PDA

View Full Version : Which stargate do you prefer?

shric debar
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Which out of the three stargate programmes do you prefer and why?
me i prefer the original SG-1 though i like atlantis almost as much.

Magrat
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Having sat down to re-watch all of stargate sg1's 10 seasons and two movies and sga's 5 seasons prior to watching universe, I really got a feel for the direction they were heading in. The natural evolution from sg1 and Atlantis, especially the movies and the later seasons, was exactly what universe delivered. For me it made sense & was a really enjoyable character-driven show.

Some friends really didn't like it because it didn't 'feel like stargate', but they were re-watching old comedic fav's and so i feel they were slightly biased with nostalgia. Universe is the logical continuation of the other two and i felt it encapsulated the best bits of the others and would have been a spectacular series if allowed to continue. I loved both seasons of it (and of course am an enormous sg1 and sga fan!)

Cabbage Patch
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I'm a big fan of all the Stargate franchises, but I enjoyed SG Universe the most. The others were great yarns and have enormous re-watch potential, but they became predictable, even formulaic (setup minutes 1-10, adventure minutes 11-20, tragedy and dispair minutes 21-30, O'Neill/Carter/Jackson/Shepard/McKay saves the day minutes 30-37, funny annecdote minutes 38-40). Universe kept you wondering from episode to episode, and now, apparently, forever.

Tandem25
Jun 18th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I'm a big fan of all the Stargate franchises, but I enjoyed SG Universe the most. The others were great yarns and have enormous re-watch potential, but they became predictable, even formulaic (setup minutes 1-10, adventure minutes 11-20, tragedy and dispair minutes 21-30, O'Neill/Carter/Jackson/Shepard/McKay saves the day minutes 30-37, funny annecdote minutes 38-40). Universe kept you wondering from episode to episode, and now, apparently, forever.
Very good points. I feel very much the same way. I was very sad that they cancelled the show and decided against another movie. From what I've read the franchise is dead without hope of resurrection.

Zombiehead
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:44 PM
The only reason I didn't watch SG-1 regularly was because there was something better to watch at the time. The episodes I did see were interesting and I liked the casting. I couldn't tune into Atlantis for more than 2 minutes. Never saw the other.

Ctatyk Frost
Jun 19th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I had to vote for Universe. I loved how it was more character driven & I was emotionally invested enough that it made me angry every time that they did something to Eli.... When is it "enough" for picking on one character????

Good analysis Cabbage Patch!

Mando
Jun 19th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I voted for Stargate Universe..too bad it was cancelled :(

Pikepaw
Jun 20th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I love both SG1 and Atlantis...hard to choose. I met Christopher Judge this last weekend, he is really cool

Drew227598
Jun 20th, 2011, 04:04 PM
This is the first of me hearing they cancelled SGU and honestly it sucks! I made it all the way through SG1 and about 4/5 through SGA and was really getting into SGU, I loved how it was moving the story along. I guess all good things must come to an end =(

Malinari
Jun 20th, 2011, 04:10 PM
They left SGU open to further developments, but knowing SyFy (God I hate that stupid name) nothing is likely to come of it.

COsurvivor
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I am split between Atlantis and Universe... I met the cast and think the guy that played Ronon Dex (Jason Momoa ).

Universe was cool, wish it went on longer...

SG1 is still the one to compare to, but...

Nullifier
Jul 15th, 2011, 09:30 AM
SGU for me, it got past that "food for the soul" for the most part, quite dark compared to the others.