PDA

View Full Version : The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Creem_Filling
Oct 28th, 2011, 07:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1AenlOEXao
Who else is excited? I've never been more excited for a game in my life, and am pumped. Needless to say, I will virtually disappear on 11-11-11.

Creem_Filling
Nov 14th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Clearly, this normally excellent community wasn't excited for, what I think to be, the greatest game ever. It has pushed my favourite game of ten or so years out of the prime spot. Just sayin'.

Game On,

Creemy

Grognaurd
Nov 14th, 2011, 12:52 PM
cool beans, I thought about grabbing it this weekend. I downloaded parts 1, 2 and 3 of the demonstration on xbox live. Maybe I will pick it up tonight and fire it up or just wait and grab it with Halo later this week. Oh, man, I am so old. I remember when Halo was to be a RTS rather than a FPS and it was for the Mac, not PC or xbox.

Creem_Filling
Nov 14th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Lol. This is definitely worth the money. And I played Halo when it first came out, and loved it. But I was 8 at the time, so the whole video game world was still but a vague dream for me, so I never looked at any such news.

Wicked Sid
Nov 14th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I've already picked up the Collector's Edition of Skyrim. Also, I am playing it at this very moment. It is nothing short of amazing.

Goddamn, I love my new big, unwieldy, gotta put things in the closet to display but is still so incredibly awesome that it makes my friends jealous Dragon.
The art book and DVD are also awesome.

Ra1th
Nov 14th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Ok so i gotta say, I hate bethesda games.

Morrowind: FUCK YOU! because I went on a quest outside the city, and i couldn't find the city, THEN after like 2 hours I find the city but then I can't find the damn entrance to the city, so I circle around the thing for a good 30 minutes and by then I'm over it...

Oblivion: Things were going good at first... and then I got lost in a sewer for an hour or two and I was over it.

Fallout 3: Instead of going left to Megaton I went in the wrong direction and I got destroyed.

So I guess the main point here is that I hate, (and suck) at Bethesda games, but I liked RPGs like Mass Effect and Fable. Anyway I wasn't all that hyped for skyrim. Then I got some free time for once and I decided to redbox COD MW3, but they didn't have it so I thought I'd give Skyrim a try and figure out why I hate that game too. And then I started playing and I didn't get stuck, I didn't get lost and I didn't die a billion times. And at first I thought, hmm this isn't bad, but then 12 hours later, I was still playing and I couldn't stop, so now, Skyrim is my new Game of the year, sorry Arkham City. I gotta go buy this game soon.

Ra1th
Nov 14th, 2011, 07:33 PM
So what are you guys playing as? I'm going with a dark elf, warrior for close up/mage for long distance type.

Also Vampirism blows! I got it, and I ignored it, and now people attack me for no reason, and i have to go on this long quest to cure it, BUT I CAN'T BECAUSE A MOB OF PEOPLE CHASE AFTER ME WHEREVER I GO! sighhh

Creem_Filling
Nov 14th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I have the Collector's Edition too! It's so worth the money. And I'm playing as a male Khajiit, assassin. Knives only. I'm gonna try to get werewolfism, just for the sweet irony of being a cat dog.

Creem_Filling
Nov 14th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Also, I completely agree that Skyrim is going to be game of the year. Easy. But I loved all those other Bethesda games, I enjoy when a game is big enough you can get lost in it.

Wicked Sid
Nov 14th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I always have been quite adept at making great all around characters, because I'm greedy and I want to do everything, so I have a High elf Battle-Storm/Fire Mage-Ninja-Archer. I throw down runes, use some potions, fire off a few chain lightnings and then my ebony battle-axe, with shock enchantment, to destroy eveything that gets in my way. When I'm feeling stealthy, I sneak and shoot. This method hasn't wronged me thus far... Unless I get hit by one of those cinematic one hit kills...

But, the first time I was eaten by a dragon, I will admit, was amazing.

Ra1th
Nov 14th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I'm not a fan of huge open world games, mostly cause I usually get lost somewhere and I can't find my way out, which is why I hate most Bethesda games, but Skyrim is different, and man I enjoyed it. I gotta go buy it now.

