PDA

View Full Version : "Old" Reputation Mechanism gone?

scbubba
Feb 14th, 2013, 04:33 AM
So, is the old Reputation mechanism (the star at the bottom) now completely gone in favor of the Like/Dislike functions?

Not complaining, just not sure since nik's last post in the Rep System thread over in the Newbie section still talks about using the star.

Forum changes are looking really good. Keep up the great work, y'all!

nikvoodoo
Feb 14th, 2013, 06:18 AM
So, is the old Reputation mechanism (the star at the bottom) now completely gone in favor of the Like/Dislike functions?

Not complaining, just not sure since nik's last post in the Rep System thread over in the Newbie section still talks about using the star.

Forum changes are looking really good. Keep up the great work, y'all!

Yes, the old Star system is gone now. I will do an update to the post later today (most likely later tonight) to update the information.

Thanks for catching it before I got a chance to sneak the update in....ya jerk... ;)

scbubba
Feb 14th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Yes, the old Star system is gone now. I will do an update to the post later today (most likely later tonight) to update the information.

Thanks for catching it before I got a chance to sneak the update in....ya jerk... ;)

Awww, you say the sweetest things.... :)

Osiris
Feb 14th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Yeah. Right after I made a helpful "how to" for the noobs? Kc long cocks me with a new system.

scbubba
Feb 14th, 2013, 09:19 AM

On a related note (related to the rep system, not my jerkiness), do points still work the same (based on the clicking user's rep) or is it a flat # of points per like now?

Thanks!

Edit: I think I found the answer. The "Earn Points" break down says you get 5 pts per like. It still has the 4x listing for reputation but if that old system is gone, then I'm guessing nobody is getting those points from here on out. (Info here: http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/xperience.php?go=earn)

Kc
Feb 14th, 2013, 10:21 AM
On a related note (related to the rep system, not my jerkiness), do points still work the same (based on the clicking user's rep) or is it a flat # of points per like now?

Thanks!

Edit: I think I found the answer. The "Earn Points" break down says you get 5 pts per like. It still has the 4x listing for reputation but if that old system is gone, then I'm guessing nobody is getting those points from here on out. (Info here: http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/xperience.php?go=earn)

Hmmm... that's a good point. I may have to add a function to that somehow.

Kc
Feb 14th, 2013, 10:25 AM

Ok, so EACH Like you get +2 rep points. For Each Dislike someone throws on you, you lose 2 rep points. Is this fair? Should the points be slightly different?

scbubba
Feb 14th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Ok, so EACH Like you get +2 rep points. For Each Dislike someone throws on you, you lose 2 rep points. Is this fair? Should the points be slightly different?

I think the old system was weighted towards positive rep giving more points than negative rep took away (like a 2 to 1 ratio maybe). But in that system you could only rep a post one time - meaning no positive rep followed by "taking it away" negative rep. The like system basically has an "undo" where you can dislike something to remove the like (and vice versa).

So, all that to say this - I think the +2/-2 sounds like a good system given the differences in the rep vs like systems.

The whole place is looking good, Kc....

reaper239
Feb 14th, 2013, 10:47 AM
i prefer the system that built the ammount of rep you gave based on your rep in the community.

nikvoodoo
Feb 14th, 2013, 12:16 PM
I agree with Reaper. When we had ridiculous standards for rep, no one but those who donated ever got above 3 green bars. This would be like going back into that system again. Can we make the like/dislike system work in the same way the Rep system worked?

Osiris
Feb 14th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Are the "loved" awards affected by reputation? If so, are they applied retroactively based on the old system?

Kc
Feb 14th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Are the "loved" awards affected by reputation? If so, are they applied retroactively based on the old system?

Loved" awards are based ONLY on "Likes" not reputation. I have re-enabled the old reputation button for now. I'm not sure the "Like" system would negate the old one. Perhaps I leave both systems running? 2 rep points per like seems reasonable and would be used often.

My concern is our reputation scale is a bit large. Perhaps we should scale it back somewhat? Or at least give people a larger goal to reach. Thoughts?

nikvoodoo
Feb 14th, 2013, 01:47 PM
I said it behind the scenes, but I'd be perfectly happy to rescale the rep. Back when we were only giving out 2-3 points per post, 1000 rep points seemed impossible to get to. Now that we unleashed the beast of REPPING POWER...maybe we can redo our level structure to accommodate the new power wielded.

