PDA

View Full Version : The huge cracks in the floor at ground zero...

Gfresh
Aug 31st, 2012, 02:58 PM
Hi, nooby here, I had a look through the threads and only found the "haze" thread, which so far seems to be unrelated, so here goes...

The huge cracks in the floor at ground zero, another great twist to KC's evolving masterpiece!
Three things that spring to mind:

1. The cracks possibly breach into an underground lab (deep underground lab!) and the cause of the mutation/plague/experiment has escaped from here?

2. A little far-fetched, but the cracks are possibly an opening into another dimension (Cthulhu-style) or even Hell itself (Doom-style) and the cause is actually a malevolent force?

3. Something BIG and as yet unseen has made the cracks :mad:

LiamKerrington
Aug 31st, 2012, 03:57 PM
1. The cracks possibly breach into an underground lab (deep underground lab!) and the cause of the mutation/plague/experiment has escaped from here?

Then these things showed up in many places - like besides L.A. on Hawaii, in other huge cities of the US, in Japan, China and anywehere else. Maybe this is the case that many underground facilities erupted there Zombie-agent almost simultaneously in different locations of the world ... But something tells me: Unlikely, though not impossible.

2. A little far-fetched, but the cracks are possibly an opening into another dimension (Cthulhu-style) or even Hell itself (Doom-style) and the cause is actually a malevolent force?

Actually I end up pretty often at something Doom-style. Is it really that farfetched considering the huge variety of special ones which were questioned being human before the outbreak?

3. Something BIG and as yet unseen has made the cracks :mad:

Dun.dun.DUNNNN!
http://youtu.be/y8Kyi0WNg40

Lilydragon
Sep 5th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Could be a terrorist plot to bring down the biggest power players around the world. They drop bombs, which created the cracks and desroyed some underground chemical waste facility causing the haze, containing mutated DNA in multiple locations. These places have some of the smartest people and the terroists let the world implode. When it's apparent that no surviving government is left they come out say they have a cure or at least an antibody to prevent being turned. The catch is you have to become loyal to them to get it.
I know this is out there, and I just fininished The Silk Code. It's got a few of the same ideas here. You can ignore, I'm sick and not feeling good...

Robzombie
Sep 5th, 2012, 11:22 AM
I think it was a natural occurance that happened on a global scale, no bad guys, no aliens, no conspiracies or super natural forces. Although not to me, it may be kinda boring to some, but I think it's cool to ultimately not have some other motive. It just happened, lets deal with it and move on best we can.

LiamKerrington
Sep 5th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I think it was a natural occurance that happened on a global scale, no bad guys, no aliens, no conspiracies or super natural forces. Although not to me, it may be kinda boring to some, but I think it's cool to ultimately not have some other motive. It just happened, lets deal with it and move on best we can.

Although thinking about it, I'd love to see no 'solution' or 'conclusion' about the cracks in the ground. Did anyone check whether the cities in which the outbreak started are all along continental rifts (don't know the technical term for this) or volcanic regions - like L.A. is at the St. Andreas rift ... And what about the other cities?

Robzombie
Sep 5th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Its called the Ring of Fire (The Pacific Rim I believe). I haven't checked myself (if I just listened to what countries again I'd know) but I'm pretty sure in threads quite a while ago we went over this and someone said yup...ring of fire. The highly volcanic regions in and around the Pacific...but I think China was mentioned wasn't it...if so then it extends somewhat onto the mainland.

LiamKerrington
Sep 5th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Yeah, and there were many different huge cities of the US ... Liek Denver or what? And Denver is not famous for its volcanoes or earthquakes ...

Robzombie
Sep 5th, 2012, 02:27 PM
along mountain belts such as the Rocky Mountains? sure...powerful enough burp (or fart) from inside Earth that it pushes up through previously stabalized continental coasts and is seen well beyond the pacific rim.

