PDA

View Full Version : Episodes on Vinyl

Eviebae
Apr 20th, 2012, 05:34 PM
So, vinyl is regaining a niche in the music industry--because it has a greater range of sound. Musicians have been doing special pressings and Jack Black has a label for vinyl artists. Anywho, Tell 'em Steve Dave did a podcast and had it pressed in vinyl--so basically a record of a podcast. It was successful and I got to thinking...Since the sound is so incredible in WA and so important to a lot of us--why not press an album? I don't think the full series would be feasible, but maybe a short story?

Cabbage Patch
Apr 20th, 2012, 08:00 PM
How long an audio can you record on vinyl? I seem to recall albums running 30 to 45 minutes, so maybe two chapters per disk?

Raven
Apr 21st, 2012, 05:41 AM
Get an LP with We're Alive's audio quality and it would work out to be even less I think, especially when you consider the newer chapters are all longer than 20mins each I don't remember seeing very many movies on vinyl with sound FX . BUT in case of zombie apocalypse it would also double as a bludgeoning device!

abayarts
Apr 21st, 2012, 07:50 AM
Vinyl + Zombies = Shaun of the Dead :cool:

Ed: 'Purple Rain'?
Shaun: No.
Ed: 'Sign o' the Times'?
Shaun: Definitely not.
Ed: The 'Batman' soundtrack?
Shaun: Throw it.
Ed: 'Dire Straits'?
Shaun: Throw it.
Ed: Ooh, 'Stone Roses'.
Shaun: Um, No.
Ed: 'Second Coming'.
Shaun: I like it!
Ed: Ahhh! 'Sade'.
Shaun: Yeah, but that's Liz's!
Ed: Yeah, but she did dump you.
Shaun: Oh!

Eviebae
Apr 21st, 2012, 01:50 PM
Get an LP with We're Alive's audio quality and it would work out to be even less I think, especially when you consider the newer chapters are all longer than 20mins each I don't remember seeing very many movies on vinyl with sound FX . BUT in case of zombie apocalypse it would also double as a bludgeoning device!

Art should never be used as a bludgeoning device!...Except maybe in a gallery setting

Vinyl + Zombies = Shaun of the Dead :cool:

Laser sharpened vinyl--the connoisseur's choice

Osiris
Apr 23rd, 2012, 12:58 AM
I love the idea of a limited W.A. pressing. Maybe on a red disc? It would be really cool to do something like that for the final chapter! Awesome idea!

GeneTwo
Apr 23rd, 2012, 01:34 AM
When We're Alive goes to vinyl, can someone make a mp3 of it and put it in iTunes?

Osiris
Apr 23rd, 2012, 01:35 AM
:hsugh:

reaper239
Apr 23rd, 2012, 06:36 AM
i like the short story idea, they find a journal and a body and here what this guy went through as a side story. i would totally buy that (along with a record player). it would be awesome to see a little side story that has no relevance to anything, but is worth listening to in it's own rights.

Eviebae
Apr 24th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I glanced at a couple of websites that do pressings. Whoa, there are lots of options and a wide range of pricing. It's not so expensive per record, but you have minimum order amounts. For instance, one wants $879 for 100--that's less than $1 ea (for bare basics). Another wants a run of 500 before they'll do colored vinyl. So, for sure it would be a Kickstarter project. I think you'd end up with a collectors item though. I'm thinking that getting this together could be done by us fans for Kc if he's interested in it.
What do you think?
Do you think we should do a poll to see if anyone would be interested or check with Kc first?

Osiris
Apr 24th, 2012, 07:34 PM
I glanced at a couple of websites that do pressings. Whoa, there are lots of options and a wide range of pricing. It's not so expensive per record, but you have minimum order amounts. For instance, one wants $879 for 100--that's less than $1 ea (for bare basics). Another wants a run of 500 before they'll do colored vinyl. So, for sure it would be a Kickstarter project. I think you'd end up with a collectors item though. I'm thinking that getting this together could be done by us fans for Kc if he's interested in it.
What do you think?
Do you think we should do a poll to see if anyone would be interested or check with Kc first?

