PDA

View Full Version : The Passage/The Twelve

badhead
Mar 5th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Anyone read, or reading the 2 Justin Cronin epic Vampire books?

Osiris
Mar 5th, 2013, 12:29 PM
I read The Passage, and for the most part I really liked it. It isn't often that I pick up a book and have a hard time putting it back down, and this one managed to do that to me. I think I've recommended it to everyone I know like a huge book nerd. Haven't had a chance to read The Twelve yet, but it's on my shelf waiting for free time. I doubt I'll get to it this year though. Sadly, the more time I have to think about how The Passage was written, the more I have problems with it.

While, I loved the book, I'll admit my interest started to wane dramatically when the colony was introduced. There were simply too many characters to try and keep track of, and the majority of them sounded the same. Characters bled into each other, and while a good many were well developed, their voices all sounded the same. It was obviously a stretch for Cronin, but it felt like he was trying to go too big, too fast. From the time Amy returns to the moment the military is introduced the story falls apart for me. Everyone sounds the same, nobody really has an identifiable voice, everyone starts to talk the same. Even Amy sounds like everyone else. He tried to tell too complex a story, and barely pulled it off. Who is the story about? Is it about Amy? Is it about Wolgast? Is it about the colony? He crammed an entire trilogy into a single book, and it doesn't work.

That's just my opinion.

tracylittle
Jan 14th, 2020, 11:24 PM
A friend recommended The Passage, - I didn't think I would like it because he told me something about Stephen King, and I just can't read seriously scary books. But this is a wonderful read. The characters development is very good and the author really knows how to turn an elegant phrase over and over again. I found myself rereading parts just because they were so well written I just wanted to enjoy the words again before moving on. I ordered the other two parts of the trilogy and they have not been disappointing so far. I'm a quarter of the way through the third book.

valentines day gifts for her (https://valentinesdaygifts-forher.com)

carlabass
Apr 1st, 2020, 01:06 AM
The Passage was truly one of the best new novels that I have read in quite some time. Epic in scale but written with enough care that you truly feel for the main characters, this book really has a lot going for it. In some ways it is a bit reminiscent of The Stand, but for the most part The Passage is fairly original. A grand adventure, thriller, horror, love story that should easily stand the test of time and be something read over and over again.

8 ball pool (https://8ball-pool.io)

Oscar39
Mar 6th, 2024, 08:30 AM
If you're serious about becoming a better gambler, look no further than this site's https://gamblersguide.info/en/ gambler's guides. I've been using them for a while now, and I'm continually impressed by the depth of knowledge they offer. The guides cover everything from game rules to betting strategies, and they're always presented in a clear and concise manner. Thanks to this site, I've been able to approach my gambling endeavors with more confidence and skill.