PDA

View Full Version : Best Zombie Book

JusticePain
Sep 13th, 2011, 02:53 PM
What is the best Zombie book of all the times!!!

reaper239
Sep 14th, 2011, 07:33 AM
i have to say it's a tie between "day by day armageddon" and "eden" if you haven't read eden, you should. the editor did a really crappy job so there's a lot of spelling and grammatical errors, but even with that, the writing and story are so good the problems really don't matter.

gaijinpunk
Sep 14th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I have to say DBDA, with The Zombie Survival Guide and WWZ running in a close 2nd and 3rd.:zombie:

aaronarturus
Sep 22nd, 2011, 05:46 AM
Hands down the best zombie book is the Angels Were the Reapers by Alden Bell. Truly amazing. Patient Zero by Mr. Maberry is my vote for second best zombie book.

Gilbert
Sep 22nd, 2011, 07:04 AM
I have to say WWZ is my vote.

reaper239
Sep 22nd, 2011, 11:02 AM
you know, i was reading patient zero but it just didn't have enough juice to really hold my attention

Solanine
Sep 22nd, 2011, 01:31 PM
Day by day, got to be.

Solanine
Sep 22nd, 2011, 11:42 PM
DbDay, its got to be.

7oddisdead
Sep 23rd, 2011, 03:09 AM
At first I wouldn't have given wwz high reviews, but on second listen...I'd say its the best I've read so far...

Alternate answer:
Old curiosity shop by Charles dickens, I became a zombie by chapter four :)

reaper239
Sep 23rd, 2011, 05:39 AM
totally dude dickens was a very influential writer, and also a very boring one imho. i acknowledge the impact he's had on literature, but i thought great expectations was going to kill me.

aaronarturus
Sep 24th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Day by Day just didn't do anything for me. I wanted to like it so much, but the writing was just so boring. I read the second one in hopes that it would have gotten better, but there's just something about it that made me not care in the slightest about the protagonist. Temple, from The Angels Were the Reapers though, was a brilliant protagonist. And the antagonist in that book was equally brilliant.

abayarts
Sep 25th, 2011, 08:04 AM
For a quick read and if you're a fan of Star Trek, read Night of the living Trekkie. :)

GodofInsanity
Sep 26th, 2011, 01:41 AM
J.L. Bourne Day by Day Armageddon is my favorite. Though I will say WWZ was a damn good read. I know the movie is going to be very different from the book but am looking forward to it. Have to laugh though dbda and wwz seen to leading the pack here though I have seen a couple books referenced that I am gonna add to my read at work during downtime list. Nothing better than reading zombie fiction on the clock.

usmcludwig
Sep 26th, 2011, 10:53 AM
World War Z still takes my love

I have read DBDA and am working on Beyond Exile now- I like it and enjoy it, but even with the use of Marines in it, it doesn't have the hook in me as World War Z did

Nitara
Apr 23rd, 2012, 01:46 PM
My favorite is definitely WWZ. I also recommend One Eighteen Migration by Will Ross. One Eighteen originally started out as an audio drama, but the author decided to release it as a book.

Cabbage Patch
Apr 23rd, 2012, 03:13 PM
I'll add another vote for World War Z.

My second choice would be any of the three books by Craig diLouie, "Tooth and Nail", "The Infection" or the newly published "On the Killing Floor". Of the three I would probably put "The Infection" first, "Tooth and Nail" last, but they're all exciting reads.

Osiris
Apr 23rd, 2012, 04:10 PM
I'd say Day by Day Armageddon, World War Z, and Patient Zero would be my favourite picks. They each have their places in the genre and do great jobs representing their specific sub-genres. Patient Zero is great for zombie/tech, Day by Day is amazing for it's first person journal style fiction and World War Z is a great blend of both.

Cabbage Patch
Apr 23rd, 2012, 04:34 PM
One interesting "alternative" format zombie story that I would recommend is "Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years" http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=35300&start=240, which is presented in an online blog format. I understand that this is how Day by Day Armageddon started. The perspective is very different, focusing on the viewpoint of a mom, whose main interest is the logistics of feeding her family.

