PDA

View Full Version : The Little Ones. Why are they little & different from the other infected?

Paul Arias
May 3rd, 2012, 09:56 PM
This is my theory on why the "Little Ones" are little and different from the rest of the infected. I thought of this from the chapter where Lizzy is with the Mallers when they are ambushed in a tramp set by the zombies. After Tardust gets in the truck a Little One reaches in to grab him and get in. Bricks tears the arm off the Little One and drives with the rest of the convoy escaping the ambush zone. After reaching a safe distance the mallers group up outside the vehicles and Bricks is still carrying the Little One's severed arm. When everybody looks at it Tardust says it doesnt even look like it was ever human.

My theory is that the Little Ones are infected babies. I think that they could even be babies that were still in the womb unborn perhaps. I think that the virus would be in a more pure form in babies since they are still developing and therefore lead to the difference in their appearance compared to the common infected.
I thought of this after watching the second Alien vs Predator movie (which sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!) after watching the seen where the hybrid alien walks through the maternity ward and you see the babies in that room with the little cribs. Figure the hospital plays a big part in this obviously, especially after Riley and Kalani see him there while trying to make their way to the generators.

Osiris
May 3rd, 2012, 10:06 PM
This is my theory on why the "Little Ones" are little and different from the rest of the infected. I thought of this from the chapter where Lizzy is with the Mallers when they are ambushed in a tramp set by the zombies. After Tardust gets in the truck a Little One reaches in to grab him and get in. Bricks tears the arm off the Little One and drives with the rest of the convoy escaping the ambush zone. After reaching a safe distance the mallers group up outside the vehicles and Bricks is still carrying the Little One's severed arm. When everybody looks at it Tardust says it doesnt even look like it was ever human.

My theory is that the Little Ones are infected babies. I think that they could even be babies that were still in the womb unborn perhaps. I think that the virus would be in a more pure form in babies since they are still developing and therefore lead to the difference in their appearance compared to the common infected.
I thought of this after watching the second Alien vs Predator movie (which sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!) after watching the seen where the hybrid alien walks through the maternity ward and you see the babies in that room with the little cribs. Figure the hospital plays a big part in this obviously, especially after Riley and Kalani see him there while trying to make their way to the generators.

First, let me say: Welcome to the forums! Enjoy your stay and feel free to drop into the Introduce Yourself section and tell us a little about yourself! :D

On to your theory. It's definitely and interesting way of looking at them. I would be less inclined to lean to the Little Ones being children infected within the womb based of two things:

The timeline of events doesn't feel like it would support infection, birth and then the rapid growth to a stage where it would have the dexterity to do that which it does.
It's simply a horrific notion.

I would be inclined to believe that the Hospital does play a larger role in the development of the creatures, but that they are likely the result of experimentation of more developed children aged 10 to 15.

But that's a pretty entertaining theory. Even if it is a little depraved. :D

A- for effort.

Paul Arias
May 3rd, 2012, 10:25 PM
Guess the thought of children from the womb was a stretch but was thinking when the virus would be in purest state. Think experimentation is key as well with the numbers on some seen so far. Thanks for being 1st reply :) & for constructive critique of theory.

Osiris
May 4th, 2012, 12:37 AM
It isn't out of the realm of possibilities, however. Since we know so little about the infection or virus, it is impossible to speculate on the effects it may have on an embryo. It would be interesting to see how it would be affected by amniotic fluids and the connection between mother and child, though I would not lean toward it being in a pure state, quite the opposite. It would be attacked by the mother's cells with far more aggression in order to preserve the child--bear in mind that I'm not a doctor and that is pure speculation on my part. I'm sure that Yarri would be able to elaborate on the relationship between a mother's experience and how it affects an unborn child as well as the nature of the connected immune systems, her being our resident nurse/medical expert--a term I use loosely, but with relative confidence.

