PDA

View Full Version : I Never Noticed That Before!

nikvoodoo
Feb 20th, 2013, 04:42 AM
This is going to be the catch all small tid bit thread for things you noticed on a re-listen of the show. While this isn't exactly a small thing I'll start with something posted in another thread which combines Liam's thought and mine...

There's a possibility that Randy was Michael's brother. Kelly describes Michael as not fitting the only child mold early in Season 2 and it may be one of the reasons Michael won't talk about what happened at the Water Works when he broke his arm.

Osiris
Feb 20th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Sweet baby Jesus on fire, you just blew my fucking mind. I NEVER would have made that connection.

Witch_Doctor
Mar 1st, 2013, 12:42 PM
This is going to be the catch all small tid bit thread for things you noticed on a re-listen of the show. While this isn't exactly a small thing I'll start with something posted in another thread which combines Liam's thought and mine...

There's a possibility that Randy was Michael's brother. Kelly describes Michael as not fitting the only child mold early in Season 2 and it may be one of the reasons Michael won't talk about what happened at the Water Works when he broke his arm.

Interesting. He also told Kelly that coming home after his parents' deaths would have made thing worse, not better. Talking about his feelings or Talking about his family relations? Both have brown hair. He admits to Kelly that he may have lost someone when it all began, but then becomes evasive when she probes deeper. This reminds me of the conversation he has with Riley after they shoot Zombie-Cindy.

scbubba
Mar 1st, 2013, 01:35 PM
I never noticed before... Michael is only 27 years old!

Somehow I didn't pick that up before. Been thinking he was at least mid 30's or older. Hmh....

Witch_Doctor
Mar 13th, 2013, 11:41 AM
I never noticed before... Michael is only 27 years old!

Somehow I didn't pick that up before. Been thinking he was at least mid 30's or older. Hmh....

He sounds much older than 27. The actor, Jim Gleason, looks middle-aged.

Osiris
Mar 13th, 2013, 11:54 AM
I'd always thought Michael sounded like he's in his late-sixties. Sounds just like Jim . . . late-sixties. :squint: Come at me, Jim.

Witch_Doctor
Mar 13th, 2013, 04:14 PM
I noticed in 'The Harder They Fall' that there is a very HEAVY emphasis on the fact the the golf course is in Gardenia. The golf course is near Saul's house and Tammy lived in Gardenia. Gardenia was mentioned over and over by Saul and Scratch at the beginning of the episode. Could this be one of KC's 'take note of this' cues?

Lilydragon
Mar 13th, 2013, 06:24 PM

Nice build on the idea... :p So where's my mention about bringing up the brother idea in the Randy thread? Hmm... You both said you hadn't thought of it before. Not upset, just giving you a hard time. :D

scbubba
Mar 13th, 2013, 08:46 PM
He sounds much older than 27. The actor, Jim Gleason, looks middle-aged.

The sound of Jim's voice may have something to do with it. But in general Michael doesn't act like most 27 year olds. Of course, Michael is not like most 27 year olds. He served a few tours in combat zones and has experience as a leader of men.

If I could find more twenty-somethings with Michael's maturity & work ethic, hell, the start-up businesses would go a lot better...

Anyway, back to the show...

Robzombie
Mar 14th, 2013, 12:50 PM
A couple of nights ago I was again at the part where Kolani and Angel were picking up the MRE’s, and I had always wondered to myself, what is up Angels ass??? What exactly is his problem with Kolani? He had attitude about him earlier during breakfast as well, and I never got it. Then I suddenly realized what it was, he was jealous, and pissed, but I realised why. Burt had just taken over as the leader and it was obvious that Kolani had stepped in as his main advisor. So along with Michael stepping down, Angel had lost his place by default. Now his attitude makes complete sense to me; just wanted to share. Don't know how I didn't really get that before.

OldtypeM87
Mar 14th, 2013, 03:11 PM
A couple of nights ago I was again at the part where Kolani and Angel were picking up the MRE’s, and I had always wondered to myself, what is up Angels ass??? What exactly is his problem with Kolani? He had attitude about him earlier during breakfast as well, and I never got it. Then I suddenly realized what it was, he was jealous, and pissed, but I realised why. Burt had just taken over as the leader and it was obvious that Kolani had stepped in as his main advisor. So along with Michael stepping down, Angel had lost his place by default. Now his attitude makes complete sense to me; just wanted to share. Don't know how I didn't really get that before.

I thought he would be upset that he wasn't made leader instead of Michael considering he would've tried to pull rank and play the superior officer card. I saw it that he couldn't vent out at Burt, so why not take it out on the right hand man (or asskisser). It's too bad that we won't know how he would've reacted that his chum (kalani) secretly betrayed them at times to his killer.

