PDA

View Full Version : Call for Help: Fix the Podcast

Creem_Filling
Mar 1st, 2012, 10:57 PM
I'm not trying to be a total ass-hat here, but I feel this needs to be said. I used to be a pretty hardcore fan of the podcast, We're Not Dead. Some of you may even remember I even wrote a blog about it here on the forums. Lately, however, I have felt that it has gotten rather... boring. I feel like it has problems with the guest system, and the structure seems so scattered. I cannot really peg what it is that has made me grow weary of it, but that is why I am posting this. If anyone else has felt the same decline in quality, please say so. I am looking for suggestions that will make it pleasing again, so Britt can see them and, hopefully, fix it. I want to like the podcast again and start up the blog again.

Thanks,

Creemo

Blues_127
Mar 2nd, 2012, 11:53 AM
Perhaps taste? I like this season better than season II so far.

nikvoodoo
Mar 2nd, 2012, 03:39 PM
Perhaps taste? I like this season better than season II so far.

Just to make sure, you know creemy is talking about We're Not Dead vs We're Alive, right? WND has only had one one season and it's the analysis of podcast of we're alive.

abayarts
Mar 3rd, 2012, 08:19 AM
For some reason, i don't notice a decline in quality. I like they add a clip of the chapter/part into the podcast and really dig the fan made opening that nick and company did. I don't know what to change. maybe a more focus format?

Razorw1re
Mar 5th, 2012, 05:26 PM
The FREE podcast that I listen to for Free should really keep consistant quality levels and dont even think about having, issues like vacations (because when you do a FREE podcast you dont need a vacation) or scheduling conflicts (because everyone is ready at a moments notice despite the fact that people have their own lives to deal with) or fickle technology that sometimes does not cooperate. SHAME ON YOU WND! Get your act together.

(creemo.... just bein facetious bro, not being a hater)

Eviebae
Mar 5th, 2012, 08:51 PM
I like that it seems friendlier now.

I'd like to see:

More people working on it because I think consistency would be easier with more people sharing the load.
A regular sequence of bits--they sort of do this now. Recap, discussion, then a reading of ideas from the forum. It just seems like if that was more concrete it would be easier on the podders.
Better syncing of sound levels
The bits recorded from the chapter being covered inserted in a break, not over their talking.
Regular bits by other people--like reviews of other stories or media, or weird science stuff that people mention in the forums

I think the podcast has soo much potential!

The HPPodcraft Literary Podcast does their's via Skype and they handle the different levels by each recording their own end and combining them--it's definitely better whatever they are doing.

nikvoodoo
Mar 5th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Skype and combining is exactly how we record WND. sometimes the source file is too poor to fix. I'm just as guilty of that as anyone btw

awkwardalex
Mar 5th, 2012, 11:57 PM
I like that it seems friendlier now.

I'd like to see:

More people working on it because I think consistency would be easier with more people sharing the load.
A regular sequence of bits--they sort of do this now. Recap, discussion, then a reading of ideas from the forum. It just seems like if that was more concrete it would be easier on the podders.
Better syncing of sound levels
The bits recorded from the chapter being covered inserted in a break, not over their talking.
Regular bits by other people--like reviews of other stories or media, or weird science stuff that people mention in the forums

I think the podcast has soo much potential!

The HPPodcraft Literary Podcast does their's via Skype and they handle the different levels by each recording their own end and combining them--it's definitely better whatever they are doing.

This is my first time doing mobile here so please forgive errors if any.

I agree the audio inserts combined over the recap makes it hard to understand one or the other. That being said I do enjoy the cliff hangers being inserted.

Mikeyd2tall
Mar 6th, 2012, 04:36 AM
honestly i really like the new intro, and the clips during the summary. maybe the quest system is really choppy, but all can be forgiven.
ONCE IM ON THE DAMN SHOW. lol

nikvoodoo
Mar 6th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I'm going to preface my response to this by saying I'm blunt and often accused of being a dick. I'm aware of these facets of my personality and I try to keep that in mind. I also have to admit that, perhaps, I can't see the forest through the trees on this particular issue.

I've never had any issue with the structure of the podcast. Starts off with intros and banter, moves to the recap, then on to theories/listener mail, house keeping/contests and sign off. With very few exceptions that's how the whole thing breaks down. So I don't see how it's scattered anymore than it ever has been before. after all it's a free flowing conversation. It's morphed so everyone can interrupt the recap more often with some smaller insights or to try to clear up confusion, and Beez has added the WA soundtrack behind it. These both save time later on in the analysis for more theories.

I don't know what to say about the guest system. If you're bored by the guests I don't think that can change unless you eliminate it all together. That way you have no chance of being bored by the guests. At which point you might get bored at the same hosting tandem episode after episode. Some people get shy, some people are absolutely magnetic, some have great insight, others are high energy and fast paced, and some just sink into the background. That's kinda the nature of the beast. Not everyone is as seasoned as britt and Greg on podcasting.

