PDA

View Full Version : Negative & Positive Title YOU Identify With

HorrorHiro
Jan 22nd, 2012, 10:44 AM
I personally Identify with things that usually have a negative meaning for most people like Hipster, Indie, Anarchist, Punk, Rebel, Hippie etc. I was wondering what the rest of the WA fan base identify as, and is it something that is usually negative to most people? Is it usually positive? Neither and or all of the above?

mathuect
Jan 22nd, 2012, 11:59 AM
I have been called goth on a couple occasions, though not recently. I have been called hipster on occasion. I do not identify myself as any of these as I am a person, not a label. I will throw in gay, but I am not sure how to categorize it. There are people who see it as negative, and there are those that see it as neither. Some wackos see it as positive, i like those people ha. Really labels go to separate people so I avoid them when I can. Bring people together, dont divide them into groups.

HorrorHiro
Jan 22nd, 2012, 12:41 PM
Agreed, I don't like putting labels on people. But it's so ingrained in American society on so many levels. But nobody questions it and very few people see anything wrong with it...sadly.

reaper239
Jan 23rd, 2012, 04:11 AM
i've been categorized as an ass before. i guess that's bad, but i'm so far down the line of not caring anymore that it doesn't bother me. right wing nut job has also come, but when i explain to them that center as held by the founders it gives them pause. then they go back to calling me a right wing nut job, but from a distance that i can't really talk to them. i will say this: "labels" are an integral part of any society as they aid the citizenry in finding like minded individuals. for instance, hiro: do you seek people who share your veiws on society, religion, and politics? if yes, how do you find them? do you walk up to random people and ask them their political views, or do you look for people who label themselves with words that imply that they hold similar beliefs to yours? the key here is wether we are willing to look beyond the labels to the people who bare them. for instance, i have several clever (or at least i like to think so) patches on my vest that i wear (i am a biker after all) but i am more than the sum of those clever political statements, i wear those patches as conversation starters, so people can read them and instantly get an idea as to my political persuasion. a conversation can then start from "hey, that's pretty funny, but so true." "oh, well let me also tell you about...".

edit: let me also say that i was not calling hiro out, i used him as an example because i already know he is an anarchist and was originally going to mention that, but then decided not to. on a reread, it sounded like that might have been an attack, so i wanted to make it clear that it was not.

Solanine
Jan 23rd, 2012, 04:40 AM
Nerd mostly. Too which I reply "F*** yeah I'm a Nerd, better than a douchebag!"

Adventureless_Hero
Jan 23rd, 2012, 06:35 AM
Nerd mostly. Too which I reply "F*** yeah I'm a Nerd, better than a douchebag!"

It's not nerd. The proper term is Intellectual Badass. ;)

I've been labeled as a hippie, Buddhist, alcoholic, nerd. But in truth I'm just a peaceful Pagan.

Adventureless_Hero
Jan 23rd, 2012, 06:52 AM
hey, i know some pagans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagan's_Motorcycle_Club), they are not peaceful people. ;)

Maybe not them, but I certainly am.

Modern Paganism (http://www.paganlibrary.com/introductory/modern_paganism.php) Number six at the bottom of the page says it all.

Oh, another title that has often been applied to me, dork.

reaper239
Jan 23rd, 2012, 07:12 AM
reading that made me think ofa quote i heard once. i was talking to someone about radical-hug-trees-let-dogs-vote-meat-is-murder activists and he said, "the only way to truly not adversely affect the environmet is to not exist." i loled. i then went on to use this argument against someone from peta and the implications of this idea (you living kills animals) and made him leave his own protest. i considered it a personal victory.

also (http://glossynews.com/society/201001070305/activists-missing-after-declaring-war-on-leather-at-motorcycle-rally/) and they got lucky, if they'd hit a deadhead cut, they wouldn't be living anymore.

Solanine
Jan 23rd, 2012, 07:26 AM
It's not nerd. The proper term is Intellectual Badass. ;)

I've been labeled as a hippie, Buddhist, alcoholic, nerd. But in truth I'm just a peaceful Pagan.

Some of the smartest people I know are Nerds. Intellectually diffrent is the way I'd put it. After all Mensa is mostly made of people who can rattle on a bout the standard model all day but can't make small talk to save their lives.

Adventureless_Hero
Jan 23rd, 2012, 07:28 AM
reading that made me think ofa quote i heard once. i was talking to someone about radical-hug-trees-let-dogs-vote-meat-is-murder activists and he said, "the only way to truly not adversely affect the environmet is to not exist." i loled. i then went on to use this argument against someone from peta and the implications of this idea (you living kills animals) and made him leave his own protest. i considered it a personal victory.

also (http://glossynews.com/society/201001070305/activists-missing-after-declaring-war-on-leather-at-motorcycle-rally/) and they got lucky, if they'd hit a deadhead cut, they wouldn't be living anymore.