Osiris
Apr 23rd, 2012, 04:37 PM
One interesting "alternative" format zombie story that I would recommend is "Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years" http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=35300&start=240, which is presented in an online blog format. I understand that this is how Day by Day Armageddon started. The perspective is very different, focusing on the viewpoint of a mom, whose main interest is the logistics of feeding her family.

There are quite a number of books that started out as 'blogs'. Day by Day, John Dies at the End, I may be mistaken about it, but I believe the Morningstar Strain started the same way as well... seems to be a great way to install a fan base before releasing it in a physical form.

charles
Apr 24th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Let's see.. I've read quite a few now (I fixate on subjects), so far my opinions:

Day By Day Armageddon was good read, seemed kind of flat when I look back at it...
The Infection -- Craig Dilouie -- good
Plague of the Dead -- Z A Recht -- good, liked it better than DBDA (would read it again)
White Flag of the Dead (series) -- Joseph Talluto -- got tired of how perfect the main character was... needed more humanity.
Rise Again -- Ben Tripp -- was okay... human flaws appreciated
Tooth and Nail -- Craig Dilouie -- good

(read at least another 6-8 books which were not very memorable)

My favorite (which I didn't think I'd like when I picked it up) was Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines

I like the more action-horror based stories I guess -- pure horror has it's place, but it's a bit draining if there is no chance for the world.

Dr_Marshall
Apr 24th, 2012, 04:14 PM
It's not quite a 'zombie" book, but that's the basic premise for those who have read it you'd know what I mean. Cell by Stephen King...

abayarts
Apr 24th, 2012, 04:16 PM
It's not quite a 'zombie" book, but that's the basic premise for those who have read it you'd know what I mean. Cell by Stephen King...

I read Cell and enjoyed it. It's a whole different take on 'zombies'. I remember crying when a certain character dies because the way King wrote the scene and the character meant a lot to certain people.

Osiris
Apr 24th, 2012, 04:44 PM
I've been curious about Cell, but I've been let down by King enough times to be a little wary. Maybe I'll take a leap and pick it up.

HorrorHiro
Apr 24th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I say WWZ, and honestly I think it would make a better audio drama than book. If you'v read it you probably know what I mean.

reaper239
Apr 25th, 2012, 06:20 AM
I've been curious about Cell, but I've been let down by King enough times to be a little wary. Maybe I'll take a leap and pick it up.

imo cell was one of his better books.

Osiris
Apr 26th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Having read 98% of Breathers: A Zombie's Lament by S.G. Browne I have to say it has become one of my favourite zombooks to date. I would certainly read it again and would definitely recommend it to anyone.

reaper239
May 23rd, 2012, 06:29 AM
doom: knee deep in the dead. good luck finding a copy though. i must have read that book 30 times. it is a novelization of the original doom game.

reaper239
May 23rd, 2012, 06:31 AM
I just finished a few good reads (unabriged listens, actually) and added Tony Fa"Kings of the Dead" to my list of favorites. Finished Keene's books (The Rising an City of the Dead), but didn't like the ending. Carrie Ryan's "Forrest of Hand and Teeth" is a good Z book but not my cup of tea, too much drama; started "Breathers" but found it uninteresting. "Eden" and "The Reapers are the Angels" are already here but no time to read 'em yet (will wait for unabridged audiobooks). BTW, I didn't know "1-18, Migration" went to print, will look for it.

eden has poor editing, but is still one of the most awesom zombooks i have had the privelige to read.

COsurvivor
May 30th, 2012, 07:25 PM
The Zombie Combat Manual by:Roger Ma

IT is not a story but a manual of how to survive a Zombie Apocalypse... Not only that but it has things put into realistic perspective and not just grab a gun and kill to stay alive.

It breaks down, Weapons, Exercise, Shelter and a whole lot more...

Loyal Retainer
Jun 3rd, 2012, 12:42 PM
I have to say the Day by Day Armeggedon series really sucked me in. I'm actually re-reading the second one right now. WWZ did a lot for the genre so I would have to put it high up on the list. I've never read Eden but with all the people on here saying they love it I am definitely going to have to check it out now. Autumn is another good one. It starts of really slow but if you stick with it it is pretty good.