What's the downside to becoming a werewolf? It'd be pretty epic to have a mage character be able to go werewolf when he's out of magica, and needs to gtfo

reaper239
Nov 15th, 2011, 05:55 AM
i'm a redguard step-up-and-get-smacked-down-by-my-pimp-hand aslo known as a mohawk also known as an i'm-gonna-f@$*-you-up also known as a warrior. i like the first title best. i also use conjuring to raise zombie, and the whole time i'm singing "stable of corpse b!1@#%$, i'm a pimp of the dead/ come f@&* with a zombie, i'll put a stake in your head" from who do you voodoo from dead island. nothing quite like killing someone, then making them kill their friends.

Grognaurd
Nov 15th, 2011, 06:20 AM
I picked it up last night. I played a bit. I escaped from the tutorial, went to visit the uncle and then off to the king then mage and finally save.

I must say that the rendering engine is a thing of beauty. It is certainly a tour de force.

BUT...

I hate the ecconomy. They make everything very expensive and then countering it with a loot-based encumberance. I you want to buy needed items, one has to loot everything. So, I am now running around with something like 5 complete sets of armor, 4 of which I intend to sell. But, where it really burns my ass is that oh, look there are 5 gold coins in the torture chamber that no one has picked up. Worse, kill a pack of wolves and loot a silver ring, some gold coins and three wolf pelts. If I was to normalize the population of the living and the ones recently eaten, I bet we would find that 50% of the population has been eaten in the last few days.

Simplify the economy buy reducing prices as well as the drop rate and decrease the pounds one can carry. Five suits of armor and I am still bouncing around like rabbit on crack. That is way over the top.

I think I will reallt like the skill based system and the rendition of the skill trees are awesome.

I have to play with the combat system some more. The cinematic inserts are pretty, but I hope they do not become too common.

I do like fable III and I am considering trying the game again, but this time use the on-line engine. My first play through was pure solo, because i did not need the additional complexity and the stress of griefing which is sure to occur. Never finished Fallout 3 vegas. My puppy chomped on the disk a few times.

I will most likely play this some more, but if I have not finished by March it will be shelved in favor of Mass Effect 3!

Creem_Filling
Nov 15th, 2011, 12:42 PM
What's the downside to becoming a werewolf? It'd be pretty epic to have a mage character be able to go werewolf when he's out of magica, and needs to gtfo

From what I heard, the werewolf is way overpowered. But I'm reconsidering getting it, as an assassin, vampyre is more my speed. I feel like ripping through people as a werewolf wouldn't be very stealthy.

Wicked Sid
Nov 15th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Hmm. Some of the downsides of becoming a werewolf are that you can only do it once per day (A Greater Power), you do not gain benefits from sleeping and you need some time to do the transformation.

Let's take Ra1th's Example, if a Mage were to run out of Magicka during a fight and you were being quite over-whelmed, it would not help to stop healing and turn, due to you being defenseless. With 2 or 3 good hits from say a Bandit Chieftain, you wouldn't make it to Wolf form, and also you don't not regenerate health in this state.

Grognaurd
Nov 21st, 2011, 09:42 AM
I want to like this game, I really do. But, it still has a lot of flaws, IMO. My biggest one is combat is really a question of who has the best drugs and largest lunchbox.

I swing my weapon two or three times and my stamina is shot. I have been tagged a couple of times and my health is low. (I am still a low level dweeb). Then, STOP! Wait! I pause the game and have five or six helpings of soup and a couple of slices of bread to boot. Ok, OK, I feel a lot better! Back to the fight. A few more exchange of blows and the enemy dies!

To quote Wes Snipes in Blade, "you obviously did not know who you are fucking with" cause I feel like a badass. But, I really should be saying, "idiot, you should have brought a bagged lunch."

