PDA

View Full Version : Forum Upgraded to 4.1.5 Any problems?

Kc
Aug 3rd, 2011, 08:52 AM
This thread is intended to solve any problems encountered through the upgrade process.

1. The Wiki Main page is all txt. * Fixed.

Any others, post below...

GD_Elite
Aug 5th, 2011, 11:54 AM
What changes have been made?

Obviously the new reply box, the message about the redesign, and the changes to the chat box. Ooh, and I just noticed a little Auto-save pop-up when typing this.

And to address the actual point of the thread, I find the fact that the chat box now says "xxx replied to a thread" rather than naming the thread a bit annoying. I like to see if any threads that I like reading have been replied to, and with the new system I can't tell if it is some discussion about WA or a lot of discussion about a different topic that I have no interest in. However, if there is a reason for that change (and there probably is since its been changed, "if it ain't broke don't fix it") then I'm sure I can work around it happy in the knowledge that it is for a greater good. :)

EDIT: I just noticed that when someone commented in Chapter 24 discussion it mentioned that too. I suppose I could use that, but I don't know why it doesn't specify which section of the forum it is in for other topics.

2nd EDIT: Just noticed that what just happened is only for new threads. Could replies do this too perhaps?

nikvoodoo
Aug 5th, 2011, 12:57 PM
What changes have been made?

Obviously the new reply box, the message about the redesign, and the changes to the chat box. Ooh, and I just noticed a little Auto-save pop-up when typing this.

And to address the actual point of the thread, I find the fact that the chat box now says "xxx replied to a thread" rather than naming the thread a bit annoying. I like to see if any threads that I like reading have been replied to, and with the new system I can't tell if it is some discussion about WA or a lot of discussion about a different topic that I have no interest in. However, if there is a reason for that change (and there probably is since its been changed, "if it ain't broke don't fix it") then I'm sure I can work around it happy in the knowledge that it is for a greater good. :)

EDIT: I just noticed that when someone commented in Chapter 24 discussion it mentioned that too. I suppose I could use that, but I don't know why it doesn't specify which section of the forum it is in for other topics.

2nd EDIT: Just noticed that what just happened is only for new threads. Could replies do this too perhaps?

The Gatekeeper not telling the thread title in the small chatbox is to prevent the passive spoiling of WA to those that join the forum before catching up (or for those who show up to the forum and forget an episode was released). It shows up for all replies and new posts in the small chat box as User X has replied to a thread.

If you use the full chat box, Gatekeeper will still tell you exactly what the thread was. He has also been modified to acknowledge blog posts, blog comments, new wiki pages, and wiki edits in the full chatbox.

GD_Elite
Aug 5th, 2011, 01:12 PM
The Gatekeeper not telling the thread title in the small chatbox is to prevent the passive spoiling of WA to those that join the forum before catching up (or for those who show up to the forum and forget an episode was released). It shows up for all replies and new posts in the small chat box as User X has replied to a thread.

If you use the full chat box, Gatekeeper will still tell you exactly what the thread was. He has also been modified to acknowledge blog posts, blog comments, new wiki pages, and wiki edits in the full chatbox.

Ok, thanks for the help. Sounds like a good idea to me, and I can still see which threads have been replied to. However, I think a bigger threat to the war on passive spoilers to new users is the recent posts sidebar on the front page. Surely spoilers can get in there quite easily. Well, I'm no expert.

j0be
Aug 5th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Oh, and the new replies did do that, however, for some reason it broke, and then wouldn't say ANYTHING when someone responded. So I turned off that for now until I can take a closer look at it.

Ok, thanks for the help. Sounds like a good idea to me, and I can still see which threads have been replied to. However, I think a bigger threat to the war on passive spoilers to new users is the recent posts sidebar on the front page. Surely spoilers can get in there quite easily. Well, I'm no expert.

Also, about the sidebar, I think we don't have it showing anything posted in Episode Discussions, but maybe we should include Theories.

j0be
Aug 5th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I'm pretty sure the reply thing is fixed now.

