PDA

View Full Version : Is "Paul" literate?

Creem_Filling
Jun 16th, 2011, 05:35 PM
If he can read the codes on the doors, do you think it's possible that he can write? We saw the zombies with the numbers on their arms. I think it's possible that he was the one who wrote those. I can't see any purpose for it, unless he is trying to organize an army or something. And maybe in future episodes he could cause some hell with this by writing a note to the tower or some wonky crap like that.

ClearSights
Jun 16th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I believe the letters on there arms (or the small ones at least) are the test subject number. Which was put there by scientist.

And for Paul, My theory is that he was there test subject that they were training, and I believe that he has the intelligence of a parrot. The scientist would sit down with him and repeat saying over and over again till he could repeat them. For example "I'm Paul."

nikvoodoo
Jun 16th, 2011, 07:04 PM
"Paul" didn't read the code on the door. The Tower removed the note after Latch and Scratch infiltrated their "top notch" security system. Lizzy and Real Paul had to call the code down to the guy and he had issues entering the code. So that's technically not literacy, but it is cognitive awareness (to be able to hear/understand speech, and to be able manipulate the door lock). Speech is another thing all together, but is also not considered literacy.

So we have seen evidence of higher brain function (and I made two threads dedicated to those elsewhere 'round these parts), but even our recent ancestors even as close as the previous century could talk and manipulate objects but were unable to read and write. There's still no evidence that any of the zombies can do those tasks.

StickUpKid
Jun 16th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I thought the number were like prisoner number like prisoner 22343

Creem_Filling
Jun 16th, 2011, 07:18 PM
"Paul" didn't read the code on the door.

The other tower remember? They had the code on the door and the zombie (which was assumed to be "Paul") got in that way. And when they got to the colony and they had the code on the door Pegs said "I would remove that" and Viktor laughed at her. Because Pegs had knowledge that the other tower was busted into because they had the code on the door.

Pikepaw
Jun 16th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Well it was only the number 5. Unless this one of the first or there are a limited number of "little ones", it seems odd that it would have only one digit. For it to be an identification number I mean. Maybe the numbers designate types. Say 1=standard biter 2=runner 3=jumper 4=behemoth 5=little one or something like that. I'm not saying that is what the other ones are numbered, I'm just making an example for my guess. The only other time that someone looked at zombie flesh up close was Angel investigating the behemoth at the base. In that case he doesn't describe the creature's arms. Also, given how big Behemoths are, maybe the number was tattooed underneath it, out of sight.

Also, I don't believe "Paul" can read, but I wouldn't leave a code up in either case, never can be too careful with zombies running around. Also you know, Mallers. Like Nik, I don't believe our Godkingzombie pimp friend is super smart compared to humans. He is smart for a zombie, but I seriously question if he is smarter than any person with above average intelligence. We humans are taken off guard however, because we don't expect the zombies to think

nikvoodoo
Jun 16th, 2011, 07:33 PM
[COLOR="orange"]The other tower remember?

Can you give the chapter and time hack where this information was discovered? Because from what I remember (and have gone back to listen to) Samantha, Kalani, and Hope all said they don't know how the zombies got in. They said the building was secure (Kalani claiming better than the Tower) and then suddenly one got in. It's never said how that one got in.

Michael is the one who said they should remove the code, not Pegs. And the reason is he assumes the zombies can reason from his interactions with them, but they've never seen them read. The Tower has seen the zombies set traps, talk, use logic and reason. But no zombie has been seen reading anything in the series to my knowledge.

Creem_Filling
Jun 16th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Can you give the chapter and time hack where this information was discovered? Because from what I remember (and have gone back to listen to) Samantha, Kalani, and Hope all said they don't know how the zombies got in. They said the building was secure (Kalani claiming better than the Tower) and then suddenly one got in. It's never said how that one got in.

Michael is the one who said they should remove the code, not Pegs. And the reason is he assumes the zombies can reason from his interactions with them, but they've never seen them read. The Tower has seen the zombies set traps, talk, use logic and reason. But no zombie has been seen reading anything in the series to my knowledge.

You've got me doubting myself now, but I'm gonna relisten tomorow and try to get that info. I've listened to the story two times and my friends and I thought that they remembered him reading too, so I felt pretty confident that he could. But I may have misunderstood.