PDA

View Full Version : No melee weapons

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:11 PM
I keep wondering why no one is using any form of a melee weapon? All the hardware stores run out of crowbars, sledgehammers and shovels? They don't run out of ammo. I know everyone (world war z heads)is high on swords and such, but those things are harder to find than guns

jamman39
Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:13 PM
They did use knives in the first chapter they decided to stop cuz they were afraid of the blood spray, kind of a shame those knife sounds were sweet

TCM Revolver
Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:16 PM
They did use knives in the first chapter they decided to stop cuz they were afraid of the blood spray, kind of a shame those knife sounds were sweet

Jamman is right dude, remember, if that blood gets in any orifice you could get turned. Even if you don't have any open wounds, in thru the mouth, eyes or wherever.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:27 PM
A knife is much different than a machete, K-Tool or a crowbar. You pierce and cut from a much closer distance, so the risk is greater. Beside, Saul was the only one with a knife. There have been plenty of times on the show where the proper application of a solid piece of Steel or wood would have worked better than lead poisoning.

TCM Revolver
Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:32 PM
There have been plenty of times on the show where the proper application of a solid piece of Steel or wood would have worked better than lead poisoning.
But they are rather impervious to pain. Recall when the Z was walking with a broken leg and Riley shot it in the other leg with the Bow and Arrow. He just kept going. Given the option, I would rather be able to pop 5 rounds of at 30 ft and aim for the head v. having to get w/in arms length and hope to hit a home run.

Wicked Sid
Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:32 PM
I know everyone (world war z heads)is high on swords and such, but those things are harder to find than guns

Not for me they aren't. ;)

StepLaugh
Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:35 PM
I'd honestly like them meet some one who is a master at throwing knives. Talk about BA. I loved bow and arrows.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:54 PM
a double tap to the ole bean from a few yards is always better than anything else, BUT, head shots on a moving target are pretty near impossible.. having said that, there's a lot to be said for blunt force trauma. The "Things" may not feel pain, but force doesn't need the object on the other side to feel it for it to work. Saul would be in better shape if someone in the room had a nice home made mace or Louisville slugger.

Hollomandious
Jan 23rd, 2011, 09:05 PM
Angel had the hockey stick when the guns wouldn't work. Michael and Pegs had that boat pole thingy. Datu smashed the shiz outta that one post samantha having tea w/ Ink. And i consider falling couches & tv's to be melee weapons.

StepLaugh
Jan 23rd, 2011, 09:13 PM
Angel had the hockey stick when the guns wouldn't work. Michael and Pegs had that boat pole thingy. Datu smashed the shiz outta that one post samantha having tea w/ Ink. And i consider falling couches & tv's to be melee weapons.

I completely forgot about the hockey sticks, that part was pretty flippin sweet.

mascaria
Jan 23rd, 2011, 10:07 PM
And they did pistol whip the one and knocked him out when they were trying to put the trackers on them, so they know at least they can be knocked out with hits to the head.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Jan 24th, 2011, 02:17 AM
Because of the risk of infection, the Zs strength and immunity to pain, they usually avoid close combat in general. However, they do use it as a last resort.

And let's be honest: if your opponent is really strong in close combat, but has nothing over range, would you get close or keep your distance? There the latter is the only answer that makes sense.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 24th, 2011, 09:20 AM
LOL@ a 100 pound sofa falling 60 feet is one hellava melee weapon! Having said that, those are weapons they used by pure chance, but not relied on.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 24th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Capt Capslock,

When noise and light discipline means your life.. yah, i'd much rather scavage carrying an ax, crowbar or sword as the primary weapon rather than a boomstick.
Mascaria is right. They can be knocked out! Which to me is more of indicative of Infected people ala "28 days later" rather than a Romero type outbreak.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Jan 24th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Well, ranged doesn't mean guns per se: Wasn't Riley good with the bow?
It's not that hard to make a decent bow yourself. It might not be as effective as a professional hunting bow, but it'll certainly do significant damage.

Arrows are a little harder (as you need straight but strong sticks - will require some carving from larger chuncks of wood), but not impossible.
Riley could even help teach a few people the basics.

Training +- 5 tot 10 of the Tower residents to reasonable marksmen should be possible over the course of a week or two.

