PDA

View Full Version : Fort Irwin V The Mallers!!!

bradarro11
Apr 26th, 2012, 05:05 AM
what are your thoughts on scratch and co getting information regarding the wereabouts of micheal,pegs etc.. and heading after them. I presume she found burt and angel alive after the tower fell in chapt 24, and this would provide her with the means to find out peg's location. i believe a military base would probably appeal to Darie (maller leader , not sure of spelling) and could see a huge maller convoy heading out to take over fort irwin.
this could be a nice little side show from the whole HAZE debate and possibly bring a few characters back together...

reaper239
Apr 26th, 2012, 05:55 AM
what are your thoughts on scratch and co getting information regarding the wereabouts of micheal,pegs etc.. and heading after them. I presume she found burt and angel alive after the tower fell in chapt 24, and this would provide her with the means to find out peg's location. i believe a military base would probably appeal to Darie (maller leader , not sure of spelling) and could see a huge maller convoy heading out to take over fort irwin.
this could be a nice little side show from the whole HAZE debate and possibly bring a few characters back together...

it's spelled durai

i don't think he would be that stupid. three soldiers and a handful of armed civilians is one thing, but a base full of trained armed soldiers on high alert, the mallers wouldn't stand a chance.

Cabbage Patch
Apr 26th, 2012, 07:04 AM
It's a long, hard road between LA and Fort Irwin. We already know, from the reports from the helicopter, that the roads are jammed with abandoned vehicles. There's no telling how heavy the concentrations of zombies are, but we know that Barstow is full of them and the only easy way to get to Fort Irwin is through Barstow.

Now, if the Mallers had a helicopter pilot things could be different. I wonder if Kalani trained his daughter Hannah to fly?

Once the Mallers got to Fort Irwin they would be at a severe disadvantage. Just the soldiers we've seen so far, a handful of MPs and a Hummer with a 50 cal, comes close to outgunning the Maller group that destroyed the Tower (with their empty RPG and small arms), and that's a fraction of what should be available at Fort Irwin.

GeneTwo
Apr 26th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I think Fort Irwin is under strength. I bet, once the call to evacuate people from the cities was broadcast, Fort Irwin sent choppers to far away places like LA and sent troop convoys to closer cities like Barstow - all lost. Its a possible reason why the barracks area seems to be protected by 10ft high Texas barriers and Baghdad like checkpoints. As to the question if the Mallers could take Fort Irwin - no. At full strength, the Mallers only have small arms and that tanker trick and maybe an RPG with like 2 shots left (that is unless Burt forgot to tell Michael about the Mini Nuke he kept behind the cash register).

I think the more reasonable theory is the Mallers took off on boats. Its why Saul couldn't find any trace of a large group of prisoners and their slaves. Check the map (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/newartwork/map/HighResMap.jpg), Maller HQ is near Manna Del Rey. I checked it out on google maps, it a dock. Most of the boats dont look like they could hold much people though, small craft and fishing boats. But looking around the dock there are a few that look like commuter boats or Yachts that could hold a lot of folks. O man why am I picturing "Water World"

Cabbage Patch
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I think the more reasonable theory is the Mallers took off on boats. Its why Saul couldn't find any trace of a large group of prisoners and their slaves. Check the map (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/newartwork/map/HighResMap.jpg), Maller HQ is near Manna Del Rey. I checked it out on google maps, it a dock. Most of the boats dont look like they could hold much people though, small craft and fishing boats. But looking around the dock there are a few that look like commuter boats or Yachts that could hold a lot of folks. O man why am I picturing "Water World"

The idea of the Mallers leaving by boat is very interesting. Marina Del Rey is just a yacht and small craft harbor, but some of those yachts are decent sized. They could certainly use the boats they'd find there to send groups out to secure larger ships, from the Port of Los Angeles, from the Coast Guard base to the north in Ventura County, etc. Or they could just head out to sea and seize ships anchored off-shore, on a clear day you can see a line of ships off Marina Del Rey waiting for their chance to enter the Port of Los Angeles and I'm sure some of them would still be sitting there, abandoned. The real question is where would they go once they had suitable vessels.