LOL! That article was awesome. Yeah, some folks take it to extremes. Wearing leather makes sense especially if you ride a motorcycle. I've seen douchebags on crotch rockets eat it and they were riding squid (no leather) resulting in a case of roadrash that, by comparison, would make Chunk from Goonies look attractive. Anygay, I get so upset with humanity sometimes that I wish a great deal of the population would be wiped out (contradictory to my pagan beliefs, I know, but label me a contradictory person among those others labels I listed). The problem would be how do you go about choosing which part of the population should survive a mass extinction?

The way I see it, yeah, we affect the environment, but it affects us too. We just have to try to be responsible about it and find a balance.

Dude, Reaper, have you noticed we have a tendency to "hog" threads? Maybe that ought to be a label for us, "has-to-have-the-last-word".

reaper239
Jan 23rd, 2012, 07:38 AM
yes (last word). nah, i just have a lot to say, to anyone who will listen. it's not our fault no one else speaks up. it's not my fault, someone put a wall in my way (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTNR8OVKQhs).

HorrorHiro
Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:22 AM
hey, i know some pagans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagan's_Motorcycle_Club), they are not peaceful people. ;)
Would you be very peaceful if somebody stole your shit and got popular off of it? (I'm talking about Christianity in case you couldn't tell.)

HorrorHiro
Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:39 AM
(Out of curiosity) Reaper, would you say that MC's outlaw or not are declining? I mean in America at least because MC's are really popular in other parts of the world like Australia (and from what I'v heard they aren't as fascist as bigoted there, even the outlaw mc's apparently.) And would you say that it has become harder for MC's (again outlaw or not) to recruit young people? Especially the outlaw mc's in my mind at least just considering that when they try to recruit people they have competition like the Drug Cartels, the much more organized gangs of today, the once again rising crime family's etc.

HorrorHiro
Jan 23rd, 2012, 01:06 PM
not really, i think it depends on the location. for instance, the local Titans MC chapter is made up of mostly men in their 20s and 30s. SBCs (Sport Bike Clubs) have risen in popularity as more young people gravitate to crotch rockets, but MCs cater to a certain section of society. Warrior Brotherhood MC caters to vets: for vets by vets. 1% clubs have really toned down their outright illegal activity and they don't go to war as often as they used to (in the 80s and 90s bodies dropped constantly between the major 1% crews) so that helps to draw people as well. MCs appeal to a persons desire to be a part of something, it offers a brotherhood that you can't find many other places, and MCs are kind of hereditary. some places the MCs are more underground, some places they aren't in certain parts of texas the Bandidos will run any other colors they see off the road, so you don't see alot of club colors around there. as far as clubs in other countries not being as bigoted, i think that's kind of a myth. the Hells Angels are all white, all the time.

Hmm, so most if not all MC's are just like any other group, organization, team, whatever you wanna call it? Just a group for people who want to be apart of something, right? Like how kids might join or start youth gangs to be apart of something bigger than themselves? Oh and Are there any female MC's? I'm only wondering because there are entirely female gangs, some cartels are made up of mostly young gun and drug running females, and I know that MC's are generally very western world traditionalist organizations that normally see women as lesser to men. And are there any notable black MC's? I know the "West-Side Rollers" (I think that's the name) gang gained some infamy in California for some members being arrested being arrested after a shootout with a rival set of the Bloods gang but they identify as a gang not an MC and they are multi-racial.

Sorry for all the questions, I don't know why I expect you to be like the human Wikipedia for motorcycle clubs :P

reaper239
Jan 23rd, 2012, 02:02 PM
Hmm, so most if not all MC's are just like any other group, organization, team, whatever you wanna call it? Just a group for people who want to be apart of something, right? Like how kids might join or start youth gangs to be apart of something bigger than themselves? Oh and Are there any female MC's? I'm only wondering because there are entirely female gangs, some cartels are made up of mostly young gun and drug running females, and I know that MC's are generally very western world traditionalist organizations that normally see women as lesser to men. And are there any notable black MC's? I know the "West-Side Rollers" (I think that's the name) gang gained some infamy in California for some members being arrested being arrested after a shootout with a rival set of the Bloods gang but they identify as a gang not an MC and they are multi-racial.

