PDA

View Full Version : Custom User Titles

Osiris
Nov 21st, 2012, 08:30 PM
Dear Reader,

Will there ever be an option for members who reach a certain post count to have the option of changing their user title or will that always remain a paid feature?

Sincerely,

Active User

Solanine
Nov 26th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I does Agree. Although I still intend on donating (problems with papal account won't go into details). It feels like cheating.
Some people put a lot more time and effort than I do to keep this forum alive and the community healthy.
Seems logical they should be rewarded for it.

Kc
Nov 26th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Perhaps a certain reputation level could warrant that. Post count would just warrant spam. Any other mods want to weigh in on this?

Osiris
Nov 26th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Perhaps a certain reputation level could warrant that. Post count would just warrant spam. Any other mods want to weigh in on this?

That makes a lot of sense. I would agree with that.

Solanine
Nov 26th, 2012, 09:02 AM
What sounds like a reasonable bar to set?
Some people have very high rep powers, its no good if Nick or Kc instantly promote someone to that level without realising.

Osiris
Nov 26th, 2012, 09:25 AM
What sounds like a reasonable bar to set?
Some people have very high rep powers, its no good if Nick or Kc instantly promote someone to that level without realising.

1500 seems reasonable.

P.S. I just repped the fuck out of Kc.

Deacon_Tyler
Nov 26th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I *should* have a rep power of like 30 or 40. My words have, historically, been transcribed onto stone tablets or a burning bush or some kind of bullshit like that.

Regardless, I'm told that I'm pretty incredible by several voices in my head.

...I've also killed 14 zombies. 14!

Osiris
Nov 26th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I *should* have a rep power of like 30 or 40. My words have, historically, been transcribed onto stone tablets or a burning bush or some kind of bullshit like that.

No bro... you've killed 25. ;)

Kc
Nov 26th, 2012, 11:34 AM

But you still don't have an avatar! :P

Kc
Nov 26th, 2012, 11:35 AM
1500 seems reasonable.

P.S. I just repped the fuck out of Kc.

I don't really qualify for rep, but I appreciate it! I live in the Gray Tab category :)

Osiris
Nov 26th, 2012, 12:10 PM
I don't really qualify for rep, but I appreciate it! I live in the Gray Tab category :)

It's the thought that counts, right? :love:

Wicked Sid
Nov 26th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I'm going to come out against this. It just doesn't feel right to cheapen the donation system.

Maybe, normal users who achieve the rep bar but not someone part of a group, seeing as that is an easy and quick way to get information on why a person has a user name colour.

Osiris
Nov 26th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I'm going to come out against this. It just doesn't feel right to cheapen the donation system.

Maybe, normal users who achieve the rep bar but not someone part of a group, seeing as that is an easy and quick way to get information on why a person has a user name colour.

So your user title informs me of........

Wicked Sid
Nov 26th, 2012, 12:47 PM
So your user title informs me of........

So my station informs you of.

Osiris
Nov 26th, 2012, 12:58 PM
So my station informs you of.

... :hsugh:

7oddisdead
Nov 26th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I would agree with something for the 1500 rep and above...that seems fair, and shows just how "appreciated" that persons time on the forum is...

Though as of right now, I believe only two people are close to that number...hey, it would help promote spreading rep as well....win/win

Wicked Sid
Nov 26th, 2012, 01:10 PM
... :hsugh:

Whopp-dee-doo, I made a reference in my fucking user title. If I'm asked to change it, I will. But giving the option to everyone just doesn't sit well with me.

Osiris
Nov 26th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Whopp-dee-doo, I made a reference in my fucking user title. If I'm asked to change it, I will. But giving the option to everyone just doesn't sit well with me.

But you ARE giving the option to everyone. Through donation. Is it any different than the time that someone 'donates' to the site by way of work on the wiki, blogging, article writing, and so forth? The people who donate their time and effort to better this place simply because they love the show vs the people who pay to have an option. Granted, it isn't as simple as that and I'm sure there are a number of sponsors that donate for the love of the show... but the fact that the option is there is sort of a slap in the face to the people that give of themselves in other ways.