Kc
Feb 14th, 2013, 01:51 PM
I said it behind the scenes, but I'd be perfectly happy to rescale the rep. Back when we were only giving out 2-3 points per post, 1000 rep points seemed impossible to get to. Now that we unleashed the beast of REPPING POWER...maybe we can redo our level structure to accommodate the new power wielded.

I agree. Perhaps the "liking " unscaled isn't a bad way to go if the scale was different.

nikvoodoo
Feb 14th, 2013, 01:53 PM
I agree. Perhaps the "liking " unscaled isn't a bad way to go if the scale was different.
I'll work on a scale on my way home from work. Top out around......Say.....5000?

Osiris
Feb 14th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Loved" awards are based ONLY on "Likes" not reputation. I have re-enabled the old reputation button for now. I'm not sure the "Like" system would negate the old one. Perhaps I leave both systems running? 2 rep points per like seems reasonable and would be used often.

My concern is our reputation scale is a bit large. Perhaps we should scale it back somewhat? Or at least give people a larger goal to reach. Thoughts?

It would be important to define both precisely. Right now it seems like the two blend together. The "beloved member" would seem to suggest someone who has built a reputation within the community, as opposed to someone who posts something funny that people "liked." Perhaps just combining the two, adjusting the levels at which awards are attained, and avoid the confusion of people understanding the definitions of each. I'd say keep the way the system works as far as regular rep goes (the bars) and use the awarded hearts for levels within (much like the old flower and star) for levels reached within.

x2 per like could end up bumping someone into the thousands quick enough that goals become attainable, but not common.

Osiris
Feb 14th, 2013, 01:56 PM

I'd blame me for that one.

nikvoodoo
Feb 14th, 2013, 05:09 PM
I'd blame me for that one.

I would be too, but we put hard limits on admins. That may go away moving forward.

In the here and now, I've expanded the rep scale to what may be a more realistic scale to today's forum. I've added a level too. So once we recalculate we're all going to lose green bars under our profile pics. Don't be alarmed.

Osiris
Feb 14th, 2013, 05:16 PM
I would be too, but we put hard limits on admins. That may go away moving forward.

In the here and now, I've expanded the rep scale to what may be a more realistic scale to today's forum. I've added a level too. So once we recalculate we're all going to lose green bars under our profile pics. Don't be alarmed.

SWEET BABY JESUS ON FIRE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I'm ok with it.

Edit*

I just read your update in the "Rep Thread" over at the front desk. What I'm understanding from that is that rep is now based on likes. So is this retroactive with regards to the "loved" achievement, or is that still separate of the rep system. It's confusing.

Osiris
Feb 14th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Unless that post is old.

Litmaster
Feb 14th, 2013, 05:27 PM

It would be important to define both precisely. Right now it seems like the two blend together. The "beloved member" would seem to suggest someone who has built a reputation within the community, as opposed to someone who posts something funny that people "liked." Perhaps just combining the two, adjusting the levels at which awards are attained, and avoid the confusion of people understanding the definitions of each. I'd say keep the way the system works as far as regular rep goes (the bars) and use the awarded hearts for levels within (much like the old flower and star) for levels reached within.

x2 per like could end up bumping someone into the thousands quick enough that goals become attainable, but not common.

Since we're on the subject, is there any way to build in some REP power for really quality, thought-out posts vs. just a quick funny joke? I don't mind either, but it seems like of foolish that a complete newbie suddenly gets promoted from a Level 1 Cutpurse to a Lv. 6 Cat-Burglar just because Lv. 25 Nikvoodoo laughs at one of his jokes. And it seems to me that the awesome weight of the REP power would weigh more heavily on those most endowed with it, lest their monster-dong powers of approval inadvertently come crashing down on the unworthy...

Simply put:
- There should be a way for the Witch Doctors of the world to get a 'high five' for a clever post, but ...

- There should also be a provision for the Cabbage Patch's of the world to get more serious (and weighty) recognition for one of his incredible, map-laden, logistical posts.

Thoughts?

