PDA

View Full Version : Which should we consider canon?

nikvoodoo
Jun 23rd, 2011, 12:17 PM
Now that I've cracked the binding on my season 1 box set and immediately noticed differences in dialogue the thought came to me: which should be considered the official canon of We're Alive?

Everyone has access to the podcast, but as of now only 500 people have the box set. I realize more are coming shortly, but those will be different still. So, my dear forum members, which should be considered the official tale of We're Alive? The podcasts, or the cd sets?

GD_Elite
Jun 23rd, 2011, 12:34 PM
For those of us who haven't bought a box set, could you please put some examples of what is different? Is it major or minor?

HardKor
Jun 23rd, 2011, 12:40 PM
For those of us who haven't bought a box set, could you please put some examples of what is different? Is it major or minor?

Yeah, I'm wondering that myself. Are there differences in facts, or is it just clarifying language?

nikvoodoo
Jun 23rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
Mostly minor things have been brought up. Like Lizzy's eye color that will be corrected in the upcoming release in July (at least I think it is), the start time of the outbreak....basically things brought up in the loopholes and consistency thread that could be corrected by the re-editing and rerelease

The only real reason I bring it up is that the cd sets get a second pass at them for editing and content and things can end up being corrected. So while technically more accurate to the vision Kc and Co. want, it's not the first interaction people have with the series.

cupcakezombie
Jun 23rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
I think the cannon is the corrected versions. But maybe we have a thread somewhere that has the differences, so that people can see what was updated. This might be a good thing for each chapter page on the Wiki, "Updates".
Even some of the downloaded Podcasts are now updated, for example the change of Skittles' voice actor, there are some still out there, but the update is considered correct.

Don Man
Jun 23rd, 2011, 01:56 PM
depends would these box sets be available in all countries?

cupcakezombie
Jun 23rd, 2011, 02:00 PM
depends would these box sets be available in all countries?

The old ones were through the We're Alive store but were shipping from the US (sold out now). The new ones have an offical distributor and can now be sold locally in each country if some one pics them up. Also through the new distributor you can pay to download all of the updated digital versions as well.

nikvoodoo
Jun 23rd, 2011, 07:42 PM
I'm going with podcasts because canon, in my opinion, should be what is available to the masses. Like all the additional endings you can get on a DVD, doesn't make it the actual ending the movie was released with (hence the canonical ending of the film).

I think the cd sets equal out to extras on a DVD (though still amazingly awesome). And unless there is some really big discrepancy between the podcast and the CD sets where the CD set is obviously correct, I think the podcast trumps it because it's the original release and available to more people.

GD_Elite
Jun 24th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I disagree. The podcasts are Wrong. There are contradictions in it, which makes it wrong. I don't really see how there is room for debate on this matter. It's a shame that they arent all the same, but this can be fixed by having a page on the wiki, that says what changes have been made between the two so that people who don't have access to the box set can see the changes.

And this is coming from someone without the box set.

nikvoodoo
Jun 25th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Here's the perfect example of why there can be a debate about it: which version of Blade Runner is canon? There have been 8 different versions of that film and there are people who stand by different Itterations as the definitive canonical telling.

GD_Elite
Jun 25th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I guess by saying I don't see how there is room for debate, I really mean that my mind is firmly made up. There is always room for debate if you like free speech. Or if you are posting on the internet.

If the podcast version is the official version, then what is the explanation for all the loopholes and inconsistencies? Kc has aknowledged that these are wrong, and has fixed them in the boxset version.

Dr. Hatchet
Jun 30th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Sorry new guy here, is there a way we can ask the writters or something? Isn't it really up to them but that aswell can be a problem

nikvoodoo
Jun 30th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Sorry new guy here, is there a way we can ask the writters or something? Isn't it really up to them but that aswell can be a problem

Howdy new guy! Yes, you can ask Kc direct questions at this thread called Ask him Yourself! (http://zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?1267-Ask-Him-Yourself!) The major reason I ask the forum at large vs. Kc is simply because the traditional canon vs. non-canon battles get waged among the audience of a product. I thought it would interesting to see people's opinions on the matter.

Solanine
Jul 5th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Podcasts. Kc better not go all George Lucas on us.

Nullifier
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Podcasts. Kc better not go all George Lucas on us.
lol yeah.
podcasts, simply because you'll start to confuse non box set owners.

got into a rather heated debate once with a chump after I had the tag Han shot first as my sig......And Han did, there's nothing wrong with that, he's a rogue smuggler working outside of the law, so when Greedo tries to take him to Jabba for the Bounty.....BAM, no big deal, but then old Georgie feels the need to get all Politically Correct on us & changes the cgi to show Greedo shooting first......... turns out this frakking chump had never even seen the original version, he had no place & no right to go debating something he knew nothing about.

Pikepaw
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:43 AM
I downloaded the audiobook, which I am just assuming (correct me if I'm wrong) the same as the CD box set. It does not have Lizzie's line, "Zip it Miss Rumour-Mill..." that she says to Riley in Chapter Six. I don't think the different dialogue is bad, it actually explains more about Lizzie's character. But that "Miss Rumour-Mill" part was so entertaining. I guess it could make me smile whether it was canon or not, but I like to believe the official version is that Lizzie said that to Riley

Re1ndeer
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I can see the arguments for each side. But, my main question is, what are the differences between the two? Is it just the slight dialogue changes or is it something really important?

Tandem25
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:44 AM
lol yeah.
podcasts, simply because you'll start to confuse non box set owners.

got into a rather heated debate once with a chump after I had the tag Han shot first as my sig......And Han did, there's nothing wrong with that, he's a rogue smuggler working outside of the law, so when Greedo tries to take him to Jabba for the Bounty.....BAM, no big deal, but then old Georgie feels the need to get all Politically Correct on us & changes the cgi to show Greedo shooting first......... turns out this frakking chump had never even seen the original version, he had no place & no right to go debating something he knew nothing about.

That is a PERFECT example! Thank you.
Nik I'd like to cite Nullifier v. Lucas for this case and submit Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope as Exhibit A

Kc
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I guess by saying I don't see how there is room for debate, I really mean that my mind is firmly made up. There is always room for debate if you like free speech. Or if you are posting on the internet.

If the podcast version is the official version, then what is the explanation for all the loopholes and inconsistencies? Kc has aknowledged that these are wrong, and has fixed them in the boxset version.

There are very few changes with the dialogue and such with the box set. Nothing big like the changes Lucas made. There are very few lines that got cut or changed. The biggest one, was Lizzy's eye color, and I'll tell you why that is. When we originally recorded the first podcast there was a different actor for Lizzy. She had blue eyes, so I included it in the story. I sometimes take pieces of the real person and put it in the story. When we replaced her, the new girl had green eyes. So I made the mistake of changing it with the new person, and forgot that I had it a different way for the first person.

Should I change the podcast version? Perhaps. Does it change the story? No. The big reason why is I would have to dig through several different versions to try and get back to that version and swap it out. If it was a big plot hole, then I definitely would. We replaced skittles int he podcast version because that was something big.

What's the main difference with the CD and pay-for download versions? That they have been remastered. We polished them in editing with slightly different music and sometimes sound fx. It doesn't change the story like Lucas's versions of Star Wars. A big difference is the levels. We go through and balance it out on more professional speakers that we can get a better and more accurate way of measuring the sound levels. When I edit from week to week, the levels aren't always perfect. You can quote the podcast version or the CD version and there really isn't a difference in the story. Although tempting, we aren't going to go back and add in new scenes or something that the podcast listener wouldn't be able to experience.