However, given that the Behemoth exists, anything and everything remains a possibility. It is simply too terrible a notion for me to indulge in.

reaper239
May 4th, 2012, 06:11 AM
you know, i have often wondered about children in the ZA. we never see that dealt with, for obvious reasons, but it has always bothered me.

yarri
May 4th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Could the small ones be the unborn?
The physical and mental changes the virus invokes in a human body can be tremendous as evidence by the jumpers, big ones, fast ones....etc this would lead me to believe that a fetus, embryo or zygote (any name for the states of development of a new human in utero) would be spontaneously aborted in the system shock of the mother when the virus overwhelms her. So no I do not believe that these small ones are the unborn

Could the small ones be newborn babies or babies?
It has been seen in my clinical practice when dealing with babies is that they are physically fragile. Their body systems are grossly immature and subject to failure within hours from things like infection. An infant can dehydrate to kidney failure in 2 to 5 hours without immediate attention. As above I do not believe these small ones are babies

Could the small ones be children?

Yes I have always since their first introduction believed that these are children approximately age 5 to 10 They would be immature enough to allow tinker without the hormonal changes from puberty that may or may not interfere with the virus and its coded outcome.

(Kc... you are a naughty naughty man to encourage my brain to think these things and I love you for it!)

Osiris
May 4th, 2012, 01:07 PM
But, if the zombies in the story actually turn out to be the dead.... would it make a difference if the new borns made it or not? Unless we're not talking about re-animated corpses... then I'm fresh out of ideas for this one.

yarri
May 4th, 2012, 01:31 PM
But, if the zombies in the story actually turn out to be the dead.... would it make a difference if the new borns made it or not? Unless we're not talking about re-animated corpses... then I'm fresh out of ideas for this one.

Dead things don't make breath in the cold air, dead things don't sleep, dead things don't bleed or heal.. I do not think these things are dead darlin..

Osiris
May 4th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Living things don't breath water.

yarri
May 4th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Living things don't breath water.

Fish do..and they are alive.
Sea mammals are able to hold their breath for long long periods of time. They (water zeds) could have expanded lung abilities...

Osiris
May 4th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Fish do..and they are alive.
Sea mammals are able to hold their breath for long long periods of time. They (water zeds) could have expanded lung abilities...

We're not talking about fish, obviously, or sea mammals. Incidentally, which ones breathed 'breath'? Which ones bled and healed? Which ones slept? I'd like time codes for those references. Not because I disbelieve you, just that I'm curious to hear the context surrounding the information. It's questionable to think that the 'water zeds' expanded their lung ability simply because they were immersed in water.

yarri
May 4th, 2012, 01:45 PM
We're not talking about fish, obviously, or sea mammals. Incidentally, which ones breathed 'breath'? Which ones bled and healed? Which ones slept? I'd like time codes for those references. Not because I disbelieve you, just that I'm curious to hear the context surrounding the information. It's questionable to think that the 'water zeds' expanded their lung ability simply because they were immersed in water.

Give me a couple of days to run through the old pod casts. I'm happy to find them.

I never said that part.. just that they could. We've seen evidence that they are "designed" for different purposes. The jumpers, the fast ones, big ones, smart ones, little ones logic would dictate one that could hide in water would or could happen.

Osiris
May 4th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Give me a couple of days to run through the old pod casts. I'm happy to find them.

I never said that part.. just that they could. We've seen evidence that they are "designed" for different purposes. The jumpers, the fast ones, big ones, smart ones, little ones logic would dictate one that could hide in water would or could happen.

Perhaps design in the 'later models', but those that attacked the boat were half starved and utterly ruined, which would imply that they had travelled a great distance OR been underwater for a good long time. It seems unlikely that aberration as random as that would appear. It's simply too random.

yarri
May 4th, 2012, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=Osiris;39315]Perhaps design in the 'later models', but those that attacked the boat were half starved and utterly ruined, which would imply that they had travelled a great distance OR been underwater for a good long time. It seems unlikely that aberration as random as that would appear. It's simply too random. [QUOTE]

We've seen that the little ones were designed that part was made clear. Wouldn't it follow along the same idea to think of the others as being designed as well. like a car some designs work better then others. Humans without a different type of skin would not do well underwater. Maybe these water types are flawed.