LiamKerrington
Sep 5th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Ok, I will tripple-check on what cities were directly hit ... There were two chapters in which we receive distinct information about it - first from Lizzy after she has checked TV-recievers in The Twoer, later by Col. Kimmet when he introduced the situation to Sgt. Cross ... I'll be back with more intel ...

Done ...
Well, looks like we have this list of confirmed cities in which "riots" started ... L.A., Santiago, New York, Houston, Chicago, Detroit (not specified which one), Hawaii, Seattle ...

Col. Kimmel confirmed that it seemed to have started at the coast lines with additional two hotspots at the bay-areas. So, no ... The East Coast really has nothing to do with earthquakes and volcanoes. The only thing in common are the shores or huge waters ... But Ground Zero or Inglewood in L.A. or not really next to the waterline ...

So basically there is no real "geographical" explanation.

DeadPixel
Sep 5th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Trying to connect the cracks in the ground to the man with the markings, makes my head spin :P From what i know so far (i could be wrong), he's the one giving the special ones their numbers and is the leader all of the turned. There seems to be some kind of hierarchy as some follow orders given by the larger ones too. Why people near the cracks feel funny confuses me too. If the cracks or whatever came out of them caused the zombies (some form of airborne invisible stuff that came out and lingered), wouldn't the people who got close (Victor) have turned by now? It may be after prolonged periods, but why would anyone stay in an area that makes them feel crappy? It seems to have some kind of set permanent radius (unconfirmed). If this isn't true, why hasn't spread past the original ground zero area? Wouldn't the wind carry whatever it is?

If the cracks are related. Why is there a hierarchy within the zombie ranks? What's with the numbers? I get they have different traits due to the type of person they were before turning, but this doesn't support mutation.

I'm not 100% sure yet, my mind is so conflicted but, there's a chance the cracks are unrelated to the cause. The links so far, don't add up or just become too confusing.

LiamKerrington
Sep 5th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Hi.

@DeadPixel. Plenty of question:
- I agree with you that Ink is responsible for the markings on the little ones;
- There is definitily a hierarchy at least within the Zeds gathering around Ink; but considering the speed by witch Zedism spread (1.5 days until the whole USA was covered according to Col. Kimmel) I think it is more likely for many smaller 'groups', 'clans', 'bloodlines' of Zeds having established themselves. Just think of L.A.: We had the arena/ hospital 'army' that was responsible for attacking both Towers, we had the water-zeds, we had the Zeds at the Colony attacking it wavelike and in the beginning on a regular basis which does not apply for the group around Ink, which seems to act more along a plan or something (food gathering, 'games', planned attacks) etc.;
- The feeling around the crack is still a mystery; and it will be for quite some time; don'T forget that Ground Zero is void of any life; probably the 'thing' making you breath hard or feel bad may not carry over to other parts due to wind, because the atmospheric concentration of 'it' may be reduced heavily rendering it ineffective;
- since the strange feeling did not change Saul and CJ and Pegs (!), although all three of them were affected for quite some time, it is more unlikely that 'it' is responsible for Zedism; also keep in mind: When it all started, Zeds spawned rappidly, spread quickly and devastated L.A.'s population within hours;

Yeah. There is plenty of confusion; and my 'rational' here may be utterly wrong. But thinking along this line gives me some kind of relief and I can focus a lot more on what will happen next.

All the best!
Liam
in a hurry, so: tl;rd

DeadPixel
Sep 6th, 2012, 01:39 AM
Some solid points there Liam :)

Hopefully, the answer to the cracks in the ground will be revealed sometime soon!

I may be entirely wrong, but was it confirmed that the 'little ones' were mutating? I think i recall Saul and Victor both agreeing that the little ones 'Arent so little any more'.. Maybe they are like lickers from Resident Evil, and mutate when they feed?

I bet the answer to the cracks in the ground is really simple, and we're just overlooking it :P

LiamKerrington
Sep 6th, 2012, 07:49 AM
I may be entirely wrong, but was it confirmed that the 'little ones' were mutating? I think i recall Saul and Victor both agreeing that the little ones 'Arent so little any more'.. Maybe they are like lickers from Resident Evil, and mutate when they feed?

