PDA

View Full Version : The Hunt for the Other Tower

Cabbage Patch
Apr 19th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Now that CJ has entered the story we're getting some tantalizing clues to the location of the Other Tower, which we now know is called the Dunbar Apartments. I wanted to set up a thread through which we could share clues and ideas.

KC has confirmed that the Other Tower is based on a real location in Los Angeles.

We know that it isn't based on the Dunbar Hotel (props to Litmaster for that find).

Details we know, as of the end of Chapter 28, include:
• It's a high rise apartment tower.
• It has a grand foyer entryway.
• It has outside fire escapes.
• It may be located adjacent to a multi-story parking garage.

We have one nomination on the table. Tartius has suggested the SB Tower building at 548 S Spring Street, Los Angeles (see photo).

I think the search should be focused on the area around the old Downtown Los Angeles area. It's an older part of the city and there are a number of buildings there with fire escapes, which are rare elsewhere in the city.

GeneTwo
Apr 19th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Looks like what I pictured in my mind. Thick walls, large first floor, but kinda short, that building looks like it has only 11 floors. I always thought it was taller than the WA tower. Not sure where I got that idea though.

Osiris
Apr 20th, 2012, 12:44 AM
I came into this thread thinking about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW18-2-QrIg

Cabbage Patch
Apr 20th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Here's another candidate, 204 E. Seventh Street, Los Angeles. Note the fire escapes. There is a multi-story car park on the far side of the building.

Cabbage Patch
Apr 23rd, 2012, 11:36 AM
Not it ;)

Does this help? 1780

So KC has stated that it's not the SB Tower location, and posted this clue.

New things this clue reveals:

• It's one of those tower buildings build around an inner courtyard. That explains why it was so hard to get from the rooms where Kalani and Sean were to the area where the weapons were stored!

• Note the bands near the top floor and at the bottom of the picture. These are fairly common on the older LA skyscrapers, so let's hope they're mirrored on the outside.

• This looks to me like there are 10 stories in the "tower" portion of the building, with a lower "lobby" portion forming the base. The pattern is similar to SB Tower, but clearly different. It's probably not the 204 East 7th Street location either.

The search continues!

uuhhhuuu
Apr 23rd, 2012, 11:44 AM
i came into this thread thinking about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw18-2-qrig

epic!! Lol

Kc
Apr 23rd, 2012, 11:59 AM
There are fire escapes on the outside.And it's more like a U shape, but not a perfect U. That might help a little, but LA is a big place.

Cabbage Patch
Oct 10th, 2012, 05:12 PM
There are fire escapes on the outside.And it's more like a U shape, but not a perfect U. That might help a little, but LA is a big place.

5 months of searching and I still can't find it! I'm not giving up, but I am putting my search on hold for now.

Osiris
Oct 10th, 2012, 05:22 PM
DAMNIT! This thread title got me again! I'd forgotten all about it and suddenly... Red October all over again. Damn you Cabbageface.