PDA

View Full Version : 80's Movie May-rathon 2012!!!

Osiris
Apr 19th, 2012, 12:44 AM
80's Movie May-rathon 2012

http://tcritic.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/sayanything.jpg

May is approaching, which means it's time for another 80's movie marathon! I've been doing this for the last 10 years. I sit down at the end of every day and select a flick (or two) from a beautiful period of film history. There are some amazing films, there are some god awful films... either way, I'm out to sit through 31 of them--probably more now that I'll be spending at least the first week recovering from surgery which means doing nothing but sitting on my ass watching movies and reading. So let's have a look at the list for the first half of the month. You tell me what you've liked, disliked, seen or haven't! I'm also open to suggestion! I'll see anything! Speaking of Anything...

Week One: Cusacks, Candys and Caddies! Oh My!

May 1 - Say Anything

May 2 - Summer Rental (Changed to Uncle Buck due to missing DVD]

May 3 - Caddyshack

May 4 - Better Off Dead/One Crazy Summer

May 5 - The Blues Brothers/Spaceballs

May 6 - The Breakfast Club [Changed to Willow due to missing DVD)

May 7 - Ghostbusters

Week Two: Weird 80s

May 8 - Weird Science
May 9 - House II: The Second Story I supplemented this movie with The Woman In Black. It simply wasn't scary enough.
May 10 - Back to the Future
May 11 - Blue Velvet/The Wraith The Wraith was worse than I remembered. Very let down.
May 12 - Repo Man/My Science Project My Science Project was :bowdown: awesome funny still.
May 13 - Howard The Duck
May 14 - Beetlejuice

Week Three: The Horrific 80's

May 15 - The Fog

May 16 - 976-EVIL
May 17 - The Serpent and The Rainbow
May 18 - The Evil Dead/Re-Animator
May 19 - Children of the Corn/The Shining
May 20 - Poltergeist
May 21 - The Lost Boys

Week Four: 80's Drama-rama

May 22 - Do The Right Thing
May 23 - Amadeus
May 24 - Children of a Lesser God
May 25 - Less Than Zero/Heathers
May 26 - St. Elmo's Fire/Wall Street
May 27 - Casualties of War
May 28 - Witness

Week Five: All Or Nothing

May 28 - Conan The Barbarian/Legend
May 29 - Wargames/Manhattan Project
May 30 - The Goonies/Explorers
May 31 - Risky Business/The Cannonball Run

Nothing on this list is set in stone. For the most part, I threw random movies at dates--a lot of them off the top of my head. I'm open to suggestions as to what I should take off/add/etc. I ignored the standard Monday-Sunday week to try and get a fairly balanced number of days. Days highlighted in green represent Friday/Saturday. Titles highlighted in Violet are pulled from the list of recommendations made by you.

This year's marathon made possible by my shitty, stony gallbladder, Lloyd Dobler, and the good folks who make Percocet--bless your souls.

---------------------------
:RECOMMENDED TITLES:

Fat man and little boy
Red Dawn
Uncommon Valor
Conan the Barbarian
Farewell to the King
Red Sonja
A Nightmare on Elm Street
The Lost Boys

yarri
Apr 19th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Would you consider me weird if I told you I've seen pretty much all of them and have a majority of these movies.

Osiris
Apr 19th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Not really. I've seen about 80% and own the ones I have. They just tend to get pushed back in the library and seldom watched.

yarri
Apr 19th, 2012, 02:39 AM
A suggestion for week 1. Fat man and little boy

7oddisdead
Apr 19th, 2012, 04:55 AM
i approve every part of this list..hell, its even in the proper order..makes me wanna watch serpent and the rainbow again..god i haven't seen that in forever.

Osiris
Apr 19th, 2012, 06:25 PM
A suggestion for week 1. Fat man and little boy

Week one is really about laughing... Fat Man and Little Boy seems a little heavy for that, but it might do well in week four.

Osiris
Apr 19th, 2012, 06:26 PM
i approve every part of this list..hell, its even in the proper order..makes me wanna watch serpent and the rainbow again..god i haven't seen that in forever.

Yeah I'm super excited about that one too! It's been a loooooooong time since I've seen it!

yarri
Apr 19th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Week one is really about laughing... Fat Man and Little Boy seems a little heavy for that, but it might do well in week four.

I had a teen girl crush on John Cusack I like most of what he does

Cabbage Patch
Apr 19th, 2012, 07:17 PM
You need another week for John Milius films. That guy was everywhere in the 80s, as a writer, a director and a producer.
- Red Dawn
- Uncommon Valor
- Conan the Barbarian
- Farewell to the King
- Apocalypse Now

Okay, the last two came out in 1979, but that's close enough, right.