Robzombie
May 6th, 2013, 01:37 PM
After Simon runs out and gets himself killed, the next morning at breakfast Michael says “first Carly, next Simon, wanna guess who’s next” Angel says, “That seems Wrong”. I just figured out what the hell that’s about. Always wondered but didn’t really think much about it but it always bothered me. Carly Simons middle name is Elisabeth, it’s foreshadowing of Lizzie leaving the tower. I’m sure many of you knew this but I hadn’t seen it brought up, and I might have known earlier but I’m not a fan. Yay I learned something new in WA!

Duffusmonkey
May 6th, 2013, 06:59 PM
After Simon runs out and gets himself killed, the next morning at breakfast Michael says “first Carly, next Simon, wanna guess who’s next” Angel says, “That seems Wrong”. I just figured out what the hell that’s about. Always wondered but didn’t really think much about it but it always bothered me. Carly Simons middle name is Elisabeth, it’s foreshadowing of Lizzie leaving the tower. I’m sure many of you knew this but I hadn’t seen it brought up, and I might have known earlier but I’m not a fan. Yay I learned something new in WA!

Your so vain you probably think this thread is about you

Robzombie
May 31st, 2013, 10:04 AM
Now that our team will be going on the offence, I don’t think that it was a coincidence that Saul says “I almost got her to follow scents too” (chapter 5 part 1 time 15:50). This just occurred to me, but I’ll be watching for this to play a role at some point in tracking down the z’s or more likely just tracking down Ink or Scratch specifically.

Edit: i'm talking about his dog Lady. Which happens to be with the survivors now at the colony. If it wasnt clear.

Duffusmonkey
May 31st, 2013, 06:28 PM
Hound dog is going to sniff out that ..Kitty

zombeh-kitteh
Jun 2nd, 2013, 09:40 PM
In the early episodes, Angel I think was going to try to "get in there" with Pegs, he offers to teach her how to shoot a gun when they first pick up Riley and Pegs; when they run the sweat bottle experiment, Angel comments that he's glad to see that she's "tagging along on this one"; he notices her earrings during the party before the War; she asks Angel to bring Latch's body back to the Mallers...got me thinking...could there have been "something" there? Obviously it was brief, but still...

Robzombie
Jun 2nd, 2013, 10:33 PM
Personally i dont think so. I think he was just way more in touch than michael had been, and it was just noticable. I felt that everything he said or did was just polite and considerate, which shouldnt be hard between decent people without having to have anything more between them. He just said and did some things that michael should have said or done just to show us that he wasnt really into it. Thats a big reason why i dont think anything will really happen between them in season 4.

nikvoodoo
Jun 3rd, 2013, 06:16 AM
Personally i dont think so. I think he was just way more in touch than michael had been, and it was just noticable. I felt that everything he said or did was just polite and considerate, which shouldnt be hard between decent people without having to have anything more between them. He just said and did some things that michael should have said or done just to show us that he wasnt really into it. Thats a big reason why i dont think anything will really happen between them in season 4.

I think having Pegs out of his life for the time she was in Boulder may put things in a sharper focus for Michael. I'd say there is some reconciliation of some variety I just think this time its Pegs who resists. Hurt me once shame on you, hurt me twice...Michael has his work cut out for him and with the social skills of a gnat he might have issues.

LiamKerrington
Jul 11th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Pegs will die ... Or is it just coincidence that up until now anytime a pair of survivors have shown up on the show with the first of them speaking dying ...

Tommy and Kelly - appeared together at the Tower, Tommy was the first one speaking, later he died a horribly death;
Latch and Scratch - appeared together following Lizzy, Saul, and Burt, and Latch was the first to utter words; later he died by the natural 20 Pegs rolled when attacking him;
to a certain degree: Angel and Saul - although Angel was 'there' with his voice way earlier, he actually first 'appeared' together with Saul at the military based - and he died.
Do you remember Pegs and Riley appearing the first time? They were on the roof of a flower-shop; and Pegs was the first to speak something ...

Now, is there an evil scheme?

Best wishes!
Liam

Piers O'C
Aug 28th, 2013, 08:52 AM
When i was re-listening to chapter 9 part 1, after listening to the balance of power, i picked up on the conversation between angel,datu and riley. (1min+)
datu: Whys it so important we know where they are?just to avoid it?
angel: Your not thinking in the big picture
riley: What?
Angel: If theyre all in one place, at least a nice chunk of them, its the only place you have to hit, we'd never be able to pick them off one at a time, then again we dont know how many theyre are, some of the many reasons we need to find out
Datu: So were going to count them?!

