PDA

View Full Version : An idea for KC

Ctatyk Frost
Jul 10th, 2011, 09:27 PM
OK, everyone knows that most gun stores will be cleaned out of ammo & guns with any apocalypse. However, the one group of items which seems to be overlooked nearly every time is reloading supplies. There is a gun shop owner who should have been the first to point this out. Guns & ammo are great, but eventually that runs out. What then? I'm hoping that someone in the story thinks of reloading supplies soon. It would give the tower survivors a definite advantage. Don't forget to have them "policing" their brass if you get them reloading because that's the one thing that is reusable.

Feel free to use this idea in any way, shape or form that you desire. It was something that was bugging me recently about zombie stories. I just thought that it might make for a more well rounded story.

Ra1th
Jul 11th, 2011, 01:31 AM
what are reloading supplies?

7oddisdead
Jul 11th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Reloading supplies are places you can purchase the makings for ammunition ...brass, powder ..etc..nice idea

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Jul 11th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Burt should know about them, as he owned a gun shop. I guess it should've appeared sooner on the show because of that, but who knows.

Conf
Jul 11th, 2011, 04:48 AM
They'd have to find some pretty specific equipment but Burt would probably know where to look

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 11th, 2011, 07:32 AM
It's not just about finding the equipment, which is very specific, you have to have the training. The average shooter isn't going to know squat about grains, ammo types or what ammo works best.

This is more for the Idaho militia, end of the world believing, AK47 Bambi hunting, Super NRA membership having, Grizzly Adams types.
It's a good idea in theory but any time they're shooting in this world it's a fight or flight situation. That doesn't leave a lot of time to police your rounds.

Grognaurd
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Well, it is not quiite as out there as Crowbar puts it. A lot of people that shoot a lot reload their own. My brother shoots more than 4 rounds (4x25shots) of skeet / trap a week. He loads his own. Saves $$. I am sure there would be several supply houses in the greater LA area. But, that is about as far back as one can go. today's "gunpowder" is not the same as yesterday's gunpowder and it cannot be made with a little sulfur, black carbon, saltpeter.

I grew up reloading even though I am not a Idaho militia, end of the world believing, AK47 Bambi hunting, Super NRA membership having, Grizzly Adams types. I never lived in Idaho and I am not a fan of the AK. The Ak is for an insurgent or conscript. I am a trained marksman. 8 )

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Well, it is not quiite as out there as Crowbar puts it. A lot of people that shoot a lot reload their own. My brother shoots more than 4 rounds (4x25shots) of skeet / trap a week. He loads his own. Saves $$. I am sure there would be several supply houses in the greater LA area. But, that is about as far back as one can go. today's "gunpowder" is not the same as yesterday's gunpowder and it cannot be made with a little sulfur, black carbon, saltpeter.

I grew up reloading even though I am not a Idaho militia, end of the world believing, AK47 Bambi hunting, Super NRA membership having, Grizzly Adams types. I never lived in Idaho and I am not a fan of the AK. The Ak is for an insurgent or conscript. I am a trained marksman. 8 )

LOL.. despite all that, you still need to be trained to do it and have specific equipment. It's good for static shooting, but how many troops in war have you heard reload? This is essentially the same thing.. you're at war.
I'm sorry about the AK 47 comment, I should have said AR15 bambi hunting...

Kc
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the idea ;) I considered this, but I don't want to get into too many details about it---- *Goes and hides in cave...

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the idea ;) I considered this, but I don't want to get into too many details about it---- *Goes and hides in cave...

So, does that end this thread then?

Osiris
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Any hunter worth his salt knows how to reload his own. In fact, every hunter and ever gun owner that I know (which, granted only totals 54) all have the know-how and equipment to do so. There are presses sold in almost every gun store I've ever been in (granted that tally is lower than owners I know, which totals 16 perhaps 17) and I'm appauled by the thought that someone like Burt would not have a) the equipment or b) the knowledge to do it himself while training 5 others to do it as well. I'm suspending my disbelief enough with the whole zombie apocalypse thing... don't ask me to take THAT leap of faith too.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Its probably more of a question of where and how you live aka your gun lifestyle. If you have a house full of weapons and can name the different ammo manufactures or know about grain then yah, you'd probably be hip to resuing brass.
A guy from 31st street on the south side of Chicago with a .45 vs a guy from Great Falls Mt with a plethora of hunting stuff.. who's more likely to have the knowledge and equipment?

Osiris
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Maybe it's just that I live in Canada... :P

Kc
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I'm suspending my disbelief enough with the whole zombie apocalypse thing... don't ask me to take THAT leap of faith too.
It's safe to assume he's already been doing it. But just don't ask them to police their brass in the field ;)

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Maybe it's just that I live in Canada... :P

See, Grizzly Adams.. LOL

Osiris
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:30 AM
It's safe to assume he's already been doing it. But just don't ask them to police their brass in the field ;)

From your fingertips to God's ears. :cool:

mem
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:31 AM

"there are thousands of them coming around the corner. lets get the F out of here!"
"ok but police your brass first !"

Osiris
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:33 AM
See, Grizzly Adams.. LOL

Grizzly Adams was american.

"there are thousands of them coming around the corner. lets get the F out of here!"
"ok but police your brass first !"

LoL

j0be
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Closed. Everything has been answered.