PDA

View Full Version : If the story is told through journal entries (Post 24 credit sequence question)

nikvoodoo
Oct 6th, 2011, 02:01 PM
We have been led to believe that the journal entries are how the story is told. It's why we all believe that Burt is alive (he narrated Chapter 24), its what has been established as the way we know what the characters are thinking...

So...

How are the events described after the credit sequence in Chapter 24 being told? Is Scratch writing a journal? After all, the person that was found is barely alive... which prompts a couple of questions: Are we wrong about the journal theory? Might that rule be changing?

And if that isn't the case: who is the one reporting on this event? How is it that we the listener got to know about this?

7oddisdead
Oct 6th, 2011, 04:08 PM
ive kinda questioned this as well, but lazy me didnt want to go through the chpt 24 thread or off shoot threads.. a couple times within the series i believe this has happened, a quick example i can think of is the scene where saul was at the mallers camp..when scratch killed....uh..charlie? it would be speculation there to think that saul was close enough to hear their conversation. i could be totally wrong there, but thats how i heard it. you could very well be onto something here. too many different things go through my mind on what could be going on here..ill let some others throw things at the wall first...

nikvoodoo
Oct 6th, 2011, 05:22 PM
ive kinda questioned this as well, but lazy me didnt want to go through the chpt 24 thread or off shoot threads.. a couple times within the series i believe this has happened, a quick example i can think of is the scene where saul was at the mallers camp..when scratch killed....uh..charlie? it would be speculation there to think that saul was close enough to hear their conversation. i could be totally wrong there, but thats how i heard it. you could very well be onto something here. too many different things go through my mind on what could be going on here..ill let some others throw things at the wall first...

And just before that was the very clear conversation Saul overheard in the store that Latch and Scratch were "shopping" at.

7oddisdead
Oct 6th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Exactly dude..gonna have to check for other times were that's happened...i think there's another one besides those two..

nikvoodoo
Oct 6th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Exactly dude..gonna have to check for other times were that's happened...i think there's another one besides those two..

Don't think there is any. All the other stories we heard were told through direct flashback (like with Hope/Samantha), or off the journals of Tower members.

Kc (probably just to torment) mentioned that it was post credits. So it might be that this particular instance is being told outside of the story structure. It's not contained within Michawl Swan setting the story for us. So perhaps the rules are different this time.

7oddisdead
Oct 6th, 2011, 06:30 PM
ill be honest, to me..that ending sequence was added to help create the speculation we are doing right now. think about all the "crazy talk" that could possibly stem from that short little sequence. quite smart really...

and yes i jumped over to the section i was thinking of, and no...different situation..but it is strange that scratch is involved in three of these type of scenes.

Zombiphobe
Oct 7th, 2011, 09:49 AM
The Mallers still have Lizzy, right? If Scratch is keeping her close, it's possible Lizzy was able to report on this scene.

nikvoodoo
Oct 7th, 2011, 12:07 PM
The Mallers still have Lizzy, right? If Scratch is keeping her close, it's possible Lizzy was able to report on this scene.

But if Lizzy was close enough, wouldn't there be a reaction whenever Scratch, Bricks and Tardust found whomever it was? A shriek, a wail, an OMG?

yarri
Oct 7th, 2011, 12:08 PM
But if Lizzy was close enough, wouldn't there be a reaction whenever Scratch, Bricks and Tardust found whomever it was? A shriek, a wail, an OMG?

Nik for the next voodoo lounge can you add this theory.. I think Lizzie is free from the mallers..

nikvoodoo
Oct 7th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Nik for the next voodoo lounge can you add this theory.. I think Lizzie is free from the mallers..

If I remember it all the way into winter, you got it ;)

Zombiphobe
Oct 7th, 2011, 01:31 PM

Well, it's all speculation, but it could be that the shock of watching the tower collapse left her dazed, where she could hear what was going on but wasn't able to process the information until later.

Another scenario could be if she was being held close enough to hear what was going on but couldn't actully see who it was. Then she might have assumed it was one of their fellow Mallers that they found.

I just don't think we have enough information to say for sure. As Yarri pointed out Lizzy might even have gotten free.