Kc
Jan 24th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Datu used a chair leg... that count?

StepLaugh
Jan 24th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Datu used a chair leg... that count?

Why not XD

In 18-1 Pegs has a stun gun.

TCM Revolver
Jan 24th, 2011, 01:24 PM
In 18-1 Pegs has a stun gun.
That is one of my biggest questions, What would electricity do to a Z?? There has to be a police station somewhere and they would have tazers.

StepLaugh
Jan 24th, 2011, 01:27 PM
That is one of my biggest questions, What would electricity do to a Z?? There has to be a police station somewhere and they would have tazers.

Good question!

I know the human body works off of electrical impulses, but what would happen if a Z got shocked with a live wired or something. They could try and make a mote around their stronghold and put a live wire in it, and see what happens, that would be pretty cool.

Also now that you bring up a police station, I dont think we've heard any mention about an officer or a station. Might be useful.

Wicked Sid
Jan 24th, 2011, 02:04 PM

Umm, the reason that humans are subdued by tazers is that the electrical signals that activate the muscle are replaced by about 50,000 volts (for the first few seconds), which cause the muscle to spasm immobilizing the intended target. So, I suppose that the tazer would affect a zombo the same way.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Jan 24th, 2011, 03:11 PM
A little more precisely, it adds noise to your nerve system. <br />
Not only does that control your muscle movements, but there's a lot of other 'communication' running trough them: your senses (pain,...

TCM Revolver
Jan 24th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Because of the high voltage, the electricity will manage its way trough clothing and skin, but because of the low amperage it will not do any real damage.

I was thinking it could be a way to take out the behemoths. Hit him with the tazer, immobilize him then he's ripe for the picking. Since they don't get tired and are impervious to pain.

StepLaugh
Jan 24th, 2011, 05:10 PM
^^^^ nerd! XD

TCM Revolver
Jan 24th, 2011, 05:27 PM
^^^^ nerd! XD
lmao!!!!!!

Ra1th
Jan 24th, 2011, 05:33 PM

when did angel use a hockey stick? the arena?

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 24th, 2011, 07:29 PM
ROFL.. Step, you were so wrong for that one!

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 24th, 2011, 07:40 PM
One of my points is that Melee weapons are an after thought, weapon of chance instead of a primary or back up weapon. Oh and Capt, I think Saul is the only one in the group with a Crocodile Dundee'ish knife! I'm not sure how many arrows you can make from a sofa leg. Matter of fact, how they'd even make a bow. This is LA right? Do high rises still have "Break in case of emergency" axes? LOL.
Angel left the stick. Me, i'd have kept it and shaped the inside curve with a cutting edge. One makeshift axe! Not a very strong one, but it's enough of a weapon when you don't have one. Hell, give me a BFR in a sock!

StepLaugh
Jan 24th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Capt. That was super thoughtful, I totally give props, no hard feeling. :D

And Crowbar can you say Scythe, that's be sooo badass!

Also yeah he used it in the area.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Jan 25th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Don't worry Step, I got it was (mostly) a joke ;)
If I find something interesting, I tend to do some basic research on the subject, to understand how it works. A few months back I've seen someone get hit by a stungun (voluntarily, as part of a demonstration on their effect), and I had a talk with the instructor afterwards. In this case, he explained the basics to me, and I continued reading a bit at home.

@CrowBar, there must be some woodshops or Do-It-Yourself stores around town. All they need is some wood planks.
Get 3 - 7 ones that are roughly 0.5 - 1cm thick, 2 - 4cm wide and different lengths. Align the middles, get some duct tape. Then make a cut in the longest plank's ends (*).
You'll get something like this:

|
|
||
||
|||
|||
|||
||
||
|
|

Find a rope (preferably a nylon string), make a knot on both ends, place each end in one of the cuts and you've got yourself a bow:

/|
/ |
// |
// |
// |
//| |
||| |
\\| |
\\ |
\\ |
\\ |
\ |
\|

I know this sketch is really really basic, but you hopefully you get the idea.
These bows work surprisingly well, especially if you use the right wood.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 25th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Capt,

