PDA

View Full Version : The Special Weapon

Blood & Ice Cream
Jul 12th, 2011, 01:18 PM
sooo.. i am the only one thinking that Scratch is going to appear on a roof top toting a M72 LAW rocket launcher just when a helicopter flies by?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/USAF_M72_LAW.jpg

GD_Elite
Jul 12th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Yeh could be. I'm sure any other rocket launcher type weapon could do the same job too.

CantWaitForSeason3
Jul 12th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Burt was stocking a nuclear warhead. Check out http://crapaganda.com/science-fact/from-bat-bombs-to-goo-guns-crazy-military-experiments/.

"In the 1960s, the Army had more than two thousand guns meant for launching small nukes, each with a maximum range of only 2.5 miles. The Army lit one of those firecrackers in the Nevada desert during the summer of 1962 while Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy watched. It exploded only 1.7 miles from where it was launched, and was the last above-ground nuclear explosion conducted by the United States."

If the tankers didnt do enough damage, this might. This would be why Durai is leaving town.

Osiris
Jul 12th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Burt was stocking a nuclear warhead. Check out http://crapaganda.com/science-fact/from-bat-bombs-to-goo-guns-crazy-military-experiments/.

"In the 1960s, the Army had more than two thousand guns meant for launching small nukes, each with a maximum range of only 2.5 miles. The Army lit one of those firecrackers in the Nevada desert during the summer of 1962 while Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy watched. It exploded only 1.7 miles from where it was launched, and was the last above-ground nuclear explosion conducted by the United States."

If the tankers didnt do enough damage, this might. This would be why Durai is leaving town.

And we know Burt was stocking said weapon how?

CantWaitForSeason3
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:09 PM
And we know Burt was stocking said weapon how?

They stole it from his shop. Locked and Loaded.

Wicked Sid
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:23 PM
How the hell could Burt have concealed what is, in essence, a fat boy from Fallout 3? With any ammo for it (Goddamn mini-nukes)?

Osiris
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:41 PM
They stole it from his shop. Locked and Loaded.

Chapter/timecode?

Miss
Jul 12th, 2011, 06:35 PM
How the hell could Burt have concealed what is, in essence, a fat boy from Fallout 3? With any ammo for it (Goddamn mini-nukes)?

I totally agree with you it would have come up at least ONCE in conversations with at least Saul, Angel or Micheal about defence plans against the mallers or THEM

Bravo Team Leader
Jul 12th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Hmmm Burts got a SADM . End it fast so we won't suffer.

Cabbage Patch
Jul 12th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I like the idea of a LAW, or maybe an RPG-7 or some other bazooka-type weapon. It's totally in keeping with Burt's other souveniers, the Claymores, the 50 Cal, etc., things he would have used in Vietnam. Pocket nukes, chemical weapons or other weapons-of-mass-destruction are a little over the top.

Creem_Filling
Jul 12th, 2011, 11:21 PM
I don't have a very extensive knowledge of military and it's weapons, but of what I do know, I think the weapon is going to be the M6 Grindell/Galilean Nonlinear Rifle. It was built for taking out tanks, but can sure as hell be an anti-air weapon too.
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100412150428/halo/images/thumb/3/3a/Halo_Reach_-_Model_8_SP_Laser.png/830px-Halo_Reach_-_Model_8_SP_Laser.png (http://halo.wikia.com/index.php?title=M6_Grindell/Galilean_Nonlinear_Rifle&image=Halo_Reach_-_Model_8_SP_Laser-png)

Grognaurd
Jul 13th, 2011, 07:36 AM

Yea, it was called the Davy Crocket.

I do not think you are too far off the mark with this one. If raydon labs, or whatever the name of the mega corporation is has enough juice to have a top secret experiment spanning the globe and literally wipes humanity off the map with it suffers a hickup, I could see them gathering a few davy croketts in some accounting gimicks. Burt is of the right age to be a part of those DIP (Die In Place) Divisions to be stationed with those weapons in the Fulda Gap. Interestingly, World War Z references this type of thinking when Wainio (battle for yonkers) says the last of the Fulda-%uck-tards...

Do I actually believe what I wrote above. Probably not. But, there is enough background information to make plausible. Especially when there are zombies running around in the mythos

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Yea, it was called the Davy Crocket.

I do not think you are too far off the mark with this one. If raydon labs, or whatever the name of the mega corporation is has enough juice to have a top secret experiment spanning the globe and literally wipes humanity off the map with it suffers a hickup, I could see them gathering a few davy croketts in some accounting gimicks. Burt is of the right age to be a part of those DIP (Die In Place) Divisions to be stationed with those weapons in the Fulda Gap. Interestingly, World War Z references this type of thinking when Wainio (battle for yonkers) says the last of the Fulda-%uck-tards...

