PDA

View Full Version : Zombies in the Army Times..

Bravo Team Leader
Oct 4th, 2011, 04:54 PM
On the back Cover of the Army Times has zombies.. Who would have thought? It's the Aug Issue. the article wasn't bad.. Had some books I never heard of plus the Us.Army Zombie Guide(nope) in it. The weapons listing was interesting. Had the winner from last years Top Shot in it saying he would carry a Ruger 10-22 Rifle. He stated "I can carry a ton of ammo for it, and besides I can hit what I'm aiming at" Interesting Any one else read this?

reaper239
Oct 5th, 2011, 06:20 AM
i'll have to see if i can track down the aug issue, i'm sure it's somewhere on base.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Oct 5th, 2011, 09:01 AM
On the back Cover of the Army Times has zombies.. Who would have thought? It's the Aug Issue. the article wasn't bad.. Had some books I never heard of plus the Us.Army Zombie Guide(nope) in it. The weapons listing was interesting. Had the winner from last years Top Shot in it saying he would carry a Ruger 10-22 Rifle. He stated "I can carry a ton of ammo for it, and besides I can hit what I'm aiming at" Interesting Any one else read this?

Yo Bravo,

I googled the Army times and guess what? Your forum comment is sitting there as a possible link. LOL. Anyway, I found the following:

http://blogs.federaltimes.com/federal-times-blog/2011/08/05/survive-the-zombie-apocalypse-the-army-times-way/

Cabbage Patch
Oct 5th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Here's a more direct link to the story.http://militarytimes.com/offduty/health/offduty-zombie-war-deployment-guide-072611/

Bravo Team Leader
Oct 12th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Thanks Bro..

mem
Oct 12th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I bought a Ruger 10-22 for my birthday. Cheap ammo, lots of plinking fun and in case our shack in the briars is over run with the undead i can take a few of them out before they get me.

Cabbage Patch
Oct 12th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I'm really curious about the value of the .22 LR in a Zombie Apocolypse scenario. A Ruger 10-22 with a suppressor would make a sweet setup, but would it be effective? I know that the Russians sell a .22 LR sniper rifle with a built in silencer for use in urban warefare settings, but I've never seen anything that describes the combat performance of the round. Does it really have the power to stop a zombie with a headshot? What is its effective range? Are the range and/or the terminal ballistics impacted by adding a suppressor? I'd love to see a link to some sort of study on the subject.

jwaj2002
Oct 12th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I've got everything I need right here, a big ass truck... access to more of them, sharp big pointy objects, and a full metal shop to make other zombie killing devices

usmcludwig
Oct 19th, 2011, 11:59 AM
@Cabbage Patch

The range of a .22 is impressive, but since the round is smaller- it would be most effective in a 200 meter range.
I think it could be ideal in a Z-Day scenario because of the round and how it works
Because it is so little, when it enters a body- it bounces around in there and tears up the insides. Put that to a headshot and you have a higher chance of a 1-shot kill, but even if it took 3 shots, the ammo is so light and abundant that it wouldn't be a huge deal
Now for a suppressor, shit, unless you were using magnum rounds, I really don't think you'd really need one horribly bad. I remember when I was a kid, like 8 years old, I had a .22 rifle. I remember I couldn't tell the difference in sound of my pellet gun and rifle. It is about the same sound for noise imo.
In close quarters, if you had something similar to a ACOG scope, you could make it work, especially with a sexy Rugger model- o hell ya.
O and lastly, yes- I would most def imagine that a suppressor would heavily affect the round at ranges. Close quarters, not so much at all.

gaijinpunk
Nov 2nd, 2011, 06:51 PM
saw this! JL Borne (of Day by Day Armageddon fame) was consulted / quoted! Good stuff!

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Nov 18th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I was talking with one of our Coast Guard reserve dudes the other day. He's a Miami Dade SWAT guy in his other suit. He told me of a story about a kid to died from getting shot with a .22 in the butt. The round basically entered and bounced off his hip and shot upward and bounced around shredding organs. Kid died slowly from internal bleeding.
So, the round can kill and it's perfect for medium distance Z headshots. 22. rimfire magnums are really showing up these days. Google em.