PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughts on the Big Rigs..

Satanic Mechanic
Dec 27th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Hi Gang, It might be a little bold to start a thread on my first post, but since I work on big trucks while listening to WA, that aspect of the story made me think. First off, I think they have done a really great job so far. The first real rig was the tanker at the fuel depot, and I like how Burt had to struggle a bit with it and " it took him a really long time to back it up". (side note: if you are ever in that same situation, the back up alarm is a little black box mounted to the frame of the truck in the rear, just tear off one of the two wires going to it) Also Burt is driving it and misses and shift or something, and says " It's not me, this truck..." that is classic, I would have been disappointed if any random character just hopped in a truck and drove like a pro. I'm surprised the mallers had that many drivers, but I guess they had time to train.
Next is the fire truck, like they said, fire trucks almost never have keys, just a big start switch. Also they are always full of water, unless they are fighting or have just fought a fire. You'll never see an empty one. Although not all trucks have tanks and pumps. I can't speculate on how difficult it was for Riley to engage the PTO and the pump since there are many different designs, but despite the smoke and zombies, it should be somewhat simple to figure out the valves since many are color coded. So the nozzle on the front might have a green band on it, and at the control valves one will say front, and be green. One on the left side, red, with a matching red valve and such. Just if you find you self in that situation.
So far the only flaw i saw was throwing a can of diesel fuel on the ground and shooting it to make it blow up. not gonna happen. if you throw a lit match into a puddle of diesel, it will go out. So mix some gasoline into the diesel to get it burning, and some liquid dish soap to make it stick to stuff. I'm just sayin.

Thanks to the writers for such a great story.
let me know if any one wants a How to drive Big Rigs 101 post, since really, aren't we all imagining ourselves in the story?

nikvoodoo
Dec 27th, 2011, 08:34 PM
So far the only flaw i saw was throwing a can of diesel fuel on the ground and shooting it to make it blow up. not gonna happen. if you throw a lit match into a puddle of diesel, it will go out. So mix some gasoline into the diesel to get it burning, and some liquid dish soap to make it stick to stuff. I'm just sayin.

Thanks to the writers for such a great story.
let me know if any one wants a How to drive Big Rigs 101 post, since really, aren't we all imagining ourselves in the story?

Welcome! Excellent first post.

You are correct that shooting gas cans won't make them go boom. That's why they used the flare to light them up. It has it's own fuel and can burn under all types of conditions. The disel can't just put out a flare like it could a match.....

....it also in theory shouldn't have exploded the way it did either I don't think.....but meh. It Was an awesome moment.

Kc
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:33 PM
You are correct that shooting gas cans won't make them go boom. That's why they used the flare to light them up. It has it's own fuel and can burn under all types of conditions. The disel can't just put out a flare like it could a match.....

....it also in theory shouldn't have exploded the way it did either I don't think.....but meh. It Was an awesome moment.
Yes... and it didn't so much blow up as it did fireball the area, but none the less, it wasn't entirely accurate.

And the Firetruck department... I had help. I talked with someone who drove them for 25 years. If I have some big rig questions, I'll throw them your way :)

nikvoodoo
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:26 AM
True...l just relistened. It was more of a woosh than a boom.

Satanic Mechanic
Dec 29th, 2011, 07:58 PM
totally forgot about the flare

panzerfaust
Dec 29th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Make a blog about the big rigs ill be reading it if u do

Satanic Mechanic
Dec 31st, 2011, 01:32 PM
ok I'll do that, I can cover operating trucks as well as some heavy equipment, like loaders and dozers. Plus lots of other tricks, like hotwiring the stuff. First I need to get caught up on this forum and read through the other blogs, just see see what's been covered. And I should figure out loading pictures too.

nikvoodoo
Dec 31st, 2011, 10:11 PM
ok I'll do that, I can cover operating trucks as well as some heavy equipment, like loaders and dozers. Plus lots of other tricks, like hotwiring the stuff. First I need to get caught up on this forum and read through the other blogs, just see see what's been covered. And I should figure out loading pictures too.

Pictures are easy. Use the [ img ] tags and insert the web address of the picture you want to use. you can also load directly from your computer if you're so inclined.

Getting a blog is a process covered here :) (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?1280-Blogging-Fan-Fiction-Submission-Guidelines)

TundraScout
Jan 1st, 2012, 08:36 AM
Great PAW survival skill to offer! The more we know, the better we can deal (now where did I hear that?). I learned to drive a broken down late '50's rig while in the National Guard in the '80's, but have forgotten since. Learned when convoying up to camp. Was certified for the old M35 (deuce and a half), but somehow got assigned a rig. Motor pool chief pencil-whipped the M35 onto my license and said "Get driving!" No clue where the fuel tank switch was, so ran out of fuel of course. Partner was afraid to drive it, so I did the 8am to 3am shift to Fort McCoy - hope America slept well with me at the wheel!

Satanic Mechanic
Jan 4th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Well I doubt you could have broken anything on that beast! Thanks for your service.....thanks Nikvoodoo, I'll try that link

mem
Jan 5th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Maybe in the world of WA, Diesel is more explosive than rocket fuel. Maybe chickens can do the electric slide. We never know. :rolleyes:
.....or do we?

Satanic Mechanic
Jan 7th, 2012, 02:25 PM
the tower 's burning, biters are closing in, gunfire all around, now focus and figure this out!

Bray
Jan 17th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Cut the red one!