PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed so far..

archangel
May 1st, 2012, 10:07 PM
First, let me start this off by saying that I absolutely love this podcast and I've been a fan from the beginning. Having said that though, I have to say that so far this season I've been disappointed. Maybe it's because I miss the old characters and STILL don't know this far into the season if any of my favorite missing characters made it or not.

Osiris
May 1st, 2012, 10:36 PM
It's part of building tension. It's also a part of life to when you think about those people who just vanish from your life and you never know what's happened to them. I agree with you for the most part though. I'd like some closure.

yoyoyoyo15
May 2nd, 2012, 07:34 AM
I would like both closure and action... Honestly we have seen a limited amount of zombies this season... I'm not even sure that we have seen any special ones... I'm not complaining and I'm sure it's building to a climax but it just seems like the podcast is slowing down... I mean the most action I can think of is the scuba tank clip... Don't get me wrong, mondays are now my favorite day, but i do agree with you guys

nikvoodoo
May 2nd, 2012, 07:39 AM
I would like both closure and action... Honestly we have seen a limited amount of zombies this season... I'm not even sure that we have seen any special ones... I'm not complaining and I'm sure it's building to a climax but it just seems like the podcast is slowing down... I mean the most action I can think of is the scuba tank clip... Don't get me wrong, mondays are now my favorite day, but i do agree with you guys

Sure we did when we relived the attack on the other tower. We got interaction and new insight into the depths of intelligence and planning of TOWTM. Sure it happened as a flashback, but it was new to us.

mem
May 2nd, 2012, 08:12 AM
Sadly things can't stay the same. If it did others would be on here saying the plotline had gone stale. Can't please 'em all.
I wasnt happy with Walking Dead this season until later episodes began to reveal things and show why the buildup was so slow.

yarri
May 2nd, 2012, 08:16 AM
Sadly things can't stay the same. If it did others would be on here saying the plotline had gone stale. Can't please 'em all.
I wasnt happy with Walking Dead this season until later episodes began to reveal things and show why the buildup was so slow.

Nor can I say it either, Kc has never done anything with this story that wasn't explained at some time in his own time to do it. I'm happy to wait to find out what happened to Angel and Burt I'm happy with the pace as well.

megamanxzero35
May 18th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Our dear friend Michael Swan says it at the start of every episode. "We're Alive: A Story of Survival." Does it seem like the survival part has been waning this season?

Michael and company got to Fort Irwin and it was still up and running and according to them, the only military base left. Now we find out there is 150k people at Boulder, Colorado just living in a Safe Zone. Survival doesn't seem as much of a struggle for the majority of our group anymore. Granted this can change incredibly fast, I remember reading last year how everyone, myself included, thought that the rest of Season 2 would finish out with Michael, Pegs and Kelly trying to figure out how to escape the Colony. Then all in one episode, they broke out and drove all the way back home to the Tower.

But for me, so much of what I loved about We're Alive is seeing how our characters struggled to survive in LA and them trying to find out more about the zombies. Now 3 characters are at Ft. Irwin with no signs of leaving soon and plenty of food and ammo and 4 characters are going to be living in Boulder, almost 900 miles away. The part of the story I care much more about is Saul and Victor because they are still in LA trying to survive and learning more about the zombies.

Anyone else feeling this way?

nikvoodoo
May 18th, 2012, 04:18 PM
There are two other threads about this particular topic. I'm going to merge this with one of them now. Please look around before you post new threads. The thread I'm merging this with was 6 posts below.

Osiris
May 18th, 2012, 04:31 PM
There are a lot of events that seem to be sped up, glossed over, or totally dismissed out of hand, but it all seems to pull together in the end. If I was to sit down and keep a journal--much like the one that I currently keep--it would be filled with 'plot holes' and stuff that is mentioned so briefly that it seems to have no relevance at all to anything else, yet they are still important events. It's just the nature of the format, I suppose. Nobody keeps journals so accurate that they read like novels. That shit just don't happen, son.

I see your point though, and I agree with you, somewhat. There are things I wish were dealt with in more detail, but it's all working out really well, in my humbled opinion--which is worth about as much as a seven dollar bill. Just try and you know... lay back... enjoy the ride for what it is. A great, free story that is still entertaining, even at it's most boring moments.

megamanxzero35
May 18th, 2012, 08:26 PM
There are two other threads about this particular topic. I'm going to merge this with one of them now. Please look around before you post new threads. The thread I'm merging this with was 6 posts below.

I felt they were different enough to warrant different threads. This topic was talking about characters, I was talking about the direction the show is taking.

Osiris
May 18th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I argued with Nik once... once.

riskbreaker23
May 18th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I don't want this to come off as dick-ish. Maybe I'm having a nikvoodoo moment but here goes.