Remember, they're in LA. It's straight urban. Pawn shops, corner stores and gas stations. There are 3 Home Depots in LA and they're proabably way too far out and unsecure. They'd be better off hitting a sporting good store, Military surplus or hope Amazon.com still delivers. ROFL!
Your very last sentence is the crutch. The right wood. LA remember? Concrete Jungle. They'd have a better chance of making rock slings than making bows and arrows.
Lastly, a machine shop is noisy as fugg brother! They might as well ring the dinner bell. Their noise and light discipline is crappy as it is (Sorry KC).
but you know what? I have a couple Air Force SERE instructor and a Combat Controller working right down the hall. I'll pick their brains at lunch about makeshift weapons in an urban setting. heheh, i can't wait to see their look when I mention Zombies are the reason i'm asking.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Jan 25th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Are you telling me that in LA there are no Do-it-yourself / hardware stores where you can buy tools (hammers, chisels, saws) and materials(wooden planks, beams/timber, and the likes) when required? I don't really believe there are none of those.
Heck, you could even get the required materials at the IKEA if you take your time

You're not dependent on anything growing outside or whatever.

Edit: looked up on Google maps, and there are several hardware stores in LA that have everything you need.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 25th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I was instructed with a slight snear and a slap on the back by a fellow SNCO to read the following:
http://www.equipped.com/21-76/ch12.pdf and http://www.equipped.com/21-76/ch8.pdf (look under killing devices)

That's the Army Survival Manual FM-21-76
You let me know if you still think you can make a bow from the wood in a home depot. My opinion only, but lumber is normally the only wood you find. Great for making arrows probably. a Bow is a bit harder. Some kind of rubber, plastic tube may work. The real question is: will there be enough force to penetrate a skull?
So, tell me how you envision making a bow, what kind of materials? I'm not trying to poopoo your idea, i'm asking for clarification.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Jan 25th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I'm sorry, but I find it hard to clarify it further.
English isn't my native language, so I don't know some specific words - like the names of specific types or 'shapes' of wood - which I'd need. A good ol' fashioned dictionary isn't of any help either.

All I can say is that I've built some bows as a kid with materials from a local hardware store.

Also, I worked on a potato gun roughly a year ago. After swapping the large, PVC barrel with a thinner (1cm radius) steel one, I could shoot marbles at over 100km/h. They shot straight trough several sheets of wood - they'd be pretty darn lethal.

The 'control panel', a 10x20 piece of wood, had a switch and a button.
The firing mechanism involved spraying deodorant in an isolated chamber, where a small fan (connected to the switch) caused the gas to spread evenly (60mm computer fan, running on 6v instead of 12). It was ignited by a spark from a 12v car battery after pressing the button.
Everything was home-made, and anyone with a little knowledge about physics could do the same. Besides, the fan wasn't crucial, it just improved the gun's performance.
The only problem with my gun (for my use) was that it's impossible to aim - the gun I had built was positioned stationary, and aimed in a straight line down the improvised firing range.

Still, if you'd wear the car battery like a backpack it'd be very possible to create a similarly effective portable version. Using a smaller battery would work too: it'd only need to be able to give a spark, and power a fan for a few seconds if you'd add one to the construction.

The biggest problem would be the rate of fire and ammunition. Unless you raid a toy store you won't have many marbles. And to load the gun, you had to push open a little latch (opened inwards), spray the deodorant, close the door, roll down the marble trough the barrel (it stopped because of a sorta barricade at the bottom of the barrel) and only then you could fire.

Not ideal unless rate of fire is no issue.

nikvoodoo
Jan 29th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Angel left the stick. Me, i'd have kept it and shaped the inside curve with a cutting edge. One makeshift axe! Not a very strong one, but it's enough of a weapon when you don't have one. Hell, give me a BFR in a sock!

I applaud the ingenuity regarding the hockey stick, but you'd be better off the the loaded sock. A hockey stick (presumed to be a forward's stick) located inside a professional sports arena would 99 times out of 100 be a composite stick (fiberglass/aluminum). The odds of you doing any real lasting damage swinging the stick with the intent to kill would be so low. The blades of the stick are light weight, glued in place, and would probably fly off after a hit or two, if the shaft would last that long. Hockey sticks are designed to flex so if you hit a hard enough object, it would keep flexing and just snap....at least you'd have a spear as a last ditch effort...

