PDA

View Full Version : question

reaper239
Jul 25th, 2011, 07:43 AM
this is something that's kind of bothered me since the first chapter (i only started listening in the past week so chapter one wasn't so long ago for me) the guys are reserve right? well reserve work out of regular army bases so, where were the rest of the units stationed at that base? there's no way there would be no one on duty and not all of the soldiers would have been deployed into the city as some would have to maintain a fallback position. then you have your support staff, the desk jockies etc. even if they were in the nasty guard there is always someone at the base to call up the unit and they have to have people to guard the base. so where is everyone? was this simply an oversight during the writing or did something happen at the base just before our soldier boys got there? just curious, if anyone knows, please post up.

Grognaurd
Jul 25th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I would say probably some of both. I get the impressions that the base is more like a National Guard post. But, KC has also stated that when Angel calls Michael he was in error. He says this is Lt Angel. But, Angel is first name... When I "see" zombies running 60 miles an hour and another group of zombies willing to do my taxes, I take a little bit on faith and suspend some disbelief.

Kc
Jul 25th, 2011, 08:18 AM
this is something that's kind of bothered me since the first chapter (i only started listening in the past week so chapter one wasn't so long ago for me) the guys are reserve right? well reserve work out of regular army bases so, where were the rest of the units stationed at that base? there's no way there would be no one on duty and not all of the soldiers would have been deployed into the city as some would have to maintain a fallback position. then you have your support staff, the desk jockies etc. even if they were in the nasty guard there is always someone at the base to call up the unit and they have to have people to guard the base. so where is everyone? was this simply an oversight during the writing or did something happen at the base just before our soldier boys got there? just curious, if anyone knows, please post up.

The base in question is a real base, and there are very few full time people there, maybe a handful at most. And Saul, Michael and Angel didn't encounter them while they were there.

reaper239
Jul 25th, 2011, 09:36 AM
i hope that didn't come across condescending or anything (wasn't trying to sound like an ass or nothing) i knew the base was real (unless i'm mistaken i think there are two army reserve centers in LA) and when not active that there are very few people there, i was just wondering if there was some special reason no one else had been sighted or if it just came down to coincidence and size. i'm not too up on reserve procedures i just know that when they are doing their training or they are active they work out of active army bases as opposed to the reserve centers, that's really the only place i've encountered active reservists.

ClearSights
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Maybe they had been attacked already and turned, because the captain was there and had already been turned

reaper239
Jul 25th, 2011, 11:21 AM
i thought of that but the guys didn't mention any signs of struggle and the captain was out of the base, a good ways away it seemed. maybe him being away was just a result of him following the rest of the zombies once he turned but i don't know.

one more question, just out of curiosity, how long did it take for the infection to go from patient zero to taking the entire city of LA?

nikvoodoo
Jul 25th, 2011, 11:47 AM
one more question, just out of curiosity, how long did it take for the infection to go from patient zero to taking the entire city of LA?

Look at the map (by clicking on the hyperlink). It's the one Michael wrote out when he, Angel, and Saul marked out everyone's story following their first journal entries.

Kc
Jul 25th, 2011, 12:09 PM
i hope that didn't come across condescending or anything (wasn't trying to sound like an ass or nothing) i knew the base was real (unless i'm mistaken i think there are two army reserve centers in LA) and when not active that there are very few people there, i was just wondering if there was some special reason no one else had been sighted or if it just came down to coincidence and size. i'm not too up on reserve procedures i just know that when they are doing their training or they are active they work out of active army bases as opposed to the reserve centers, that's really the only place i've encountered active reservists.
Oh no, you didn't come across as condescending. There's a lot of things we don't really cover because they aren't what we're focusing on at the time. We might shift focus from time to time and give a different perspective when it assists in the story...

reaper239
Jul 25th, 2011, 12:26 PM
cool, i reread the original post and realized it could be taken the wrong way.

anyhow, nik thnx for the map, from what i can see it looks like it would've taken about 3-4 hours, that sound about right?

nikvoodoo
Jul 25th, 2011, 12:45 PM
cool, i reread the original post and realized it could be taken the wrong way.

anyhow, nik thnx for the map, from what i can see it looks like it would've taken about 3-4 hours, that sound about right?

Just a little less than that. The outbreak started around 9:00am. The last marked time I can decipher on the map is 11am. So it took 2 hours for LA to fall. There are a couple marks hidden that can't be read, but it seems like those are supposed to be 11am. To get out to the arena probably would have taken until 12pm or later, but in terms of the bulk of the city: about 2 hours.

If only the people of LA weren't so concerned about fitness! Maybe that's how their zombies are able to run so fast!

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 26th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Traditional Reservists (1 weekend a month types) are assigned to where there are openings for their MOS. They very well could be assigned to some podunk unit in the middle of a city.

The point about support staff being there was a good one, but it would depend on what time of day it is really. Army types like to get in PT before work and stroll in around 1000 hrs (leedo...) LOL. The mission wouldn't need the building to be manned 24/7. At the bare minimum, they'd have a contracted civilian guard or two manning the entrance because they have weapons stored inside.