For some reason angel saying "your not thinking of the big picture" hits me, Then when he mentions knowing if a large amount of Z's are in the same place that would be the only place to hint, "We'd never be able to pick them off one at a time".

Those two phrases for some reason made me think of perhaps inks appearances, he is always watching (possibly counting) the survivors, never directly interfering until he enters both of the towers, maybe ink is tracking the remaining survivors, counting them,keeping watch and waiting until they are in a big chunk ready for a single strike (Boulder Colorado anyone?).
Then after the fall of boulder/Irwin, The cast all relocate to the colony, along with any remaining colonists/Irwin soldiers.

i know you guys will just tell me that theyre tracking the zombies to find the nest but what if it was the other way round?
we all know KC loves putting small details that are pointless at the time, then when we go back after a few chapters our minds get blown

OHH and also i forgot chapter 9 was called The road to living death....

Love to know what you guys think! :cool:

nikvoodoo
Aug 28th, 2013, 09:02 AM
I've been saying this for a very long time. Large groups of survivors got picked off first. Large groups of organized survivors I should say. Ink tested the Tower and found that they were pretty weak and lame (he was safely in and didn't call for back ups unlike at Dunbar where he immediately called the cavalry). Mallers were hardly a concern because of their weak position, but Dunbar definitely was. Organized, smart, but sadly for them predictable. They got infiltrated by the Mallers and TOWTM.

I'm not going to say that Colorado and Irwin was a specific target of TOWTM, however I will say I'm sure he wouldn't necessarily be disappointed by the outcome.

Great post, piers! :)

scbubba
Aug 28th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Definitely a great post, piers!

I don't think Ink/TOWTM/Pinstripes/Whatever was targeting or knew about Boulder and/or Fort Irwin. Those became targets of opportunity for 2nd generation Little Ones. None of his original creations (numbered Little Ones) made it to either place so I doubt he knew about them.

Otherwise, great tie in with The Road to Living Death and Angel's remarks....

Alizée
Sep 3rd, 2013, 05:51 AM
Wow! I posted back when I first signed up in June about how I had this weird gut feeling I couldn't explain. It was telling me that Randy is Michael's long-estranged brother. I shot down the idea because I thought I was reading into it too far but Lillydragon and Nik have made me think about it again. Mind blown! :D

pmchawk
Sep 3rd, 2013, 06:47 AM
I had felt there was a previous connection between Mikey and Randy. I had always felt that maybe they were step brothers, cousins, or perhaps 1 of them was adopted. It was the only way I could see what Micheal said wasnt completely a lie about his past.

Grognaurd
Sep 11th, 2013, 04:39 AM

Another non sequitur is Michael after Saul's return on the motor scooter. He is so happy, he hugs Saul! Even Saul is taken aback. Two things happen, Saul calls him Mikey and tells the story/joke of a stolen motor scooter by a zombie. Michael is deadpan in his delivery "Your not funny"

I bring this up in light of Chapter 37. He still bristles at Mikey. Still not sure if the scooter traffic accident references his parents death that we do not learn of until later or if there is another shoe to fall, but please turn the motor scooter into a crotch rocket or a high performance dirt bike. A scooter is just a major loss of coolness points...

Grognaurd
Sep 11th, 2013, 04:47 AM

My bad. I tried to rep you and frackin' fat fingered it.

pmchawk
Sep 16th, 2013, 09:12 AM
I've been listening from the beginning again and caught something. While Datu is digging he stops because he heard something. If you listen closely, it sounds like what he hears is a hand gun being shot (2 shots).

The whole Arena timeline is difficult to sort through because of when things jump back and forth they aren't neccisarrily happening at the same time. I really want to make a stretch statement on the person shooting the gun being Randy and he contacted Micheal via CB before entering, and that is how Micheal and the Mallers knew where the zombies were residing.

Chapter 10 part 2 @ about 21:50

Grognaurd
Sep 19th, 2013, 06:52 AM
I've been listening from the beginning again and caught something. While Datu is digging he stops because he heard something. If you listen closely, it sounds like what he hears is a hand gun being shot (2 shots).

The whole Arena timeline is difficult to sort through because of when things jump back and forth they aren't neccisarrily happening at the same time. I really want to make a stretch statement on the person shooting the gun being Randy and he contacted Micheal via CB before entering, and that is how Micheal and the Mallers knew where the zombies were residing.

Chapter 10 part 2 @ about 21:50

Nice catch. I have not gone back to listened to it. Could it be gunfire from Angel and Riley? Your right, the time sequence is jumbled in my head.