Kc
Nov 26th, 2012, 01:53 PM

Oh, their group wouldn't change. Just an option to change "Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower" which is a dull title anyway. I understand the cheapening of the donation system, which is why I'm asking people to weigh in. If someone reaches a high reputation point it's like they donated their time to contribute to the show. In a weird way, the more traffic and posts to the forum makes us money via traffic hits, so they are sorta "donating".
But then again that's why I opened the dialogue. We're working on a metal for donators as well, or some way to make the postbit (the section on the left) more functional and customizable.

Wicked Sid
Nov 26th, 2012, 02:03 PM
It is a paid privilege, incentive for donating. Everything else is a just something you would do for the love of the show. If you require reward, why do it in the first place?

Wouldn't knowing that you help the collective knowledge of a show you love be enough?

Do you really mean to be so entitled that your time and knowing you helped out is not enough receive a thank you and be grateful for the free content that Kc so graciously provides?

You got your separate sub-forum, you're part of the so-called "Blogger" group and you really need more? Honestly sir, are you this greedy elsewhere in life?

If this is to go through, I would not want it implemented until more users reach the milestone.

Kc
Nov 26th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Before this thread erupts in a battle, I have noted Wicked Sid's and Osiris's opinions. Any one else want to weigh in?

Wicked Sid
Nov 26th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I will restrain from further comment.

Osiris
Nov 26th, 2012, 02:17 PM
It is a paid privilege, incentive for donating. Everything else is a just something you would do for the love of the show. If you require reward, why do it in the first place?

Wouldn't knowing that you help the collective knowledge of a show you love be enough?

Do you really mean to be so entitled that your time and knowing you helped out is not enough receive a thank you and be grateful for the free content that Kc so graciously provides?

You got your separate sub-forum, you're part of the so-called "Blogger" group and you really need more? Honestly sir, are you this greedy elsewhere in life?

If this is to go through, I would not want it implemented until more users reach the milestone.

Wow. You this much of a prick in your day to day, or just with me?

I asked a question. It has nothing to do with greed, you child. Your jab at the bloggers is a good one too. You must have a book of awesome insults that you turn to for things like this. Give it the fuck up, kid.

You're supposed to be an example for the regular members to follow. Fucking act like it.

7oddisdead
Nov 26th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Currently, there are five users above the thousand rep point mark(excluding myself and Nik). I could see all of them reaching the 1500 points mark by the end of the coming hiatus.

Its such a small thing that I don't see why it would be a big deal...and that's coming from someone who's donated probably more than most people.i didn't donate to the show because I could get a cool personal title..i just wanted to help. Its a cool little bonus.....why not do it?.

Osiris
Nov 26th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Currently, there are five users above the thousand rep point mark(excluding myself and Nik). I could see all of them reaching the 1500 points mark by the end of the coming hiatus.

Its such a small thing that I don't see why it would be a big deal...and that's coming from someone who's donated probably more than most people.i didn't donate to the show because I could get a cool personal title..i just wanted to help. Its a cool little bonus.....why not do it?.

That pretty much sums it up.

yarri
Nov 26th, 2012, 02:56 PM
As part of the sub-form of the so called blogger group, I donate as well and the titles in question aren't open to me. Frankly, I really don't care but to those that this is important too I think that rep should be used as a factor in it. Some of the higher rep folks work their tails off to promote the show, story, kc, and the site etc. I agree with 7oddisdead and Osiris..

scbubba
Nov 26th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Before this thread erupts in a battle, I have noted Wicked Sid's and Osiris's opinions. Any one else want to weigh in?

I haven't been around here as long as most of the other commenters here, so feel free to take my opinion with s grain or two of salt.

I think opening up the perks that donators get to people with s high rep level is s good idea. Personally, I didn't donate for the perks. I did it to give back to something I feel is valuable. Bug since I got the perks, ill use them.

