PDA

View Full Version : The Theory of Everything - Where is this story going?

fridginators
Sep 10th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Hey guys,

So essentially I've been re-listening to the show a bit, and I figured that I'd do a bit of a write-up, essentially compiling what factors still have to be explained, and their potential arc significance. I think this is particularly important given the fact that the story has transitioned from the deeply personal and factional to now a grander scheme of things with many different human actors. Of course, we're not even sure exactly of what we don't know, and I write this on the eve of finding out (presumably) what happens to the Chinook and Captain Long, so I'm sure this will be out of date soon, but nonetheless, I think it'd be a good thought project. Note, I'm not going to go through every unanswered question here, just the main story-driving ones:

Michael's Arm and Randy

This is one of the longest-running unknowns, and I'm shocked it's still part of the story actually. I believe this to be of a psychological importance, and I think that our general theory of Michael sacrificing Randy, whether he went willingly or not, is accurate, and I believe that this will come back to haunt Michael. Randy is a smart one, but not a pimp-ass zombie, at least so it seems, so I can't think of anything else relevant. Perhaps Michael will return to LA and see Randy, this will catch him off guard and affect his mission.

Is Ink Pinstripes?

Almost definitely. Mental illness will likely play a role in him being a pimp-ass zombie, but more than that it's hard to say. Nonetheless, KC mentioned Ink for a reason. However:

Is there more than one pimp-ass zombie?

Forgive me if this hasn't been answered, but we have no idea how Ink would have got from the Arena to the Tower so quickly, or how he would even have known about the tower, or possibly even known that it was empty. Unless he outran a car/truck/hummer that the rest of them were in, there is no chance that this could have happened - especially as Ink was there for at least 20 minutes before Michael and co. returned. We are still unsure of the nature of the weird cult of Pinstripes. It would seem strange however to have more than one, as it would rather undermine the ominous, creepy nature of TOWTM.

Why are LA zombies weird?

Probably something to do with the Ring of Fire - this would explain why Kalani's zombies were "meaner" or whatever phrased he used. These places are special, and thus the cracks. Early, in Chapter 3 or 4 where Michael, Saul and Angel read people's journals and plot the timeline, they guess the outbreak happened around Inglewood. This centres future conflicts/missions around LA; gives a reason for them to return.

How do we reconcile the Mallers with the Military/Boulder?

As they no longer pose a real threat to Michael, this appears to be the most difficult element of the story to explain: how we're alive stays a story of people, not zombies. I believe that the Mallers are never going to directly challenge Ft Irwin or Boulder, although Scratch definitely has been trying. Unless they have significant armaments or are using the other survivors as hostages I'm unsure of how this will proceed - perhaps they will confront each other off the battlefield. I subscribe to Nikvoodoo's theory about Riley killing Scratch - with the caveat that perhaps Burt will go down with her and Riley and her will simply combat, although that definitely has to happen for Riley's sake.

Will we see the Boulder crew again?

100%. Michael and Pegs need to reunite (I personally believe Pegs will herself save Michael somehow), Kelly needs to get laid, Hope needs to contribute something, anything, to the plot and Datu needs to put on his brave maintenance man face once more. Their reunion will likely come at a time of crisis.

What will happen to the Colony?

It will eventually be either liberated or destroyed. Scratch cannot remain in control forever; either she will already lose this battle (I doubt it) or she will eventually lose when Saul and co. regroup or Michael and others play back-up. There is also the possibility that the whole place gets overrun, which is a recurring motif in We're Alive. Gatekeeper will likely die, either heroically, tragically or in the process of trying to become ruler again.

Tanya and Saul's blood

We don't have any clue right now. None, except they both appear to be somewhat immune. We don't really know anything about slow-turners either, or how the slow-turner bit Tanya when they executed him/her before they completely turned.

There. I think I covered most of the remaining story strands, although of course others will pop up. There still remain questions about Boulder and the Chinook of course, but we know so little that we don't even know the right questions to ask just yet. The most important part I feel is how KC continues to take this more macro-level trajectory that the story has reached and keeps it relevant on the micro-level.

