PDA

View Full Version : Real Life "Tatooine" discovered

nikvoodoo
Sep 16th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Anybody else catch this? NASA discovered a planet with 2 suns 200 light years from Earth. Pretty awesome geeky stuff! Now....to see if there's a kid there whose midichlorians are off the scale and he just might fulfill that prophecy!

http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/15/tatooine-gives-first-direct-proof-of-2-sun-planet/

7oddisdead
Sep 16th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Awesome...I both love hearing about this stuff and hate it...hate because we know NONE of us will ever leave this Petri dish to see it close up.

gaijinpunk
Sep 16th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Those aren't the droids you're looking for...:D

StepLaugh
Sep 17th, 2011, 01:42 PM
This is super nerdy/amazing!

usmcludwig
Sep 17th, 2011, 10:08 PM
O How I would love to be an immortal that could survive the voyage to the new world without dying of w/e due to 200 centuries of traveling in space :(

nikvoodoo
Sep 17th, 2011, 10:44 PM
O How I would love to be an immortal that could survive the voyage to the new world without dying of w/e due to 200 centuries of traveling in space :(

It actually would be quicker for you as the light speed traveler. As I understand it, while time would still pass for you, it wouldn't be the two centuries everyone else experiences (That's what the whole relativity theory is based on). So on Earth, 200 centuries pass, but you riding the light beam less time would elapse for you.

Now.....if only light speed was possible....

Solanine
Sep 18th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Its a shame but 7oddisdead is right, I can't see us reaching out to other solar systems. Just not feasible at least within the next 50-100 years unless a huge breakthrough is made.

Conf
Sep 22nd, 2011, 04:30 AM
midichlorians /

How dare you

nikvoodoo
Sep 22nd, 2011, 06:47 AM
How dare you

How dare you! :p

Solanine
Sep 22nd, 2011, 08:38 AM
Your all (speciesist?) Thank god we haven't found another race, I'm not sure texas could take man-male alien relationships.

smalls kenobi
Sep 27th, 2011, 06:08 PM
we just have to find the Mass Relay and we're set :P

Solanine
Sep 27th, 2011, 11:54 PM
we just have to find the Mass Relay and we're set :P

Until the reapers come. We already know of one residing in texas. He seems pretty harmless though.
Also, if the speed of light was the fastest we could go, then a giant space catapult probably wouldn't be any use. Still couldn't brake the limit.

7oddisdead
Sep 28th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Alright fine...ill start building the event horizon, just don't go blaming me when Sam Neil tries to rip out your eyes...

Solanine
Sep 28th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I don't know who that is or why they want my eyes but I'll be unbearably polite towards them.

7oddisdead
Sep 28th, 2011, 11:45 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_Horizon_(film)

Bending space...the only way to travel...

Solanine
Sep 28th, 2011, 11:50 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_Horizon_(film)

Bending space...the only way to travel...

I doubt it!

http://i.imgur.com/9WHda.jpg
Meet the UNSC fleet.

reaper239
Sep 29th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Until the reapers come. We already know of one residing in texas. He seems pretty harmless though.
Also, if the speed of light was the fastest we could go, then a giant space catapult probably wouldn't be any use. Still couldn't brake the limit.

i reside in maryland, i'm from texas.

Solanine
Sep 29th, 2011, 11:43 PM
i reside in maryland, i'm from texas.
Same thing. To a Britt.

reaper239
Sep 30th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Same thing. To a Britt.

not even close, but i won't be offended that you have insulted my sacred homeland, because you're a britt. but did you know that God blessed Texas? with his own hand? brought down angels from the promised land. gave them a place where they could dance, if you wanna see heaven, brother, here's your chance. well i've been sent to spread the message... God blessed Texas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbH60wCO-Yw

Solanine
Sep 30th, 2011, 08:37 AM
not even close, but i won't be offended that you have insulted my sacred homeland, because you're a britt. But did you know that god blessed texas? With his own hand? Brought down angels from the promised land. Gave them a place where they could dance, if you wanna see heaven, brother, here's your chance. Well i've been sent to spread the message... God blessed texas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbh60wco-yw

tgfo!

Wicked Sid
Oct 1st, 2011, 09:21 AM
You would need an immense gravity well to bend space, a la black hole singularity. Have fun being stretched and learning what happens inside a black hole's event horizon, I hear physics may not work too well in there.

Light speed is the limit as far as we understand it, but that's the lame way to travel.

A planet with two suns, reading what they said it seems that there should be quite a few more of those. I wonder if there's a point within the rotational period of the planet's solar year in which gravity increases dramatically. Fuck Yeah! Double gravity.

smalls kenobi
Oct 1st, 2011, 11:27 AM
going through a black hole may work if you can perfect teleportation(deconstructing and reconstructing atoms at two different points in space). the black hole will stretch out your atoms, if there is an end point to a black hole then there could be a chance you can rearrange the atoms back to it's original form. that's if the concoction that can do such a thing will survive the trip through the black whole.

Solanine
Oct 1st, 2011, 12:14 PM
But are you the same person coming out after you've been destroyed and reconstructed?
Until I know it is definitely me and not just the person I was just before being transported (I have no wish to be killed and replaced by a copy of a 30 second younger version of me)
I would avoid teleportation.

7oddisdead
Oct 4th, 2011, 12:45 AM
I suppose this is the type if reaction I should expect when making a bad joke about a mediocre at best film..

Sarcasm>missed

:)

reaper239
Oct 4th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I suppose this is the type if reaction I should expect when making a bad joke about a mediocre at best film..

Sarcasm>missed

:)

mediocre? this is like a slap in the face. event horizon was awesome. scared the piss out of me the first time i watched it. i am offended *hmph*

7oddisdead
Oct 4th, 2011, 07:11 AM
good grief...
i liked it as well..quite a bit actually.
but that doesn't change facts

reaper239
Oct 4th, 2011, 10:19 AM
*sniff* yes it does *sniff*