But, what I really like is your Randy concept. I do not know if he is shooting, but I think he plays a critical role in information transfer with Michael. We know a lot more know than we did then. My guess is Sean etal regroup with Randy at the water works before and /or after they counter attack the arena. Heck, i can even imagine Randy or somoene slamming the door on Michael's Arm to prevent him from being dragged away. The biter dragging him would then have to let go or get the door back open. In either case, it is very vunerable to counter attack. We have heard two pieces of the story. It got slammed in a door (Season 2) and it was nearly ripped off (Season 4). What I propose is a nice hybrid of the two.

Working with CJ's team is how Michael learns "Where do you go when you sleep" and is able to bring the Hummer, Burt and Saul.

Do those concrete Channels that they have run out to the arena? My guess is they were part of the route taken. Twice we hear about the graveyard of cars blocking the route -- Angel, Riley and Datu have to abandon their car to get there and again Michael references this while on the helicopter fleeing LA.

pmchawk
Sep 19th, 2013, 07:50 AM
I had debated about the guns shots being from Angel and Riley however there was no zombie scream before Datu's gun shots like there is with A/R's. both were 2 shots though.

Unit
Nov 10th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Re listening to Ch 4 now. They just started the journals and are trying to build a map and figure out the ripple. Michael makes the comment that if they can figure out where it started then that place may hold the key to ending it too. Later as they are reading the journals Michael says there is a definite pattern and it looks like the origin is in Inglewood around 9am. We don't find out till much later in the series about ground zero, but this supports the theory that ground zero is probably the origin. At least for LA.

Red Shirt
Nov 10th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Second pass pick-ups... minutiae? All right, I have my notes from my recent listen through. I missed this thread when it first went up, but I'm here now.

Sergeant Michael Cross got promoted after getting to Ft. Irwin:
His wiki lists his rank as SGT/E-5 and way back in Ch. 3 (3/3 @ 21:21) When he meets Burt for the first time, he addresses Michael as "Buck Sergeant." Buck Sergeant is a sometimes derogatory, sometimes term of endearment for E-5's. Much later in Ch. 33, (1/3 @ 24:09) he calls Carl and identifies himself as Staff Sergeant, an E-6.

When CPL Puck is being a jerk, he isn't that big of a jerk:
When correcting a newbie he says "Out falcon standing." (CH. 33 1/3 @ 4:25)
(Bonus points if you know why I highlighted it in blue.)

Early signs of the Inklings/ADLO's/Numbered Ones:
In Ch. 10 (1/3 @ 6:24) was that squeaking glass or whining?

More talking zombies:
From Lizzy's audio journal... after she gets dragged out of the truck and the recording trails off, you can hear something say "Go" or "No."

Witch_Doctor
Nov 10th, 2013, 10:39 PM
More talking zombies:
From Lizzy's audio journal... after she gets dragged out of the truck and the recording trails off, you can hear something say "Go" or "No."

I thought it was "No" but KC replied saying something like "... or maybe it was 'No'..."

Unit
Nov 10th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Not that it is really relevant to the story but in the scene when Angel and Saul find Burt and they camp out on the roof of Locked and Loaded, Angel mentions that Burt has a death grip on a revolver. The. A 'smart one' climbs up and attacks Saul, Burt shoots it off, and after the shot you hear a shell casing hit the ground. But if Birt was shooting a revolver instead of a semi-auto there wouldn't be a shell casing ejected. Again not that it really matters but I'm a gun fanatic and it's something that stood out to me as out of place.

skankyfish
Nov 11th, 2013, 03:30 AM
In episode 16-3, right at the start, Angel tells Kalani that he recognised Latch's body because of his ring. He says he remembered because someone asked if they should take it off him. He also knows that his real name is John; he tells Kalani that it's because Pegs told him, but I thought Pegs didn't tell anyone anything about that moment?

That, to me, sounds like a cover story, and the first hint about The Family. I wonder if there are any others to pick up?

Unit
Nov 17th, 2013, 01:35 AM
Just finished re listening to the Purgatory chapter about Datu, Angel and Riley's adventure into the arena.

When Angel and Riley finally find the room Datu is in the door is locked on the outside, they go into the room next to it and find the hole Datu and Samantha made. And obviously Datu can't get out because it is locked on the inside too. So how do the zombies open the door to pick the next victim for the pit? Do they use a key?

We hear in Ch 1 when Michael, Angel and Saul lock themselves in the gun vault that they left the key in the door outside but none of the biters noticed or could figure it out.

Does this point to the evolutution of logic and cognitive abilities in the biters getting stronger? Are the ones in the Arena just some of the 'smart ones' and this part of Ink's close entourage? Or is it just a meaningless oversight in the story and isn't intended to be anything more than a reason to use the hole in the wall they worked so hard to make?