Osiris
May 4th, 2012, 02:01 PM
It makes no sense when you consider that the aberrations have been localized to one area. Meaning that the genetic mutations seem to come from the same 'lab'. It has been touched upon before that Ink was opportunistic and began experimenting on captured Zeds--or at least ones that had been contained prior to infection. It seems less likely that he would waste time and resources trying to create a Zed that can breath underwater than it would he spend time creating something that can move with speed and agility, clear distances efficiently, and use sheer size to wreak havoc.

The move to venture out into the ocean simply doesn't make sense. From what Kalani said, the same thing was happening in Hawaii (which we know to be true, based on his journal). Consider that groups farther out of town had not seen any of these 'new' zombies.

yarri
May 4th, 2012, 02:11 PM
It makes no sense when you consider that the aberrations have been localized to one area. Meaning that the genetic mutations seem to come from the same 'lab'. It has been touched upon before that Ink was opportunistic and began experimenting on captured Zeds--or at least ones that had been contained prior to infection. It seems less likely that he would waste time and resources trying to create a Zed that can breath underwater than it would he spend time creating something that can move with speed and agility, clear distances efficiently, and use sheer size to wreak havoc.
The move to venture out into the ocean simply doesn't make sense. From what Kalani said, the same thing was happening in Hawaii (which we know to be true, based on his journal). Consider that groups farther out of town had not seen any of these 'new' zombies.

My own personal theory is Mr Pinstripes was part of a government experiment. History is full of it and not just Dr Josef Mengele but actual detailed history of the poor, indigent, insane (mr stripes) women etc being used as lab rats. I do not think that all the funky new types are Ink's doing. I think the small one are his. But the others were done by someone or someones else.

Osiris
May 4th, 2012, 02:26 PM
My own personal theory is Mr Pinstripes was part of a government experiment. History is full of it and not just Dr Josef Mengele but actual detailed history of the poor, indigent, insane (mr stripes) women etc being used as lab rats. I do not think that all the funky new types are Ink's doing. I think the small one are his. But the others were done by someone or someones else.

Perhaps, still seems to be far too random a trait to appear. It has no use beyond being under water. There seem to be no strengths to draw upon other than that. Michael's description of them, the location, the fact that no other abnormal ones seem to appear outside of the Hot Zone lead me down the road that there are some dead that are walking and some mutated that are potentially still alive.

yarri
May 4th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Its not random I think its as deliberate as the jumpers and the fast ones. Ok now I have to get my tinfoil hat on. Look at the whole group of zombies as an army.... normal = infantry the most common the most active fighter, smart ones are the leaders they direct, control and communicate, Ink = the general, big ones are the tanks slow, powerful, fast ones could be fast attack assault vehicles. See where I'm going with this.

GeneTwo
May 5th, 2012, 12:17 AM
I dont think that the Little Ones are kid zombies.

The Kane Medical Institute which was Ink's workshop, where some think he was tattooing the little ones, is located inside the hospital. Kalani and Riley mentioned seeing bloody drag marks all over the area.

Do you suppose that Ink has some way to figure out which person changes into the different kinds of zombies ie. runners, jumpers, behemoths, and smart ones? Then he has those people captured and brought to him so he can change them.

Or better yet mixes different kinds of drugs or pathogens with zombie blood (they are in a hospital) to create different zombies. Steroids for behemoths, human growth hormone for fast ones, that kind of thing.

yarri
May 5th, 2012, 06:11 AM
I dont think that the Little Ones are kid zombies.

The Kane Medical Institute which was Ink's workshop, where some think he was tattooing the little ones, is located inside the hospital. Kalani and Riley mentioned seeing bloody drag marks all over the area.

Do you suppose that Ink has some way to figure out which person changes into the different kinds of zombies ie. runners, jumpers, behemoths, and smart ones? Then he has those people captured and brought to him so he can change them.

Or better yet mixes different kinds of drugs or pathogens with zombie blood (they are in a hospital) to create different zombies. Steroids for behemoths, human growth hormone for fast ones, that kind of thing.

If they aren't children then what are they? They are the smallest of all the zombies seen maybe 3 or 3.5 feet tall. To take a fully grown adult human body and force it down to that size doesn't seem provable. It would be easier to make something bigger.