Also keep in mind there has not been a lot to talk about until the last two chapter parts. WND was conceived and originally released right around the Colony chapters. There was a metric shit ton to talk about. Chapter 25, and 2/3rds of 26 were very straight forward and had very little to discuss. The plot went from point a to point b with very little in terms of twists. You can tell the difference in the length alone from #28 to #29...there was more to discuss. More intrigue= more conversation pieces. You can also tell there was less to talk about when looking at the response threads on the forum. That's a very tangible way to judge how the average forum listener feels about the episodes.

Now the blunt part: if you're bored and don't want to blog about it...that's on you. Not the show. Bloggers write critiques all the time on tv shows, movies, books and other topics that bored them to tears. If you're being bored by the podcast, that should be in your blog about the podcast. If you can't find things to write about/critique...As a professor once told me "there is always something to report on. Sit your ass down and just do it."

So take my opinion for what it's worth. For all I know, I'm the reason you think the podcast sucks recently but you didn't want to say it. If I'm truly part of the problem, I'm more than happy to take the criticism...I may not agree but I'll always take it. While I am glad you've voiced your opinion it's hard to take action when you can't ID the problems you're having with the podcast as a listener and more importantly a critic.

mem
Mar 6th, 2012, 10:10 AM
"The FREE podcast that I listen to for Free should really keep consistant quality levels and dont even think about having, issues like vacations (because when you do a FREE podcast you dont need a vacation) or scheduling conflicts (because everyone is ready at a moments notice despite the fact that people have their own lives to deal with) or fickle technology that sometimes does not cooperate. SHAME ON YOU WND! Get your act together."

sadly this is why i dont listen to WND anymore.

Eviebae
Mar 6th, 2012, 03:31 PM
So take my opinion for what it's worth. For all I know, I'm the reason you think the podcast sucks recently but you didn't want to say it. If I'm truly part of the problem, I'm more than happy to take the criticism...I may not agree but I'll always take it.

Not at all, I like listening to your input! I enjoy the podcast! I like the guests. I really love the new intro--it's just so perfect.

I get you are doing this for free and in your spare time. I thought the request was for ways to make it even better. I never criticize unless I can offer a solution--which can be taken or ignored. If I thought the podcast was lame I wouldn't have posted anything.

[edited to add] rereading my post I realized it sounded like I was saying that whatever the HPL guys are doing is better than what you are doing. I meant it to say it's better to what they were doing after one of the guys moved to England and they began using Skype. Now they each record their own input. If you record it just off of Skype the one recording it sounds great and the other sounds tinny or laggy or somesuch.

nikvoodoo
Mar 6th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Not at all, I like listening to your input! I enjoy the podcast! I like the guests. I really love the new intro--it's just so perfect.

I get you are doing this for free and in your spare time. I thought the request was for ways to make it even better. I never criticize unless I can offer a solution--which can be taken or ignored. If I thought the podcast was lame I wouldn't have posted anything.

[edited to add] rereading my post I realized it sounded like I was saying that whatever the HPL guys are doing is better than what you are doing. I meant it to say it's better to what they were doing after one of the guys moved to England and they began using Skype. Now they each record their own input. If you record it just off of Skype the one recording it sounds great and the other sounds tinny or laggy or somesuch.

My diatribe wasn't necessarily in response to your post...it just kinda showed up there after. And I get what you mean now. There are times you can tell where the Skype lag couldn't quite get edited out. I know there's lots of times I speak over people and I never knew they were trying to talk until I hear the finished product.

And I should also make it clear: WND is no where near perfect in all aspects. There can always be improvements made. I'm not so blinded to think its perfect all the time.

7oddisdead
Mar 6th, 2012, 05:09 PM
So are you officially part of the podcast now, Nik?.. I think just having a stable host/co-host dynamic will pick up the little bits people are worrying over..i could see how the randomness of Greg could have been a small part of the problem(not blaming him, I'm aware if what it's like to be a "busy man")..but if you guys actually have structure of the who's and how's...it can only get better. :)

nikvoodoo
Mar 6th, 2012, 05:19 PM
So are you officially part of the podcast now, Nik?.. I think just having a stable host/co-host dynamic will pick up the little bits people are worrying over..i could see how the randomness of Greg could have been a small part of the problem(not blaming him, I'm aware if what it's like to be a "busy man")..but if you guys actually have structure of the who's and how's...it can only get better. :)

Not exactly. I'm a consistent presence at the moment, but we'll see moving forward. Got lots going on in the homestead. I'm always happy to contribute when I can.