Osiris
Feb 14th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Since we're on the subject, is there any way to build in some REP power for really quality, thought-out posts vs. just a quick funny joke? I don't mind either, but it seems like of foolish that a complete newbie suddenly gets promoted from a Level 1 Cutpurse to a Lv. 6 Cat-Burglar just because Lv. 25 Nikvoodoo laughs at one of his jokes. And it seems to be that the awesome weight of the REP power would weigh more heavily on those most endowed with it, lest their monster-dong powers of approval inadvertently come crashing down on the unworthy...

Simply put:
- There should be a way for the Witch Doctors of the world to get a 'high five' for a clever post, but ...

- There should also be a provision for the Cabbage Patch's of the world to be more serious (and weighty) recognition for one of his incredible, map-laden, logistical posts.

Thoughts?

I completely agree. It's the difference between knowing who pushed the flower pot off the ledge in season one, and calculating the fallout of a nuclear blast over a five day travel time to a safe-zone. That's the downfall of linking "likes" to rep. Rep is built, likes are not.

/two cents

Bear in mind, this isn't a complaint, but a genuine criticism of the system as my understand of it allows. I'd rather see contributions of substance awarded, more than anything else. But I love the idea of something given as incentive to participate. It's just a blurry line between the two, and I suppose it might be too subjective to accurately define the borders of each.

nikvoodoo
Feb 14th, 2013, 06:32 PM
What we have right now is a combination of both. Click the thumbs up/down you give (or take away) 2 points. The star has returned meaning you can rep as you always have wielding your usual reputation power. Star the posts you love. Thumbs up the posts you just like

Litmaster
Feb 14th, 2013, 06:34 PM
What we have right now is a combination of both. Click the thumbs up/down you give (or take away) 2 points. The star has returned meaning you can rep as you always have wielding your usual reputation power. Star the posts you love. Thumbs up the posts you just like

That sounds like it will work. Now how to make it more widely understood?

nikvoodoo
Feb 14th, 2013, 06:37 PM
That sounds like it will work. Now how to make it more widely understood?

once the dust settles from all the changes around here, I'll update the rep post in rules and regulations. I was going to today, but the system changed 2/3 times...I'll just wait till everything is done changing.

scbubba
Feb 14th, 2013, 08:01 PM
I completely agree. It's the difference between knowing who pushed the flower pot off the ledge in season one, and calculating the fallout of a nuclear blast over a five day travel time to a safe-zone. That's the downfall of linking "likes" to rep. Rep is built, likes are not.

/two cents

Bear in mind, this isn't a complaint, but a genuine criticism of the system as my understand of it allows. I'd rather see contributions of substance awarded, more than anything else. But I love the idea of something given as incentive to participate. It's just a blurry line between the two, and I suppose it might be too subjective to accurately define the borders of each.

I like what you are saying (as evidenced by the thumbs up on your post :) ) but isn't the system really going to work based on what each user decides to star? In other words, the community decides what is rep-worthy.

Unless we want to have people moderate the rep-giving such that it is more like the award system... Which I don't think anyone wants....

Osiris
Feb 14th, 2013, 08:18 PM
I like what you are saying (as evidenced by the thumbs up on your post :) ) but isn't the system really going to work based on what each user decides to star? In other words, the community decides what is rep-worthy.

Unless we want to have people moderate the rep-giving such that it is more like the award system... Which I don't think anyone wants....

Well that's just it, what is rep worthy to one, may not be to another. What had me wondering was how the two were linked--mostly the questions came up during one of the changes when the star went away completely and rep was based in the "like" world. It's like the difference between liking a link on Facebook and sharing it, or re-tweets vs. favourites. One has slightly more "meaning" behind it than the other.

One thing I would really love to see is the ability to give an award that you possess to another user that you feel deserves it.

Example:

I've got the "Most Awesome Post Ever" award because of "whatever reason." I'm reading through another post about Angel's "what have you" and I come across a post that makes me say, "By Odin's Raven, I'd never, in my entire life, looked at it that way!" because of something that reaper(whatever numbers you want) posts. It'd be nice to be able to hand over the "Most Awesome Post Ever" award to him right here on the spot.

I guess that's a little like bestowing user points on another member. You're giving something of yourself to another. It's almost worth having a finite number of points in play, and users having to share them with each other. Rep you give isn't just appearing out of thin air . . . it's like you're vouching for them by giving them rep points that you have. I'm just spit-ballin' here.