I bet the answer to the cracks in the ground is really simple, and we're just overlooking it :P

And don't forget Glenn telling Saul, Victor and CJ that the "little one Roman" even changed over night. So yes, we have several acknowledgements of this theory, which almost makes it a fact.

Yeah, I actually prepare myself for major facepalming, if/ when the crack-mystery is uncovered ... :cool:

All the best!
Liam

DeadPixel
Sep 6th, 2012, 01:12 PM
And don't forget Glenn telling Saul, Victor and CJ that the "little one Roman" even changed over night. So yes, we have several acknowledgements of this theory, which almost makes it a fact.

Yeah I was going to mention this but it slipped my mind :P Maybe, depending which one bites you, you become the same type (apart from the smart ones)?

Also (this may already be confirmed and I've missed it), is there an 'Ink' at any of the other locations? Surely the zombies at other states would be following someones orders since the hierarchy is there, right?

Robzombie
Sep 6th, 2012, 01:53 PM
There is no official hierarchy per se. All we know is that Bill Roberts (Ink) probably because of him being insane (paranoid schizophrenic) has been affected differently from most and is able to...

DeadPixel
Sep 6th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Hmm.. That's very possible Robzombie.. Very possible indeed. :)

Maybe I'm wrong, I just thought I recalled the lesser ones listening to the big ones on several occasions.

Robzombie
Sep 6th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Hmm.. That's very possible Robzombie.. Very possible indeed. :)

Maybe I'm wrong, I just thought I recalled the lesser ones listening to the big ones on several occasions.

Do you mean the behemoths? No, the regulars tend to stay away from them. Right now I'm going through the story for over the twentieth time and I don't recall any zombies listening to any other zombies except Ink, or what may have been an otherwise unidentified smart one.

DeadPixel
Sep 6th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Ah, oki doki :)

Thanks for clearing that up for me! :)

It's possible the cries came from an USO (unidentified smart one) :P

PaulLev
Sep 26th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Could be a terrorist plot to bring down the biggest power players around the world. They drop bombs, which created the cracks and desroyed some underground chemical waste facility causing the haze, containing mutated DNA in multiple locations. These places have some of the smartest people and the terroists let the world implode. When it's apparent that no surviving government is left they come out say they have a cure or at least an antibody to prevent being turned. The catch is you have to become loyal to them to get it.
I know this is out there, and I just fininished The Silk Code. It's got a few of the same ideas here. You can ignore, I'm sick and not feeling good...

Hope you feel better.

Gfresh
Sep 27th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Going right back, alllllll the wayyyy back to the first episode, it all starts with a big kaboom! Does anyone know if this was explained as part of the chaos (ie, fuel station blowing up, explosives being used against the zombies etc)? Or is there a chance it may be related to the cracks?

LiamKerrington
Sep 27th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Going right back, alllllll the wayyyy back to the first episode, it all starts with a big kaboom! Does anyone know if this was explained as part of the chaos (ie, fuel station blowing up, explosives being used against the zombies etc)? Or is there a chance it may be related to the cracks?

It all started with a kaboom ... Seconds later they had the TVs showing top news that mentioned riots all over the place. That is why I would say: Well, the pocast started with a kaboom, but the kaboom was not the real beginning, because riots not just happen automatically 'cause somewhere is a detonation.
But this does not mean that the cracks at ground zero might not be the result of the kaboom ...

Gfresh
Nov 15th, 2012, 01:57 PM
It all started with a kaboom ... Seconds later they had the TVs showing top news that mentioned riots all over the place. That is why I would say: Well, the pocast started with a kaboom, but the kaboom was not the real beginning, because riots not just happen automatically 'cause somewhere is a detonation.
But this does not mean that the cracks at ground zero might not be the result of the kaboom ...

I think you're right, the "kaboom" was most likely unrelated to the cracks, due to the timing.