Raven
Mar 6th, 2012, 08:02 PM
As someone who just listened to them recently I think one of the cool things was the guests. Getting a chance to hear other forum-mates ideas or craziness was amusing but I also understand that this makes producing the show WAY more complicated-arranging schedules ,editing and such.
As far as NEEDING a second co-host stable or rotating I think it was more a result of chapter 26 not doing a whole lot that might have made it seem to drag on a bit.

Creem_Filling
Mar 6th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I always feel like I piss off Nik... I don't think the podcast is bad, I just always feel like there is something better to be listening to lately. I think that it might be because I feel so distant from the host. They feel like separate entities that are untouchable by us mere mortals, or something. I'm not saying that I wish they would come down to Kansas and hangout with me, because that is weird. I just feel like they interact more with each other and ignore the listeners. I know a podcast like this is just listening to people talking, but the other ones I listen to seem to be more in tune with their audience. I don't like feeling like I'm listening to COMPLETE strangers.

nikvoodoo
Mar 6th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I always feel like I piss off Nik... I don't think the podcast is bad, I just always feel like there is something better to be listening to lately. I think that it might be because I feel so distant from the host. They feel like separate entities that are untouchable by us mere mortals, or something. I'm not saying that I wish they would come down to Kansas and hangout with me, because that is weird. I just feel like they interact more with each other and ignore the listeners. I know a podcast like this is just listening to people talking, but the other ones I listen to seem to be more in tune with their audience. I don't like feeling like I'm listening to COMPLETE strangers.

Not pissed off at all my good sir. I'm sorry if it came across that way. That's why I tried to preface it by saying I know I come off dickish. I wasn't trying to. I already have a low sugarcoat factor and my newborn baby addled brain... Well whatever. Excuses are what they are. My apologies for still coming off douchey.

However! That is a tangible critique just now! The interactivity of the podcast listeners to the hosts is something I could attempt to facilitate even if I don't continue on in any capacity as a regular host. So what do you have in mind? I remember threads used to open prior to recording so forum members could ask questions easier than email/twitter..we can bring those back.

Some kind of new feature maybe like "voicemail" where someone could post a YouTube video asking a question? Maybe something like that?

I know I want to start a contest soon. I'd hoped to finish my own entry as a blueprint first, but I doubt I'll get it done. And just so you know if I was still touring the country and we stopped in Kansas I would definitely drop you a line!

Creem_Filling
Mar 6th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Not pissed off at all my good sir. I'm sorry if it came across that way. That's why I tried to preface it by saying I know I come off dickish. I wasn't trying to. I already have a low sugarcoat factor and my newborn baby addled brain... Well whatever. Excuses are what they are. My apologies for still coming off douchey.

However! That is a tangible critique just now! The interactivity of the podcast listeners to the hosts is something I could attempt to facilitate even if I don't continue on in any capacity as a regular host. So what do you have in mind? I remember threads used to open prior to recording so forum members could ask questions easier than email/twitter..we can bring those back.

Some kind of new feature maybe like "voicemail" where someone could post a YouTube video asking a question? Maybe something like that?

I know I want to start a contest soon. I'd hoped to finish my own entry as a blueprint first, but I doubt I'll get it done. And just so you know if I was still touring the country and we stopped in Kansas I would definitely drop you a line!

No worries, I know you well enough by now that I know what you mean. And you do plenty to keep in touch with the community, even as a mini-host, that's why I like the ones where you are on so much. As for ideas... Yeah, just some way that Britt can get the questions easier would be great. I feel like so much that is said, she doesn't see. Also, community chat things have always been fun. Like, some people I listen to have this chatroom on tinychat they get on all the time to just talk with their fans about stuff, anything. Yes, we have the cb here, but Britt and Greg are never on the forums. Or maybe even something like the playdates. Video games or movies, it doesn't matter. Hell, I feel like I know Kc better than I do Britt and Greg. That's one of the reasons I love WA so much.

Eviebae
Mar 7th, 2012, 09:57 AM
just some way that Britt can get the questions easier would be great.

Like a thread for each episode? A "Put your questions for chapter X here" One for each episode or chapter so it didn't get too long.

Creem_Filling
Mar 7th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Like a thread for each episode? A "Put your questions for chapter X here" One for each episode or chapter so it didn't get too long.

We used to do that, like Nik mentioned, that was a pretty good way.

nikvoodoo
Mar 7th, 2012, 04:04 PM
We used to do that, like Nik mentioned, that was a pretty good way.

Easy enough to restart!