I would say that a high rep level (over 1000+) is an indication of putting time and effort into building this community. And those of us here are getting the benefit of that in an ongoing and growing forum. IMO, the high rep crew have done more for WA than my few $$ have, I'm sure.

So, my vote is to give custom user title privilege to users who reach a certain level of rep.

Osiris
Nov 26th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I haven't been around here as long as most of the other commenters here, so feel free to take my opinion with s grain or two of salt.

I think opening up the perks that donators get to people with s high rep level is s good idea. Personally, I didn't donate for the perks. I did it to give back to something I feel is valuable. Bug since I got the perks, ill use them.

I would say that a high rep level (over 1000+) is an indication of putting time and effort into building this community. And those of us here are getting the benefit of that in an ongoing and growing forum. IMO, the high rep crew have done more for WA than my few $$ have, I'm sure.

So, my vote is to give custom user title privilege to users who reach a certain level of rep.

Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's here, man. If it actually worked like that this place would have died long ago.

nikvoodoo
Nov 26th, 2012, 06:35 PM

Damnit noob!!! Shut up with your opinions!!!! Gawd!!1!

Just kidding.

We'll talk among ourselves as the staff and we should let you know no later than the finale of season 3. Keep posting your opinions! We'd like to hear from veterans and rookies alike.

But let's keep it to civil tones moving forward please. That is to all, not one user specifically.

yarri
Nov 26th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Damnit noob!!! Shut up with your opinions!!!! Gawd!!1!

Just kidding.

You big meany. :)

Deacon_Tyler
Nov 26th, 2012, 06:52 PM
No bro... you've killed 25. ;)

Woah! How did I kill more zombies? I'm like a zombie killing machine - I'm a machine...that kills zombies!!! :O

Deacon_Tyler
Nov 26th, 2012, 06:53 PM
But you still don't have an avatar! :P

Sure I do! I'm "THE QUESTION!" :D

Deacon_Tyler
Nov 26th, 2012, 06:55 PM
when I donate, I would like my title to be "Scratch's Wife".

werewolf
Nov 26th, 2012, 07:23 PM
ok I know i am going to sound sappy on this post. WTF right. To me it was never really about how many post that i posted, or rather or not I moved up the in classification. (even though i secretly enjoy it.) To me it come down about the community of people we have here. It more likely that I probably wont see a lot of you in person. I am not saying I wouldn't want to either. this is the first true forum that I actively participated in and really enjoyed. hell, sometimes i am more active here than on facebook. There are times that i think some you guy and gals are off your rocker and you do with me. however, in the end i enjoy every moment and post.

Deacon_Tyler
Nov 26th, 2012, 07:25 PM
ok I know i am going to sound sappy on this post. WTF right. It me it was never really about how many post that i posted, or rather or not I moved up the in classification. (even though i secretly enjoy it.) To me it come down about the community of people we have here. It more likely that I probably wont see a lot of you in person. I am not saying I wouldn't want to either. this is the first true forum that I actively participated in and really enjoyed. hell, sometimes i am more active here than on facebook. There are times that i think some you guy and gals are off your rocker and you do with me. however, in the end i enjoy every moment and post.

That was so touching that I really want to hug you right now. Is that okay? I mean, I won't get all handsy or anything, I just....*holds out arms*

...should I put some pants on first, or am I cool just like this?

Osiris
Nov 26th, 2012, 07:26 PM
ok I know i am going to sound sappy on this post. WTF right. It me it was never really about how many post that i posted, or rather or not I moved up the in classification. (even though i secretly enjoy it.) To me it come down about the community of people we have here. It more likely that I probably wont see a lot of you in person. I am not saying I wouldn't want to either. this is the first true forum that I actively participated in and really enjoyed. hell, sometimes i am more active here than on facebook. There are times that i think some you guy and gals are off your rocker and you do with me. however, in the end i enjoy every moment and post.