I hate these "I'm disappointed" threads. I respect you have those feelings, and it's okay to express them. But I can't understand why ANYONE would be "disappointed". The show's quality has not dropped. Maybe the direction of the story is not what you expected, but regardless the quality HAS NOT DROPPED. There is NO other show like We're Alive. I know. I've looked. Because of that fact, I can NEVER be disappointed in this show. Even at its lowest, most boring moments (which this season has been anything but. In comparison, Season 2 at the beginning was much slower), I can never fault this show. It's Free, I enjoy it at the expense of others free time. The acting, direction, etc... is still amazing.

Until you can give me a show that has the same amount of quality direction, acting, writing, music, etc... We're Alive remains the best podcast you'll ever listen to. Regardless of if it's slow right now or not.

And quite frankly I'm shocked you're even complaining. The amount of story that KC is giving away right now is a breath of fresh air. Season 2 hardly revealed anything. Season 3 is now starting to answer our most critical questions.

Witch_Doctor
May 18th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I argued with Nik once... once.

Careful, that's Dangerously :D.

Osiris
May 18th, 2012, 09:09 PM
ruh-roh.

Osiris
May 18th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Careful, that's :D.

True story, man. I didn't see daylight for 28 days.

nikvoodoo
May 19th, 2012, 05:14 AM
I felt they were different enough to warrant different threads. This topic was talking about characters, I was talking about the direction the show is taking.

Same church, different pew.

Both are talking about the general dislike for the way the season is panning out. You're both citing different examples though.

reaper239
May 21st, 2012, 01:10 PM
I don't want this to come off as dick-ish. Maybe I'm having a nikvoodoo moment but here goes.

I hate these "I'm disappointed" threads. I respect you have those feelings, and it's okay to express them. But I can't understand why ANYONE would be "disappointed". The show's quality has not dropped. Maybe the direction of the story is not what you expected, but regardless the quality HAS NOT DROPPED. There is NO other show like We're Alive. I know. I've looked. Because of that fact, I can NEVER be disappointed in this show. Even at its lowest, most boring moments (which this season has been anything but. In comparison, Season 2 at the beginning was much slower), I can never fault this show. It's Free, I enjoy it at the expense of others free time. The acting, direction, etc... is still amazing.

Until you can give me a show that has the same amount of quality direction, acting, writing, music, etc... We're Alive remains the best podcast you'll ever listen to. Regardless of if it's slow right now or not.

And quite frankly I'm shocked you're even complaining. The amount of story that KC is giving away right now is a breath of fresh air. Season 2 hardly revealed anything. Season 3 is now starting to answer our most critical questions.

well, i don't think anyone was saying the quality dropped. the general concensus here (in this particular thread) is that there is something in the writing of the show, or just the way the story is playing out that is not quite what they fell in love with in the begining. now that may be somewhat true i guess (every episode can't be a pulse pounding thriller, and the writing of every episode will not be the same across the board, that's just human nature) though i disagree. i think the show is off in a new direction that, any time now, will come full circle and the gang will be a it again. though new characters now, since the original crew has pretty much reached the end of their personal development arcs, for the most part.

ClearSights
May 21st, 2012, 02:36 PM
I'm with others as in it's just life. There are ups and downs and this podcast is just going along like normal life. In life you don't always get a reason for why things changed or ended, they just did and you need to move on. (That bitch of a ex-girlfriend...)

riskbreaker23
May 24th, 2012, 11:07 PM
well, i don't think anyone was saying the quality dropped. the general concensus here (in this particular thread) is that there is something in the writing of the show, or just the way the story is playing out that is not quite what they fell in love with in the begining. now that may be somewhat true i guess (every episode can't be a pulse pounding thriller, and the writing of every episode will not be the same across the board, that's just human nature) though i disagree. i think the show is off in a new direction that, any time now, will come full circle and the gang will be a it again. though new characters now, since the original crew has pretty much reached the end of their personal development arcs, for the most part.

I hear ya, and that's a good explanation of maybe what the OP is talking about. However, I'm still incredulous. We've been BEGGING for more information since Season 1 (those of us that started with Season 1). The community has done nothing but grow since Season 1 and now everyone is BEGGING for more information in Season 2, which KC played even closer to the chest than Season 1. However, NOW we are getting delicious morsels of information. We're reaching new people that have new information! I've never been more excited to gain more information. I can't believe others aren't excited to finally hear about some of this stuff.

Heck, we may be given an opportunity where Michael will be FORCED to explain what happened in the water works. That is perhaps the most ANNOYING secret in this whole story. Michael disappears, comes back with a broken arm and basically shrugs it off and calls it "horrific" in the same line. Then this zombie called "Randy!" shows up and we have NO CLUE who he is. This show is so addicting that it's annoying lol.

GodofInsanity
Jun 13th, 2012, 03:53 AM
I know I am speaking up almost a month after the last post here about htis and a few episodes further along as well, but here it goes. I can understand the frustration of a very good story slowing down. But I have found this with Kc and this great story he has lured us into. When it slows down pay attention cause he is gonna fill you in on part of the story and may even add some new questions. But as always patience pays off and then we pick up great info in the story and see it take a leap into "HOLY SHIT" land. Keep it up I will take the slow and the fast paced.