Leedo2502
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:09 PM

I too have been let down by King and I'll say Cell was a let down as well. Though mostly King looses me on the first few chapters I stuck with Cell til the end, that's when it got stupid.

Leedo2502
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:45 PM
I'm going to go against the grain on this one... I think WWZ is highly overrated.

I did enjoy alot of the book but I was taken out of the story on by him making up terms and his complete unfamiliarity with the military. For example:

-No one in the military has ever called a grenade a "'nade"... it's ridiculous to the point of being distracting
-The Battle of Yonkers scene was absolute crap, it seems like Brooks didn't even use Wikipedia to see how M-1 Abrams tanks work or even how devastating artillery would be to a densely pack mob of people/zombies
-More on Yonkers, the way that the military reacted in the book makes me think that Brooks has a thing against the military. To think that there would be one plan with zero contingencies is absurd.
-More silliness at Yonkers, I laughed out loud when the guy was saying that the higher-ups couldn't adapt and wanted to fight a conventional war against the Zombies... the military has conducted countless actions that are considered "other than war" from police actions in the Balkans to aid after Katrina, pretty sure those aren't fighting the Reds in the Fulda Gap.

Those are just a few of my technical disappointments with this book.

The other thing that got me was every charecter sounded the same, it was basically a collection of mini-Max Brooks throuought the book using the same slang and terms wheather they were in China India Japan US or Europe. Everyone sounded the same.

I could go on about how boring I found this book but I don't want to burn the calories.

Day by Day is way better, and Zone One was another good one and a bit of a heavier read.

Osiris
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:57 PM
I'm going to go against the grain on this one... I think WWZ is highly overrated.

I did enjoy alot of the book but I was taken out of the story on by him making up terms and his complete unfamiliarity with the military. For example:

-No one in the military has ever called a grenade a "'nade"... it's ridiculous to the point of being distracting
-The Battle of Yonkers scene was absolute crap, it seems like Brooks didn't even use Wikipedia to see how M-1 Abrams tanks work or even how devastating artillery would be to a densely pack mob of people/zombies
-More on Yonkers, the way that the military reacted in the book makes me think that Brooks has a thing against the military. To think that there would be one plan with zero contingencies is absurd.
-More silliness at Yonkers, I laughed out loud when the guy was saying that the higher-ups couldn't adapt and wanted to fight a conventional war against the Zombies... the military has conducted countless actions that are considered "other than war" from police actions in the Balkans to aid after Katrina, pretty sure those aren't fighting the Reds in the Fulda Gap.

Those are just a few of my technical disappointments with this book.

The other thing that got me was every charecter sounded the same, it was basically a collection of mini-Max Brooks throuought the book using the same slang and terms wheather they were in China India Japan US or Europe. Everyone sounded the same.

I could go on about how boring I found this book but I don't want to burn the calories.

Day by Day is way better, and Zone One was another good one and a bit of a heavier read.

First, my grandfather, two of his sons, and my old neighbour all served. They've called them 'nades' on more than on occasion, so you are wrong. Second, Yonkers was a fun fight, engaging, and entertaining. Third, in the age of information sharing being a single click away, terminology tends to travel faster than sound.

Day by Day was a totally different book, better is subjective at best.

Leedo2502
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:10 PM
First, my grandfather, two of his sons, and my old neighbour all served. They've called them 'nades' on more than on occasion, so you are wrong. Second, Yonkers was a fun fight, engaging, and entertaining. Third, in the age of information sharing being a single click away, terminology tends to travel faster than sound.

Day by Day was a totally different book, better is subjective at best.

Dude I'm calling Bullshit on the 'nades. No one has ever said 'nades. It's stupid.

Don't try and cover for lazy writting by using the internet as an example. I've been all around the world and they all have their own colloquialisms. Even in the englishspeaking countries there are huge gaps in terminology and slang.

Osiris
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:15 PM
Dude I'm calling Bullshit on the 'nades. No one has ever said 'nades. It's stupid.