Now, if you find a goalie stick, you would have something to go with. They are thicker, and designed to take punishment. They are heavier and weighted more to be wielded as a weapon. And if you were to put a blade on the paddle's edge, you'd have a far more effective weapon. Again, it wouldn't last long and the effort to make it would make it worthless...

but it would make Casey Jones proud....much like I am proud to have actually been able to use my years of hockey knowledge in a zombie apocalypse.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 30th, 2011, 02:45 PM
LOL@ Nikvoodoo's Hockey knowledge!
Thanks for the reply too. My thing is that you can put an edge on anything given time, rough surface or fire. My thing is that any weapon is better than your hands. The rock in a sock works too with a thick enough sock or couple socks. Most of the time you don't need to kill them, you just need to create space enough to get your ass outta dodge.

Eitri
Apr 28th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Ok, so i'm talking about a time where all the bullets have been used, and until you can find more or find a replacement projectile weapon you'll have to use something else, a close range weapon. Modifications can be made on said weapon

My Melee weapon would either be:
A crowbar: its a tool, and it has a long reach.
Bowie Knife: 6 to 12 inches in length, well made and can be stored in a sheath.
Axe(fire, wood cutting ETC): good reach, can chop wood and a good weapon.
Chain saw: Yes it makes alot of noise but it cuts through zombies like a hot knife through butter.

The weight of the weapon is also a factor, and if it needs fuel. But it is a good idea to have a back-up in case your ammo runs out.
I rest my case.

Ra1th
Apr 28th, 2011, 06:24 PM
well for one thing, i'm not using up all my bullets. Gotta keep one round for myself in case things get out of hand. Call it cowardice, but one flash of pain or being eaten alive? I'll take option A thank you.

But if I had to pick a melee weapon I'd prly go for a sword if I could get one, crowbar or an axe works too. But stealth is your only option. If its the WA universe the moment you're out of bullets, its all over. You'd have a small chance to run around and hide and try to skittles your way back to safety.

Chainsaw only works in l4d imo, i think the only way to go is stealth kills or long distance kills.

Rock Daddy
Apr 28th, 2011, 10:33 PM
No bullets... I guess I'd really like an actual katana sword. I have some sword training, but finding a real heavy duty one that's battle-ready may be difficult. Most are display shits. Or maybe some type of spear... Melee weapons sound good for smashing skulls, but I'm afraid of blood spatter and getting the weapon stuck in the zombie. I'd love to use the chainsaw, but I think it's just a failure waiting to happen in the W/A zombie world.

Luna Guardian
Apr 29th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Melee weapons I have immediate access to and would use:
- An US army surplus machete
- A Crocodile Dunee-ish "knife"
- Reserve Officer Academy knife
- A battle-ready 1400-era German knight's knife
- two crowbars, different size
- several baseball bats

All of which I can use. We also have a chainsaw in the shed, but I wouldn't use that except as a last resort. It's loud, dependant on outside power, very messy and has the risk of blowback.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Apr 29th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Luna.. what the heck is a German Knight's Knife??? Take a picture and post that please! I'm an advocate of a large..ahem, Crowbar myself... Titanium preferably. Light weight, strong and multipurpose.
Machette are also a great weapon. I call them the AK47 of swords.

mem
Apr 29th, 2011, 06:44 AM
armor, catapults, scorpions, swords, halberds, pikes. all good times indeed.
Undead eaters of flesh I shall smite thee with great........smashingness and sliceystuffs !

Teethingbiscuit
Apr 29th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I tried to start a conversation in the chatbox about black powder. I am intent on finishing a ball mill to be able to make my own black powder.

Yes you can make a bow from lumber. interested parties can pick up the Bowyers Bible. I am also intent on building a large crossbow with a leaf spring out of a pickup truck.

Looking into blacksmithing too. Own blades for defense and useful in the construction of battle rigs. Go offence!
Though if the infected are alive...
How dreadful to know how many you killed in haste looking back knowing that they could have been saved.

Toothless

mem
Apr 29th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Looking into blacksmithing too. Own blades for defense and useful in the construction of battle rigs. Go offence!
How dreadful to know how many you killed in haste looking back knowing that they could have been saved.

Toothless

that quote was epic and yet another reason i must watch Braveheart (on vhs) this weekend.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Apr 29th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I tried to start a conversation in the chatbox about black powder. I am intent on finishing a ball mill to be able to make my own black powder.