Anyone else have ideas? Especially those disenfranchised from the podcast? If "Bam" was a sore point it's been retired....

cupcakezombie
Mar 8th, 2012, 12:07 PM
For me I like the new stuff. What I think might have changed is that there is less of the funny stuff like the fan growls etc they were great, or more interviews with the actors. Getting that level back up again might be cool.
Also Brit don't change you are awesome!!!!!!!! And I guess you too Nik :p

7oddisdead
Mar 8th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I was listening to 29 again last night and I dunno...i think things are going pretty well.. One things that's kinda neat is, Britt seems to have a feel for the Facebook and other online community's whereas Nik is our forum rep. Kinda creates a nice balance between the two. The thing we forum people should probly keep in mind is... At any given moment there are around 200 (250 as of late) people on the forum...typically only 20-30 of them are registered..so there is a draw to this larger than our close knit group...thats easy to lose sight of...but I love the idea of a chapter questions section...that a: gets our thoughts out there b:possibly gets a few more people to join...sounds pretty awesome to me!

Creem_Filling
Mar 8th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Since no one seems to agree with me, I guess I am an ass-hat! I'm glad this has prompted the revival of the questions section again at least.

7oddisdead
Mar 9th, 2012, 02:19 AM
Since no one seems to agree with me, I guess I am an ass-hat! I'm glad this has prompted the revival of the questions section again at least.

if your an ass-hat young master creem, then your my favorite of the ass-hats! :) i think the majority of us see the concerns you have made...and to a certain extent, agree. don't sweat it bro, they'll get it back to what it once was...hopefully ;)

AdrianHD
Mar 11th, 2012, 02:02 PM
This is a discussion I've had with a few members around here. Personally, I'm kinda on that boat where WND used to be one of my favorites, but I dunno if I can peg it up there anymore.

The guests are fine, it's nice to hear a new voice. Sometimes the new person will be very reclusive, obviously not everyone can jump into the mix so easily, so I can't really blame them. The bigger issue is you need structure in the cast. Three regular hosts would be ideal. Maybe two solid ones if Britt decides to deem Voodoo as her new co-host. I'd say a regular recording time, but I understand that finding times for everyone can be kinda hard. If editing is still an issue with Beez, Skype recorders do pretty well. I've been using one I found for $20 and no complaints on quality on my end.

I'm not saying Britt's not doing well as a host, and I'm not saying that Greg needs to be in it to make it work. Where the show's going right now is great, the editing is awesome, I shouldn't complain. I just know the show's gotten stale for some recently.

CaseyJones
Mar 12th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Some time ago I posted a thread entitles 'Is We're Not Dead, Dead?'
Well Britt and the team have proved that it is very much alive. WND still delivers what it started out to do.
Line-up and format changes will always leave some people cold, and I'm not sure if the number of listeners has increased or decreased, but for me it remains as entertaining as ever, and continues to significantly shorten my regular car journey between London and Wales.
Britt is an excellent host, even though I once compared her to Bambi with an AK47, and Nik would make a superb replacement for Greg as co-host. (as would Beez, once he learns to read.)
You guys just keep doing what you're doing.
For those that think the sparkle has faded, well that is only natural. People's tastes change. Each to their own. Whatever floats your boat. Not necessarily the fault of the podcast though. I'm sure all suggestions for the future direction of WND will be appreciated by Britt and the team, but don't be telling these guys they are getting it wrong. That really is just your opinion, to which you are entitled, but should not be confused with fact. (not aimed at any individual, by the way.)

Adventureless_Hero
Mar 12th, 2012, 06:23 AM
I'm quite happy with the show. In fact ever since Beez started editing and Nik has taken on a role as "consistent entity" I have enjoyed it all the more. I do miss Greg's witty bullshit and the great chemistry he had with Britt (they often had me laughing myself to tears), but I feel the current show is just as strong. As far as structure goes, I really dig it; you have some rapport and a recap of the previous WA episode, then thoughts on said episodes, followed up with some theorizing and member comments, and maybe finished up with some listener e-mails.

It would be cool beans to try to get some more guest cast members on the show, especially during the breaks between chapters. I know it is very difficult getting this podcast out with the cray-zay schedule the hosts have and with all the hullabaloo you do for your job-a-roo, but is there anything that can be done to resolve the release time of the podcast? If it could be released on a consistent date that would be rock ass? Perhaps more folks can share the responsibility of recording it or sumfin?

Other than that, I can't think of anything to improve upon. I really dig the job everyone is doing with the show and like really really, for reals, not bull-chit, appreciate the job you all are doing! You get a super-happy-fun-time thumbs up with rainbows in the background from me!

Blood & Ice Cream
Mar 12th, 2012, 07:14 AM
to me, little needs changing really

- love the self-made intro!
- keep having fan guests and actors/producers from the show on (not necessarily every episode)
- keep the actual quotes from the drama, but edit them so they aren't recorded over the commentary
- keep the fan theories discussion

its a free podcast in the end, therefore the content, schedule and quest slots are not always regular - although i will miss the sexual tension between greg and brit ;)

keep up the good work guys!

beezball
Mar 15th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Oh teh noes!111!m I've ruined the podcast!??

