PDA

View Full Version : We're Not Dead #38

nikvoodoo
May 28th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Got something for us for this week's episode? post it here!

AdrianHD
May 28th, 2012, 11:49 AM
What do you guys think of the impending love triangle between Saul, Lizzie, and CJ?

Nate Eeez
May 28th, 2012, 01:03 PM
The significance of the numbers. Either the zombies are tracking themselves or the "little ones" were part of an experiment. Though, I'm not sure how the "experiment" could tie into the other zombie hot spots around the world. But numbers placed on anything or anyone is for keeping track. So who or what is keeping track of the "little ones"? Or should we call them "the growing ones"?

ferroaj
May 28th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Since season 2, I've thought that the zombies were militarizing. The tattooed man at the arena or the man in the pinstripe suit seem to be playing leadership roles, rallying the rest of the "zombies" around them, creating units. Aside from the special ones, even the regular zombies have different duties. Some collect bodies, some collect live tributes to the tattooed man, and now it seems like there aren't any lone zombies like the ones who held Bert in the bathroom...

With that said, I'm leaning toward the "little ones" being selectively bred by one of the leader zombies to act as a general of their armies. They're rare and important enough to number so they're probably the most valuable forces the zombies have. With that said, this opens up a whole new can of worms: As of now, I think we unanimously assumed all the special ones occurred out of the hotspots (ground zero, i.e.). I assumed Behemoths somehow were turned and metamorphosed almost immediately, same for jumpers, fast ones, etc. These little ones seem to imply that at least one of the zombie leaders knew HOW to create these things and WHAT would happen, developmentally, once they were created.

So maybe the tattooed man or the man in the pinstripe suit had something to do with the outbreak in the first place and knew how to harness the effects of ground zero or whatever biological phenomenon is happening there? As Bert said "the smarter you were in life, the smarter you are in death..."

What do you guys think?

GeneTwo
May 28th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Before the apocalypse, the hospital in LA should have nursery with dozens of babies. There are also a lot of drugs around like steroids or human growth hormones that could be mixed with zombie blood to make an infected cocktail for the babies to drink.

ICEMAN TRAVIS
May 28th, 2012, 09:24 PM
What I am curious about is two things, one being why was the military group sent in creating maps of LA, were they making plans for a future invasion of LA, or are they looking for possible big supply cashes where they can make plans for simultaneous pick up (probably less likely). Also given Michaels little input on unclear stories, and the fact that Saul picked up the fallen soldiers bag, could it be possible that Michael has put in the same record keeping polices of the tower into the "in the field" units. Saul could find the record book and notice how similar it is to his, or find an entry in the beginning on how "there's this new uptight asshole named cross that is forcing us to write reports like the damn officers do". This might also explain why Saul would be writing again in his journal, it could be he found out Michael was still alive and felt he had to start writing again. Just some food for thought.

Red Shirt
May 28th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Not that I enjoy blowing my own horn, but for your consideration:

Pantex? (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3255-Pantex-The-Place-Where-Kimmet-Was)
The origin/meaning of Ink's tattoos. (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3310-quot-Ink-quot-the-origin-and-meaning-of-his-tattoos)
Clearing the roads? (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3253-Road-Clearence-Are-they-ever-going-to-do-anything-about-it)
Secret society angle of "The Family(s)." (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3226-Chapter-29-Beyond-Our-Walls-Part-3&p=40158#post40158) More HERE (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3226-Chapter-29-Beyond-Our-Walls-Part-3&p=40200#post40200) and HERE (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3226-Chapter-29-Beyond-Our-Walls-Part-3&p=40639#post40639)
Reasons for recon in LA (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3227-We-re-Not-Dead-37&p=41099#post41099).

Cabbage Patch
May 29th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Victor and Saul probably have the recon team's satellite phone. The one named Fowler had it, and he was the one that was killed. We need a scene where Saul hits redial on the phone and Michael picks up.

As for the "thing that changes everything", my money is on there being some sort of innoculation being available based on research done on Tanya. They can get their first live test on the female recon Captain.

Update:

I am relistening to the episode now and I just wanted to touch on the thought some had about Saul using the new phone to contact Michael. Didn't he open up by saying something along the lines of 'I'm still looking for any sign of Michael and the others' then follow that with, 'let me go back to november just before it got crazy'?

This would tell me that he will not get ahold of Michael this chapter.

Good catch! So we know that at the time of Saul's journal entry, some time in December, that he still hasn't had contact with Michael. The problem is that we don't know when in December that Saul made the journal entry. The incident with the recon team seems to have taken place on the evening of December 3/4.

It's possible that Saul is writing as early as the next day, and doesn't even know he has the Sat Phone yet. Or that he's talkied to the operator at Fort Irwin, but they aren't willing to trust him enough to give him details yet.