Any comments or disagreements?

Edit: My bad, forgot the most important question of all: WHERE THE HELL IS SKITTLES?

DeadPixel
Sep 10th, 2012, 05:51 AM
I think you've just about covered everything here, with sound reasoning too. I think the majority of people probably have similar theories and belief when it comes to the directions the story can go.

With the Appearance of CODI, I'm guessing trips to the cracks will soon be on the agenda. With some recording equipment attached, they'll be able to have a good look around the area. This is just speculation, but it would seem logical, not to mention safer.

KC has several possibilities available in his tool box and I cant wait to see how events will unfold.

Great post btw!

LiamKerrington
Sep 10th, 2012, 06:09 AM
No. <br />
<br />
More important then Skittles is this question: <br />
<br />
WHERE THE EFF IS MR WHISKERS??? <br />
<br />
Anything else: solid, valid, although I am not so sure about all assumptions. <br />
<br />
Ink/ pins-stripes: He...

DeadPixel
Sep 10th, 2012, 06:19 AM
WHERE THE EFF IS MR WHISKERS???

Remember when Scratch said 'We have 2 of your people'..? ;)

<Insert Dramatic Realization Music Here>LE GASP!!

Just Kidding :P

CJ is the most likely person to have Mr Whiskers... Or maybe, Ink needs a cat to complete his evil genius cliché?

Cabbage Patch
Sep 10th, 2012, 04:21 PM
TOWTM beat the Hummer back to the Tower because it got stuck in traffic. It may be post-Apocalypse, but this is still LA, and everyone is always late because of traffic!

ferroaj
Sep 10th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Hey guys,

How do we reconcile the Mallers with the Military/Boulder?

As they no longer pose a real threat to Michael, this appears to be the most difficult element of the story to explain: how we're alive stays a story of people, not zombies. I believe that the Mallers are never going to directly challenge Ft Irwin or Boulder, although Scratch definitely has been trying. Unless they have significant armaments or are using the other survivors as hostages I'm unsure of how this will proceed - perhaps they will confront each other off the battlefield.

I think I can answer this one!

Ft. Irwin wasn't too selective about who they sent to Boulder. I can easily see the mallers contacting Ft. Irwin by radio, playing the part of a colony of survivors. Ft. Irwin would send transports and a medical team to check them out and bring them to Boulder. En route they either hijack the planes/choppers (unlikely unless they have a pilot) or stage a coup when they get to Boulder. Then Ft. Irwin would have to respond.

fridginators
Sep 11th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Ooh, clever. That then also brings in the element of Puck's complaints about the recruits. As we have learnt from this show: almost everything mentioned is mentioned for a reason.

Kc
Sep 11th, 2012, 09:37 AM
:

Is there more than one pimp-ass zombie?

Forgive me if this hasn't been answered, but we have no idea how Ink would have got from the Arena to the Tower so quickly, or how he would even have known about the tower, or possibly even known that it was empty. Unless he outran a car/truck/hummer that the rest of them were in, there is no chance that this could have happened - especially as Ink was there for at least 20 minutes before Michael and co. returned. We are still unsure of the nature of the weird cult of Pinstripes. It would seem strange however to have more than one, as it would rather undermine the ominous, creepy nature of TOWTM.

The story isn't explicit in the details of how long Angel and Riley spent looking for Datu at the Arena. In other words, it could have been some time after Samantha was killed before they got back to their tower.

Check out July 3rd area: http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=Timeline&redirect=no

Witch_Doctor
Sep 11th, 2012, 10:46 AM
The story isn't explicit in the details of how long Angel and Riley spent looking for Datu at the Arena. In other words, it could have been some time after Samantha was killed before they got back to their tower.

Check out July 3rd area: http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=Timeline&redirect=no

Wow, beat me to it.

fridginators
Sep 12th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Thanks KC.

riskbreaker23
Sep 14th, 2012, 07:38 PM
I have a prediction that Saul will die. Maybe not at the end of this season, but by the end of the show. Everyone says burt will die. Maybe there are some good reasons why they think burt will die, I just don't see it. We're expecting him to die. And unless this is the first time Kc does something we're expecting, he will live.

