PDA

View Full Version : Used to love it... now I'm bored

zBrendon
Aug 30th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Hello,

I used to really like this show. But now it seems like nothing is happening. I understand this is an ongoing story, but In my opinion each chapter just drags on, and on, and on, and nothing happens.

I would like to have some form of conflict, action, and resolution to each chapter. Instead, we get conflict, action, conflict, action, conflict... no resolution.

I am bored...

Anyone else feel this way?

yarri
Aug 30th, 2012, 09:32 AM
No, I'm loving every second of it. I find the story well written and my attention is fully engaged at all times.

Penguine
Aug 30th, 2012, 11:03 AM
I have to agree with Yarri here, still loving it. Every couple weeks I start over from Chapter 1 and sit here and listen while at work. Not sure how you can say nothing is happening. This is not a 1hr tv show where there is a crime, investigation, dude goes to jail Law and Order style. This is an ongoing story.

reaper239
Aug 30th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Hello,

I used to really like this show. But now it seems like nothing is happening. I understand this is an ongoing story, but In my opinion each chapter just drags on, and on, and on, and nothing happens.

I would like to have some form of conflict, action, and resolution to each chapter. Instead, we get conflict, action, conflict, action, conflict... no resolution.

I am bored...

so, my question is: what kind of conflict would you like to see? over the last several chapters we've followed the LA crew to the colony, "watched" them perform detailed recon (the more boring details thankfully left out) dodgeing zombies, listened as they infiltrated the colony (somewhat unsuccesfully, seeing as vicky got caught, even if it was by a friend) and followed through the embattled streets of the colony as a coup kicked off, though not in the way we expected. there has been, as i see it, lots of human conflict, even if it did take time to build to the point it's at now, but that's part of what makes it so sweet, the build up to a climax that does not dissapoint imho. now, if your complaint is that you wanted to see more zoms here in the last few chapters, i can't necessarily fault you for that, after all, a light sprinkling of zombies can make anything better, but i can honestly say that i find the zombie appearences that have occured adequate and satisfactory for my desire for zombies. the story is so twisted and convoluted, and scratch so evil in her constant escape of death, that i have a really hard time not enjoying the show. i'm sure i could if i tried, but that just seems counter-productive.

so, the question stands, if you would: what is it that you're unhappy about with the series, in what ways do you find it boring?

LiamKerrington
Aug 30th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Short: No.
A little longer: Yeah, turns out that the story-embedded mixture of conflict and action have become more complex with resolutions occuring less regular then what we used to have in seasons 1 and 2. But on the other side the suspense gets a lot bigger. I figured that a lot of the suspense-potential is carried by many small details and the tiny spins in details of the story-arc(s). So, still I am not dissappointed about how WA evolves.
Also I considered the 3rd season as kind of a wrap-up which concludes many open questions from the first seasons so far - just take a look at the Kalani-Story, the Other Tower, some of the mysteries of the Z-pocalypse etc. blabla ...
So yes: I agree with you in so far as the "style" of the show has changed, but this in a very good and supporting way for the WA-verse.

All the best!
Liam

Robzombie
Aug 30th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Yeah I've been a listener since about chapter 6 so I've been with these characters from fairly early on and for a long time now. I've just about finished listeneing through it again for about the 20th+ time and each time I seem to catch something new that I hadn't heard before or some new angle on whats going on. These characters and the story in general go through a hell of a lot and has never dragged on for me. I think season 3 will resolve most of the human vs human stuff and fully expect season 4 to take us through the human vs zombie stuff to what I'm sure will be its amazing conclusion.

nikvoodoo
Aug 30th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Had this been posted back before Kalani's journal, I could understand. That was closer to frustrating to me.

Do I understand how some of the "lack of resolution" can be frustrating? Yes. Absolutely. But I'm all about the journey we're being taken on with the faith that it will be rewarded. But I have to agree with Reaper. I don't understand how anything in the last 2 chapters could be considered unrewarding as it's leading to a larger conclusion. This is the classic way to structure a radio drama. Long form story lines are the norm.

Litmaster
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:00 AM
I can see the criticism of Ch. 3, as the story has spilled out and become more open-ended since the tower collapsed and the groups split up. My favorite part of the story is still from Season 1... I really liked the aspect of securing the tower, the search for supplies and food, the fortifications, etc. I tend to like survival stories in general, and there is something about the Robinson Crusoe-esque details that are interesting for me...

...I would also like to see the zombies re-establish themselves as the main bad-guys of our tale, rather than Scratch & Co...

* 200th post!

riskbreaker23
Aug 31st, 2012, 10:16 PM
No, I'm loving every second of it. I find the story well written and my attention is fully engaged at all times.