Hear's an interesting tie in to a loose end. Maybe the yacht that Michael and Pegs boarded on their way to the Colony was a Maller scout vessel that the crew abandoned for some reason.

reaper239
Apr 26th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I think Fort Irwin is under strength. I bet, once the call to evacuate people from the cities was broadcast, Fort Irwin sent choppers to far away places like LA and sent troop convoys to closer cities like Barstow - all lost. Its a possible reason why the barracks area seems to be protected by 10ft high Texas barriers and Baghdad like checkpoints. As to the question if the Mallers could take Fort Irwin - no. At full strength, the Mallers only have small arms and that tanker trick and maybe an RPG with like 2 shots left (that is unless Burt forgot to tell Michael about the Mini Nuke he kept behind the cash register).

ft irwin may be under strength, but with how quickly it happend i don't think any evac call went out. plus you have to take into account any training units at NTC at the time, there are likely quite a few people still staffing irwin. even so, i think that as little as one platoon would be enough to defend irwin from the mallers and since i think they have more than that, i think they won't have any problems. i do however think that you may be on to something with the mallers.

reaper239
Apr 26th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Hear's an interesting tie in to a loose end. Maybe the yacht that Michael and Pegs boarded on their way to the Colony was a Maller scout vessel that the crew abandoned for some reason.

hey, that's a brilliant idea.

GeneTwo
Apr 26th, 2012, 04:47 PM

Totally missed that. :tinfoil: Adding more red string to the wall.

GeneTwo
Apr 26th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Here's what I think a Maller VS Fort Irwin battle will look like. The Mallers would be the G.I. Joes and Calvin/Fumbles is one Marine/Army sniper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW3dg9VURMU

Cabbage Patch
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Here's another taste of what the Mallers, or the Zombies might find waiting for them; video of tank gunnery training at Fort Irwin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSA4smGNbmI

reaper239
Apr 27th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Here's what I think a Maller VS Fort Irwin battle will look like. The Mallers would be the G.I. Joes and Calvin/Fumbles is one Marine/Army sniper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW3dg9VURMU

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2012/2/19/3a15ca1c-92c5-494a-8713-a751ba93aab9.jpg

that was a sweet jeebus moment

reaper239
Apr 27th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Here's another taste of what the Mallers, or the Zombies might find waiting for them; video of tank gunnery training at Fort Irwin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSA4smGNbmI

those things are so advanced that they can track a moving target, while moving, fire while moving, and hit the target dead center. if you think you can take on a tank battalion with two rpgs and a handful of small arms, then let me buy you a plane ticket to afghanistan, you can go try your luck. the impressive thing is, even with rpgs, you can't kill an abrams. the most you can do is disable it and ring the crews bell, but they will remain safe and sound inside. the insurgents started doing this thing where they bury mortar shells and detonate them when a tank rolls over it. it flips the tank, but when they bring out a recovery vehicle to reflip it, in most cases they can drive it home. the crew btw is fine, some sprains, maybe a broken arm or two, but no dead.

reaper239
Apr 27th, 2012, 07:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UZT5YEcMVY&feature=player_embedded

GeneTwo
Apr 27th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Maller = Mario
Scratch = King Kong
Princess = Lizzy

Yellow Spartan = Saul (color of the air tanks. ha)
Blue Spartan = Victor
Grey Spartan = CJ

reaper239
Apr 30th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Maller = Mario
Scratch = King Kong
Princess = Lizzy

Yellow Spartan = Saul (color of the air tanks. ha)
Blue Spartan = Victor
Grey Spartan = CJ

ah lol.

AdrianHD
Apr 30th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I used to be all for this idea, but can they really do it? Maybe if they had the Colony on their side there's like a slim, slim chance, but eh.

Nitara
May 2nd, 2012, 02:15 PM
I have a feeling that the mallers will eventually find out where they went. All they have to do is torture Angel and Bert to get the answers.

Even so, I doubt that the mallers would be able to make it to Fort Irwin, let alone take over. Besides, I seriously doubt Durai would allow it. Hmm, I wonder if Scratch is going to turn on Durai at some point.

Red Shirt
May 6th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I have a feeling that the mallers will eventually find out where they went. All they have to do is torture Angel and Bert to get the answers.

Even so, I doubt that the mallers would be able to make it to Fort Irwin, let alone take over. Besides, I seriously doubt Durai would allow it. Hmm, I wonder if Scratch is going to turn on Durai at some point.