My life is borked.

reaper239
Mar 16th, 2012, 07:19 AM
eviebae mentioned a good idea, all you would need to impliment it is some recoarding software, might i suggest audacity as it is free and open source (not a fan of audacity's layout, but it's hard to beat free). then you do a countdown over skype (everyone would have to use headphones of course) then at zero, everyone hits record. use whatever system you used to skype in to record, export, then bcause of the countdown, and audio cues, editing shouldn't be too difficult. it works in my mind, but without good coordination, it would be difficult to impliment well. it all boils down to coordination. well, that's a simple explenation of a complicated soloution, but, i think eviebae is on to something.

here is skype (not like everyone doesn't already know where to find it, but just covering my bases): http://www.skype.com/

and here is audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

nikvoodoo
Mar 16th, 2012, 07:40 AM
eviebae mentioned a good idea, all you would need to impliment it is some recoarding software, might i suggest audacity as it is free and open source (not a fan of audacity's layout, but it's hard to beat free). then you do a countdown over skype (everyone would have to use headphones of course) then at zero, everyone hits record. use whatever system you used to skype in to record, export, then bcause of the countdown, and audio cues, editing shouldn't be too difficult. it works in my mind, but without good coordination, it would be difficult to impliment well. it all boils down to coordination. well, that's a simple explenation of a complicated soloution, but, i think eviebae is on to something.

here is skype (not like everyone doesn't already know where to find it, but just covering my bases): http://www.skype.com/

and here is audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

For all intents and purposes....that's pretty much what happens. Britt starts a skype conference call, we all start recording, and then as people are introduced you lay their answer into Britt's introduction and everything is lined up perfectly.

The issue has never been lining up the audio tracks. That's the easy part. The harder part is mastering sound levels, eliminating background noises, and that sort of stuff. I say that as someone who hasn't edited the podcast before, but as someone who has cut together radio shows using multiple overlapping sources in the past.

reaper239
Mar 16th, 2012, 07:45 AM
gotcha. i thought you guys did like, one master recording from skype (i don't listen to the show, but was intrigued by the thread for some reason). getting the levels shouldn't be too bad, but getting rid of background noise could be problematic. of course, i've only ever mixed band audio and not a podcast with a lot of talking soooo... yeah.

nikvoodoo
Mar 16th, 2012, 07:54 AM
gotcha. i thought you guys did like, one master recording from skype (i don't listen to the show, but was intrigued by the thread for some reason). getting the levels shouldn't be too bad, but getting rid of background noise could be problematic. of course, i've only ever mixed band audio and not a podcast with a lot of talking soooo... yeah.

It's easy to do in one way, but sorta hard in others. Because there is a lot of down time in each person's individual track you can sample traditional background noise (hum of appliances, air flow etc) and that will give you the profile you can eliminate from the rest of the track. Problem comes when you eliminate those noises, you'll sometimes cut the voice up a bit.

There's obviously issues with people who record incorrectly (I've done this more than once when Audacity forgets my goddamn preferences...) and record lo-fi, or have too hot a mic, or any other assortment of issues.

And now here's the question: Why don't you listen? Give it a try! This week should be a good one :)

beezball
Mar 16th, 2012, 11:55 AM
I actually do all my editing using Sony Acid Pro. I use audacity for pre-editing noise removing and compression. I'm not sure if you haven't listened in a while or what, but I edit my podcast very thoroughly and take out any noticeable skype lag, which is for the most part negligible. Any "delay" you do hear, is actual reaction times, whether someone is just taking their time thinking, or is shocked because someone just mentioned meat and girth. Once you get the initial line up done then you don't normally have any problems throughout the rest of the show. I've easily put in around 1000+ hours editing podcasts, so I consider myself fairly knowledgeable on the subject.

nikvoodoo
Mar 16th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I used to use Cool Edit Pro 2.0 for all audio needs. But then I got a Mac and I wasn't in college anymore to.....

....the statute of limitations for what I may or may not have done to obtain Cool Edit Pro is still in effect so my lawyer has advised me to not continue with this post.

beezball
Mar 16th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I understand... Mucho...

AdrianHD
Mar 16th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I actually do all my editing using Sony Acid Pro. I use audacity for pre-editing noise removing and compression. I'm not sure if you haven't listened in a while or what, but I edit my podcast very thoroughly and take out any noticeable skype lag, which is for the most part negligible. Any "delay" you do hear, is actual reaction times, whether someone is just taking their time thinking, or is shocked because someone just mentioned meat and girth. Once you get the initial line up done then you don't normally have any problems throughout the rest of the show. I've easily put in around 1000+ hours editing podcasts, so I consider myself fairly knowledgeable on the subject.
Noob.