I'm with Yarri. We begged for more info from KC EACH chapter in Season 2. And yet he teased and teased and teased, asking more questions than answering. Now in Season 3 I feel like we're getting down to business, we're finding out more and more, while he is still asking questions. In every season there are sections where it is slow, this is inevitable to a good story. THERE WILL BE SLOW PARTS. It gives the listener (viewer, reader, etc...) time to relish the questions and really ask them. The action is heating up. This last chapter is proof of that.

Miss
Sep 15th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I am still really enjoyin it as well, as others have said its not a show that can be wrapped up in a neat little package at the end of each chapter and we are not very far into the third season,and we have multi groups that have alot going on emotionaly, so about the matter of more action there has been action just not the " OMG the tower is coming down and we are being shot at by criminals and the chopper crashed and OMG there are zombies coming OMG!!" it cant be that way each episode or we wouldldnt have any character growth, or moving the story ahead and miss all sorts of explinations of past things

Osiris
Sep 15th, 2012, 08:35 PM
How did I miss this? :hsugh:

Gfresh
Sep 22nd, 2012, 03:05 PM
Hello,

I am bored...

I'm not bored.

However, I only discovered We're Alive for the first time earlier this year. I listened to about 25hrs of immersive story telling in the space of a few days, the episode times had no effect on me as I had them all loaded one after the other on my MP3 player. When I caught up to the present episodes I suddenly realised how short the episodes are, IT'S NOT ENOUGH!!!!!:mad:

Deacon_Tyler
Sep 23rd, 2012, 07:20 PM
I'm on my second go around and loving every minute. I'll be honest when I say that at the very beginning, I was using the show as background noise, but got hooked by the second chapter and I'm coming across all these "ooooh I missed that" parts. My addiction got so bad that I'd put headphones under my pillow and listen to the story as I was going to sleep (which resulted in a few near sleepless nights), but as I was nodding, I missed quite a bit that I'm looking forward to enjoying.

Amazing, amazing story. Only World War Z compares in my opinion and even then, the WA characters are just so much more enjoyable!

neonassassin
Sep 24th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I love the show but I am so fed up with the show lasting such a short time and only ever being available one week then not for 2 weeks etc. I wish we could just buy the entire season 3. This waiting and waiting is killing it for me and my friends.

nikvoodoo
Sep 24th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I love the show but I am so fed up with the show lasting such a short time and only ever being available one week then not for 2 weeks etc. I wish we could just buy the entire season 3. This waiting and waiting is killing it for me and my friends.

You should listen to WND....those assholes never come out with episodes on time.

Honestly, this is the schedule. This is what it always has been. I don't know when you started listening (if it was July this year or that's just when you got into the forum), but it always sucks when you catch up.

Robzombie
Sep 24th, 2012, 03:05 PM
My addiction got so bad that I'd put headphones under my pillow and listen to the story as I was going to sleep (which resulted in a few near sleepless nights)

LOL, that is exactly what I still do to this very day, and I've been listening since about chapter 6 and have gone through the whole story soooo many times.

You should listen to WND....those assholes never come out with episodes on time.

Yeah and they hate Canadians too...they never mention us do they, yup...always ignored....:squint:

nikvoodoo
Sep 24th, 2012, 06:57 PM
LOL, that is exactly what I still do to this very day, and I've been listening since about chapter 6 and have gone through the whole story soooo many times.

Yeah and they hate Canadians too...they never mention us do they, yup...always ignored....:squint:

Pffft. Totally untrue. We mention pikey paw often! I don't remember now, but I think you were mentioned this past episode.

Robzombie
Sep 24th, 2012, 07:59 PM
WOO-HOO! :yay:
....unless you just spent the time calling me a dumbass, actually yeah anyways!

nikvoodoo
Sep 24th, 2012, 11:35 PM
WOO-HOO! :yay:
....unless you just spent the time calling me a dumbass, actually yeah anyways!
Nah. No dumbass calling from me. :)

mem
Sep 25th, 2012, 12:50 PM

For a few of the last chapters i wait until i have all three parts and then listen to it all at once. One of my unwritten rules is that i never listen to new WA episodes unless Mrs mem is there to listen with me. She riots and throws things when a episode is only 13 minutes so it has helped to keep things from getting broken by doing this. Certain chapters build to larger plots and don't immediately reveal all that is ear candy happiness until this takes place. This is one of the ways I keep from getting bored with a much larger story line in a chapter.

REZombie
Feb 25th, 2013, 04:12 PM
I listened to all 36 chapters in a week, and didn't get bored a single time... Matter of fact i'm about half way through a second time. Its very well written, the acting is great, and honestly its pretty much the the best zombie entertainment i have seen/heard/read.