I guarantee that she will. She is insane and he is, despite having been a convict, seems to be reasonable and level headed.

We now know that Scratch is going behind Durai's back to set things up, particularly with Kolani, both towers and setting up the shooting incident. One way or another, this info is going to make it's way back to Durai and she is going to have to answer to him for it.

This has the possibility of splitting the Mallers, one group led by Scratch (If she doesn't and up dead.) the other led by Durai.

My bet is that the Scratch/Durai dynamic is going to come to a head and Scratch is going to end up with the short end of the stick, or dead. I further wager that Durai and his remnants may even join the remnants of both towers, or at least exist under a truce with them.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to add:

There is a LOT more left to Ft Irwin than we thought. Additionally, the Colonel's command center to me implies that they just might be in contact with other military remnants as well. Not to mention what the Corporal said. They were between rotations, but an Infantry Brigade was due to rotate in and their equipment was sent ahead.

Depending on the specific type of brigade, this could be:

One Battalion of Armor, or 40-50 M1A2 Abrams MBTs
Two to Four Battalions of Mechanized Infantry or 48 to 64 Bradley APCs PER Battalion
One Battalion of Artillery about 30-40 guns, 109A6 Paladins more specifically
One company of ADA Bradleys, probably 10 to 15.
Some ammo for all of it.
All the support equipment for it as well.

Also, if their equipment is on the ground, then it is highly likely that the Advance Party from that Brigade is there too. Some of them will know how to use it.

Long story short, if the Mallers, even allied with the Colony try to pull something, they are going to get their asses handed to them.

Osiris
May 6th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Interesting thoughts, Red Shirt.

I would be inclined to think that the Scratch/Durai arc is far from coming to a head, considering that we have no back story or real interactions between the two in order to determine how their dynamic truly works. It's possible that Durai simply allows Scratch to do as she needs, believing that it will benefit his own interests. I simply don't feel as though we have enough information about either of them to witness a falling out at this time. I would think there would be at least one episode dealing with their history, otherwise the characters are simply marionettes that pose no threat or significance to the story on the whole. That doesn't fit at all with the way the story has come together thus far. As for Scratch ending up dead? I have to disagree. Scratch has a bigger part to play and will likely survive longer than Durai or any of his men.

As for the likelihood of any sort of backup arriving... well, it would stand to reason that, in order to keep morale high, in a situation with a bleak a horizon as this one, it would make sense that the commander may lie about the possibilities of help. While it may be better to be honest and let his troops know what was really going on, the truth may work against him. Dissension in the ranks is always possible in dire situations--as we have seen in the Tower's history, even though they were not military, they're still humans and as we know, humans have strange reactions to stress and bad news.

Great post.

reaper239
May 7th, 2012, 06:59 AM
i kind of have to agree with osiris here. we don't have any real evidence that she went behind durais back on anything but the final assault on the tower. while we suspect that she went behind durais back to start the war, we don't have any real solid evidence. also, while i hate scratch, she is too good of a villain (much as she causes her own problems and then blames them on others ;):p;)(pokes osiris :zombiepoke:)) to kill off at this point. durai seems more like the CEO of bad guys while scratch is like freddy krueger in alcatraz, you don't want to meet any of those guys but she's definitely the worst of them.

Nitara
May 7th, 2012, 08:25 AM
i kind of have to agree with osiris here. we don't have any real evidence that she went behind durais back on anything but the final assault on the tower. while we suspect that she went behind durais back to start the war, we don't have any real solid evidence. also, while i hate scratch, she is too good of a villain (much as she causes her own problems and then blames them on others ;):p;)(pokes osiris :zombiepoke:)) to kill off at this point. durai seems more like the CEO of bad guys while scratch is like freddy krueger in alcatraz, you don't want to meet any of those guys but she's definitely the worst of them.

It's true that we don't know for certain that Scratch went behind Durai's back, but I do find it interesting that the people with Scratch never heard him mention anything about the attack. While he's not obligated to share every little detail, I find it hard to believe he'd keep quiet about something like this.

If Scratch did do this without Durai's permission, the chances that she'll do something like this again are pretty high. And that's where I think they're going to run into problems. The last thing a leader needs is to have their authority undermined by someone like Scratch. And if there was a power struggle between the two, I have a feeling that Scratch would win.