Interesting thoughts...

tonyhind86
Nov 17th, 2013, 06:39 AM
When Angel and Riley finally find the room Datu is in the door is locked on the outside, they go into the room next to it and find the hole Datu and Samantha made. And obviously Datu can't get out because it is locked on the inside too. So how do the zombies open the door to pick the next victim for the pit? Do they use a key?

Wasn't there a mention of a heavy bar on the outside of the door?

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Nov 17th, 2013, 10:14 AM
It has never occurred to me before, but the name Pegs / Peggy is derived from Magaret whose Marka meaning is "chicken." And Pegs' call sign was "Chicken Little", was it not? Hm.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_(name)

Robzombie
Nov 17th, 2013, 03:31 PM
I don't recall any mention whatsoever of how the door was kept shut. Might simply be that Datu and Samantha never actually saw them remove anything from the front or heard the click of a key to be able to say and recall...

or, they might have mentioned a bar, I don't remember.

Unit
Nov 17th, 2013, 04:04 PM
I don't remember mention of a bar. I'll have to go back and listen to the part where they bring Datu in, but Angel and Riley don't mention it.

Unit
Nov 22nd, 2013, 10:59 AM
I know I am probably too anal about all things firearms but does it bother anyone else how they all call their magazines 'clips'? I just re-listened to The War chapter from season 1 and it made me cringe every time, especially when Burt, Michael, Saul or Angel did it, they are trained soldiers (and a firearms dealer)! :mad:

scbubba
Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:42 AM
I know I am probably too anal about all things firearms but does it bother anyone else how they all call their magazines 'clips'? I just re-listened to The War chapter from season 1 and it made me cringe every time, especially when Burt, Michael, Saul or Angel did it, they are trained soldiers (and a firearms dealer)! :mad:

It's a pet peeve of mine but I had to let it go for WA. That being said, I do hear people that know better still call mags clips from time to time....

Unit
Dec 7th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Listening again I just realize how hard Kalani had to work to keep up his ruse. He must have had one heck of a poker face. There are so many situations he had to play dumb or pretend he was just being friendly when he was really fishing for info. And nobody seemed to notice anything, even us the listeners. I think his character was masterfully written.

Looking from that lens though and knowing how well KC can write, I wonder what other jaw dropping surprises we will get from our characters? I think once the season ends we will need to go back and re listen again and still be wondering 'Man! How did I miss that?'

Robzombie
Dec 7th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Listening again I just realize how hard Kalani had to work to keep up his ruse. He must have had one heck of a poker face. There are so many situations he had to play dumb or pretend he was just being friendly when he was really fishing for info. And nobody seemed to notice anything, even us the listeners. I think his character was masterfully written.

Looking from that lens though and knowing how well KC can write, I wonder what other jaw dropping surprises we will get from our characters? I think once the season ends we will need to go back and re listen again and still be wondering 'Man! How did I miss that?'

Yeah I've listened front to back about 40 times in the past 2 years and I still catch something every once in a while that I missed before.

Unit
Dec 7th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Holy cow that is a lot of listening haha

Kc
Dec 7th, 2013, 11:18 AM

Mark my words... one day I'll go back and fix every last one... but it'll most likely be in the remastered version. Podcast episodes rarely get edited.

EDIT: I'll leave Angels. He's an officer, and new at that.

Unit
Dec 7th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Mark my words... one day I'll go back and fix every last one... but it'll most likely be in the remastered version. Podcast episodes rarely get edited.

EDIT: I'll leave Angels. He's an officer, and new at that.

Haha, that is awesome. Angel, poor lil tyke, he tries so hard :)

Unit
Dec 8th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Going through the whole show again. I am wondering if at some point we will learn more about Sean. We hear so much about thing that he did since Z-Day, but still don't really seem to have any idea who he is or was. It feels like he is in limbo land between being a red shirt and a main character.

Unit
Dec 27th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Going through a relisten I am surprised how many times people ask Michael if he read something and he hasn't. It's his idea to do the logs, but then after the first few days he doesn't seem interested in reading them anymore. He doesn't read Carl's report about what happened at the Chinook. He is supposed to be a MI Analyst but he doesn't ever seem to want to analyze the intel he has haha.

And I can't count how many times Tanya asks him if he has read the journals and he hasn't. The annoying part is they usually start to argue and so if feels like we never really get out of Tanya whatever discovery she has made. It seems like Tanya has made herself into a zombie expert, but that knowledge seems to stay mostly with her. If we do lose Tanya at some point that will be quite a loss.