Eviebae
Jun 28th, 2012, 08:39 PM
The main problem is I want it faster and slower at the same time!

IamPaul
Jun 29th, 2012, 01:47 PM
This is why I have a love/hate relationship with the internet. I love it because it gives us great stories like "We're Alive", but I hate it because people complain about great stories like "We're Alive". BE PATIENT FOLKS! Each season takes a year to come out. If we got everything at once, it would suck. We only have 1 and a half seasons left, just slow down and enjoy it. "Enjoy your burrito!" - Jonah Ray

IamPaul
Jun 29th, 2012, 01:48 PM
If you do not like how it is going, then write your own story. Create some awesome fan fiction.

drlolzphd
Jul 1st, 2012, 10:40 PM
since i'm too lazy to actually read/comprehend this thread other than the title, i suggest re-watching the season or even the whole series if you are in fact disappointed. I have been hibernating from the majority of this season and decided to catch myself up one late night which led to my renewed love for the show. I'm not saying it's gonna work for you but what's the harm in trying? I mean this is one of the, if not the, best storydriven podcast on the market. With the added incentive of the show being free, there is no right to be in fact "disappointed" with it? I listened from episodes 27-30 and those were enough to reel me back in pretty damn good. Maybe you can rewatch or do what i did and hibernate for a bit so you have a nice lengthy welcome after a few months?

PuddleWhite
Jul 2nd, 2012, 03:01 AM
The problem is that, somehow, without a million dollar budget, this show manages to be engaging and involving. We sympathize to the point where we want to see our favorites be OK and the people we hate die more than we want to see the plot move forward. Purgatory was a horrible, horrible chapter not because it was badly made, but because it was well made. Now every time there is an episode where the things happening to our guys are neither bad or good, and it feels empty, because we arent assured that everyone is okay. Despite the interesting revelations about the whole of US, and Michael's and Pegg's short discourse about freedom and duty and love, all we really want is to be assured that the Boulder crew is just fine. But despite that, what we need, is for the story to move forward, otherwise we will be left with the story about how some guys were fine, and occasionally not so fine, in a world where something is happening, but we don't really know what.

Memis
Jul 3rd, 2012, 07:08 AM
Its all part of KC's vision. I was upset about losing angel but as with life, sometimes you can grow on a new character and enjoy it more so. It makes the podcast have the look and feel of reality, as with mass effect 3, people can't always have it their way.

reaper239
Jul 3rd, 2012, 07:17 AM
Its all part of KC's vision. I was upset about losing angel but as with life, sometimes you can grow on a new character and enjoy it more so. It makes the podcast have the look and feel of reality, as with mass effect 3, people can't always have it their way.

good point. after a character has run their course, we often want htem to stick around, but when they can add nothing more to the story, they need to go. one way or the other.

facebook.com/alexinks
Jul 17th, 2012, 04:42 PM
angel is the only character's exit that i felt was
strangely rushed . . . i'm lying to myself that maybe
angel switched with someone more effed up than
he and put the ring on him... his exit was too weird,
even the hawaiin guy had a big explanation towards his
ending... although that might happen to angel.

DannyBox
Jul 26th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Well for me at the first was that when there was a tension dialog, between characters there was no background music or something to back that feeling up, it feel like having a fight with one of m friends or something in real live, wish i think ether that it was a touch of realism i think you guys want to give...but i was keep in touch with the podcast...and then i start to hear that background tension music, when thing get pretty in tension.. :)

P.S. I'm at chapter 13 and loving it :)

KCutt215
Jul 29th, 2012, 07:22 PM
This season has been slow moving for sure. I for one wanted to have answers almost as soon as Season 3 started, but the pace of the season has been very slow, measured, and deliberate. I also think this is a show that benefits from listening to straight through once the season is over. Waiting weeks in between episodes builds anticipation but it also breaks the narrative up too much. I love listening to a completed season straight through after it's complete. Do others feel the same way? Maybe it's just me.

forgottenone
Jul 29th, 2012, 08:54 PM
angel is the only character's exit that i felt was
strangely rushed . . . i'm lying to myself that maybe
angel switched with someone more effed up than
he and put the ring on him... his exit was too weird,
even the hawaiin guy had a big explanation towards his
ending... although that might happen to angel.

Well, now we know why it was rushed. It still worked well. Sad to see him go.

Osiris
Jul 29th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I was sad to see Angel go... but it makes for a more interesting arc for Riley.

zBrendon
Aug 30th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I agree 100%. Things just seem to be slowing down. There is no conflict resolution, only more conflict in each chapter. A story with no climax, is like sex with no climax... unsatisfying.

Osiris
Aug 30th, 2012, 07:32 PM
I'm using my 2000th post to do this:

:hsugh:

And only some of you will understand the significance.

Robzombie
Aug 30th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Well congrats osiris.
Regarding the thread, I just deleted a long paragraph about what i really wanted to say...i'll just leave it instead with a .........damn none of these smileys really do it...kind of a head shake, eye roll, frustrated thing...idk.