PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol as a Zombie Repellent?

Zombiphobe
Mar 6th, 2012, 02:36 PM
We know that the zombies can smell humans.
We have also seen characters use alcohol to try and mask their scent.
But what if the alcohol is actually repelling the zombies?

1. When Saul was trapped in the hybrid, the zombies left after the bottle of whiskey broke on his back.
2. Riley and Angel broke wine bottles to cover their trail and hid in the walk-in refrigerator.
3. When asked why zombies did not swarm in when the Maller's first laid seige to the Tower, Kc said the Maller's have a way to dispatch whatever Z's were in the area quietly. Could the Mallers be using alcohol to acheive this?
4. While running away from zombies, Victor broke cologne bottles as a defense, despite the Colony not knowing about the zombies sense of smell. (I believe most colognes/perfumes are alcohol based)
5. In chapter 25, Riley is passed out in a field from drinking. Was the strong scent of alcohol on her enough to protect her from the encroaching zombies?

The evidence is mostly circumstantial, but I've been jostling this theory around in my head a while and thought I'd put it out there to find out what others might think.

Wicked Sid
Mar 6th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Most of these can be chalked up into the Scent Masking column.

Except for 1 and 3. For 1 the Zeds may have either been driven away or found easier prey. For number 3, they most likely used silenced weapons, I'm pretty sure they had a defensive line to watch their backs. Also, if you remember, the Mallers knew even less about the zombies than our Tower Folk did.

Raven
Mar 7th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Agree with Sid Tar didn't believe Lizzie and Bricks confirmed that they didn't know what had called them to the tower. Their line of defense was actually just Bricks in football padding squishing zombies backed up by some expendables with crappy shots pointed away from the Mallers.

Zombiphobe
Mar 7th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I remember Tardust and Bricks not knowing how the Tower was able to call the zombies to the Tower. But even if they have significantly less knowledge of the creatures, that limited knowledge could still include one or two insights that the Tower did not figure out.

I'm posting a link to Kc's comment. It seems to imply something more than silenced weapons or a one man killing machine. Of course I could be reading too much into it.
http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?33-Season-2-opener-war-with-Mallers&p=200&viewfull=1#post200

Wicked Sid
Mar 7th, 2012, 01:27 PM
From what you're reading into the comment, it would insinuate that alcohol would kill the Z's.

He also mentioned that the Mallers were being attacked on both fronts and were losing for most of the battle. If the alcohol did repel the zombies, the Mallers would not have been in such distress. Which is why this was an all or nothing decision for Durai.

7oddisdead
Mar 7th, 2012, 03:51 PM
More evidence against this

While certainly not the same thing...michaels makeshift chloroform would be a much stronger version of the alcohol deterrent...and during the tagging of the zoms they bagan to build up an immunity to it fairly quickly. Now,if a creature can build an immunity to that brutal stuff...quite sure they would laugh at a bottle of jack or what have you...not saying liquor won't mask your scent, but repel?..... O.0?

Zombiphobe
Mar 7th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Wicked Sid - I guess I was thinking a zombie repellent would keep the numbers sparse enough to allow them eliminate any remaining targets quietly. It seemed like the Mallers' main threat was the Tower and that was the front that was taking the most casualties. (Until they unleashed the sweat bottles of course.)

7oddisdead - I had forgotten about their growing immunity to chloroform. Different substance, but valid point.

Witch_Doctor
Apr 19th, 2012, 11:52 PM
I posted on the chapter 28 part 3 forum my thoughts that Alcohol mights dampen or prevent infection. Both Saul and Riley are fully liquored up when they had possible infectious encounters. These scenes involved KC going to great lengths to emphesize that they were drunk.

GeneTwo
Apr 20th, 2012, 01:43 AM
I remember watching on pbs that hunters use special hunting gear and sprays that blocks human scent. I don't know where you would be able to find it in LA though. I would guess a place where you would buy guns, but since Locked and Loaded didn't have any were out of luck. I think it would do a much better job than alcohol.