No, the syncing isn't an issue, but yeah, having to cut the down time, fix everyone's audio levels, or figure out a way to balance if people talk over each other (which happens often just because it's Skype) is the main beef of the editing.

beezball
Mar 16th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I do cut down on that down time. as for the talking over each, I re-listen to each of those segments to make sure that they are intelligible, if not, I separate them a little, but I prefer to leave some of that in to make it more organic. It's just my style choice I suppose. Are you talking about recent episodes? As in the last 4?

nikvoodoo
Mar 16th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I do cut down on that down time. Are you talking about recent episodes? As in the last 4?

I don't think it was a critique. I think it was a general observation of what is actually difficult in putting together a podcast like WND.

beezball
Mar 16th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Whoops, facepalm! I was about to say! Was I that bad? lol.

Eviebae
Mar 16th, 2012, 01:45 PM
You know what this podcast needs? Someone with copious downtime. Hours and hours to figure this out and implement it. Okay, maybe just a few hours.

I'll see if I can get the attention of the guys at the HPL podcast to figure it out.

You know who'd I like to hear as a guest? Yarri. More Estrogen to balance the Testosterone.

*Edited to add* Maybe the sticking point isn't the recording but the equipment used to record. Maybe a fund drive for matching microphones is in order.

beezball
Mar 16th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Unless we plan on never having guests again then getting matching mic's isn't an option. I'm not really sure what all the racket is about to be honest.

nikvoodoo
Mar 16th, 2012, 04:01 PM
The mic I want is a kit that will ultimately cost about 220 bucks. I'll take donations.

AdrianHD
Mar 17th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Whoops, facepalm! I was about to say! Was I that bad? lol.

Nono. What voodoo said. Just observing.

The audio isn't a problem, you don't need expensive mics at all.

beezball
Mar 17th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Quite right, I'm very happy with the sound quality of mine. A nice even EQ and only $40. It's actually a Logitech g330 headset.

Eviebae
Mar 17th, 2012, 12:38 PM
You know come to think about it, it was usually Greg's part that bothered me...still I don't see why you couldn't get donations for better mikes or editing software or some such. Kickstarter?

nikvoodoo
Mar 17th, 2012, 12:49 PM
You know come to think about it, it was usually Greg's part that bothered me...still I don't see why you couldn't get donations for better mikes or editing software or some such. Kickstarter?

Nah. Mine will be a tax write off. I'm planning on getting a set up to try some voice over work. So I don't really need me gear for podcasting, but if I get it might as well use it.

flyboy
Apr 9th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I think the main issue with the podcast is the general lack of talent. It seems that more goes into the production than the actual content.

A little charisma would help.

nikvoodoo
Apr 9th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I think the main issue with the podcast is the general lack of talent. It seems that more goes into the production than the actual content.

Well crap....I just canceled my Personality Replacement Therapy Session.......I wonder if I can sneak back in......

Osiris
Apr 9th, 2012, 04:50 PM

Easy there, cowboy. Britt is talented as balls and does a very thankless job. Same goes for Beez. I'll say the same about nik when he stops saying bam or making explosion sounds.

nikvoodoo
Apr 9th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Easy there, cowboy. Britt is talented as balls and does a very thankless job. Same goes for Beez. I'll say the same about nik when he stops saying bam or making explosion sounds.
I Actually retired "bam" at least 3/4 episodes ago. it got very hard to think of new ways to say it.

Osiris
Apr 9th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I Actually retired "bam" at least 3/4 episodes ago. it got very hard to think of new ways to say it.

Just for shits and giggles you should start one with 'Hey, this is nik.' and just wait for that awkward silence. Go in the complete opposite direction and do a very subdued introduction.

Or just yell 'WHERE'S MY PANTS?!! WE'RE STARTING IN A F--oh... hi everyone.'

ComradeNarf
Apr 9th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Now there's a worthy Kickstarter - nik's Podcasting Pants!

nikvoodoo
Apr 10th, 2012, 06:03 AM
I would do the pants thing, but Miller did it first last summer. He did the whole podcast without pants on, and took a picture to prove it..........

.....it....it still haunts me.....

Osiris
Apr 10th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I never paid attention to Miller or anything he did.

Magrat
Apr 13th, 2012, 06:18 AM

British Airways Moniker.
Bam.

I find it interesting that people bring up inconsistent cast when the core group work their arses off to be consistent.
I've always been a fan of WND (even before certain posts I made on the forums were brought up in comments... That was a 'squeeze' moment and a half!) and have yet to hear anything to drive me away. I do like the idea of YouTube audio entries/questions/theories though. There was talk in the early days of emailing in such sound bytes but it kind of fell to the wayside. Would be interesting to see if it's bring-back-able in any usable way.
Aaaaanywho, that's my two cents... for now.

nikvoodoo
Apr 13th, 2012, 06:37 AM
British Airways Moniker.
Bam.