Osiris
May 5th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Its not random I think its as deliberate as the jumpers and the fast ones. Ok now I have to get my tinfoil hat on. Look at the whole group of zombies as an army.... normal = infantry the most common the most active fighter, smart ones are the leaders they direct, control and communicate, Ink = the general, big ones are the tanks slow, powerful, fast ones could be fast attack assault vehicles. See where I'm going with this.

While that may be true, the fact is that they are outside of they were outside of the reach of the 'creator' of the special ones. You've got to take the tinfoil had off when you consider that, and substitute a plain, old straitjacket if you're going to continue along those lines.

yarri
May 5th, 2012, 07:39 AM
While that may be true, the fact is that they are outside of they were outside of the reach of the 'creator' of the special ones. You've got to take the tinfoil had off when you consider that, and substitute a plain, old straitjacket if you're going to continue along those lines.

Only if you apply the straitjacket for me will I take off my tin foil hat :D

Osiris
May 5th, 2012, 07:41 AM
That's a lot of work, and I just woke up.

GeneTwo
May 5th, 2012, 07:57 PM
What's the size comparison, other than folks calling them the little ones. "Little" has a suggestion of age, youth. But if your a person like me 5'5 little suggests height.

yarri
May 5th, 2012, 09:52 PM
What's the size comparison, other than folks calling them the little ones. "Little" has a suggestion of age, youth. But if your a person like me 5'5 little suggests height.

3 foot tallish

zedhead
May 9th, 2012, 12:37 PM
then what was with the psuedo torture room in the hospital?
the tatoo gun seems to point to the little ones, and the fact that their fingernails were so sharp, maybe not even fingernails considering they found torn out ones all over the place their <_<
i am thinking they were more...altered by the smart ones <_<

yarri
May 9th, 2012, 03:57 PM
then what was with the psuedo torture room in the hospital?
the tatoo gun seems to point to the little ones, and the fact that their fingernails were so sharp, maybe not even fingernails considering they found torn out ones all over the place their <_<
i am thinking they were more...altered by the smart ones <_<

It was a chamber of horrors or as I call it an exam room. I think Mr Stripes was putting the fine touches (pin stripes) on his tiny mutant flying monkeys in that room.

GeneTwo
May 9th, 2012, 10:19 PM
3 foot tallish

3 foot 24in.. ish

Osiris
May 9th, 2012, 10:23 PM
3 foot 24in.. ish

So... 5 foot? :hsugh:

yarri
May 9th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Less than 5 feet

Osiris
May 9th, 2012, 11:37 PM
For those about to measure:

12" = 1'

Therefore, 3' 24" would be 5'

trubkir
May 11th, 2012, 03:58 PM
This is a very good example of why the metric system is superior.

ClearSights
May 11th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I believe like some others here that the "Little Ones" are the zombies children. That they are reproduceing and these are their offspring. They will grow and become a zombie just like the others but for now they are just small.

This may be a stretch however due to so many questions being brought up. Like how would they reproduce, how would they get nurishment if there is so few anyways, how long does it take a zombie to have offspring?....

This is again a stretch but it is what I could see happening.

Osiris
May 11th, 2012, 05:24 PM
You know, I recently finished a book that dealt with just that topic: zombies having children. What a horrifying, yet somehow sweet idea. If we're jumping the 'they're alive' bandwagon, it would be possible for them to breed. I'm on the fence about their status with regard to living or dead. I'm more a WTFBBQ, kind of guy.

Eviebae
May 13th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I think they're alive. I don't know what the little one's will turn out to be--remember they "move funny" along with being tiny. I want a better description rather than they look like they were never human. Are they alien looking with huge eyes and long fingers?

As to changing into something bigger being easier; I've asked before, do the behemoths teeth change in size? How about their fingernails? Plus, are they all running around naked? Lacking the Hulks stretchy purple pants, the behemoths have to be.

We don't know if it's something about the person that makes them into one type versus another. Remember how the zombies they used ether on seemed to acclimate to it? It became less and less effective very quickly. If their zombie form is at least partly the result of some sort of environmental pressure it seems like running out of food on the island and trying to get at the fish in the water could could cause them to become zombie-marine mammals. If it's all the result of what the people are like before they turn; it could be they had some affinity for swimming. Surfer zombies anyone? Gnarly.