Unit
Dec 27th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Once Michael signs his new orders and gets filled in by Kimmet at Irwin we are told that Irwin has outposts 'all over the place' on various 'special missions'. We know about the team to Pantex to get the nukes (though that was when they first arrived) and we know about the team to Long Beach where Long gets hit. But what other teams? Where did they go? Were they taken out in the nuke blasts as well or was Kimmet embellishing a little on how many teams they had in how many places? Or will we run into another team at some point who was out when the blast happened and has been wandering looking for other survivors since?

Grognaurd
Dec 27th, 2013, 09:36 AM
In real life, Dick Cheney came in and put RR's Continuity of Goverment on steroids. I still think the damage to the country was so much that many sites went dark and off the air. I hope they begin to awaken at the one year mark. But, I think a lot more is known about the world than is written into the story, because it is about the characters and events surrounding Michael.

Kc
Dec 27th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Going through a relisten I am surprised how many times people ask Michael if he read something and he hasn't. It's his idea to do the logs, but then after the first few days he doesn't seem interested in reading them anymore. He doesn't read Carl's report about what happened at the Chinook. He is supposed to be a MI Analyst but he doesn't ever seem to want to analyze the intel he has haha.

And I can't count how many times Tanya asks him if he has read the journals and he hasn't. The annoying part is they usually start to argue and so if feels like we never really get out of Tanya whatever discovery she has made. It seems like Tanya has made herself into a zombie expert, but that knowledge seems to stay mostly with her. If we do lose Tanya at some point that will be quite a loss.
Sometimes it's just audio-drama mechanics coming out. They have to tell us things rather than read them, so sometimes it's better to do it this way. Michael hadn't read the report yet from Carl, and if he had they might have responded to Boulder sooner. Story-wise, it was better that he didn't, since it was intended for Boulder to fall.

Unit
Dec 27th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Sometimes it's just audio-drama mechanics coming out. They have to tell us things rather than read them, so sometimes it's better to do it this way. Michael hadn't read the report yet from Carl, and if he had they might have responded to Boulder sooner. Story-wise, it was better that he didn't, since it was intended for Boulder to fall.

That makes sense. Wasn't there a time when Tanya asks if Michael had read the journals, they argue a little and she walks away and says she will talk to him when he gets his head right, but we don't really hear what he she was going to tell him that she found? I'll have to go back and listen again. That may have been to help develop the character's personalities but I am the overly curious type haha

Grognaurd
Dec 27th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Yea, happened just before Tanya Storms off and is subsequently dragged by Randy.

Red Shirt
Dec 27th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Once Michael signs his new orders and gets filled in by Kimmet at Irwin we are told that Irwin has outposts 'all over the place' on various 'special missions'. We know about the team to Pantex to get the nukes (though that was when they first arrived) and we know about the team to Long Beach where Long gets hit. But what other teams? Where did they go? Were they taken out in the nuke blasts as well or was Kimmet embellishing a little on how many teams they had in how many places? Or will we run into another team at some point who was out when the blast happened and has been wandering looking for other survivors since?

That was the "Info Dump" briefing that tool place at the beginning of Chapter 29; 2/3. I summarized it HERE (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?4653-First-one-to-post-here&p=63377#post63377), but the juicy parts you are referring to are:

Ch. 29 2/3 @ 1:32 "There has been a great deal of time and energy establishing a decent range of communications." (Implies relay stations.)
Ch. 29 2/3 @ 1:42 "This map shows Irwin and all the current locations of our personnel." "They're scattered all over." (Rescue, Special Ops, Recon mentioned later.)
Ch. 29 2/3 @ 3:12 "...and how many out in the field?" "By last count, I think 182." (The "in the field" count may not include outposts.)
Something worth mentioning in the second pass minutiae vein was something that happened later that relates to the content of the briefing. (I also mention it with the summary.)
During the siege and fall of Ft. Irwin at 11:43, Kimmet kicks Michael and Puck out of the C&C. Before Michael leaves he steals a sat phone and a directory. Later at 11:59, "What'd ya swipe?" "One of the sat phones and the directory. All the line numbers."

In real life, Dick Cheney came in and put RR's Continuity of Goverment on steroids. I still think the damage to the country was so much that many sites went dark and off the air. I hope they begin to awaken at the one year mark. But, I think a lot more is known about the world than is written into the story, because it is about the characters and events surrounding Michael.