Do I actually believe what I wrote above. Probably not. But, there is enough background information to make plausible. Especially when there are zombies running around in the mythos

Isn't a weapon like that a means of last resort? First thing is they'd have to outrun the thermal blast if they planned on living.
Whatever the weapon is, i'm betting it isn't a 1 and done type like a launcher. It'd have to be something that works on multiple targets. Having said all that, I don't feel that it'll be something so mundane as a BFG (Big F'n Gun) or rocket launcher.

Grognaurd
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:36 AM
It was not last resort like the MIRV city-killers. It was part of normal doctrine, albeit an escalation of conventional munitions. It came out of the 50s when the US believed that a nuclear was winnable. Nuke threat assessment is three; Light-Radiation, Blast and Fallout Radiation. A simple infantry trench at range would protect from Light and Blast. The ground pounders were not the only ones with fun toys. You Air Force guys had the Genie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIR-2_Genie) Basically, an unguided air to air rocket with a nuclear tip. It was designed to take out entire flights of bombers.

But, I agree it is not a RPG or LAW. Davy Crockett is far enough out on the GeeWiz scale to be a contender. But, I got the feeling it was more of a personal weapon.

CantWaitForSeason3
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:51 AM
so maybe it wont be a nuke. would be a nice cliff hanger to end on a BOOM!

What about a tank or submarine? I can hear Scratch opening the hatch just to yell.

GD_Elite
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I'm pretty sure a tank or a submarine wouldn't fit in a safe...

I think when Scratch mentions it she says she doesn't want to use it unless she has to. This in 21-2, at about 9 minutes in for anyone who is interested. This makes it seem quite possible of something pretty devastating like a nuke launcher. Good old Fallout 3.

Dr. Hatchet
Jul 26th, 2011, 08:19 AM
well burt could have had a place they dont know about in his shop

Cabbage Patch
Jul 26th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I still think that talk of nukes or WMDs are an over-reach, unless the safe they're talking about was from some place other than "Locked and Loaded" (Raydon Labs maybe?).

Remember that Burt was a Vietnam era Marine. Every other special weapon he had was something that could have been a souvenier from that service or something that is hard, but not impossible to get through the black market. Small nukes, chemical weapons, etc. are things that NO Marine has access to in the service (their NBC support comes from the Navy) and that even well financed international terrorists have a hard time gaining access to.

And let's not forget that Burt said that "the good stuff" was in the hidden room where Vera and the 50 Cal were hidden, not in the safe that the Mallers emptied.

Don Man
Jul 30th, 2011, 03:47 PM
just wanted to say if anyone said RPG then well done

Cabbage Patch
Jul 31st, 2011, 10:30 AM
I like the idea of a LAW, or maybe an RPG-7 or some other bazooka-type weapon. It's totally in keeping with Burt's other souveniers, the claymores, the 50 cal, etc., things he would have used in vietnam. Pocket nukes, chemical weapons or other weapons-of-mass-destruction are a little over the top.

That's RPG-7 FTW!

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Aug 2nd, 2011, 01:30 PM
I have to say I over thought this one. I was zeroed in on the "Weapon" being something that would be used against the infected. Not once did it dawn on me that whatever it was, would be for the tower. UGH!!

nikvoodoo
Aug 2nd, 2011, 02:43 PM
Maybe it's just me, but the one thing I dislike about this development is this and this alone: The wall safe needed to house an RPG and 10 rounds would have to be quite large, yet the only thing that was described about that safe was it was expertly broken in to. That's why I was so hesitant to go with the idea of something that size being in there. The most general RPG size I can find is just over 3 feet in length and the artwork would support that theory as well.

So add in the size of 10 rounds to the 3 foot long weapon, I call shenanigans that Angel and Saul neglected to note how large that safe was.

Dr. Hatchet
Aug 2nd, 2011, 03:13 PM
sooo.. i am the only one thinking that Scratch is going to appear on a roof top toting a M72 LAW rocket launcher just when a helicopter flies by?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/USAF_M72_LAW.jpg

so close

Dr. Hatchet
Aug 2nd, 2011, 03:14 PM
Maybe it's just me, but the one thing I dislike about this development is this and this alone: The wall safe needed to house an RPG and 10 rounds would have to be quite large, yet the only thing that was described about that safe was it was expertly broken in to. That's why I was so hesitant to go with the idea of something that size being in there. The most general RPG size I can find is just over 3 feet in length and the artwork would support that theory as well.