What I'm wondering now is, did the cracks appear rapidly/instantaneously, as a result of some impact, or did they appear gradually- maybe AFTER the outbreak?
If they were to appear rapidly, some noise must have been made. If they appeared gradually they could have done so silently, or maybe with low/quiet rumbles.

Any thoughts?

Chadzero
Nov 23rd, 2012, 09:38 PM
That's a good point. However, I think if they were expanding afterwards they would have caused tremors noticeable by the survivors. Though maybe that's not unusual for that area. I have know idea how many earthquakes and shakes the LA area gets.

wh33t
Jan 22nd, 2013, 03:20 PM
I've been thinking about Inglewood again. I'm re-listening to the whole story again and I'm realizing how different Season 1 is from Season 3. From what I understand about the story and what I think are foreshadowed hints in the story, Ink is very central to the story line. He is a mental patient and I also believe he is connected with the "family" (the same gang that the Mallers and Angels father are a part of), my evidence for this is the TIVO recording where "the family" can be heard on the broadcast. Sure it could be any family but that would seem like an amazing coincidence. Does anyone else find it curious that so many of the Mallers (ex-cons) are part of the Family (or am I just assuming this), at least it seems that way. We have heard Scratch mention that Durai understands quite a bit of what it is going on with the Zombies (you hear this when they are bombing the arena), to me that strengthens the connection between Ink and the family. Why or how else could Durai understand so much considering he's been locked up in prison?

Then we have the mention of Raydon labs, and we know that Ink does not have regular Zombie eyes. Now I haven't considered that Inks mental condition might be the special factor that makes him unique, like maybe the Zombie virus can't destroy a mind that's so broken already, that's an interesting idea. And finally we get to Inglewood which makes everything so complicated. Kalani first mentions ground zero and seeing "unique" creatures there, is this a hint that if you stay there long enough and are exposed to the gas long enough you die and then rise as a Zombie?

All I can conclude so far is that this gas was used to treat Inks condition, some kind of experimental medicine on Ink which caused him to go Zombie and begin the outbreak but I have absolutely no idea how to link it with Hawaii unless of course Kalani was just lying around Hawaii being infected. Kalani was a liar after all and he even said that he felt the Zombies in Hawaii were meaner than the ones they have near the Tower, imagine that.

Your thoughts?

reaper239
Jan 22nd, 2013, 05:31 PM
not sure where, but i think kc debunked the tivo family thing as being more like something random

wh33t
Jan 22nd, 2013, 05:35 PM
not sure where, but i think kc debunked the tivo family thing as being more like something random

Ooh really! Please find me that post!

scbubba
Jan 22nd, 2013, 08:07 PM
Ooh really! Please find me that post!

Here you go: http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3855-Let-the-Speculation-Begin!&p=53454&viewfull=1#post53454

reaper239
Jan 23rd, 2013, 06:06 AM
well, i won't say that it isn't foreshadowing inks involvement, but it isn't THE family.

Witch_Doctor
Jan 23rd, 2013, 06:16 AM
Here you go: http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3855-Let-the-Speculation-Begin!&p=53454&viewfull=1#post53454

This was like learning that there was no shooter on the grassy knoll.

reaper239
Jan 23rd, 2013, 06:22 AM

there was no... what? dude you're blowin my mind here! like a bullet to the brainpan.

scbubba
Jan 23rd, 2013, 07:37 AM

Back... and to the left.

Back.... and to the left!

Red Shirt
Jan 26th, 2013, 12:21 PM
For further reading, there was a lot of discussion on the cracks, geology & simultaneity of outbreak locations during the discussion for Chapter 28, pt. 3/3 (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3120-Chapter-28-Last-Dying-Breath-Part-3).

And: some of my supposition from that thread:

Again the problem I have with this is the timing and perhaps the location of the University/College in relation to Inglewood. If there was an underground explosion of that sort of level that he could hear, then it is likely that the might have felt the ground move. To make cracks in the ground of that size it needs to be a reasonable major jolt.
An earthquake or explosion wasn't something that any of the reports they collected in the Tower mentions. It seems to be likely that might have come up at some point.