Yes you can make a bow from lumber. interested parties can pick up the Bowyers Bible. I am also intent on building a large crossbow with a leaf spring out of a pickup truck.

Toothless

Bah! If they try to eat you.. they die. "Off with their heads!"

Luna Guardian
Apr 29th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Luna.. what the heck is a German Knight's Knife??? Take a picture and post that please! I'm an advocate of a large..ahem, Crowbar myself... Titanium preferably. Light weight, strong and multipurpose.
Machette are also a great weapon. I call them the AK47 of swords.

Gotcha. As soon as I get my hands on a new camera after my current one died from overexposure to plaster dust at my apartment's renovation :(

Teethingbiscuit
Apr 29th, 2011, 12:54 PM
that quote was epic and yet another reason i must watch Braveheart (on vhs) this weekend.
mem,
I can not find the quote online from Braveheart. Help me out here, ehe?

Bar,
Is it as easy as that? More than one movie has a "pet" zombie even with a heavy overtones of a kill em all attitude. Is there no one you would save? I know I don't have the ability or resources to "save" an infected loved one but I would be sorrowful when/if there were a "cure" that came out soon after I went out of my way to swath down hoards of zed heads.
Biscuit

TASM
Jan 29th, 2012, 10:33 AM
If I may quote myself from a post at a different thread:

"Next stop? [after securing food supplies] Sports Authority. Check their page out: http://www.sportsauthority.com/categ...tdoor%20Gear_5
Think of the body protection and alternative weaponry (alternative to guns) you could find there! I'd think of some sort of cleats for good traction (anyone who's played footbal, baseball or soccer knows what a HUGE difference cleats make when running)."

I'm totally with ya' HaveCrowbarWillTravel. Bullets run out, ammo can be scarce. I think that in addition to projectile weaponry I would keep a very large stash of melee weapons. As a matter of fact, I'd keep one strapped to me at all times.
Taking inspiration from Dead Rising 2, I'd also try to combine some to increase damage potential.

TASM out...

TASM
Jan 29th, 2012, 10:37 AM
As stated in my main response to this thread... raid a sports store... Sports Authority for example. Plenty of pre-assembled bow in stock... and other goodies.

TASM out...

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 30th, 2012, 07:15 AM
If I may quote myself from a post at a different thread:

"Next stop? [after securing food supplies] Sports Authority. Check their page out: http://www.sportsauthority.com/categ...tdoor%20Gear_5
Think of the body protection and alternative weaponry (alternative to guns) you could find there! I'd think of some sort of cleats for good traction (anyone who's played footbal, baseball or soccer knows what a HUGE difference cleats make when running)."

I'm totally with ya' HaveCrowbarWillTravel. Bullets run out, ammo can be scarce. I think that in addition to projectile weaponry I would keep a very large stash of melee weapons. As a matter of fact, I'd keep one strapped to me at all times.
Taking inspiration from Dead Rising 2, I'd also try to combine some to increase damage potential.

TASM out...

hahahah. Dude, Cleats SUCK on pavement! ROFL!

looney
Jan 30th, 2012, 11:37 AM
I wasn't going to post on an old thread, but I feel I can add something. I teach military operations in an urban environment one week every 10 to a bunch of civilians trying to be soldiers. Myself and the other drill sergeants talk about zombie stuff a lot. I know personally I would always keep something with a blade for cutting (not Zs or people, but stuff like seat belts or MREs), something small to break windows (my work knife actually has a small pointed part on the butt of the knife for shattering windshields), and something for bashing skulls or breaching locked wooden doors. At work we have what's called a hooligan tool that would work perfectly, but it's a little large. An extendable baton works awesome and is pretty easy to carry without adding much weight or bulk. Overall, I wouldn't want something too heavy to swing quickly or bladed that could get stuck in a Z.

reaper239
Jan 30th, 2012, 01:25 PM
when i used to make chinook parts, i took a bunch of spare hinge rods and made, what i call, the riot stick. it's like 6-7 2 foot rods bound together with flashbreaker and duct tape. it has a good weight, and it's flexible. i keep it on the bike now for when i meet a-holes on the road. i have dented more than a few hoods of people coming over on my pack.