I'd say do a poll... either way to see what kind of interest it would generate... though I'm concerned about your maths... maybe rechecking them is a good idea? I like the idea of a double gate release. At about 25 minutes (max) per side, you can get a chapter and maybe a brief cast/crew message to the fans? THAT would be awesome! You could do the first chapter, or the last chapter (or perhaps the one voted for by fans) and include a message from each of the cast members. Maybe it's just a thank you to Kc and the fans or maybe it's just something else? A little 'special' that Kc puts together as a way of thanking the fans for all their support of the years. An alternate ending? Or the big reveal about a key plot point that never ends up being directly addressed in the show itself.

Shit... I'm getting way too many ideas! I <3 you so much for making me think!

Eviebae
Apr 24th, 2012, 10:43 PM
though I'm concerned about your maths... maybe rechecking them is a good idea?

Too true, almost 9.00 per record and that was definitely the cheapest so far. Although, my favorite so far was red and had a buzz saw edge!

Osiris
Apr 24th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Too true, almost 9.00 per record and that was definitely the cheapest so far. Although, my favorite so far was red and had a buzz saw edge!

Niiiice. I'm definitely interested in the idea. I'm curious if that includes packaging. If not, there's another big cost. I tell you what though, it'd be awesome to see one of abayarts posters in a double gate fold out!

reaper239
Apr 25th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Niiiice. I'm definitely interested in the idea. I'm curious if that includes packaging. If not, there's another big cost. I tell you what though, it'd be awesome to see one of abayarts posters in a double gate fold out!

HELL YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAH!!!!!!! i like the special message idea, but what about like a commentary thing, like all the cast and crew involved in the episode do a commentary on the backside on it, talk about what went into it, what they were thinking when doing it, etc.

Kc
Apr 25th, 2012, 10:17 AM
For instance, one wants $879 for 100--that's less than $1 ea (for bare basics).

$879/100= $8.79 ... Math ;)

Osiris
Apr 25th, 2012, 12:43 PM
HELL YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAH!!!!!!! i like the special message idea, but what about like a commentary thing, like all the cast and crew involved in the episode do a commentary on the backside on it, talk about what went into it, what they were thinking when doing it, etc.

That would require more albums... unless it was a one off of a part of a chapter.

reaper239
Apr 25th, 2012, 12:47 PM
that's what i'm talking about, just for the chapter on the album, like in movies. you could even run the chapter in the background.

nah, what i really want is like a short. you know, a little side piece that has nothing to do with the main story? that'd be beast yo.

Osiris
Apr 25th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I can dig it.

mem
Apr 26th, 2012, 07:30 AM
$879/100= $8.79 ... Math ;)

http://www.funwithmaths.com.au/we-content/template/img/logo.jpg

Cabbage Patch
Apr 26th, 2012, 10:30 AM
How about a picture disc album? Record a chapter on the record and put the chapter artwork on the disc. I remember those fondly from olden times and always thought they looked cool. You might not even have to put the audio on the disc, my impression was that they were mainly for show and I can't remember ever seeing anyone play one.

zombie19
May 2nd, 2012, 08:14 AM
I would totally buy a copy for each season.

VEE
May 4th, 2012, 04:40 AM
How about a picture disc album? Record a chapter on the record and put the chapter artwork on the disc. I remember those fondly from olden times and always thought they looked cool. You might not even have to put the audio on the disc, my impression was that they were mainly for show and I can't remember ever seeing anyone play one.

Pic discs were cool, I played some of mine though, they worked just fine. I think the idea was that they were worth more unplayed. Shaped ones were good as well, I had the Police in the shape of badges, 'Can't stand losing you' was one I think it was, was a long time ago!

A CD with card sleeve including artwork is about $5 all in for batches of 100 (that's what I use anyway) and I would pay retail up to $10 for a CD only story, if it was NEVER released as a download.

Happy to help out with it if help is needed.