True, to crack open the Earth as deeply as it is implied by Saul's surveying, it would have to have been a significant quake. Something on the order of 6, 7 or even higher magnitude. Unless the widening of the cracks is something that has been taking place for a loooong time, slowly and steadily. The "explosion" could have been the "gas" build up inside the crack(s) finally punching through and there was no quake at all.

Another thing that occurred to me today is that Kolani said that this started on the Big Island and then spread. As it happens, only the Big Island has active volcanoes today (http://www.hawaiilogue.com/active-volcanoes-in-hawaii.html). Two in fact. He also said that they were nastier there than the ones in LA... The crust is "thinner" in Hawaii, therefore it stands to reason that IF something welled up from below the surface, Hawaii would get a bigger/worse "dose."

The analogy I'm thinking of is an air bubble under a sheet of ice. It will spread out, "looking" for ways to escape. Either through holes (Hawaii) or cracks (San Andreas and sub-faults)

So, did this only happen to Hawaii and LA? Or did this happen all around the Pacific rim, along the "Ring of Fire?" Or globally, starting at faults and volcanoes?

Here's the thing. We can kick around all these reasonable hypotheses, but why the near simultaneity of the "event?" In my mind casts doubt on it being "natural." So is it the "End Times," the awakening of an Eldrtich Horror, or has Mother Nature finally had enough of our crap?

And more from 29; 2/3:

...Uh, Unless the Outbreak Didn't Start Along the Ring of Fire...
So all looks good for the Ring of Fire thing. However, way back in Ch. 2-3 ("The Two Things"), at 2:23, when they are listening to the TIVO of the news broadcasts about the outbreak, the following cities are mentioned as having 'rioting':

LA, San Diego, Detroit, Houston, Chicago, New York

I don't think that it is strictly related to the Ring of Fire alone. It is just that that particular area of the planet is, shall we say, a bit more obvious in its seismic activity.

Houston is riddled with faults (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080424153833.htm) and Northwest Houston is apparently sinking (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100928122604.htm).

New York Has a fault right under 125th street. (http://www.pacepress.org/features/manhattan-walks-on-the-125th-street-fault-line-1.1501940#.T6h_lMXWZrk)

Detroit & Chicago

Close enough to the New Madrid (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone) and Wabash Vally (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabash_Valley_Seismic_Zone) Fault Complex/Seismic Zones in the Reelfoot Rift (http://quake.ualr.edu/public/reelfoot.htm), that there could easily be undiscovered tangential faults. There could even be undiscovered fault complexes further north, as it has been noted that New Madrid activity is slowing and Wabash Vally is increasing. Like something is moving north.

Point of note: the two big quakes in New Zealand recently were on a previously undiscovered fault. I'd be curious to see what the status of other seismically active areas is in WA. Places like Iceland, the north Mediterranean and the Horn of Africa.

My research into this for the reply and for a fan fic I am working on revealed the Brevard Fault Zone in Atlanta. Cuts right through northwest metro, parallel to the Chattahoochee river and apparently the southeast border of my county. Snap.

Sure, I'm being lazy linking to those threads, but why retype them? I also wanted to put them into context as well, since they were replies to questions...

But during this, an idea I have been noodling for a bit has finally jogged loose...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XfWcykFrU

BATMOBILE! INTERNET!

wh33t
Feb 19th, 2013, 11:33 PM

</3

kdalton
Mar 7th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Interesting all the initial outbreaks occurred on the Pacific Rim.

Robzombie
Mar 7th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Interesting all the initial outbreaks occurred on the Pacific Rim.

Yup, thats why I've always said that I think it's a natural occurance. The Earth just farted and now everyones eating each other. I think our characters may never find out the cause, and at best may speculate to it, and I'm betting that they will speculate that it was a natural occurance. Although I do think they will eventually see evidence in the bodies and develope a possible cure or prevention.

scbubba
Mar 7th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Yup, thats why I've always said that I think it's a natural occurance. The Earth just farted and now everyones eating each other. I think our characters may never find out the cause, and at best may speculate to it, and I'm betting that they will speculate that it was a natural occurance. Although I do think they will eventually see evidence in the bodies and develope a possible cure or prevention.