So add in the size of 10 rounds to the 3 foot long weapon, I call shenanigans that Angel and Saul neglected to note how large that safe was.

wait didnt they say that there were more weapons they didnt get? Maybe they didnt see it in there.

HardKor
Aug 2nd, 2011, 03:17 PM
wait didnt they say that there were more weapons they didnt get? Maybe they didnt see it in there.
Burt had both a wall safe (where the RPG was) that was looted completely and a large walk in vault, where the Tower folk left some weapons.

Dr. Hatchet
Aug 2nd, 2011, 03:19 PM
Well didnt he also call the vault a save too?

HardKor
Aug 2nd, 2011, 03:21 PM
Well didnt he also call the vault a save too?

Yeah but Burt said something about keeping the RPG in the safe and not the vault because he had a buyer coming for it (or something like that) when the outbreak occurred.

nikvoodoo
Aug 2nd, 2011, 03:25 PM
There are no weapons left in Burt's vault. That was one of the things Burt did as leader was go back and empty the vault out.

Cabbage Patch
Aug 2nd, 2011, 03:56 PM
The wall safe needed to house an RPG and 10 rounds would have to be quite large

An RPG can actually fit into a pretty compact space when it's disassembled, so it's conceivable it could fit along with 10 rounds in a largish gun safe. The basic launcher is only about the length and width of a short-barrel shotgun. The anti-tank rounds are rather bulky (second image from top), but the Iranian-made anti-personnel rounds, that are commonly seen in Afghanistan or Iraq, are much more compact (bottom image)
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlY_ALmuAuTjmwZZ4wYIlU2AEztH5aJ NiqHkMwQOv36Oqp8NF7

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Aug 3rd, 2011, 08:53 AM
Nik,

I think they did beat around the bush about it being kinda large when Burt said he had a lot of good stuff in there. Having said that, Who'da thunkit!!
You'd think that thing would have been in the "ROOM" with all the other super dangerous stuff like the claymores.
The big question now is:
do we think Scrath hide it from Durai??

Grognaurd
Aug 3rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
One could have a gun cabinet set into the wall. There are lots of gun cabinets five to six feet tall and almost as wide that are a strong as a safe. But, calling a wall safe is a little miss leading. I was thinking like a 2 x 2 x 2 box. A small nuke would be fun, but as it has been said, a little over the top. But, we have zombies running 50miles per hour...

nikvoodoo
Aug 3rd, 2011, 10:40 AM
But, calling a wall safe is a little miss leading.

That is what I rally against. when I think of a wall safe, I think of the same thing Arthur did: 2x2x2. With a shelf in it that's fixed and can't be removed. That truly limits what could have been in there to hand guns and things of that nature. And Burt saying a lot of good stuff in there could be explosives like C-4. An entire safe full of that would be devastating. You could probably fit 20 bricks of C-4 in a safe like that.

You say gun locker, I immediately think bigger scale, more potential for badness. But neither Angel, Saul, or Burt ever described what the safe looked like. But gun locker isn't what was used to describe it, and I don't think the accompanying sound effect did enough to imply the size of it. You can hear a door creak, and you hear a small echo, which could be made by any size metallic box.

GeneTwo
Dec 5th, 2011, 02:29 AM
Burt had a third secret safe with an m1 tank in it. The Mallers will roll in on it an Burt will mention how he forgot to mention it.

daredevil
Dec 5th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Burt had a third secret safe with an m1 tank in it. The Mallers will roll in on it an Burt will mention how he forgot to mention it.
And then in his fourth safe he will have a F-16 and the mallers will fly to Fort Michael and crash because Scratch has no clue what shes doing and no depth perception.

Grognaurd
Dec 6th, 2011, 06:34 AM
And as long as we are going off the deep end. When Burt wakes up and tells Saul "there is a TANKER outback..." Or maybe "Tank 'round back.." Locked and Loaded is a hell of a lot closer to The Tower than the Depot. Even if it was not a full size tanker truck, it would have been enough to go get them started until they can get more elsewhere.

daredevil
Dec 6th, 2011, 05:54 PM
And as long as we are going off the deep end. When Burt wakes up and tells Saul "there is a TANKER outback..." Or maybe "Tank 'round back.." Locked and Loaded is a hell of a lot closer to The Tower than the Depot. Even if it was not a full size tanker truck, it would have been enough to go get them started until they can get more elsewhere.

Yeah, A tank...... BOOM