Cabbage Patch
May 7th, 2012, 12:24 PM
After hearing Part 2 of Chapter 29 it seems clear to me that there's little risk of the Mallers taking over Fort Irwin. However, it does raise the question of what Fort Irwin is going to do about the Mallers.

We know that the Army is conducting active rescue missions to find survivors. Are they going to want to "rescue" the Mallers? Or conduct a raid to rescue their slaves? If not, will they be willing to provide them with aid and assistance? Or will the answer be to fly a bomb into the new Maller base to destroy them?

trubkir
May 7th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I think the mallers would actively avoid any convoy or group they saw that looked remotely official. Ft Irwin could still be in the dark about the mallers. This depends on how far away the Colonel is willing to send his spec ops and recon patrols. It also depends upon the quality of the people conducting those patrols.

GeneTwo
May 8th, 2012, 01:59 AM
I'm starting to reconsider my thoughts of the Mallers as simply just a bunch criminal slavers. So far in the story, they are the only group that we know of, actively fighting back against the zombie horde.

Also, there seems to be women other than Scratch working willingly the Mallers. Easter Bay was a male prison and I don't remember anyone of the characters saying that there was a woman's prison around LA. So I can only conclude these are non prison women working willingly with the Mallers.

I'm not saying that the Mallers are some sort of anti-hero group or something like that, but I think there is more to them than just being simple convicts.

reaper239
May 8th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I'm starting to reconsider my thoughts of the Mallers as simply just a bunch criminal slavers. So far in the story, they are the only group that we know of, actively fighting back against the zombie horde.

Also, there seems to be women other than Scratch working willingly the Mallers. Easter Bay was a male prison and I don't remember anyone of the characters saying that there was a woman's prison around LA. So I can only conclude these are non prison women working willingly with the Mallers.

I'm not saying that the Mallers are some sort of anti-hero group or something like that, but I think there is more to them than just being simple convicts.

you're a woman in LA (follow me here) and zombies over run the city. these convicts break out, but they seem to be doing pretty good against the zombies. you are one woman. wouldn't you join them for self preservation? they're criminals, and some are animals, but as long as durai has command over them, they will stay in line, and durai is not the worst person i've ever heard of.

GeneTwo
May 8th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I think in the chapters The Devil's Workshop there is another woman Maller. She mentions that she volunteered to attack the zombie HQ. She wasn't ordered and it didn't sound like she was threatened to do it.

In Kalani's diary, didn't it sound weird that Scratch wanted Kalani to shoot at the Mallers to start a war. Why do the Mallers need provocation?

I'm just saying theres more to the Mallers than just being thugs.

zedhead
May 9th, 2012, 11:44 AM
not even close, fort irwin boasts thousands of WELL trained and supplied men, plus air supperiority, wheras the slightly trained handful in the tower were able to fight off the mallers at the end of chapter one with furniture <_<
honestly, the mallers wouldn't even cause one casualty to fort irwin <_<

GeneTwo
May 9th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I guess you missed the Fumbles video earlier in the thread. :p

ClearSights
May 11th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I agree with many others here. Let's say there are about 60 Maulers and about 50 Military Personal at Fort Irwin. The Military Personal would destroy any Maulers because of one, them having way more guns and ammunition and two because of the military training. The Maulers wouldn't stand a chance to take over Fort Irwin. I guess it would be a fun fight but in the end the Maulers would be destroyed and they would be exterminated from the series.

However, I can see the Maulers using Angel, Burt and Pegs as a means to take control of Fort Irwin, but the Military Personal would not let that happen so I can see Michael, Datu, Kelly, Riley, Tanya ect.... leaving Fort Irwin to get back their friends if they found out that they were still alive.

GeneTwo
May 11th, 2012, 04:29 PM
:tinfoil: Here's my tinfoil red string theory :tinfoil:

Next time we see Lizzy, Burt, and Angel, they will be working with the Mallers. Lizzy and her baby bump will be head of zombie research, Burt will be a master of arms, and Angel will be arm and arm with Scratch leading the troops.

The we have a Randy/Michael deal where they wont tell us why that happens. Dam you KC why wont you tell us.