They did seem like they were starving to me too--but just because they looked like they were starving, doesn't mean they were. They could have been in the process of changing--becoming thinner and more streamlined.

Burnsville Kit
May 28th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Unsure what to classify these tattooed little ones. It is possible that these were in-eutero when their mothers' were infected. It could be possible that these were children when infected. I can't wait to find what KC's answer will be.

GeneTwo
May 28th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Unsure what to classify these tattooed little ones. It is possible that these were in-eutero when their mothers' were infected. It could be possible that these were children when infected. I can't wait to find what KC's answer will be.

Well the hospital was over run with infected. I would bet the hospital had a nursery with dozens of babies. I remember when Riley and Kalani found the tattoo room, there was a lot of drag blood marks on the ground. The collector zombies may have been feeding the baby zombies with dead bodies.

As for in-eutero zombies, I would think they would eat their way out. Gross.

fighter
May 28th, 2012, 10:13 PM
i think that they drag children who havent hit puberty and infect them or the crafty basterds made them,

Nate Eeez
May 29th, 2012, 06:41 AM
[QUOTE]We don't know if it's something about the person that makes them into one type versus another. Remember how the zombies they used ether on seemed to acclimate to it? It became less and less effective very quickly. If their zombie form is at least partly the result of some sort of environmental pressure it seems like running out of food on the island and trying to get at the fish in the water could could cause them to become zombie-marine mammals.[\QUOTE]

I like the theory of zombies acclimating to their environment. Perhaps this is part of the experiment they we part of. Thus, suggesting that the Zombies were once living people subjected to an ongoing experiment to test the human beings' capacity to survive an apocolyptic event, but something went wrong. All over the globe.

I can't think of all the particulars, but my basic theory here is someone was screwing around by trying to play God and they fucked up the world.

And as a side note: There should be more children zombies in zombie stories because if this shit really happened then more children would be zombies. They are weaker and more likely to be attacked and turned. Not a pretty thought. We saw two children zombies shot dead on TWD. Both killed by the same guy. That's gotta do a number on the human resiliency defense mechanism.

7oddisdead
May 30th, 2012, 12:35 AM
with recent events in chapter 30, we are seeing (or are being led to believe) that the little ones are growing..i for one dont buy it..some have speculated that perhaps this new little one, or teenager as im gonna call him could be something entirely new.. i'm really liking the idea of the '12" tatooed on the teenager not as a sign of how many "little ones" their are/were..but rather, test subject id tags...we really dont know for sure what all took place in the basement at the hospital, but i reckon it was a lot more than simply the tatoo's

hell, ill go one better..

ive not been in a tatoo shop for at least the last six months..but last time i checked...the main reason to have ink in a special vial...a glass vial..is a special blend of ink, a certain color to fit a certain piece...etc. Now, considering that

we are in a hospital..how crazy would it be for captain stripey-pants to mix each vial of ink with a certain concoction of drugs.."Just to see what happens" and what better way for him to keep track of what does happen than to deliver said concoction in the form of a clearly visable number?
makes sense to me, and im crazy....

Mikeyd2tall
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:26 AM
with recent events in chapter 30, we are seeing (or are being led to believe) that the little ones are growing..i for one dont buy it..some have speculated that perhaps this new little one, or teenager as im gonna call him could be something entirely new.. i'm really liking the idea of the '12" tatooed on the teenager not as a sign of how many "little ones" their are/were..but rather, test subject id tags...we really dont know for sure what all took place in the basement at the hospital, but i reckon it was a lot more than simply the tatoo's

hell, ill go one better..

ive not been in a tatoo shop for at least the last six months..but last time i checked...the main reason to have ink in a special vial...a glass vial..is a special blend of ink, a certain color to fit a certain piece...etc. Now, considering that

we are in a hospital..how crazy would it be for captain stripey-pants to mix each vial of ink with a certain concoction of drugs.."Just to see what happens" and what better way for him to keep track of what does happen than to deliver said concoction in the form of a clearly visable number?
makes sense to me, and im crazy....
Thats a pretty damn good idea!