PDA

View Full Version : Journals - Who do we know is still alive?

fridginators
Oct 19th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Essentially, we all understand that if we don't hear somebody's narration then it's not guaranteed that they're going to live for much longer. It doesn't mean they will die, but it means that they can. So, based on what we know now, who is still alive in journal-writing world?

Saul

He may have been shot, but it was him narrating the whole Colony mission. He needs to write this all down sometime.

Michael

This one does not need any explanation at all. Michael is the linchpin of this story.

Burt

Burt hasn't had a pen or paper in five months, but he must have written about Chapter 23 and 24 (he narrated the former and remember the "And then there asses were fair game" bit in the Season 2 finale) at some point. He's alive in the future.

Puck

Bits here and there. I don't think he's narrated for a while, but I'm not sure if Michael made him write in a journal during Irwin. This might indicate him being with Michael in some place other than Irwin in the future, where they're writing again the keep sane.

Lizzy

I think, I could be wrong here, but I think she's been keeping hers in her Mallony experiences.

As a corollary, I'm now thinking: who have we definitely not heard from:

CJ

I don't think we've ever heard from her, save from that time that she was calling back to what happened to the Other Tower, but that was a flashback occurring in the present.

Victor

While I hope to fucking god that Victor doesn't die, we haven't heard from him ever either I don't think.

Tanya

Never wrote her own journal.

So then who have we heard in the past but haven't heard from in a while? These characters are still alive

Datu - We haven't heard narration unless I'm very much mistaken, we've just heard him and Hope in real time. Hope never kept a journal.
Riley - Just hasn't written in hers for a while it's seemed.
Pegs - Obviously we don't know about her atm. Kelly... did she ever narrate?

I think that's everyone. So, the people who we know for the moment are still alive are Michael, Puck, Burt, Saul and Lizzy. We have never heard from CJ, Victor and Tanya, but we never have anyway. So, these characters are no more expendable than they've been in the past - take that however you want. Whereas, the characters of Datu, Riley and Pegs (and perhaps Hope and Kelly), have not been heard from in a while, but we have heard from them in the past. So they might want to start writing soon lest they do an Angel.

That said, as NikVoodoo says, Riley and Pegs are inextricably linked to Scratch, so I think their fates are a bit more secure for now. Datu I just don't see dying any time soon either, along with Hope, and I actually hope Kelly doesn't. Still, who really knows? Nobody foresaw or wanted Angel to die really, but it happened. Kalani dying made sense, but Angel's death didn't in the same way. This world is rough, and it's not for the faint hearted, and it has never, ever been fair. If what I've written has been accurate, then at least we have a better idea of what to expect.

Cabbage Patch
Oct 19th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Victor

While I hope to fucking god that Victor doesn't die, we haven't heard from him ever either I don't think.

Victor has to survive long enough to either record, or pass on his experiences since he infiltrated the Colony. His only contact with Saul has been via short radio conversations, we're not aware of him maintaining a journal and no one else was present to share his story travelling in the tank of the water truck.

Besides, Victor needs to make it to the grand finale, where he and Ink engage in a winner-take-all Luchidore wrestling match to determine the fate of the world.

fridginators
Oct 19th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Well the thing is, nobody has been around for a lot of events - nobody was around for Hope/Datu, but one of them can convey the experience later on. So yeah, I don't think Victor's going to die in the current Mallony spat, but we have no proof unless he starts writing that he's going to survive much beyond the immediate situation he's in.

And you're forgetting Bixby - he could convey the Water Tank, along with Gatekeeper when he's in the Mallony, and then Lizzy when he's saving her.

SaltyDog
Oct 20th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Cabbage Patch is right.

I think because we were so closely stowed away with Victor, that we'll see him survive long enough for things to calm down. That is when he'll be able to relay the details of the story or write it down himself. We don't have to hear his narrative directly to know his story will still be rolling.

nikvoodoo
Oct 20th, 2012, 01:00 PM
None of them have to be alive. Just like Kalani's journal, someone could find their compiled thoughts and be reading through them. The whole story starts as a journal entry. We've never made it to"now" so everyone could be toast.

SaltyDog
Oct 20th, 2012, 01:50 PM
But we know, at the very least, that Victor makes it through this current struggle alive. We've been too close to him, heard too much story from his perspective, and he hasn't spent enough time with anyone else or alone to really be able share this perspective.

fridginators
Oct 20th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Yeah I'm not saying they're going to die just this second, but it's more just trying to gauge who will possibly die in the near future and who won't - we were able to guess that Angel wasn't coming back but Burt was, because Burt narrated where Angel didn't.

Actually on that, this is a pedantic point, but who captured the Angel/Stephen moments of Chapter 24? I mean obviously it doesn't really matter, but unless I'm mistaken there was nobody in the tower to write those down.

But yeah my general point is that some characters are inherently more expendable than others, and it's not necessarily everyone we think. I'm pretty confident that Michael, Saul, Riley, Burt, Lizzy and Pegs are vital. They may die in Season 4, but all of them have character arcs to complete/are obviously alive via journal. CJ, Victor and Tanya don't have the same arcs, and they also don't have the "protection" of the journals, which is something that an unsuspecting character like Puck does. I think it's safe to say that Puck is going to be increasingly important in this story - obviously hitherto he's been Michael's foil, but there must be a reason for KC to give him journal status - something that Carl, Kimmet and Robbins haven't received.

Miss
Nov 15th, 2012, 05:21 PM
I am pretty sure that Victor at least STARTED a journal before the tower was lost I dont see why he wouldnt have keapt it up, just everything thats happened to him has been intertwined in with what has happened to Saul so mabee it hasnt been necessary to have Victor narate

scbubba
Nov 15th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Good point about Victor. Thinking about the journal thing and 35-3, Saul does a narration point right before the charge of the Zed brigade so that would lead us to believe that he at least makes it...

Th3_T3ch
Nov 19th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Victor started a journal when he first arrives at the tower. After the tower fell (probably before that) he most likely stopped because he found it a useless waste of time.

Chadzero
Nov 23rd, 2012, 09:28 PM
The one thing that bothers me about Datu and Hope surviving, is we never heard anyone's story about life in Boulder before the outbreak. Nothing notable to make journal entries about? No interesting moments between them and Pegs/Kelly?

scbubba
Nov 24th, 2012, 05:25 AM
The one thing that bothers me about Datu and Hope surviving, is we never heard anyone's story about life in Boulder before the outbreak. Nothing notable to make journal entries about? No interesting moments between them and Pegs/Kelly?

I'm hoping that we have some sort of flashback or narration of what boulder was like. There hasn't been much time elapsed between when Datu & Hope got to Fort Irwin and the end if 35-3. So I think we will get something from them in either Chapter 36 or early in Season 4.