I find it interesting that people bring up inconsistent cast when the core group work their arses off to be consistent.
I've always been a fan of WND (even before certain posts I made on the forums were brought up in comments... That was a 'squeeze' moment and a half!) and have yet to hear anything to drive me away. I do like the idea of YouTube audio entries/questions/theories though. There was talk in the early days of emailing in such sound bytes but it kind of fell to the wayside. Would be interesting to see if it's bring-back-able in any usable way.
Aaaaanywho, that's my two cents... for now.

Here's the only issue we discovered when Adventureless_Hero emailed in his question: We can't have the intended person listen to the question. So posting a youtube question and then sending the link is honestly safer (both to make sure things are accurate and protect Britt's computer from hacker type people).

So if you want your voice heard on WND (relating to a question): Make a you-tube video. Send an email to either werenotdeadpodcast@gmail.com, or to zombiepodnikvoodoo@gmail.com. We'll do what we can to get you on the air in the future. We're still kinda settling in to the new format of Britt, myself, and Beez behind the board. But it might be do-able.

riskbreaker23
Apr 29th, 2012, 04:20 PM
My only problem with the Guests is that they are all very quiet. Other then that, I'm loving the show. I miss Greg Miller because he was entertaining. But so is nik.

Yeah, I have no problems with the show. In fact, I think it's so far the opposite of "boring" that I get REALLY disappointed when the episodes aren't consistent. Through the first season WND was so consistent and awesome. Now it's every other episode is delayed. But I get it... it's free entertainment I enjoy. It's not like all my other podcasts are perfect. In fact... for all the douche bags that give We're Alive a <5 star rating on iTunes or Zune for supposedly not being consistent should go to hell because We're Alive is probably the most consistent podcast I've ever seen. No. In fact, it is THE most consistent podcast I've ever seen.

MenashaCorpse
May 21st, 2012, 07:36 AM
Having listened to the first 33 episodes over the last 3 weeks, my perspective is that the WND podcast is improving. I do miss Greg Miller's spontaneous witticisms, but nikvoodoo provides a lot more content and insight. The mic levels are becoming more consistent than early on, and beez's editing has made everything much smoother than when they started. I would also echo those who have emphasized that this is a free podcast that they all do in their spare time (or lack thereof). <3

VEE
May 21st, 2012, 07:39 AM
I thoroughly enjoy it, and have listened to the last 10, and a few early ones.

Whatever happened to Greg Miller?

nikvoodoo
May 21st, 2012, 07:42 AM
I thoroughly enjoy it, and have listened to the last 10, and a few early ones.

Whatever happened to Greg Miller?

Greg had to step away due to increased responsibilities at IGN.

VEE
May 21st, 2012, 07:44 AM
Funnily enough, having listened the wrong way around, from finish to start, I preferred your particular brand of hosting.

Do we have a kiss-ass smiley?

nikvoodoo
May 21st, 2012, 07:55 AM
Funnily enough, having listened the wrong way around, from finish to start, I preferred your particular brand of hosting.

Do we have a kiss-ass smiley?

Don't think we do. But I appreciate it :)

:love: That might be the closest one.

MenashaCorpse
May 21st, 2012, 08:17 AM
Don't think we do. But I appreciate it :)

:love: That might be the closest one.

I agree; please don't construe my bringing up Mr Miller as anything negative towards you. I love the show as it currently is. <3

Osiris
May 21st, 2012, 08:23 AM
I'm glad the show is the way it is now. Miller was not funny. He was rude.

nikvoodoo
May 21st, 2012, 08:53 AM
I agree; please don't construe my bringing up Mr Miller as anything negative towards you. I love the show as it currently is. <3

I didn't take it that way at all! No worries!

Lukas A.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:05 AM
Oh my lord... Some of you guys have the most ignorant reasons for not liking WND anymore... Scheduling? Come on people... Its not a "professional" podcast, and I'm glad it isn't, its more laid back and I love it that way. Some of u say "oh WND sucks now cuz things keep coming and post pone episodes,don't let real life things effect the podcast." I have two words for... Shit happens, and guys have to be a bit more considerate.. U make me sick...

Mikeyd2tall
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:18 AM
Oh my lord... Some of you guys have the most ignorant reasons for not liking WND anymore... Scheduling? Come on people... Its not a "professional" podcast, and I'm glad it isn't, its more laid back and I love it that way. Some of u say "oh WND sucks now cuz things keep coming and post pone episodes,don't let real life things effect the podcast." I have two words for... Shit happens, and guys have to be a bit more considerate.. U make me sick...
i love it when new people try and be rude :D welcome to the forum dingbat!

Lukas A.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:37 AM
i love it when new people try and be rude :D welcome to the forum dingbat!

yeah... I'm the rude one, sticking up for WND and IM the rude one ...mkay

Mikeyd2tall
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
yeah... I'm the rude one, sticking up for WND and IM the rude one ...mkay
Everyone loves it when someone stands up for the podcasts dude, but not if you trash the other fans in the process. we are all fans. not enemies.

nikvoodoo
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:39 PM
Children...you're both pretty stop fighting. Britt and I love you both just the same.