There are certainly plenty of scenarios under which Saul can never use the Sat Phone to contact Michael. It could be damaged. The number for Fort Irwin could be lost. The number for the phone could have been locked out of the system when it was reported lost. My favorite scenario has Saul dialing the right number, getting the operator, but when he can't give the counter-sign they hang up on him and never answer his calls again.

honeyace427
May 29th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Two interesting parallels at the beginning of this episode:

1) The TV show and Saul, Victor, and CJ's current living situation. The show's characters are stuck on an island, and these survivors are stuck in their hideout in LA.
• I think it is interesting that even during the zombie apocalypse, people would still be chattin' about TV shows. It's such a normal thing for the characters to do, while in such an abnormal reality.

2) Victor and the chicken: During his conversation with Saul, Victor expresses a longing for an open field and freedom, being caged in by the zombies; then the next second, forces the chicken back into its cage.

GeneTwo
May 29th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Cool points honeyace427, welcome to the forum, your tinfoil and red ball of string are in the mail.

Cabbage Patch
May 29th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Two interesting parallels at the beginning of this episode:

1) The TV show and Saul, Victor, and CJ's current living situation. The show's characters are stuck on an island, and these survivors are stuck in their hideout in LA.

I like the idea that this episode might have been an homage to LOST. We know from a number of interviews that KC was a big fan, but he didn't like how it ended.

Here's what I caught:

1. The obvious reference to FOUND, another series that was filmed in Hawaii. I love the idea of Victor and Saul finding the LA production offices in order to figure out how it was supposed to end. I can't help imagining them breaking into the LOST writers' room, and finding it full of zombified writers still at work trying to tie up all the plot lines.

2. LOST had white rabbits with numbers stenciled on them. We're Alive has pale zombies with numbers tattooed on them.

3. LOST had a smoke monster. WA has a mysterious haze rising out of the ground in Inglewood, and an unexplained layer of smog over a city that hasn't seen a traffic jam in six months.

4. The first visitors to both the LOST Island and zombie-occupied LA arrived by helicopter, and each visit resulted in the characters acquiring a satellite phone.

Teej
May 29th, 2012, 08:37 PM
With our own little zombie uprising going on, I sure hope that WA doesn't end up like "FOUND", unfinished due to apocalypse, because I agree with saul, that would drive me nuts, and my one mission would be to locate KC's scripy judt to know what happens

honeyace427
May 29th, 2012, 10:33 PM
C.P.: Love all of these connections!

Another thought: With their ability to watch TV, does anyone think they would watch any zombie flicks? (Sorry if asked before.)
Cons - it's a little too close to home. Like after your pet dies, you're not going to watch Old Yeller.
Pros - maybe pick up some tips?

Red Shirt
May 29th, 2012, 10:55 PM
C.P.: Love all of these connections!

Another thought: With their ability to watch TV, does anyone think they would watch any zombie flicks? (Sorry if asked before.)
Cons - it's a little too close to home. Like after your pet dies, you're not going to watch Old Yeller.
Pros - maybe pick up some tips?

I think that something like that would be as boring as poorly done reality TV.

On the other hand, it could be fun counting all the mistakes they make. No, don't split up, go into the basement... NO! don't check to see if it's dead!

MenashaCorpse
May 30th, 2012, 07:21 AM
No, don't split up, go into the basement... NO! don't check to see if it's dead!

"It's a trick. Get an axe." lol

CaseyJones
May 30th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Maybe someone's already brought this up.
I thought Britt was about to cover it when she mentioned '28 Weeks Later', but she just said it would be cool if Tanya was found 'turned' and banging her head against the window.
The girl in '28 Weeks Later' never actually turned, but was a carrier. What if Tanya is too?
What if there is something in Tanya's blood that makes her immune to the effects, but still infected by the bite she received? If she bit someone now, would they turn?
Also, if it's in her blood, then it's in Saul's too. He appeared immune to the Inglewood Effect. (Oooo, did I just coin that phrase?) Maybe the I.V. was just a red herring and had nothing to do with it. Maybe it has more to do with his blood.
Taking an even greater leap, maybe their blood could hold the secret to a cure.

Great show, by the way, but I couldn't help laughing when I miss-heard the opening theme. Right after the line 'A podcast about a story of survival', I could have sworn I heard 'Quack quack quack quack quack!', like a psychotic duck.
Keep it up guys. Love listening to you.

Casey (the other one)

Lukas A.
May 30th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Going off of what ferroaj said, about zombies having different duties, it sounds to me very similar to an ant colony. Ants have many roles such as workers, soldiers, even ants that TAKE DEAD ANT BODIES TO A CENTRAL DUMP.
P.s. There is a fungi that takes control of some ants minds to spread itself. Its called Ophiocordyceps unilateralis...food for thought.
update: just remembered how Saul and angel and Michael said something similar all the way back in the monitor room

Nate Eeez
May 30th, 2012, 06:09 PM
(P.s. There is a fungi that takes control of some ants minds to spread itself. Its called Ophiocordyceps unilateralis...food for thought.) - Lucas A.

I heard about that fungus on another podcast called All in the Mind. Goes to show these things can occur naturally. No need for human error or meddling.