The enemy scale to player ability is way off. I get jumped by a ~150 pound wolf. Man, let me tell you, that wolf was about as tough as the mudcrabs! Look, those crabs are just a little bigger than the ones I used to catch with a chicken neck and my bare hands. Something tells me that the a wolf would be much harder. So, I go on and kill a few more dudes. I come across the bandit leader. He kicked my ass so many times over the course of 1.5 hours of real life time. I will take the fault on that one, I knocked the difficulty down because I still suck at this combat engine. So, scale seems off here, too. Kill three guys at once and then not able to make one guy winded.

I like the skill advances
I like the perks and the way they are presented is awesome.
foraging and crafting are nice
The graphics for the whole game are good, but I still run into a few glitches like finding a couple fo shortswords suspened in mid air.
Archery seems cool, but I still need to work on the time required to aim.

There is a lot to like and a lot turns my stomach. Bagged Lunches, lootable wolves with gold coins and dragons are too common. I have killed two. It leaves me scratching my head to kill something as tremendous as a dragon, but then run around catching lightning bugs to make some Red Bull all the time worried that some stupid little crab will get the jump on mean and do what the dragon couldn't -- kill me

Grognaurd
Dec 12th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I am getting better at the combat system, but I still pretty much suck. I took the perks that slow the game down. The archery slows it down 50% for me and the shield block goes into slo mo on a power strike about to clocke me.

But, DAMN! this place is big. I pretty much have not left the main quest hub looking for quests. But, I pretty much walk everywhere. If I see something on my "HuD" I get close enough to tag it. I have done quests allover the place, but like I said, I have not "farmed" the quests in the other towns and cities. If there are as many from the other cities, I think I will be hard pressed to finish this up by ME3

Creem_Filling
Dec 12th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Saved over my level 42 this weekend.... My. Life. Is. Over.

Grognaurd
Dec 14th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Ouch that sucks. When xbox360 came out we could swap saves. But, it screwed up "achievements" so they released a firm-ware update.

BoomerXL
Dec 20th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Saved over my level 42 this weekend.... My. Life. Is. Over.

Wow, that does suck, I did pretty much the same thing with my level 20 mage, I decided to try out a second character and to my surprise doing so erased my primary save, by the time I realized what happened, even the auto saves had been saved over with my new character info...that sucked for me, but I decided to try out a completely new character and went with an archery/ sneak focused Wood Elf, and its been a lot of fun, currently at level 39

Grognaurd
Jan 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM
Finished the main Dragon Slayer quests. Didn't realize it was the end. I will probably have to start another character to explore more of the quests and regions I did not get check out yet. It just does not seem right to be the Ultimate dragon slayer that just saved the world to sneak into some woman's house to return a ring that was found in a Pawn Shop.

BoomerXL
Jan 3rd, 2012, 02:07 PM
Finished the main Dragon Slayer quests. Didn't realize it was the end. I will probably have to start another character to explore more of the quests and regions I did not get check out yet. It just does not seem right to be the Ultimate dragon slayer that just saved the world to sneak into some woman's house to return a ring that was found in a Pawn Shop.

Congrats on finishing the game! I still haven't finished it myself, had to take a bit of a break from Skyrim, I've been playing it non-stop since it came out, I wanted to finish up some of the games that have been stitting around. I was wondering, for anyone that has Skyrim on PS3, if you've encountered any of the lag issues everyone is freaking out about...the only time I've encountered any kind of lag was on a fast travel back to Whiterun, but it sorted itself out after a few minutes.

Ben Hosac
Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:57 PM
I just finished off the Thieves Guild & Nightingale main questline. It's taken so long because of this place www.skyrimnexus.com. There are really awesome mods and improvements here. One to note was a pack (one of many) that change how vampirism works and makes it more interesting. There's a ton of these sorts of projects in addition to texture additions, item additions/tweaks and of course much needed UI improvements. (god their stock inventory is bad).

-Ben

reaper239
Jan 3rd, 2012, 04:19 PM
i have no idea what kind of problems people are talking about on the ps3

Grognaurd
Jan 20th, 2012, 07:26 AM
So I am on the second play through. Went way against my nature and did the Thieves and Brotherhood arcs. Sheesh, I fell guilty for stealing stuff that actually only spawns if I initiate the quest from NPCs of a single player game that I own. LOL.