Now pack your bags. We're going to Disney Land. ;)

Mikeyd2tall
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:42 PM
Children...you're both pretty stop fighting. Britt and I love you both just the same.

Now pack your bags. We're going to Disney Land. ;)
i live in florida! I have been to Disney so many times i could probably draw it!

nikvoodoo
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:38 PM
i live in florida! I have been to Disney so many times i could probably draw it!

Fine......6 Flags.

Mikeyd2tall
Jun 4th, 2012, 11:10 AM
fine......6 flags.
fuck yes :D

Lukas A.
Jun 5th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Hahaha that just made my day!

mem
Jun 7th, 2012, 09:20 AM
This thread makes no sense to me anymore. I shall post something random to make me enjoy it more.

If invisible people invented an invisible ray and used it on themselves, what would happen ?

Lukas A.
Jun 8th, 2012, 09:23 PM
If pinochio says "my nose is about grow" what would happen

riskbreaker23
Jun 10th, 2012, 01:23 AM

Funny thing is I don't see anyone really insulting the podcast. I mentioned that I don't like how inconsistent it is now, but I also added that I understand why it's inconsistent. EVERY PODCAST usually is, with WA being an exception. But that's just feedback, and it's feedback that can be fixed. Now Britt and Nik both have other responsibilities, but is there a way for another set of hosts to act as guests until Britt and Nik can get their crazy stuff (like moving, E3, etc...) out of the way? It's just feedback, not insults.

I say this because you put quotes around what people are supposedly saying when no one said "Oh WND sucks now because blah blah blah." No one said anything remotely close to that. Britt and Nik appreciate feedback, good and bad. Just like KC appreciates feedback. It's how we can improve ourselves in all we do. Britt and Nik know we love them. I actually saw more people singing praises to the new WND versus the first episodes, which is deserved because the new editing format is fantastic.

Creem_Filling
Jun 10th, 2012, 08:53 AM
This is why I didn't want to post this thread! I'm not trying to be a dick at all. I don't have a problem with the podcasts structure. I don't have a problem with scheduling. I don't have a problem with Britt or Nik. I was simply saying that I think the podcast has gotten boring. I told some friends, and they suggested I put it on here to see if I'm the only one. I understand that the guests are nervous, that's not my complaint. It's just some of them are boring. I've been on podcasts, and honestly, I'm a little boring, so I know how that is. I don't wanna make enemies because of this. I love you all.

riskbreaker23
Jun 10th, 2012, 07:32 PM
This is why I didn't want to post this thread! I'm not trying to be a dick at all. I don't have a problem with the podcasts structure. I don't have a problem with scheduling. I don't have a problem with Britt or Nik. I was simply saying that I think the podcast has gotten boring. I told some friends, and they suggested I put it on here to see if I'm the only one. I understand that the guests are nervous, that's not my complaint. It's just some of them are boring. I've been on podcasts, and honestly, I'm a little boring, so I know how that is. I don't wanna make enemies because of this. I love you all.

No one took it like that except maybe that Lukas guy who will only post 3 times and never come back. Feedback is feedback. I'm sure Nik and Brit will listen to it all and see if there's anything they can do to spice it up.

nikvoodoo
Jun 10th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I don't wanna make enemies because of this. I love you all.

Too late. Imma hate you forever and for always meany head.

I'm just gonna go....bite my pillow. You all are bastard people!!!!

;)

VEE
Jun 11th, 2012, 12:25 AM
I'm just gonna go....bite my pillow.

Got a friend round tonight then :O

Seriously though, I like the podcast, it has a sense of fun about at and if things don't always run smoothly, well that's part of it's charm. Personally I'd like to have a listen to the podcast output of anybody who complains, just for comparison.

Cheers

Vee

L0ST_V3GAS
Jun 12th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Not to beat a dead horse but I just had to stop listening to episode #38 because the guest segment is too painful. Dillon - I'm sure you're a cool guy to have a beer with and would love to buy some of your t-shirts so don't take it personally.

PLEASE rethink the guests! Otherwise no complaints ;-)

uuhhhuuu
Jun 12th, 2012, 10:42 PM
need Greg and Brit on for the next episode.

Osiris
Jun 13th, 2012, 12:24 AM
If I had my table flip jpeg handy, it would be in this post.

suga
Jun 13th, 2012, 08:18 AM
I enjoy the podcast, gives another view at things that maybe I missed. However the gentleman that was on #38 made it hard to listen too. Not sure if he was nervous or what, but he was non-responsive at times and stuttering at others. If he was just nervous, then invite him back, he appeared to have good ideas and facts. Otherwise keep up the good work.