PDA

View Full Version : EVE anyone?

reaper239
Sep 26th, 2012, 05:05 AM
anyone playing it? i just started and i'm rolling with a mining corp.

LiamKerrington
Sep 26th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Hi there.

I had my share in EvE online. I played it a couple of times. And I tried many things within the game. I ended up becoming a master-carebear-mission-runner-mining-supporter with very occasional PvP; what I did not do so much were POS, factional warefare, Dominion and the latest developments in the game.
I spent a lot of time on the game, which is why I simply had to split from it. It is a time-sink after all. Also I changed to Linux, and since I am a mouse-pusher 2nd Class I have no idea how to run the client on Linux, because it is not supported by CCP ... Lucky me, else I would play the game another time ... :D

Enjoy your time! EvE Online is the only MMO I really got warm with, and I appreciate it knowing people playing the game. :)

Small advice: If a Hulkageddon is going to take place, avoid being a miner during that time ...

All the best!
Liam

reaper239
Sep 26th, 2012, 05:33 AM
what, exactly, is a hulkageddon?

yeah, i spent all afternoon yesterday on it and didn't realize it. i will definitely have to be more judicious with my time.

LiamKerrington
Sep 26th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Very simply put:

The Hulkageddon is a player-made event in which especially harcore-PvP-gamers gather in groups and attack Mining-Fleets - especially Hulks, Machinaws and Orcas. But they not only attack these fleets or ships, but they also attack them ONLY in high sec. Usually it is set up as kind of a competition: Huge gamer-corps and -alliances throw in millions of ISK and items, then they announce the "week of Hulkageddon", and during this weeks things start to happen. Third target: mining fleets that are 'macroed', i.e. that are not controlled by gamer per se, but by macros / scripts controlling the EvE UI and thus the mining fleet ...
Consequence: NPC Police (CONCORD) shows up to destroy the attacker; and the exciting question is: Who is faster - the attacker destroying the Hulks/ Mackinaws/ Orcas, or CONCORD defending the miners. Also the intention of the Hulkageddonists is to draw 'tears', id est flamings on local chat, private convo, eve-mail, forums etc. blabla.
Some side-effects: the price of new Hulks skyrocket like crazy, same with ores and minerals, because the Hulkageddon simply disturbs the mining of minerals.

You might think: Well, I don't fly a Hulk, Mackinaw or Orca, why should I care?
Because those PvP-dudes simply don't care. very often smaller Mining Vessels as well as industrials are attacked as well.

So that's it. The Hulkageddon does not take place so often, once or twice a year maybe.

I hope you have a good choice with your player-corp. Don't hesitate to switch corps a couple of times. You will learn a lot more that way. :D

All the best!
Liam

P.S.: http://hulkageddon.wordpress.com/

LiamKerrington
Sep 26th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Mh.

I just figured: the last Hulkageddon V was in May this year:

http://hulkageddon5.machine9.net/?cat=5

So probably there will be some time before the next one. Probably you have made a good choice to join EvE right now, 'cause the next Hulkageddon will be far in the future ..

All the best!
Liam

reaper239
Sep 26th, 2012, 07:05 AM
good thing my corp has a POS in a low sec system

LiamKerrington
Sep 26th, 2012, 07:52 AM
POS ... Hehehe ... Luckily POS are a common sight these days. A few years ago I was caugh right in the middle of a real POS warfare with like 5 -7 dreadnaughts, 1 titan, 2 mother ships and a huge fleet of battleships attacking our POS, while I was trying to help to defend it ... What a sight ... You don't forget that. And since I was just in a cruiser I was not shot into the face right at the beginning ... I could just observe the battle for a bit before I was taken down. We stood no chance - especially not when a second fleet of comparable size was enroute to rip us a part ... Amazing, really amazing. :)