Osiris
Apr 19th, 2012, 07:34 PM
You need another week for John Milius films. That guy was everywhere in the 80s, as a writer, a director and a producer.
- Red Dawn
- Uncommon Valor
- Conan the Barbarian
- Farewell to the King
- Apocalypse Now

Okay, the last two came out in 1979, but that's close enough, right.

Cutting it a little close there. I'd be inclined to go with Red Dawn and Conan though! I could run those during 'All Or Nothing'.

yarri
Apr 19th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Red Sonja too

Nate Eeez
Apr 19th, 2012, 08:04 PM
House Two? Wow. How about Lost Boys or Nightmare on Elm Street instead?

Osiris
Apr 19th, 2012, 08:21 PM
House Two? Wow. How about Lost Boys or Nightmare on Elm Street instead?

Neither fit the theme for that week. I had The Lost Boys in week three, but I dropped it for 976-EVIL.

Osiris
Apr 19th, 2012, 08:22 PM
But I guess I could drop Christine for Nightmare on Elm Street though!

reaper239
Apr 20th, 2012, 04:17 AM
i'd suggest a boy and his dog (a personal favorite of mine) but that came out in the 70's i think :_(

Osiris
Apr 20th, 2012, 09:46 AM
i'd suggest a boy and his dog (a personal favorite of mine) but that came out in the 70's i think :_(

I may have to do 70s retrospective in June or maybe July.

Cabbage Patch
Apr 20th, 2012, 09:56 AM
The Princess Bride

Star Trek II, The Wrath of Khan.

The Last Starfighter

Nate Eeez
Apr 20th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Lost Boys! Great choice.

Osiris
Apr 26th, 2012, 04:57 PM
The Princess Bride

Star Trek II, The Wrath of Khan.

The Last Starfighter

Yes, yes and yes! I could totally do The Last Starfighter along side Enemy Mine! Daaahweeech. There is no... shppoooooooon...

yarri
Apr 27th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I meant to ask you this. Do you like classic movies and if so what titles have you seen or enjoyed?

Osiris
Apr 27th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I really like film in general. I'd need you to give me your definition of 'classic', because I've found that differs for most people.

If by classics you mean films like:

Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
Gone With The Wind
The Wizard of Oz
North by Northwest
Citizen Kane
Rebel Without A Cause
Red River
It's A Wonderful Life
etc
etc
etc

Yeah... I do. I'd also argue that there are definite classics on the list of films in the first post (and a few of the subsequent posts). I've always looked at a classic as a film that defines its genre perfectly and does it with a style and grace that other films don't and not just the age of the film. But, I'm a bit of a snob in that respect.

yarri
Apr 27th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Oh I see your point you are correct there are classics I'll be more specific. What sort of classics do you enjoy or have you seen? I'm a huge John wayne fan. Have you seen The Quiet Man?

Osiris
Apr 27th, 2012, 08:51 PM
No, I haven't. But I did really like Red River, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Angel and the Badman, War Wagon (I really loved that one), Rio Bravo, Chisum, Big Jake and The Shootist. I also really loved Clint Eastwood and Sergio Leone's Man With No Name movies (Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, A Fistful of Dollars, and For A Few Dollars More)! Not to mention the ultimate western comedy 'The Villain' with Schwarzenegger, Douglas and Paul Lynde in one of the funniest roles ever!

yarri
Apr 27th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Those are all awesome awesome movies I've seen all of them but war wagon I'll have to see it
Have you seen Hatari?

Osiris
Apr 27th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I have, but I was I think six or seven when I did, so I don't remember it very well and have no real opinion on it. My dad is a big fan of The Duke and I've sat and watched all sorts of movies with him. It may be one that I see again, like The Green Berets. I don't remember that one too clearly either.

yarri
Apr 27th, 2012, 09:34 PM
do you have a favorite older actor?

Osiris
Apr 27th, 2012, 09:39 PM
A favourite? Humphrey Bogart comes to mind, but really for just one film. The Maltese Falcon. And The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. And Casablanca. And The Big Sleep. And The African Queen. And The Caine Mutiny. And Key Largo.

yarri
Apr 28th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Tremors 1 is good

Osiris
Apr 29th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Not sure I want to wait until the middle of May to watch My Science Project.

Osiris
May 1st, 2012, 11:07 PM
There's no better way to start off a marathon of 80s movies than one of the best John Cusack performances. He's such a fucking Lloyd. I enjoyed the hell out of Say Anything this evening. Really brought a good finish to a sub-par day.

Osiris
May 6th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Week one nearing completion and I'm amazed at how much of my collection has gone missing over the last few years. I've recently gone through my collection and updated my Profiler catalogue, to note that I'm currently missing 83 discs more discs than I had originally known about (my ex stole a huge section when she split). It pisses me off to no end when people don't return shit they borrow. Sad times. It means I'll be having to make a larger number of substitutions than I had believed necessary.