Litmaster
May 30th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Not that I enjoy blowing my own horn, but for your consideration:

Pantex? (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3255-Pantex-The-Place-Where-Kimmet-Was)
The origin/meaning of Ink's tattoos. (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3310-quot-Ink-quot-the-origin-and-meaning-of-his-tattoos)
Clearing the roads? (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3253-Road-Clearence-Are-they-ever-going-to-do-anything-about-it)
Secret society angle of "The Family(s)." (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3226-Chapter-29-Beyond-Our-Walls-Part-3&p=40158#post40158) More HERE (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3226-Chapter-29-Beyond-Our-Walls-Part-3&p=40200#post40200) and HERE (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3226-Chapter-29-Beyond-Our-Walls-Part-3&p=40639#post40639)
Reasons for recon in LA (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3227-We-re-Not-Dead-37&p=41099#post41099).

Red Shirt, you're the shit!!!

Hey Nick, what to you think the over / under is of Burt making out of the Maller camp Alive? I'd put his chances at 20%.

Red Shirt
May 30th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Red Shirt, you're the shit!!!.

*bows*

P.s. There is a fungi that takes control of some ants minds to spread itself. Its called Ophiocordyceps unilateralis...food for thought.

You forgot the really freaky part of that fungus infection. Once it really takes hold in the ant's brain, the effect has been referred to by scientists as "Zombification." The changes in the ant's mind compel it to climb the tallest blade of grass... where its head then explodes, spreading the spore.

Then there's the Jewel Wasp (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/12/071206-roach-zombie.html) which Zombifies prey for it's young.

7oddisdead
May 31st, 2012, 02:22 AM
I'll invite any of you discussing the whole zombie ants thing or any ant behavior in general when put in the context of the zombies from w/a to take a look into the crackpot thread. Ive compiled a fair little collection of interesting links there for all things related to that... :)

Another lost reference would be the fact that the two head writers of the show always joked that the seventh season would have been the "zombie season" (the show ended at six).

Reasons for recon to la? How about this action?
Michael has first hand knowledge of the "nest" at the arena and the new one beginning at the hospital...lets say a couple of other recon teams have found evidence of the same in other cities. Now while we are being lead to think of pantex in terms of nukes at this moment...could we not be thinking bigger than we should? Say a recon team goes into a mayor area...scouts out the location of the nest or hive..or whatever. Marks it on a map...and boom...bombs are dropped..just like what's being done overseas..taking out large clusters of the enemy from a distance. I'm not one of the military guys on here, so let them figure out the details of how that would work...but it seems likely to me and my fuzzy logic

Shouldersmalone
May 31st, 2012, 05:57 AM
I think were missing something important from this episode ! michael says this is the point that everything goes to shit this must mean trouble at Fort Irwin and this points to the encounter with the soldiers and the numbered zombie. Whilst it was said teh captain only had a crush injury there is obviously something more to this and considering the quarantine procedures at Fort irwin it must be something that is hidden like teh virus lying dormant

nikvoodoo
May 31st, 2012, 03:34 PM
Sad news my children of the corn: Life happened again in spades and we have to postpone this week's episode until a later time. I will try to get this recorded this weekend. Our apologies, but there was no avoiding this.

CaseyJones
May 31st, 2012, 04:13 PM
Sad news my children of the corn: Life happened again in spades and we have to postpone this week's episode until a later time. I will try to get this recorded this weekend. Our apologies, but there was no avoiding this.
No worries.
I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Osiris
May 31st, 2012, 04:18 PM
http://webtrax.hu/myfacewhen/faces/lineart-memes/fuck-this-shit-table-flip.jpg

Lukas A.
May 31st, 2012, 05:02 PM
Its alright, next WA episode isn't coming out next week anyways...

Cabbage Patch
Jun 7th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Do we have an ETA for WND?

nikvoodoo
Jun 7th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Do we have an ETA for WND?
10 minutes past NEVER!

Recording tomorrow. It'll be released sometime after that.

Cabbage Patch
Jun 7th, 2012, 10:10 AM
10 minutes past NEVER!

Recording tomorrow. It'll be released sometime after that.

Cool! Thanks.

nikvoodoo
Jun 8th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Episode recorded. Pulled nearly exclusively from this thread this week so thank you very much for your contributions! Come back Monday for the WND #39 thread for new thoughts and theories on 30-2!

Lukas A.
Jun 12th, 2012, 10:01 PM
To those who think the ant thing is a crackpot,
I did not mean that the ant fungi was the literal reason for the zombies, only meant to give an example of it happening today, and to give similarities between ants and the theory of militarizing zombies for future and related theories
I'm no crackpot

7oddisdead
Jun 12th, 2012, 11:04 PM
To those who think the ant thing is a crackpot,
I did not mean that the ant fungi was the literal reason for the zombies, only meant to give an example of it happening today, and to give similarities between ants and the theory of militarizing zombies for future and related theories
I'm no crackpot

A: whats wrong with being a crackpot?
B:thats just where all my ant similarities are...and none of them have to do with the ant fungus.
C: apologies if it came across that way(implying your ideas were crackpot in nature, clearly your not)

good day.

Red Shirt
Jun 13th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Wow, I'm tickled that some of my ideas got brought up in discussion on the show. Thanks!
I'm thoroughly blown out of the water that there is some confirmed merit to them. Looks like I have more work to do...