PDA

View Full Version : Is the Walking Dead Copying We're Alive?

Cabbage Patch
Nov 17th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Has anyone else noticed that a lot of scenes in the new season of The Walking Dead have already happened in We're Alive?

Here are some examples:
• Our survivors solve their water shortage by finding a delivery truck full of water bottles; The TWD survivors find a delivery truck full of water bottles.
• Our survivors plan to relocate to Fort Irwin. The TWD survivors are headed to Fort Benning.
• Skittles says, "Behemoths aren't fast, but they don't get tired, like we do"; Rick Grimes says "They don't get winded, I do".

I know there are more. So, do great minds just think alike, or is someone at TWD copying WA?

nikvoodoo
Nov 17th, 2011, 11:43 PM
There's only so much you can do within the zombie genre without reinventing the wheel.

I'd wager that any similarity is coincidental and when you think about it, We're Alive draws some small coincidental things from other zombie productions. Kc was asked this question on facebook where someone suggested (somewhat aggresively) that Kc sue the producers of Walking Dead for plagerism. He said it was probably coincidental though he hasn't seen it (so he doesn't get influenced himself).

GeneTwo
Nov 18th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Well... when the sparkly zombies start showing up - I'm outta here.

mem
Nov 18th, 2011, 06:12 AM
also
Zombies bite non zombies.
Non zombies try to stay out of the way of Zombies.
Random papers and debris are scattered on the roadways.
Infrastructure shuts down.
People began to scavenge and travel away from the home they knew in search of a place of greater safety.

mem
Nov 18th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Well... when the sparkly zombies start showing up - I'm outta here.

They look fabulous. Ow one of the sparkly ones bit me !
GROWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

reaper239
Nov 18th, 2011, 06:31 AM
i agree with nik, there are only so many places you can find water once infrastructure shuts down, military bases are natural magnets for survivors for multiple reasons, and why would zombies get tired? you could probably find the same similarities in the Time-of-Day of the Dead series, but we all know that romero didn't copy KC (nor, i suspect, did KC copy romero) even if you take away the zombies, any time there is a massive collapse of society, you see survivors acting the same way. for real examples, look at the aftermath of katrina, or the earthquake in haiti.

Wicked Sid
Nov 18th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Another example of a great idea that was expanded upon, though it was W.A. that did the expanding, Left 4 Dead's specialized zombies. You could argue that something else came first (ex. Resident Evil) but, L4D really took it to the mainstream perspective.

In conclusion, We're Alive stole from other things! Oh no!

It really sounds worse than it is due to it being a really great idea. A lot of great things copy and improve upon other great things, that is how they stay great (its almost like Natural Selection!).

Solanine
Nov 18th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Were TWD comics not released before WA? Anyway multiple authors are bound to come up with similar survival techniques/ scenario's. In biology its called convergent evolution and involves species in similar environments with no common ancestor developing the same or similar adaptions. A good zombie production should only ever be 40% about the surviving and 60% about the characters. The human side of post apocalyptic fiction is so much more interesting or so me and east texas believe. ( yes that was a steven king reference)

nikvoodoo
Nov 18th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Were TWD comics not released before WA?

They were. But the TV series and the Comics diverge from each other fairly significantly in some instances. So they are two different entities unto themselves even though they are under the same banner.

abayarts
Nov 18th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I never compare any zombie fiction to another because you'll find so many similarities. It's nice that we have various mediums that you can choose from to get your zombie fix. I list to We're Alive, Play Dead Island or L4D, and watch and read 2 different universe for The Walking Dead.

mem
Nov 21st, 2011, 10:54 AM
If i had a banner it would read "Please do not tease the mem!"

Solanine
Nov 22nd, 2011, 01:23 PM
Mem, is everything ok? You seem to be losing concentration and just commenting any old crap on any post. Is the chat box that barren now?