Daddy Doom Bar
Oct 7th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Perhaps Scratch comes in with the Tower guys in season 3? I still think that all this is being told by Micheal from safety through the digital journals after it's all over. When Saul and the others first meet Latch and Scratch, the conversation between the two is told, but who heard it? They talk like the others can't hear them. Perhaps this is what Micheal knew from Scratches journal? Perhaps Scratch left out all the inbetween stuff (all the fighting, the attack on the stadium etc...) as she didn't want the others to know the bad things she'd done/been ordered to do. I think it would be interesting for KC to turn Scratch into a likeable 'good' character by the end/mid season 3.

nikvoodoo
Oct 7th, 2011, 01:37 PM
But now if Lizzy is free of the Mallers, then there really is no one to recall this information.....If I escaped Scratch's grasp, I wouldn't stay in the area to find out what they were looking for. Self-preservation. Get gone! Saul and Victor possibly, but they nearly got their asses blown up...no reason to think they'd be close enough to to hear what Scratch et al were saying...

So how do we know what happened?

If Scratch comes in, the story loses its main living protagonist. I believe we will get to know Scratch better, but I don't think it comes with a turn on her part. We might know more about her and her life, but I can't imagine her joining the Tower. Especially with Pegs alive.

Zombiphobe
Oct 7th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I definitely cannot see Scratch joining up with Michael and company. She is hot-headed and way too big on retaliation. Lizzy spotted that Scratch was going out of her way, without Durai's consent, to attack the Tower. Her main purpose may have been to get Pegs, but I'm sure she has not forgiven Michael or the others for getting in her way. I wouldn't have been surprised if she had destroyed the Tower regardless.

Bricks, on the other hand, I could see joining up with those from the Tower. Perhaps he recounts this particular post credit sequence.

7oddisdead
Oct 9th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Ha! Yes that's right...latch and scratch at the tanker meet up! That was the other conversation I was thinking of...so we do in fact have three conversations between latch and scratch that no one besides those two were privy to....hmm...i have a very crackpot idea here...

nikvoodoo
Oct 9th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Ha! Yes that's right...latch and scratch at the tanker meet up! That was the other conversation I was thinking of...so we do in fact have three conversations between latch and scratch that no one besides those two were privy to....hmm...i have a very crackpot idea here...

I hesitate to pull this card out of the hat, but that was early on in the series. Are we sure the same rule applied then as it does now? Like maybe the convention came into a clearer focus as the series progressed and maybe wasn't such a hard and fast "rule" as it was then?

7oddisdead
Oct 9th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I know, and trust me that thought has crossed my mind throughout this entire thread...it was early enough in the series that it's totally possible that what your saying is the case..but, it's fun to speculate on none the less...

nikvoodoo
Oct 10th, 2011, 12:12 AM
That are why I playin' devil's advocate. Try to keep the conversation rollin'.

7oddisdead
Oct 10th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Heh....here you go then, IF we are saying that it's by journal entries...OR possibly characters telling the story at the end, when it's all over... The totally crazy thought based on this...is latch is describing the three scenes we're talking about here....yea, I'm saying all the "narrators"...to the story we hear are retelling the story post mortem....now I REALLY Don't like that idea...and it totally goes against what I believe is the thing KC hated about the ending of LOST...but that was the first thing to cross my mind....:)

reaper239
Oct 10th, 2011, 06:03 AM
(crazy theory) i think aliens are telling those sections of the story :tinfoil:

on another note (though equally as crazy) we know that there are smart zombies right? what if there are "spy" zombies? the smart ones have the ability to coordinate and control the efforts of their fellow zombies, this is confirmed in the ambush and at the stadium, so we know there is some kind of mental connection. think about it, the smart ones aren't stupid (hello mcfly) if i were facing down an enemy like the well organized and intelligent human resistance i would want to gather intelligence on them, so if there were a zombie with super hearing or something (why not, right?) the smart one could use that to spy on the humans, look for weaknesses, etc. just a thought. although if that is the case, and the smart ones know where the humans are, then why don't they just launch a large scale assault? couldn't tell you, i'm not a zombie... or am i? :tinfoil: