PDA

View Full Version : "Criminal Minds" from a Horror perspective

Pteranodon
Nov 17th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I'm not exactly a 'fan' of this show, but I wanna compare opinions with other people who are into Horror (plus I need to vent)

Let me put it this way- I'm no newbie to the Horror genre, I've been STEEPED in horror, gore, terror, and violence (fictitious of course) for decades- my long 'search' has turned up some of the most shockingly horrible ideas ever to cross the imaginations of man.

But this show is TOO MUCH for me. I've been in movie theaters where HALF the audience walked out cause it was too scary- I sat through Takashi Miike's "Imprint" without looking away even once- but twice thus far I just couldn't make it through Criminal Minds! Yes, I'm talking about the same "Criminal Minds" with the guy from Dharma and Greg. The show that's on the local wholesome, family-oriented network...

It's dressed as a cop show, with handsome young people in well-lit offices, but try to look at it from a Horror perspective: really look at it- if it were sold as 'horror' they could never get away with half of the stuff that happens on it; autopsies in full view, EXTREME violence, EXTREME sadism (and I mean sadism that puts Saw to shame!), severed heads, 'Walking Dead' levels of gore etc etc. Tonight's show (almost certainly a rerun) I watched a psychiatrist BURY A WOMAN ALIVE cause it was her greatest phobia. WHAT!?! How is that 'wholesome' TV?

But because it's 'Greg' and it's not labeled 'Horror' they get past the censors and the nannies- and people who would NEVER watch some sick, lurid horror movie are enthralled by this nightmarish show.

Why does the label make so much difference? It's not only Criminal Minds- I know someone who refuses to ever watch Texas Chainsaw of any other 'slasher' movie....but she loves Torchwood. Well, if you've seen the TW episode 'Countrycide' you've seen something worse than any Texas Chainsaw or Friday 13th movie. But Torchwood is "Sci-Fi" not "horror"...and CM is just good-old cops and robbers, NOT some sleazy horror show where they show severed heads and people get buried alive....

More proof that the Nannies and Censors of the world are NOT impartial- the LABEL makes all the diffrence...
Slap a 'Horror' label on something and suddenly you've got to tame it down for the kiddies...

reaper239
Nov 18th, 2011, 06:41 AM
or we could do away with the nannies and censors and let the people decide what to watch. it's up to parents to stop their kids from playing M games or watching R movies. i'm not saying do away with the labels, because that helps people decide what they want to watch and what they feel is appropriate, i'm saying do away FCC and let the stations run what they want. i garuntee you that when people stop watching a station because of what they air, the stations will make a change. let the peoples viewership set the levels.

Pteranodon
Nov 18th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Well, the public airwaves should protect the kiddies- I'm kinda pointing out the double standard that the Horror genre has to contend with. A non-horror show can be full of gore and sadism, but the same exact scenes would be 'censored' from a horror movie cause they're "too intense" once the horror label is applied, or cut before it even reached the theaters.