PDA

View Full Version : The Gulf of America

Adventureless_Hero
Feb 9th, 2012, 02:12 PM
State Representative Steve Holland of Mississippi introduced a Bill in which he proposes the name of the Gulf of Mexico be changed to the Gulf of America. I'm curious to see what you all think. It seems ridiculous to change it's name but on the other hand a great portion of the gulf is bordered by America soil.

Story from Fox News (http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2012/02/09/mississippi-lawmaker-pushes-for-gulf-mexico-to-be-changed-to-gulf-america/)

But State Rep. Holland claims it was a joke meant to mock anti-immigration legislation.

Story from Associated Press (http://www.cbs12.com/news/mississippi-4738728-gulf-holland.html)

Whether it was a joke or not, I don't know for sure.

[EDIT]
Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/09/gulf-of-america-mexico-steve-holland_n_1265834.html)

Hellbringer
Feb 9th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I'm still dealing with the Persian Gulf/Arabian Gulf thing. Growing up, it was always the Persian Gulf; ever since we invaded Iraq, I've heard Arabian Gulf. I guess for "old fogeys" like me, once you have a name in place, you either refuse to change the name or slowly come around to the popular way of saying the name. (I'm dealing with that issue on a building at work right now).

Personally, I don't care of someone wants to call the southern sea area "the Gulf of Spill Oil". It's always going to be the Gulf of Mexico to me.

nikvoodoo
Feb 9th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Along the same lines......Fuck you scientists! Pluto is still a goddamned planet!

mem
Feb 9th, 2012, 04:04 PM
The Gulf of Americans and soon to be Americans illegal or otherwise

reaper239
Feb 11th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Along the same lines......Fuck you scientists! Pluto is still a goddamned planet!

dude, it melts every time it comes close to the sun (close being a relative term) every time it swings in past neptune it gets a little smaller. that is not a planet.

nikvoodoo
Feb 11th, 2012, 06:49 AM
dude, it melts every time it comes close to the sun (close being a relative term) every time it swings in past neptune it gets a little smaller. that is not a planet.

you missed the point of my joke.

reaper239
Feb 13th, 2012, 05:57 AM

:meh:

itsallgoodie
Feb 13th, 2012, 06:19 AM

Its a hell of a lot bigger than I am, and its floating in space, and its a relative sphere. Its a planet.

nikvoodoo
Feb 13th, 2012, 07:29 AM

The point was simply that people grow up with certain facts and will resist changes of any kind regardless of how factually based they are.

Renaming the Gulf of Mexico to the Gulf of America is probably one of those things. Personally, I say leave it as it is....unless you want to stimulate the classroom globe and map insdustries.....which of course are all made in China anyway......so.....yeah. Nevermind.

reaper239
Feb 13th, 2012, 11:11 AM

Hellbringer
Feb 13th, 2012, 04:53 PM
The point was simply that people grow up with certain facts and will resist changes of any kind regardless of how factually based they are.

me! me! me! I swing that way because I am stubborn, but in some aspects I feel I have to be. Especially when it comes to nutritional information and research.

Pluto will always be a planet to me, but I'm not a teacher, and I won't be corrupting today's youth with personal opinions and theories. My wife constantly reminds me that I would make a terrible teacher, contrary to what my co-workers and such tell me.

Wait, I have to reel myself in. I don't need to be going on a one-way trip to Tangent Island, population: crustier folks than I.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 28th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Tomatoe's aren't f'n fruit either... WTF puts apples in a taco?? If'n it goes hand in hand with ketchup, it a veggie. This is my protest sine Pluto isn't a planet anymore!

mem
Feb 28th, 2012, 07:39 AM
I think that we can all agree that tomatoes arent a fruit or a vegetable. They are actually a sentient intelligence from the PLANET Pluto and they were sent here to assimilate our intelligence by allowing us to consume them. Sadly they realized we were on track to destroy ourselves so they are just here hanging out and enjoying the reat climate until we do. Somewhere in one of the hollow earth caverns lives the grand tomato who oversees all. It's just a matter of time. And....yes the tomatoes have a zombie plot cooked up as well. Be afraid kids. be very afraid.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 28th, 2012, 08:13 AM
I think that we can all agree that tomatoes arent a fruit or a vegetable. They are actually a sentient intelligence from the PLANET Pluto and they were sent here to assimilate our intelligence by allowing us to consume them. Sadly they realized we were on track to destroy ourselves so they are just here hanging out and enjoying the reat climate until we do. Somewhere in one of the hollow earth caverns lives the grand tomato who oversees all. It's just a matter of time. And....yes the tomatoes have a zombie plot cooked up as well. Be afraid kids. be very afraid.

Double ROFL.. again, to the Flames with you with your R.L Stine meets Lovecraft theory.