On the subject of favourites, that'd be a really interesting feature to introduce. The ability to favourite a post.

scbubba
Feb 15th, 2013, 03:51 AM
Well that's just it, what is rep worthy to one, may not be to another. What had me wondering was how the two were linked--mostly the questions came up during one of the changes when the star went away completely and rep was based in the "like" world. It's like the difference between liking a link on Facebook and sharing it, or re-tweets vs. favourites. One has slightly more "meaning" behind it than the other.

One thing I would really love to see is the ability to give an award that you possess to another user that you feel deserves it.

Example:

I've got the "Most Awesome Post Ever" award because of "whatever reason." I'm reading through another post about Angel's "what have you" and I come across a post that makes me say, "By Odin's Raven, I'd never, in my entire life, looked at it that way!" because of something that reaper(whatever numbers you want) posts. It'd be nice to be able to hand over the "Most Awesome Post Ever" award to him right here on the spot.

I guess that's a little like bestowing user points on another member. You're giving something of yourself to another. It's almost worth having a finite number of points in play, and users having to share them with each other. Rep you give isn't just appearing out of thin air . . . it's like you're vouching for them by giving them rep points that you have. I'm just spit-ballin' here.

On the subject of favourites, that'd be a really interesting feature to introduce. The ability to favourite a post.

I hear ya. If we have at least two ways to "spread the love" then I think the community will settle into working similar to what you're talking about - likes for casual stuff (and fewer points) and star/rep for the awesome stuff (and correspondingly more points).

I really like that idea of having some sort of finite, precious resource that you can gather and either horde or dole out based on your preferences, etc. So maybe a third way to do it as well. Likes will get used a lot, rep would get used less often, and favorite (or some other name) would get used infrequently.

The key will be making sure it's pretty easy for folks to understand the what/how of the system. Then it'll find it's own balance as people use it. May have to adjust levels/titles etc once we see how things are going.

LiamKerrington
Feb 21st, 2013, 11:59 AM
Ok, I have a question ...

The like/ not like buttons allow me to spread love/ misery 2-point-wise on any possible posting available.
Sharing love/ disapproval via the star still works basically in that way that I cannot approve/ disapprove someone more often; it is still the mechanic: If I 'love' - as an example - Osiris with hitting star => approve, then I will have to consider several others with my love, before I would be allowed to love Osiris again.
In contrary the like/ not like buttons are open/ active anytime ... Is this meant to be that way? Or is this in the mode of "let's get the dust settled and see then again"?

All the best!
Liam

Litmaster
Feb 21st, 2013, 02:19 PM
Sharing love/ disapproval via the star still works basically in that way that I cannot approve/ disapprove someone more often; it is still the mechanic: If I 'love' - as an example - Osiris with hitting star => approve, then I will have to consider several others with my love, before I would be allowed to love Osiris again.
In contrary the like/ not like buttons are open/ active anytime ... Is this meant to be that way?

Uh...yeah. So, the 'like' button is more like flirting, whereas the 'star' button is more like...sex?? O_o

Wait-- is Kc promoting promiscuity??!?

Osiris
Feb 21st, 2013, 02:26 PM
Everybody wants to sex me.

nikvoodoo
Feb 21st, 2013, 03:22 PM
Ok, I have a question ...

The like/ not like buttons allow me to spread love/ misery 2-point-wise on any possible posting available.
In contrary the like/ not like buttons are open/ active anytime ... Is this meant to be that way? Or is this in the mode of "let's get the dust settled and see then again"?

All the best!
Liam

Yes. Thumbs up/Down are meant to be this way. Less power wielding in thumbs than stars. The star still requires 5 reps between giving love to the same user.

Osiris
Feb 21st, 2013, 03:59 PM
Yes. Thumbs up/Down are meant to be this way. Less power wielding in thumbs than stars. The star still requires 5 reps between giving love to the same user.

"I got bitches in different area codes"

LiamKerrington
Feb 21st, 2013, 10:30 PM

Ok. I understand that (now). How "strong" is the "loving" with the Star-Repping compared with the liking and cuddling? I tried to find out, but somehow I am stupid enough to miss that point.
The reason for raising these questions: since the liking and cuddling I have the impression that many folks around are in a cuddline-frenzy ... (Which is kind of sweet, and I am kind of all in as well ...)

All the best!
Liam