Also, I just fixed the blog linking. When posting a new blog it links to the blog, even though at the time that the gatekeeper post is being created the blog hasn't been committed to the database yet. I'm awesome like that.

Kc
Aug 5th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I'm pretty sure the reply thing is fixed now.

Also, I just fixed the blog linking. When posting a new blog it links to the blog, even though at the time that the gatekeeper post is being created the blog hasn't been committed to the database yet. I'm awesome like that.
Agreed...

nikvoodoo
Aug 5th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I just noticed today that there's something wrong with the facebook connectivity or something that is making the facebook "like" status wonky. 945

It looks like the entire area facebook normally takes up has just kinda....asploded (below the thread title)

Creem_Filling
Aug 5th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I just noticed today that there's something wrong with the facebook connectivity or something that is making the facebook "like" status wonky. 945

It looks like the entire area facebook normally takes up has just kinda....asploded (below the thread title)

Wow, this is actually the first time I've noticed that button.... I don't have that problem, but I've had similar problems on this site when I accidentally turned compatibility view on. It made a lot of things bigger and threw everything off of alignment. Is that your problem? I don't know, but it's a possible solution.

Creem_Filling
Aug 5th, 2011, 10:08 PM
It's not that big of a deal and it fixes itself as soon as I click the link but the little icon for the site occasionally switches to the vbulletin icon. And it's only in my favourites menu.
http://i.imgur.com/IAWQ3.jpg

nikvoodoo
Aug 5th, 2011, 10:29 PM
It's fixed now so it must have just been my connection or something like that.

7oddisdead
Aug 6th, 2011, 12:14 AM
I'm sure those who need to work on this are aware..im just adding this here for those us who are primarily mobile posters

Mobile from the were alive style page has posting issues (at least on windows phone7)...ive found that by switching to the mobile dark style, posting abilities have returned...the only thing I can see being overly different/causing the problem is the auto save funtion...its not on the mobile dark..perhaps that's what's affecting viewing main style pc -vs-.mobile..
Just trying to help. I know the mobile problems are of a lesser concern right how..but at least others are now informed

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Aug 6th, 2011, 01:29 AM
I'm sure those who need to work on this are aware..im just adding this here for those us who are primarily mobile posters

Mobile from the were alive style page has posting issues (at least on windows phone7)...ive found that by switching to the mobile dark style, posting abilities have returned...the only thing I can see being overly different/causing the problem is the auto save funtion...its not on the mobile dark..perhaps that's what's affecting viewing main style pc -vs-.mobile..
Just trying to help. I know the mobile problems are of a lesser concern right how..but at least others are now informed

While WP7's browser is pretty good, it still relies on a mix of IE7 and 8. I currently don't have a phone available to check it (my Omnia7 is updating) but IF the problem is the browser instead of the site, it'll probably be solved with Mango (which brings IE9, as you know).

Someone with Android and/or iOS should try to see if the problem is there, too.

Any volunteers?

7oddisdead
Aug 6th, 2011, 01:47 AM
I believe it is a browser issue. Compatibility with the auto save function being the biggest problem. I probably can check Android for similar pro lens tomorrow if nobody else has before me..

And yes...mango..cant wait.

nikvoodoo
Aug 6th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Not sure if this is upgrade related or not but since the upgrade I've noticed that when the small chatbox finishes loading its never scrolled to the bottom. I've also noticed that when you scroll up to the top of the chatbox to see what you might have missed, if a new message gets posted it auto scrolls back to the bottom making it hard/impossible to catch up without going to the full chatbox or the archive.

GD_Elite
Aug 7th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Not sure if this is upgrade related or not but since the upgrade I've noticed that when the small chatbox finishes loading its never scrolled to the bottom. I've also noticed that when you scroll up to the top of the chatbox to see what you might have missed, if a new message gets posted it auto scrolls back to the bottom making it hard/impossible to catch up without going to the full chatbox or the archive.

I've just noticed this too. I think it is update related, because I hadn't noticed it before.

Also, about the sidebar, I think we don't have it showing anything posted in Episode Discussions, but maybe we should include Theories.