Werewolf you are drunk.

werewolf
Nov 26th, 2012, 07:27 PM
That was so touching that I really want to hug you right now. Is that okay? I mean, I won't get all handsy or anything, I just....*holds out arms*

...should I put some pants on first, or am I cool just like this?

i am afraid of a reach around.

Deacon_Tyler
Nov 26th, 2012, 07:27 PM
i am afraid of a reach around.

No no sir, I'm only allowed the reach around with Scratch....

werewolf
Nov 26th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Werewolf you are drunk.

hey thats an idea

Solanine
Nov 27th, 2012, 08:55 AM

I'd just like to point out that the title shouldn't be a reason to donate to the show. It should be a thanks for doing so. There should be no quid quo pro arrangement.
On another point:

I reckon that if the milestone is to be 1500 then we'd be as well not doing it.
People who have got to that point are probably mods, members of the cast or Greg Miller anyway.
I'm not saying this to be self serving in any way shape or form (I would suggest maybe 750 or 1000), I very much doubt I will get there.

I'm saying it because there are great contributors to the forum who should be recognised.
Take Reaper for example. I can't remember whether he's donated or not but say hypothetically he hasn't.
His posts keep me coming back and engaged in the community.
By keeping the community alive and well he is securing the future of WA/ Modern Myth productions.
Therefore He should be rewarded.

nikvoodoo
Nov 27th, 2012, 11:51 AM
1500 to me sounds like a reasonable place to get to. It's an elite level for a user to achieve. And again, the more one uses the system, the higher your rep level power is. We've limited the Admin/Mod level, but as you can see by 7odd and Osiris they use the rep system often and without much hesitation (believe me..I know. I'm the one who checks the comments weekly). Their rep power is very high. I'd love nothing more than to have bunches of people who can hit that mark.

One of the reasons it seems like only mods are going to hit that mark is simple: Mods/admins tend to be very active members, post very insightful remarks, or create awesome maps of zombie attacks (Cabbage Patch is GOD).

But if you look at the list of the top 10 users in terms of experience excluding myself and Kc: 8 of the 10 are regular users (some with blogging or fan fic privileges but otherwise they'd be wearing white).

One more main reason I think 1500 would be a nice cut off: Look at someone like Deacon...He's been here for just over two months and already is around 600 rep points.

We can still definitely discuss the ceiling level if we go this way.

Kc
Nov 27th, 2012, 11:56 AM
There's also an option of having more custom things in the postbit as well, something special for donators as well as active people, etc... I like how everyone is weighing in on this. It helps. Not sure if we can do some huge changes between now and the s3 finale unless Nik heads that up. I'm still working on the livestream page. It's a bit more complicated since the new website upgrade... not to mention one massively difficult season finale. But, keep the feedback coming.

Osiris
Nov 27th, 2012, 12:12 PM
1500 to me sounds like a reasonable place to get to. It's an elite level for a user to achieve. And again, the more one uses the system, the higher your rep level power is. We've limited the Admin/Mod level, but as you can see by 7odd and Osiris they use the rep system often and without much hesitation (believe me..I know. I'm the one who checks the comments weekly). Their rep power is very high. I'd love nothing more than to have bunches of people who can hit that mark.

One of the reasons it seems like only mods are going to hit that mark is simple: Mods/admins tend to be very active members, post very insightful remarks, or create awesome maps of zombie attacks (Cabbage Patch is GOD).

But if you look at the list of the top 10 users in terms of experience excluding myself and Kc: 8 of the 10 are regular users (some with blogging or fan fic privileges but otherwise they'd be wearing white).

One more main reason I think 1500 would be a nice cut off: Look at someone like Deacon...He's been here for just over two months and already is around 600 rep points.

We can still definitely discuss the ceiling level if we go this way.