Continuity of Government, also known as Continuity of Operations (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuity_of_Operations), is a fascinating, yet eerily terrifying subject. Not just Regan era... the entirety of the Red Scare "Duck and Cover" Cold war era. Also included among them are the Civil Defense, CONELRAD (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONELRAD), the NEAR Program (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Emergency_Alarm_Repeater), Autovon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autovon) and the DSN (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Switched_Network), EBS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Broadcast_System) & EAS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Alert_System)... Primary, secondary, tertiary, quaternary and so on layers of operational redundancy that are a rabbit hole of operational contingencies. It's no wonder that some of those programs and activities use names and phrases from Alice in Wonderland. Operation Looking Glass, Wonderland and so on.

Among those, I would like to know the status on NORAD at Cheyenne Mountain (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheyenne_Mountain). The facility was built to withstand a 30 megaton blast within one mile of the facility. I'm sure once it went hermetic, nothing would get in there.

Unit
Dec 27th, 2013, 10:29 PM
That was the "Info Dump" briefing that tool place at the beginning of Chapter 29; 2/3. I summarized it HERE (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?4653-First-one-to-post-here&p=63377#post63377), but the juicy parts you are referring to are:

Ch. 29 2/3 @ 1:32 "There has been a great deal of time and energy establishing a decent range of communications." (Implies relay stations.)
Ch. 29 2/3 @ 1:42 "This map shows Irwin and all the current locations of our personnel." "They're scattered all over." (Rescue, Special Ops, Recon mentioned later.)
Ch. 29 2/3 @ 3:12 "...and how many out in the field?" "By last count, I think 182." (The "in the field" count may not include outposts.)

Something worth mentioning in the second pass minutiae vein was something that happened later that relates to the content of the briefing. (I also mention it with the summary.)
During the siege and fall of Ft. Irwin at 11:43, Kimmet kicks Michael and Puck out of the C&C. Before Michael leaves he steals a sat phone and a directory. Later at 11:59, "What'd ya swipe?" "One of the sat phones and the directory. All the line numbers."

Continuity of Government, also known as Continuity of Operations (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuity_of_Operations), is a fascinating, yet eerily terrifying subject. Not just Regan era... the entirety of the Red Scare "Duck and Cover" Cold war era. Also included among them are the Civil Defense, CONELRAD (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONELRAD), the NEAR Program (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Emergency_Alarm_Repeater), Autovon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autovon) and the DSN (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Switched_Network), EBS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Broadcast_System) & EAS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Alert_System)... Primary, secondary, tertiary, quaternary and so on layers of operational redundancy that are a rabbit hole of operational contingencies. It's no wonder that some of those programs and activities use names and phrases from Alice in Wonderland. Operation Looking Glass, Wonderland and so on.

Among those, I would like to know the status on NORAD at Cheyenne Mountain (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheyenne_Mountain). The facility was built to withstand a 30 megaton blast within one mile of the facility. I'm sure once it went hermetic, nothing would get in there.

Fantastic analysis, I've thought about NORAD before too and all the other bunkers scattered everywhere. They could survive years without having to crack the door open.

Lilydragon
Dec 30th, 2013, 07:20 AM

I was right!! Randy was a brother in arms to Michael!! Oh, yeah!! Happy Dance!!

scbubba
Dec 30th, 2013, 07:58 AM

Fantastic analysis, I've thought about NORAD before too and all the other bunkers scattered everywhere. They could survive years without having to crack the door open.

One thing to note on Cheyenne Mountain, once it's sealed, nothing gets out either. Depending on how things happened, Cheyenne Mtn could have been overrun if there were turners in the guards/staff on-site. It takes a little bit of time to close off the doors and perhaps one or more (it just takes one, after all) got in and then everything got sealed up. For all we know, it could be quite a zombie hive at this point.....

ShaunCurry
Jan 6th, 2014, 11:22 PM
i am too shocked to get the facts were all unknown to me yet .. quite interesting the read has been

Unit
Jan 16th, 2014, 08:57 AM
In ch39 Chemical Reactions, when Michael and team bring in the bitten trainee girl and the dead behemoth, Tanya is looking at the girl and she says her eyes haven't started to cloud over but that she has definitely already begun to turn. How does she know that the girl is turning already?

The girl is unconscious from chloroform and from what I remember the only ways we know that a person has begun to turn are the eyes, aggression, or they feel themselves turning... none of which we had in this scenario.

Kc
Jan 16th, 2014, 09:07 AM
In ch39 Chemical Reactions, when Michael and team bring in the bitten trainee girl and the dead behemoth, Tanya is looking at the girl and she says her eyes haven't started to cloud over but that she has definitely already begun to turn. How does she know that the girl is turning already?

The girl is unconscious from chloroform and from what I remember the only ways we know that a person has begun to turn are the eyes, aggression, or they feel themselves turning... none of which we had in this scenario.

Eyes can still give signs even though they haven't clouded over. At that scene, they are close to starting to cloud.

