PDA

View Full Version : Sword vs. Knife inconsistancies

SmokeyZombified
Nov 15th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Ok so, I hate tooting my own horn but I have more than a few years of training in martial arts. Primarily, historical katana. So, when I heard the fight between Scratch and CJ some things about it...

Chadzero
Nov 23rd, 2012, 09:59 PM
A few things I'm wondering:

A - Do we know that CJ has any formal combat training/experience with the Kat or has she only just been using it to slice up some biters.

B - Was there ever a real description of the blade? I don't ever thing I've seen a real forged Katana, but maybe a couple of the cheaper ones you'd see at a knife shop. Although, maybe it's ability to slice off zombie legs is a testament to its quality.

Luna Guardian
Nov 25th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Also, if the corridor was littered with stuff, CJ may not have been able to use the katana to it's full effect. Also, Scratch has probably had more experience with her knife than CJ has had with her sword, so it's not impossible. A more skilled fighter can defeat a better equipped one.

Kc
Nov 26th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Scratch's knife wasn't like a kitchen knife either. It's more of a combat blade. But you bring up good discussion points. I won't try to suede the conversation. The big question is how skilled CJ was or was not at using it against a person.

Solanine
Nov 26th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Also CJ was distracted. A lot. Between Saul being shot and hearing about the armoury she got overly aggressive and confident.
no matter what your skill is if your head gets too big its going to come off.

scbubba
Nov 26th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Scratch's knife wasn't like a kitchen knife either. It's more of a combat blade. But you bring up good discussion points. I won't try to suede the conversation. The big question is how skilled CJ was or was not at using it against a person.

Also CJ was distracted. A lot. Between Saul being shot and hearing about the armoury she got overly aggressive and confident.
no matter what your skill is if your head gets too big its going to come off.

These posts carry my thoughts on the battle pretty well. Unless we're talking about obviously mismatched equipment (think kitchen knife against pistol), the main decisive points in a fight like this will be the level of skill of the fighter and the ability to stay focused.

Coming from a martial arts background, I've seen inexperienced people with a weapon get taken down by a very experienced fighter without a weapon.

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Nov 26th, 2012, 09:34 AM
About the inconsistencies: Scratch was just damn lucky, just as Saul was for not being shot in the head, arms, abdomen or legs.

In order to avoid such inconsistencies next time, what about ... female mud wrestling? t appeals to our most primitive male instincts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy602SaN5Us&feature=related

TimmyElliot
Nov 30th, 2012, 03:13 AM
I was surprised Scratch won against the katana too, but I figured Scratch was a better fighter (or maybe took a cheap shot with CJ being distracted by Saul).

I see Scratch as someone used to fighting a lot of people in hand-to-hand combat. I just see CJ as getting most of her skills killing zombies.

CJ's skill at fighting zombies may even be a disadvantage, since one can get too used to a fighting style that leaves openings which a thinking opponent could take advantage of.

Cashel
Nov 30th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I can attest to the fact that something as subtle as an inch or two of arm length can make a difference in the Shinai, but when we do some fighting for fun I use a set of short swords and can make fairly quick work of others that are using long, or broad swords as well as pole arms. So blade length isn't everything. And no I don’t make a habit of attacking people with weapons but I am a member of a group that does historical combat.

I have also seen people, that have been trained in knife combat, who are able to close the gap on attackers with longer weapons and get inside. In the end however I think that this was designed to build in some suspense to the scene and drive the plot. Is this type of fight impossible to win for Scratch? I say No. Should CJ have the huge advantage described by SmokeyZombified? I would say yes.

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Dec 1st, 2012, 01:56 AM
I would like to add one aspect: Killing zombies and killing humans are two very different things from an psychological point of view. Ok, it is kitchen psychology - but regarding Scratch and CJ's death toll CV - Scratch has much fewer issues with killing humans.

scbubba
Dec 1st, 2012, 04:29 AM
I would like to add one aspect: Killing zombies and killing humans are two very different things from an psychological point of view. Ok, it is kitchen psychology - but regarding Scratch and CJ's death toll CV - Scratch has much fewer issues with killing humans.

Issues? I think Scratch enjoys killing humans over Zeds... Deacon's favorite girl is probably certifiably psychopathic....

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Dec 1st, 2012, 05:30 AM
Issues? I think Scratch enjoys killing humans over Zeds... Deacon's favorite girl is probably certifiably psychopathic....

Naah, that is just a preemptive measure because dead humans cannot turn. :squint:

eoin53368
May 26th, 2021, 08:33 AM
All things being equal, swords are always better than knives. Reach: A modern combat knife generally has a blade of 1 foot or less. Swords ranged between having 2 foot blades up to 4 foot blades. So the sword has a definite reach advantage over the knife.

eoin53368
May 26th, 2021, 08:36 AM
All things being equal, swords are always better than knives. Reach: A modern combat knife generally has a blade of 1 foot or less. Swords (katana swords of sale (https://katanaswords.net/)) ranged between having 2 foot blades up to 4 foot blades. So the sword has a definite reach advantage over the knife.
Also, My favourite sword is the katana and my favourite knife is the boning knife.