As far as I've always been concerned, the reputation system has always been a means of spreading as much good fellowship as possible, as the negativity is what tends to break communities (I could cite examples, myself being a prime example of obnoxious behaviour). It's nice to see relatively new members gain the acceptance of their peers, be it through a humourous comment, insight, or just a general pleasant disposition. I tend to use it as a way of showing newer members that their feedback, comments, and questions are not just welcome, but needed to keep the community strong. It's fairly rare that I've dispensed negative rep, I think I can actually count all the incidents on a single hand, but it was deserved, and I stand behind it. It's a great way to keep people active as well! The more you engage others, the more likely the points are going to find their way to you.

There's also an option of having more custom things in the postbit as well, something special for donators as well as active people, etc... I like how everyone is weighing in on this. It helps. Not sure if we can do some huge changes between now and the s3 finale unless Nik heads that up. I'm still working on the livestream page. It's a bit more complicated since the new website upgrade... not to mention one massively difficult season finale. But, keep the feedback coming.

This is why I miss j0be.

RIP.

#ForeverCoding

Litmaster
Nov 27th, 2012, 12:33 PM
As far as I've always been concerned, the reputation system has always been a means of spreading as much good fellowship as possible, as the negativity is what tends to break communities (I could cite examples, myself being a prime example of obnoxious behaviour). It's nice to see relatively new members gain the acceptance of their peers, be it through a humourous comment, insight, or just a general pleasant disposition. I tend to use it as a way of showing newer members that their feedback, comments, and questions are not just welcome, but needed to keep the community strong. It's fairly rare that I've dispensed negative rep, I think I can actually count all the incidents on a single hand, but it was deserved, and I stand behind it. It's a great way to keep people active as well! The more you engage others, the more likely the points are going to find their way to you.

Agreed! I think that the QUALITY of the posts should determine REP, and that is a subjective thing that each person can judge for himself (like, for instance, REP for color coding :) ). I've given REP for stunning insight, in-depth research, an original thought, or just something that made me chuckle. Laughs are too hard to come by in this world, so it's nice to have the REP system as a well to spread goodwill among our fellow WA fans. I'd love to go to a WA Forum after-party someday when the series is finished and meet some of you in person.

BTW, would also like to see the 'ceiling' expanded on REP... guys like Nik and 7odd are already 'Bad Mothers', there is a loss of incentive to REP them further. Any chance for a revision on that?

Osiris
Nov 27th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Agreed! I think that the QUALITY of the post is the thing that should determine REP, and that is a subjective thing that each person can judge for himself (like, for instance, REP for color coding :) ). I've given REP for stunning insight, in-depth research, an original thought, or just something that made me chuckle. Laughs are too hard to come by in this world, so it's nice to have the REP system as a well to spread goodwill among our fellow WA fans. Love to go to a WA Forum after-party someday when the series is finished and meet some of you in person.

BTW, would also like to see the 'ceiling' expanded on REP... guys like Nik and 7odd are already 'Bad Mothers', there is a loss of incentive to REP them further. Any chance for a revision on that?

I would vote for the title of Captain Awesomeballs or perhaps MasterSurvivor... maybe "Needs To Leave The House."

<---- Also One Bad Mutha... Shut Your Mouth!

7oddisdead
Nov 27th, 2012, 12:44 PM
The great thing about this forum is, while some may argue that osiris brought this idea forth for selfish reasons...just look at the dialogue its created. because of one members ideas, the entire experience for everyone could improve and become even more enjoyable. I've not been a member of to many other forums, but the few that I have did not/do not have this level of "user friendliness" going on. That truthfully is what keeps me coming back here. Hell, its not the podcast....its the forum that I love(the podcasts a nice bonus,haha)

And personally i have noticed a HUGE influx of users spreading rep just on my end, not seeing all the details Nik and the others do. to be quite honest I feel that comes directly from the actions of osi taking the lead on heavy repping.. I picked up right after him, and now..lots of people are using the shit out of the system. So yes, completely agree...1500 is very doable.