Unit
Jan 16th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Eyes can still give signs even though they haven't clouded over. At that scene, they are close to starting to cloud.

Interesting. I wonder then if this is a slow process or the last final step? Could/should the Tinks and Datu be checking their eyes as well as their k-18 levels to see if there are actual signs of turning... hmmm

alexcadtek
Jan 16th, 2014, 11:29 AM
I think Tanaya might have seen other signs but was just so qucik on getting her in the lab that she maybe did not describe anything else. Maybe the girl had high fever or something else that gave Tanya the signs.

Gooer
Jan 29th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Chapter 27-2 - they used the same audio clip when Kalani was going to the basement to mix cement as the audio clip in Chapter 4-1 when installing the security gate. Nothing important, but i just noticed...

Gooer
Jan 31st, 2015, 12:44 PM
Didn't realise that when Kalani said "Smile you son of a bitch!" to the downed Behemoth in 18-3, it was a reference to the death of the shark in Jaws......

werewolf
Jan 31st, 2015, 04:29 PM
Didn't realise that when Kalani said "Smile you son of a bitch!" to the downed Behemoth in 18-3, it was a reference to the death of the shark in Jaws......

yea it took me a long time to place that too. Why would he like it so much. I remember seeing it when it first came out, it gave nightmares for a week. (I was 12 at that time, wanted to be an oceanographer at that time. that movie change that right quick)

GamerGirl
Feb 1st, 2015, 01:06 AM
I honestly don't remember seeing Jaws, but Jaws 2 is the reason I skipped the shark encounter at Sea World in Florida when I was like 10...... And apparently the staff was use to that reaction.

(Sorry for the random comment - I just missed talking to you guys....,)

werewolf
Feb 2nd, 2015, 08:08 PM
I honestly don't remember seeing Jaws, but Jaws 2 is the reason I skipped the shark encounter at Sea World in Florida when I was like 10...... And apparently the staff was use to that reaction.

(Sorry for the random comment - I just missed talking to you guys....,)
yea I know I feel the same. its like a big part of my life was ripped away.
hell, with all that has happened this passed year. I am looking to make it into a country song. lol

GamerGirl
Feb 9th, 2015, 12:17 AM
yea I know I feel the same. its like a big part of my life was ripped away.
hell, with all that has happened this passed year. I am looking to make it into a country song. lol

If you make it a country song & play it backwards you'll get it all back.

(Sorry for the old school joke - but seriously - I hope things get better)

werewolf
Feb 12th, 2015, 07:52 PM
If you make it a country song & play it backwards you'll get it all back.

(Sorry for the old school joke - but seriously - I hope things get better)

to be honest I dont want it back. good residence to bad girl friend.

stargazer18
Jul 26th, 2016, 09:05 AM
(spoilers because the show has now ended)

I listened to the whole thing on a four day binge, and I've now gone back to the start to re-listen to it
And the one things more than anything else that really gets to me was that THEY KNEW ABOUT INK IN LIKE THE THIRD EPISODE
Lizzy finds the TiVo and they literally watch a clip about Ink's trial and what he had done and about his tattoos and Micheal TELLS HER TO FAST FROWARD
THEY JUST FAST FORWARD THROUGH IT WHILE I WAS SCREAMING 'NOOOO STOP GO BACK'

After realising how important that information becomes in the fourth season it just bloody kills me to know it was RIGHT THERE at the very beginning :'(

KPCoyote
Jul 26th, 2016, 02:32 PM
(spoilers because the show has now ended)

I listened to the whole thing on a four day binge, and I've now gone back to the start to re-listen to it
And the one things more than anything else that really gets to me was that THEY KNEW ABOUT INK IN LIKE THE THIRD EPISODE
Lizzy finds the TiVo and they literally watch a clip about Ink's trial and what he had done and about his tattoos and Micheal TELLS HER TO FAST FROWARD
THEY JUST FAST FORWARD THROUGH IT WHILE I WAS SCREAMING 'NOOOO STOP GO BACK'

After realising how important that information becomes in the fourth season it just bloody kills me to know it was RIGHT THERE at the very beginning :'(

KC plants information like that through the entire series. When you take the time to follow all the red strings it will blow your mind. Check out Apartment2c onYoutube at 7:30pm Tuesday nights for even more about the episodes and the actors that play the characters in the show.

Witch_Doctor
Jul 26th, 2016, 07:13 PM
KC plants information like that through the entire series. When you take the time to follow all the red strings it will blow your mind. Check out Apartment2c onYoutube at 7:30pm Tuesday nights for even more about the episodes and the actors that play the characters in the show.

He plants a lot of red herring too. But that's what make the show so great.