Anyway, I had this cool Horse Shadowmare or something. Lost her. Cannot find her. I cannot find my other horse that I bought for 1,000gp. When I zone to a new place, they do not show up anymore. Kinda frustrating. I do not think they are dead because when I lost them I was moving from town to town muling stuff.

I also have this ability to summon a friend. It is a power not a spell, scroll or staff. First time I did so the guy followed me around and around and around Yammering all the time. Somthing about how Kalani has been in dangerous situa- oh wait, wrong story. Finally, I got so frustrated, I slit his throat with a jackedup glass dagger with a 30x multiplier. Maybe he holds a grudge. I summoned him again and he came and fought with me. But, the bastard refused to go any further. He would not zone deeper into the dungeon nor out to skyrim. I come back and there he is talking to himself.... I knew I sould not have put that roll of 7 in charisma...

I wonder if the PC version is less buggy.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 20th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Arthur,

You've been having issues for a good while. Dead Island was giving you the business and now this.. save stuff on the cloud and see if stuff continues.

Solanine
Jan 21st, 2012, 12:08 PM
Have been playing since launch (not too long only an hour-ish per day). Currently a lvl 40 battle mage. Finished Dark brotherhood, main, Mages guild, Companions and most daedric story lines. Next I think is the imperial civil war quest, really starting to dislike Ufric after "The forsworn conspiracy". And I really dislike the Thalmor, a division in the empire is giving them a chance to land the final blow (Nerd!). My companion at the moment is Cicero and I too am rocking Shadowmere Arthur.

Grognaurd
Feb 1st, 2012, 11:04 AM
Damn, gotta start all over again.

My avatar married a Priestess of Dibella. Now he wont leave the house.

Just kidding.

When my last character got bugged I do not think it was the hard drive. Nothing would update. If I went to the temple of Nocturnal it would always tell me that I can only change once per day. I actually never changed. I got one ability as the quest reward, but I could never change it. I even had been saving this series of games on the cloud, so my hard drive was temporary storage only.

BoomerXL
Mar 1st, 2012, 09:46 AM
I started playing it again about a week ago, I had taken about a 2 or 3 week break, I started doing the Civil War questline now, still early on, I decided to join the Stormcloaks, doing Daedric quest as well and still having fun just wandering around and discovering things, currently a lvl 43 Archer.

Grognaurd
Mar 1st, 2012, 11:01 AM
I am lvl 50 on this play through. I still have not found equipment with the Underwater Breath enchantment. *Shrug*

ClearSights
May 13th, 2012, 12:30 PM
I just started Skyrim after trying to stay away from it. I currently just finished all of "The Companions" missions and just begun on the main story. I'm level 20 atm. The PS3 has some harsh load times which make me weary to play it sometimes.

BoomerXL
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:05 PM
The PS3 has some harsh load times which make me weary to play it sometimes. Turning off some of the auto save options helps with the load times a lot, I'm pretty brave (and I have a high level character) so I have it set up where it only saves when I enter the menu screen (every 10 minutes, not every single time) Hope that helps you

ClearSights
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:28 PM
Just did that, thanks! Really does help

BoomerXL
Jun 5th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Just did that, thanks! Really does help

Anytime...glad I could help...just don't forget to save pretty often....I've forgotten sometimes, then gotten careless while fighting a dragon or something and lost an hour or so or progress...

ClearSights
Jun 5th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Anytime...glad I could help...just don't forget to save pretty often....I've forgotten sometimes, then gotten careless while fighting a dragon or something and lost an hour or so or progress...

I litterally did that today, did like a whole hour in a cave and died.....only to see my last save was at the start, I was pissed. But i'm getting pretty far, currently level 34

BoomerXL
Jun 5th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I litterally did that today, did like a whole hour in a cave and died.....only to see my last save was at the start, I was pissed. But i'm getting pretty far, currently level 34

That sucks....though that hasn't happened to me in awhile now...my characters almost at level 47 now...double enchantments on my armor helps too