Kc
Nov 27th, 2012, 12:50 PM
There are certain experience incentives that can come into play. Our awards system on here is broken, sadly. One of the things I hope to fix in the off-season. Yes, we all miss J0be, he was the best coder :(

I can do what I can, but I'm contemplating some nice clean custom postbits similar to this:

7oddisdead
Nov 27th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Agreed! I think that the QUALITY of the posts should determine REP, and that is a subjective thing that each person can judge for himself (like, for instance, REP for color coding :) ). I've given REP for stunning insight, in-depth research, an original thought, or just something that made me chuckle. Laughs are too hard to come by in this world, so it's nice to have the REP system as a well to spread goodwill among our fellow WA fans. I'd love to go to a WA Forum after-party someday when the series is finished and meet some of you in person.

agreed with everything above. but also, when we have a good THREAD where we as a community are really spreading ideas well and behaving like a "family"...ill rep the entire thread. whos to say that the great idea litmaster posted would have happened if devilish pizza wouldnt have said that thing a page before? Ideas are infectious....love them all equally

scbubba
Nov 27th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I would vote for the title of Captain Awesomeballs or perhaps MasterSurvivor... maybe "Needs To Leave The House."

How about "Ink's Daddy"....

<---- Also One Bad Mutha... Shut Your Mouth!

Indeed you are sir. :cool:

scbubba
Nov 27th, 2012, 01:02 PM
agreed with everything above. but also, when we have a good THREAD where we as a community are really spreading ideas well and behaving like a "family"...ill rep the entire thread. whos to say that the great idea litmaster posted would have happened if devilish pizza wouldnt have said that thing a page before? Ideas are infectious....love them all equally

Couldn't agree more, 7odd. I like that this forum is fairly good at self-policing without being really heavy handed about it. i've seen plenty of places out in the interwebs that follow the "if you don't think like us you need to get the hell out" route.

That doesn't seem to be the case at all in here. We're all pretty much got in here because of WA but I love that there is so much more going on in here. The discussions on the episodes and the theories are great but so are the social groups and the "Everything Else" threads.

The Niks, 7odds, Osirises (Osiri?) of the forum, and others like them are some of the biggest reasons for all this. I don't think it's the "perks" that keep them coming back and doing what they do but why shut them out of some of them?

Good discussion....

Osiris
Nov 27th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Couldn't agree more, 7odd. I like that this forum is fairly good at self-policing without being really heavy handed about it. i've seen plenty of places out in the interwebs that follow the "if you don't think like us you need to get the hell out" route.

That doesn't seem to be the case at all in here. We're all pretty much got in here because of WA but I love that there is so much more going on in here. The discussions on the episodes and the theories are great but so are the social groups and the "Everything Else" threads.

The Niks, 7odds, Osirises (Osiri?) of the forum, and others like them are some of the biggest reasons for all this. I don't think it's the "perks" that keep them coming back and doing what they do but why shut them out of some of them?

Good discussion....

Mercifully, there will only ever be one Osiris.

nikvoodoo
Nov 27th, 2012, 01:14 PM

I don't know that there becomes a lack of incentive to rep those who reach a limit. For 1...there generally is very little we discuss about where the barriers are. There could be a title above One bad mother.....just so happens there isn't right now....but there could be!!

How about "Ink's Daddy"....

Indeed you are sir. :cool:

Subtitles, or however you want to refer to them, is somewhat a separate discussion. We can certainly expand them. When we first instituted rep with a very tiny tiny scale, we never thought anyone would achieve over 1000 points. Once we realized that NO ONE was getting over 200 points even if they donated and got the huge bump, we added more factors to increase rep (days on forum, number of posts, number of times system is used etc) to increase rep power to kick start the program. And again, as you see, that portion is working.

Let's revisit the titles in the off season when we can get some good brainstormin' in.

Solanine
Dec 3rd, 2012, 12:39 PM
Just to let you know this discussion really reminded me why I come here.
You've all inspired me to become a little more active in the down time between episodes after the season finale.

Osiris
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:23 PM
Damn straight.