Sorry for all the questions, I don't know why I expect you to be like the human Wikipedia for motorcycle clubs :P

no problem, i'll answer what i can. in a sense yes, MCs are just like any other group for people who want to be a part of something. where they tend to differ is that MCs have an extensive process to join. first you have to hang around which, as the name implies, involes just showing up to events and such. then you have to prospect through three stages: bottom rocker, top rocker, probation. you get the bottom rocker when you are asked to prospect. as a prospect you're treated worse than the hangaround. you're given all the lowest work to do: take out the trash, get me a beer, wash the bikes, sweep the floor, unclog the toilet, etc. you are reffered to as "prospect" and you have not rights in the club. after a sufficient time, you get the top rocker. now you are still a prospect, but you are one step closer to patching in. after a certain amount of time you get your center patch. now you are a member with all the benefits and rights that entails, but typically there is still a 3-6 month probation period, during which your colors can be yanked for almost any small infraction. after that you're good.

yes there are female MCs, but they have to have a W in front of the MC. WMCs are typically comprised of the old ladies of MC members. they're not usually outlaw per say,but they will support the men in... whatever, illegal or not. the way inter-club politics work is kind of complicated. take the baltimore area. b-more is run by the angels, so if you want to run colors in or around b-more, you have to ask them. there is a dominant club and then there are support clubs. so the titans and devils bargain all have the angels blessing to run colors, and they are angels support clubs. having the dominant clubs blessing however does not neccesarily make you a support club. rugged cross MC is not outlaw and so doesn't do business in the same circle. they are neutral and don't count as a support club. warrior brotherhood is the same way.

buffalo soldiers is an all black MC for black veterans. there are some that are multiracial, for instance RCMC and WBMC would both welcome multi-racial members, despite the fact that neither have any. race is very devisive in the MC world so while some non-outlaw clubs would allow members of other races, no outlaw clubs would, that i know of. i kind of enjoy this, if you have more questions, bring 'em. i can't garuntee that i can answer them, but i can garuntee that i'll enjoy trying.

HorrorHiro
Jan 23rd, 2012, 02:55 PM
no problem, i'll answer what i can. in a sense yes, MCs are just like any other group for people who want to be a part of something. where they tend to differ is that MCs have an extensive process to join. first you have to hang around which, as the name implies, involes just showing up to events and such. then you have to prospect through three stages: bottom rocker, top rocker, probation. you get the bottom rocker when you are asked to prospect. as a prospect you're treated worse than the hangaround. you're given all the lowest work to do: take out the trash, get me a beer, wash the bikes, sweep the floor, unclog the toilet, etc. you are reffered to as "prospect" and you have not rights in the club. after a sufficient time, you get the top rocker. now you are still a prospect, but you are one step closer to patching in. after a certain amount of time you get your center patch. now you are a member with all the benefits and rights that entails, but typically there is still a 3-6 month probation period, during which your colors can be yanked for almost any small infraction. after that you're good.

yes there are female MCs, but they have to have a W in front of the MC. WMCs are typically comprised of the old ladies of MC members. they're not usually outlaw per say,but they will support the men in... whatever, illegal or not. the way inter-club politics work is kind of complicated. take the baltimore area. b-more is run by the angels, so if you want to run colors in or around b-more, you have to ask them. there is a dominant club and then there are support clubs. so the titans and devils bargain all have the angels blessing to run colors, and they are angels support clubs. having the dominant clubs blessing however does not neccesarily make you a support club. rugged cross MC is not outlaw and so doesn't do business in the same circle. they are neutral and don't count as a support club. warrior brotherhood is the same way.

buffalo soldiers is an all black MC for black veterans. there are some that are multiracial, for instance RCMC and WBMC would both welcome multi-racial members, despite the fact that neither have any. race is very devisive in the MC world so while some non-outlaw clubs would allow members of other races, no outlaw clubs would, that i know of. i kind of enjoy this, if you have more questions, bring 'em. i can't garuntee that i can answer them, but i can garuntee that i'll enjoy trying.

(Again out of curiosity) are there any notable conflicts/wars between rival MC's and or other groups that are recent? I know about the whole Mongols/Hells Angels thing. But other than that nothing. And how exactly would/do MC's go about conducting and fighting these wars and conflicts? I mean something tells me the way to organized gangs would fight a war with each other is rather different then how an MC would.

reaper239
Jan 25th, 2012, 03:56 AM
not really, i mean there are only so many ways to go about killing people while avoiding the cops. basically, if you see the enemy, kill them. as far as notable recent conflicts, the big 4 outlaw MCs are: the Hells Angels, Bandidos (oddly not latino but white with no latinos), Pagans, and Outlaws. there is an ongoing rivalry between all four, but to my knowledge there is no ongoing dispute. of course you never ride through enemy territory with your colors on because that will get you killed.

Solanine
Jan 25th, 2012, 02:24 PM
So reaper, i didn't quite catch it, are you part of a MC?

reaper239
Jan 26th, 2012, 06:27 AM
i am, i am a member of Rugged Cross MC

Solanine
Jan 27th, 2012, 02:21 PM
i am, i am a member of Rugged Cross MC

Must be one of the less infamous ones then, as i've never heard of it.

Ogre
Jan 28th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Ogre, although I didn't get the name for my size it eventually become the defining thing. A lot of people who meet me for the first time have problems calling me "Ogre" because they think it's too negative. Ironically I *hate* being called "Big Man" or "Big Guy" or "Tiny" and the usual gallery of those types of names.