I think that realistically the Theories section of the forum is used as a spoilers allowed section, so it might make sense to take that off the recent posts bit, and make it official that spoilers are allowed there. However, depending on your view of how major spoilers can be, it might make sense to even take the characters section off too, because I'm sure passive spoilers can come from there too.

One more thing that I think might be update related, but incredibly minor. Sometimes, when I am replying to a thread and there is no line beneath the one I am currently typing, the bottoms of some letters get cut off, like g,q and y. It makes no difference to the final outcome of the post. As I said, incredibly minor, but I just enjoy picking holes in things. :)

Also, when I preview a post and then continue typing, the text already in the box moves about a bit sometimes.

But seriously, those last 2 points are very minor, and I'm sure you guys have more important things to do than tweaking code to fix them.

Kc
Aug 9th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I received an inquiry from a member who currently can't post:
>>>> So I'm not sure if there is an actual "troubleshooting" area, but I will tell my problem to the admins. I've already told Nikvoodoo about this problem, Whenever there is a page with the new text box on it I cannot type in it. There isn't even the box that you type in, everything is the same except that the area where you write text is missing. It doesn't just not appear either, it's there for about two milliseconds before disappearing.

>>> What browser and version are you using? Is it a mobile device?
>>> -Kc
>>>

>> I'm using Google Chrome, the version I have is up-to-date. I have
>> heard that mobile devices have been having issues as well, but I have
>> only been using Google Chrome. I know it is a browser related problem
>> because the text box shows up on Internet Explorer.

> Thanks! Just to help us out can you send the exact browser version?

13.0.782.107 m

--------------------------
Any ideas?

Kc
Aug 9th, 2011, 03:50 PM
We def need to fix this "leave page" or "stay on page" problem. It keeps happening randomly...
*UPDATE:
I hear it has something to do with the autosave feature. If we keep having issues, I might disable it.

Kc
Aug 9th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Testing out the reply box from chrome...

GD_Elite
Aug 20th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Another small problem I am now seeing with this posting box, is that when I type and it gets to the end of the line, if I have started typing a word, the word is split into two parts with some at the top line, and some at the start of the next line. Whereas normally the whole word would shift down onto the second line. I didn't notice this before the update, or even just after it first came out. However, I am now using Safari as IE has died for me, so maybe its just Safari that is doing it.

Kc
Aug 29th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Ok, so the forum redirect thing was an issue:Website Ref (https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/384217-Invalid-Redirect-URL-After-Upgrade)
BUT that seemed to fix it. BUT that fix then caused older software to get glitchy. For instance the chatbox requires the www now in the&nbsp;beginning&nbsp;to work properly. Not a big deal.&nbsp;<br>NOW let's see if the "Leave Page" error is fixed now that the www has been added.

----Update. Stupid Chrome sent me this: No data receivedUnable to load the webpage because the server sent no data

cupcakezombie
Aug 30th, 2011, 01:32 AM
When I get logged out of chat the log in is breaking the chat box. It actually logs out of the forum altogether and causes a drawing error with the chat box. Logging back in fixes the problem.
Let me know if you need a screen shot or anything

j0be
Aug 30th, 2011, 06:25 AM
When I get logged out of chat the log in is breaking the chat box. It actually logs out of the forum altogether and causes a drawing error with the chat box. Logging back in fixes the problem.
Let me know if you need a screen shot or anything

On it...

Edit: Should be fixed... I think.

Creem_Filling
Sep 3rd, 2011, 06:23 AM
It won't let me sign into the "Content" page. I know that button isn't even there anymore, and as soon as I click the "Forum" tab it signs me in.

MrScott101
Sep 3rd, 2011, 07:40 AM
noticed that when i'm inactive in chat I can't log in without refreshing the screen

rolsskk
Sep 13th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I'm getting an annoying dialog box spam saying that I should download iespell to be able to spellcheck on the forums. Anyone know what that's about?

j0be
Sep 13th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Ehrm... No idea. will do some research, but I'm thinking it's an IE specific issue.