I think Saul will die for a few reasons. He and Angel have been the two luckiest characters as far as close encounters. Eventually, luck runs out. It did so for Angel, it will for Saul. The other thing is is Lizzy is having Saul's baby. Part of Saul will live on there. I don't know how or why, but I really feel like Saul's time will be up.

As far as the direction of the story, I like where you're going. One thing I want to say though. I don't think Kc is going to wrap up things until the end. There's more for this story to ask while answering some of the older questions. My question to you all is what do you think that might be?

SaltyDog
Oct 10th, 2012, 06:34 PM
I think the journal we hear Michael start writing in the first episode will tie back to the end of the series. He writes it, alone, as he is slowly being turned into one of them from a bite. This follows a final confrontation with a smart one, like Ink, where Michael realizes he has totally been played. Fade to black.

LongoriaN
Oct 18th, 2012, 03:45 PM
If I can throw out a theory here, since I love doing that so much. I think the whole story revolves around Bill Roberts, Randy, and Michael. The way the whole series starts is with Michael trying to piece it all together and figure “it” all out. To me this indicates alone. Michael is pretty driven and if he had a larger group I think he would still be driven to push on. The introduction with its slow downtrodden emotion and introspective tone really indicates he is alone.

Going deeper I think the lynch pin in understanding the whole story is with Randy. It has been hanging out like a huge matzo ball. Untouched. Additionally, based on the whole story arch, I could see the irony in Michael having some information from the randy event that could totally break open the story. If you think about who Michael is as a character, his biggest fault as a person is his inability to allow people into his emotional side, this in life and relationships results in a lack of information. To me that would be the ultimate conclusion to the story, Michael an intelligence master is so mired down in his personal pain and emotions that he misses a key piece of information.

Randy was described as a “Techy” and was smart enough to keep the water running. He also as a zombie was able to engage the humans and survive on multiple occasions. So he’s a “smart one”. He was with CJ’s group early on.

So the theory:

I think Randy was one of the people selected to explore ground zero. During their exploration one person turned. A lot of seemingly useless information was overshadowed by this event and people walked away from the experience not fully realizing what they had witnessed. Later Randy is selected for water detail, in which he runs into Michael. Maybe he’s a slow turner or is still human, he then proceeds to communicate with Michael about what he knows. None of the information is obvious (I.E. He doesn’t out and out say they explored ground zero and found this. Michael would have realized the importance of the event and would have shared it with the tower) But he communicates with Michael in a way that leaves Michael dumbfounded and confused. (I.E. Michael is all injured and is having a hard time thinking) Once all this information is all revealed the full story arch will be more obvious. Randy and Michael are the story.

I can’t help but think that when victor and saul were at ground zero and they were debating on whether firing a weapon or not, that was designed for second listeners, What would have happened? Maybe that would have been way more informative than the crack. The episodes were the least happens are usually the ones that have the most information later on; when there is more context.

7oddisdead
Oct 18th, 2012, 10:49 PM
to bring it back to the pinstripes idea...

ive put this one forward before, but why would it be out of the realm of possiblity for ink/pinstripes/towtm to "literally" create copies of himself...honestly the only details anyone retains about him are the tats and the suit..sooo

why could he not steal away with the smart ones he finds, tattoo their hands, neck, whathaveyou(we have evidence of him, or somebody tattooing the little ones)..and a quick run down to the mens warehouse for a snappy new suit. hell, if thats the case he could easily be anywhere. for that matter, the real "ink" could actually not be turned at all! there's a crazy thought for ya (that last part is bullshit, the rest? you decide)

LiamKerrington
Oct 19th, 2012, 12:24 PM
why could he not steal away with the smart ones he finds, tattoo their hands, neck, whathaveyou(we have evidence of him, or somebody tattooing the little ones)..