This guy. This sentence. Awesome.

ImPaul
May 9th, 2013, 07:45 PM
I was origionally thinking the crack could be from a San-Andreas fault earthquake, but San-Andreas doesn't directly go through LA. Anyhow, some mysterious gas could be turning ppl into zombies. Some kind of gas released from the earthquake.

Cammi
Jun 6th, 2013, 06:29 AM
When the earth cracked open it released demons to infest humans so satan can have his turn ruling the earth with there being different levels of demons that is were the other kinds come from at first when they arrive they do not know what to do with themselves and go crazy but now that they have been here for a while they start to follow Lilith (ink) lucifers highest general demon to lead his army of demons (zombie) but our Hero's can not let this happen so they will find out how to close the gates of hell and banish these creatures from this world for another 10,000 years ha ha ha

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Jun 6th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I'll go stick with the idea of a big mean extraterrestrial giant squid deep under Inglewood...

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2011/201/9/9/squid_by_pixelpirate-d414dhs.jpg

clayeuts
Sep 23rd, 2013, 12:06 PM
Actually Los Angeles, Ca is riddled with "Fault" lines that shift to cause earthquakes.

Grognaurd
Sep 23rd, 2013, 07:04 PM
When the earth cracked open it released demons to infest humans so satan can have his turn ruling the earth with there being different levels of demons that is were the other kinds come from at first when they arrive they do not know what to do with themselves and go crazy but now that they have been here for a while they start to follow Lilith (ink) lucifers highest general demon to lead his army of demons (zombie) but our Hero's can not let this happen so they will find out how to close the gates of hell and banish these creatures from this world for another 10,000 years ha ha ha

Demons are not high on my list, but I could see an antediluvian race like the Vril. The combination of Science and mysticism also harkens Nazi science of the occult. But, that is too far out even for me.

scbubba
Sep 23rd, 2013, 07:45 PM
Demons are not high on my list, but I could see an antediluvian race like the Vril. The combination of Science and mysticism also harkens Nazi science of the occult. But, that is too far out even for me.

Yeah, I'm kinda shying away from mysticism and too much of the paranormal as the cause. Maybe someone in the show, Ink perhaps, thought he was dabbling in magic/mysticism and inadvertently unleashed science/tech/nature on the world. But I'm not feeling it as the actual cause. Could be dead wrong on this one and will gladly dine on the crow at he end, if so....

Storm
Sep 24th, 2013, 12:33 AM

And Michael will lead God's army in the war... And kill Old Scratch... :)
....I guess I'm going for a more natural cause. :)

7oddisdead
Sep 24th, 2013, 12:36 AM
its so hard to pinpoint any one specific area to name as the "cause" of the cracks/infection/explosion. the one thing we can lean toward is the fact that KC tends to stay toward the hard scifi end of sci fi/fantasy(whichever this falls under). this in my mind at least throws paranormal out the window....paranormal does not however include alien. perhaps not alien from space, but alien to even human knowledge. heh, perhaps an ancient evil the likes of those from h.p. lovecraft tales, long dead, long forgotten voids of space within the earth...who knows how that would affect mankind. that certainly could be a way to include all the easter eggs and clues we have been given.

well shit, im rambling...>peasout

Gfresh
Jul 1st, 2014, 05:20 AM
...so it's looking like they might have been caused (partially at least) by tunneling zombie miners?

404lifenotfound
Jul 2nd, 2014, 07:00 PM
At first I thought it was Radon gas (a highly radioactive gas found in abundance deep underground, and yes I see the pun), now I doubt it,maybe Ink experimented with new mutations underground and the test subjects died, we know the dead Creatures put out that haze, and the cracks could've been caused if a tunnel collapsed, or if succesful experimentations (i.e Behemoths) could have broken through the tunnel ceilings to get above ground.