PDA

View Full Version : Fort Irwin - To **** or not to ****, that is the question.

scbubba
Nov 16th, 2012, 07:49 PM
As quick as Kimmet was to dial up the nuke in Boulder to save humanity, do you think he'll be just as quick to turn Fort Irwin into a glowing crater (with him still there) to take out the zombie horde?

Or is his "bigger picture" vision restricted to other people?

What do you think?

Deacon_Tyler
Nov 16th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Kimmet made the right call with boulder. It's a really tough call to make, but if you think about it, ONE marked zombie turned an entire town. Imagine what would have happened if that infection spread to the various pockets of resistance in the country?

I don't see that he has any choice BUT to nuke Irwin, unfortunately.

nikvoodoo
Nov 16th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Gentle reminder: Do not post spoilers in thread titles. Thread titles link directly to the homepage. Some listeners aren't caught up yet and spoiling things is bad m'kay? M'kay.

LiamKerrington
Nov 16th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Hi.

The nuke as means to suicide/ homicide people in order to safe them from becoming zeehs => +1 (questionable/ arguable though)
The nuke as to stop them zeehs => fail - was in Boulder, would be in Irwin.

I will think about the poll and vote later ...

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Nov 17th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Kimmet made the right call with boulder. It's a really tough call to make, but if you think about it, ONE marked zombie turned an entire town. Imagine what would have happened if that infection spread to the various pockets of resistance in the country?

I don't see that he has any choice BUT to nuke Irwin, unfortunately.

If there still are pockets of resistance, why have there been not short/longwave transmissions? Are all amateur radio operators dead or zombified? I do not think that detonating the bomb had a sustancial impact on these groups. However, I guess that Fort Irwin is toast because the whole location will serve no purpose in season 4. Let's go out with another bang!

scbubba
Nov 17th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Gentle reminder: Do not post spoilers in thread titles. Thread titles link directly to the homepage. Some listeners aren't caught up yet and spoiling things is bad m'kay? M'kay.

D'oh! I'm sorry about that. Wasn't thinking at the time.

Won't do it again and thanks, Nik, for catching and fixing it.

Deacon_Tyler
Nov 17th, 2012, 11:24 AM
If there still are pockets of resistance, why have there been not short/longwave transmissions? Are all amateur radio operators dead or zombified? I do not think that detonating the bomb had a sustancial impact on these groups. However, I guess that Fort Irwin is toast because the whole location will serve no purpose in season 4. Let's go out with another bang!

Even before the apocalypse there were/are few radio operators. Afterwards, that number would go drastically down and added to that is the fact that you have to be on the same channel at the same time, atmospheric conditions, etc. Perhaps the colony did reach radio operators and that's how they got new people, but I'm sure there are others left in the world. There's just only so much time that can be dedicated to dealing with the rest of the world in a podcast and everything else is left up to our imaginations.

scbubba
Nov 17th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Never thought about the difficulties in making long range radios work. We've gotten so used to phones & commercial broadcasts (and Hollywood depictions) that the realities of communications beyond walkie talkies is lost on most of us...

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Nov 17th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Even before the apocalypse there were/are few radio operators. Afterwards, that number would go drastically down and added to that is the fact that you have to be on the same channel at the same time, atmospheric conditions, etc. Perhaps the colony did reach radio operators and that's how they got new people, but I'm sure there are others left in the world. There's just only so much time that can be dedicated to dealing with the rest of the world in a podcast and everything else is left up to our imaginations.

Good point. But would you not start looking for a communication device after having secured your little anti-zombie sanctuary?

scbubba
Nov 18th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Good point. But would you not start looking for a communication device after having secured your little anti-zombie sanctuary?

Well, the colony had a good collection of radios. So did the mallers and CJ. But apparently they were all short/medium range comms (except for Glenn's sat phone). The long range stuff is more special purpose so harder to acquire and know how to operate. Thus probably not as "valuable" to survival as the others up front.