Don't try and cover for lazy writting by using the internet as an example. I've been all around the world and they all have their own colloquialisms. Even in the englishspeaking countries there are huge gaps in terminology and slang.

Call bullshit all you want. Deal with it.

Leedo2502
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:43 PM
Call bullshit all you want. Deal with it.

Nothing to "deal with." You can have your own opinion but not your own facts. "'Nade" isn't used by anyone in the military past or present. Just because a bunch of kids use it when playing COD doesn't mean those of us who have actually been in the military use them. For clarification we don't call an M-203 a "n00b tube" nor do we call sitting in an LP/OP "camping."

Osiris
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:15 PM
Nothing to "deal with." You can have your own opinion but not your own facts. "'Nade" isn't used by anyone in the military past or present. Just because a bunch of kids use it when playing COD doesn't mean those of us who have actually been in the military use them. For clarification we don't call an M-203 a "n00b tube" nor do we call sitting in an LP/OP "camping."

ROFL. Ok kid.

Lukas A.
Jun 6th, 2012, 10:33 AM
"The Enemy" by Charlie Higson is a great zombie book series where all adults turn into zombies... Lord of the flies type story

COsurvivor
Jun 8th, 2012, 02:05 PM
RISE AGAIN by Ben Tripp... very interesting story but the ending was bit forced and flet like he added 10+ pages just to finish the book. Yet that aside the story and description was very well done.

I especially like the Zombie types and the MERC style Gov't hired private security too. Believable in many aspects and I call this one a READ

IrishZombieKiller
Jun 11th, 2012, 08:34 PM
So many great titles, think a recommended reading list would be a great thing to come out of this list. I loved WWZ. I liked how the stories were done. I do not think he was unfair or otherwise towards the military, I do think that should we ever have this problem that someone will attempt to fight a conventional war against an unconventional enemy, - that mistake is not new.

VEE
Jun 14th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Hands down the best zombie book is the Angels Were the Reapers by Alden Bell. Truly amazing. Patient Zero by Mr. Maberry is my vote for second best zombie book.

Somebody here recommended Angels, Osiris I think, just finished it and it Was excellent.

not_infected
Jul 1st, 2012, 09:47 AM
I just finished Raising Stony Mayhall by Daryl Gregory, and it was excellent. Highly recommended.

werewolf
Jul 1st, 2012, 08:09 PM
I mainly listen to audiobooks since my dyslexia messes with me when i read too much
the one i am listen to now is Ex-Heros. by Peter Cines

Loyal Retainer
Jul 1st, 2012, 08:40 PM
I mainly listen to audiobooks since my dyslexia messes with me when i read too much
the one i am listen to now is Ex-Heros. by Peter Cines

I didn't think I would get into Ex-Heroes because of the whole super heroes angle but I loved it. I turned around and picked up a copy of Ex-Patriots right after I got done with the first. I'm hoping that Ex-Communication comes out in the relatively near future. I'm running out of good zombie novels that I haven't read.

Leedo2502
Jul 3rd, 2012, 08:09 AM
So many great titles, think a recommended reading list would be a great thing to come out of this list. I loved WWZ. I liked how the stories were done. I do not think he was unfair or otherwise towards the military, I do think that should we ever have this problem that someone will attempt to fight a conventional war against an unconventional enemy, - that mistake is not new.

The military would treat it like an outbreak... the military is trained to deal with those situations. Brooks obviously has a bit of nerd rage and just wants to paint the military as a bunch of knuckle draggers that are lost in their own doctrine and can't think outside the box. The fact that he made so many of the mistakes he did shows that he had no intrest in getting any information about how the military operates or even get the jargon right.

Leedo2502
Jul 3rd, 2012, 08:12 AM
RISE AGAIN by Ben Tripp... very interesting story but the ending was bit forced and flet like he added 10+ pages just to finish the book. Yet that aside the story and description was very well done.

I especially like the Zombie types and the MERC style Gov't hired private security too. Believable in many aspects and I call this one a READ

I think the ending chapter was maybe a little to much but I really didn't mind it over all. I will say the very last sentence kind of made me mad... I let a freind borrow it and I told her to cover the last sentence with a Post-It