Although this might get off-topic-ish ... Earlier I wondered: Would the new generations of Little Ones which NEVER encountered Ink/ pinstripes/ Bill Roberts/ the Coloured one (regardless whether it is the same Zeeh or they are different ones) actually follow his lead, submit to his plans; or would they simply barbecue him instead, 'cause he would be in the wrong place at the wrong time when encountering those new Little Ones the only two times in his life - the first and the last time?

All the best!
Liam

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Oct 19th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Although this might get off-topic-ish ... Earlier I wondered: Would the new generations of Little Ones which NEVER encountered Ink/ pinstripes/ Bill Roberts/ the Coloured one (regardless whether it is the same Zeeh or they are different ones) actually follow his lead, submit to his plans; or would they simply barbecue him instead, 'cause he would be in the wrong place at the wrong time when encountering those new Little Ones the only two times in his life - the first and the last time?

All the best!
Liam

Hm, have there ever been zombies killing other zombies? *Just wondering*

LiamKerrington
Oct 19th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Hm, have there ever been zombies killing other zombies? *Just wondering*

Skittles mentioned it - they eat everything, humans and themselves ... And considering the mountains of dead bodies back at the arena I even woudln't want to argue it, 'cause I don't hold it as unlikely that between the bodies could have been zeeh-bodies as well ... Also I don't think Skittles would make up something like this ...

fridginators
Oct 20th, 2012, 04:31 PM
If I can throw out a theory here, since I love doing that so much. I think the whole story revolves around Bill Roberts, Randy, and Michael. The way the whole series starts is with Michael trying to piece it all together and figure “it” all out. To me this indicates alone. Michael is pretty driven and if he had a larger group I think he would still be driven to push on. The introduction with its slow downtrodden emotion and introspective tone really indicates he is alone.

Going deeper I think the lynch pin in understanding the whole story is with Randy. It has been hanging out like a huge matzo ball. Untouched. Additionally, based on the whole story arch, I could see the irony in Michael having some information from the randy event that could totally break open the story. If you think about who Michael is as a character, his biggest fault as a person is his inability to allow people into his emotional side, this in life and relationships results in a lack of information. To me that would be the ultimate conclusion to the story, Michael an intelligence master is so mired down in his personal pain and emotions that he misses a key piece of information.

Randy was described as a “Techy” and was smart enough to keep the water running. He also as a zombie was able to engage the humans and survive on multiple occasions. So he’s a “smart one”. He was with CJ’s group early on.

So the theory:

I think Randy was one of the people selected to explore ground zero. During their exploration one person turned. A lot of seemingly useless information was overshadowed by this event and people walked away from the experience not fully realizing what they had witnessed. Later Randy is selected for water detail, in which he runs into Michael. Maybe he’s a slow turner or is still human, he then proceeds to communicate with Michael about what he knows. None of the information is obvious (I.E. He doesn’t out and out say they explored ground zero and found this. Michael would have realized the importance of the event and would have shared it with the tower) But he communicates with Michael in a way that leaves Michael dumbfounded and confused. (I.E. Michael is all injured and is having a hard time thinking) Once all this information is all revealed the full story arch will be more obvious. Randy and Michael are the story.

I can’t help but think that when victor and saul were at ground zero and they were debating on whether firing a weapon or not, that was designed for second listeners, What would have happened? Maybe that would have been way more informative than the crack. The episodes were the least happens are usually the ones that have the most information later on; when there is more context.This is all very perceptive. Of course it's doubtful that it'll be 100% right, but I agree that the Randy plot-line will be of huge significance - whereas Kalani's journal was wrapping up loose ends, this is something that directly feeds into Michael's psyche, and yeah as you said, may contain valuable information. And we didn't really gain enough from 28-3 - there must be something else to learn from that asides the cracks.

Edit: And Skittles is actually more important to the story than I think we give him credit. We will see him again, dead or alive, and I think we will learn more from him, he probably has some information he knew when he was still Duncan. Maybe they'll come across him as he's been bit, just before he turns or something like that - I don't really see him living, but I see him being important.