PDA

View Full Version : Lock'n Loaded - Guns, Ammo, Military and Survival Stuff

Pages : [1] 2

manintrees
Feb 27th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I didn't dig too deep so if this has been done to death I'll delete the post.
What do you think would be the best weapons in the following classes. Here's my wish list:

Gun: AK-47 - An M-16 is a very close runner up due to is greater accuracy but the incredible reliability and power of the 7.26mm round make the AK-47 my choice. I flip flopped on this decision several times.

DIY Melee: Large Hammer - I would never want to get close enough to use a melee weapon but a Large Hammer would be the best choice, IMO. The only way to put a zombie down is to hurt the brain and issuing enough blunt trauma would be difficult at best. A crowbar is a classic DIY weapon but they have a few limitations. 1. They are hard to hold onto when you swing hard. 2. If you use the nail-pulling end, the sharp part isn't angled well for inflicting damage and if you are able to get it to stick in a Z's head, it may be difficult to get out.

I think the worst weapon choice ever would be a chainsaw. They are heavy, loud, can be hard to start, and the greatest problem is that due to the rotation of the chain, they would spray the user with a ton of zombie blood.

Teethingbiscuit
Feb 27th, 2011, 08:35 PM
A simple hollow point .22 rifle could be best, or perhaps my favorite round the .22 magnum followed by the thump of a 30 caliber anything. Of course trumping that would be, whatever you have is going to be the best, as long as there is thorough training. (way to go Bert)
After all the ammo is gone I would hope I had enough training with knight ware. Broadsword and greased armor. You Can't Bite This! or hold it!
Teeth

Funny Muffins
Feb 27th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Umm.
Maybe this should be in the Off Topic Forum..

:P

manintrees
Feb 27th, 2011, 10:15 PM
A simple hollow point .22 rifle could be best, or perhaps my favorite round the .22 magnum followed by the thump of a 30 caliber anything. Of course trumping that would be, whatever you have is going to be the best, as long as there is thorough training. (way to go Bert)
After all the ammo is gone I would hope I had enough training with knight ware. Broadsword and greased armor. You Can't Bite This! or hold it!
Teeth

Yes, a .22 Magnum would be the best. Brain mushing capability and you could carry a ton of rounds.

manintrees
Feb 27th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Umm.
Maybe this should be in the Off Topic Forum..

:P

I agree that this thread is misplaced. Is it possible to migrate a thread?

Zombiehead
Feb 28th, 2011, 12:57 AM
I agree that this thread is misplaced. Is it possible to migrate a thread?
Moved to Everything Else :)

Beaumont
Feb 28th, 2011, 03:36 AM
I would get one of those shark bite suits and cover up as much as possible and then for weapons I would have a repeating crossbow and a few good handguns equipped with silencers to avoid swarms and detection. I think a good sword/machete would also be great to have.

j0be
Feb 28th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Since we're discussion equipment, I think it only fair to also address garb. I believe a maskless wetsuit would be very helpful in the We're Alive universe. All your perspiration would be retained inside the suit, masking your scent. Keeping the mask off helps your peripheral vision, which is absolutely crucial. Also, a wetsuit doesn't encumber your movement like many other clothing choices would with the same benefits.

As for weaponry: ranged weaponry, I might choose a .22 with CB caps. Basically it causes you firing to sound more like a thud than a bang.
For melee, I know you chose a hammer, but I would lean more towards an ice pick. The kind that climbers use.

Teethingbiscuit
Feb 28th, 2011, 07:38 AM
J0be, You addressed my concern and turned it to a positive. I worried your wetsuit would become a sweat suit. Long periods of time would likely not be too healthy. I like your Ice pick idea and would like a last stand with a bowie and tomahawk.
Teeth

j0be
Feb 28th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I actually avoided the knife. One of the things that I heard from multiple sources (can't remember any at the moment) is while wielding a knife, self inflicted cuts are very common. With this being a fluid transfer pathogen/virus, the knife could cause this to transfer to you. It does let you fight in ultra close proximity, however, which can't be overlooked. You don't need a full swing to get it working. Hmm. I might actually for ultra-close lean towards a screwdriver or spike. Basically, that alleviates a cutting edge with a stabbing one. Less chance of accidentally injury.

Teethingbiscuit
Feb 28th, 2011, 08:59 AM
j0be,
Correctomundo, In a knife fight the loser has a quick death and the winner usually has a slow death. Or, is that sword fighting. Same difference I suppose. I've held a knife for years and have faith in my experience, not to say I need to learn more. If you are interested in close combat look on website http://www.paladin-press.com/
In my opinion training is the biggest factor of the tool you choose and probability of survival.
Teethingtabs

Triggernator
Feb 28th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I would like to point out a few points
1) any kind of melee weapon bears the possibility of becoming imbeded in a zombies skull, leaving you weaponless during a group situation = zombie chum or worse. I would recommend a rubber mallet. It has the weight and force to crush skulls with the added benefit that it would rebound, allowing for repeated and rapid use.
2) a .22 caliber round may have the power to pierce a standard Zombies skull and kill it, however with Behemoths and other variants of zombies the rounds may lack the punch to do significant damage. Take the 5.56mm rounds fired by the M16 used in the story. The rounds had little effect on the Behemoth, and with the .22 round being smaller and slower, I don't want to be in that situation. I personally go for the 7.62 fired by a AK-47. Bigger rounds may well have the punch needed. I would also like to see how a Behemoth stands up to the .50 cal fired by the Desert Eagle.
3) the use of suppressors really needs to be coupled with sub-sonic rounds. No point using a silencer when the rounds themselves break the sound barrier and make a "crack" noise when fired as anyone who has had a supersonic plane nearby would tell you.
4) the best kind of armor I would guess is a stab-proof vest with sleeves and a collar. This would stop any zombie bites to the upper body and prevent infection that way. However there may be "crawlers" at ground level and this won't help against them.

j0be
Feb 28th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I definitely like your take on it Triggernator. You approached it more in a tank-like fashion. I was looking at it in more of a stealth manner.

I intended the .22 to stay more silent, but still have range without causing any wear on the person. A .22 is very light weight as well, making very portable (except in scale).
I do like the rubber mallet, except that your force has to be enough to crush a skull, which means you have to exert much more force per blow, and possibly wearing yourself out. If you keep a piercing melee weapon VERY sharp, and avoid anything with serrations, you will have less problems pulling it out. Also try to avoid sharp blade with a large surface area, as this will cause more friction, and therefore making it harder to pull out.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 28th, 2011, 10:46 AM
LOL.. hey guys and gals. Head to Amazon.com and build your own Zombie Survival equipment list.. look under listmania and give it a go. it'll give you a better visual of what you're actually looking for.

On the topic of rifles. The AK 47 is cheaper to produce and has better reliablity than the M16. You'd spend considerably less time cleaning it. You also have to throw in the recoil for firing anything with that large caliber.
The M16 is more accurate and is more adaptable (meaning you can add more "Stuff" to it") and has virtually no recoil. You aren't flinching by your 5th magazine. You'd most def have to clean the bastard after all those rounds!

The 7.62 would esentially be overkill when dealing with normal zombies or in the Tower because they'll pass through flesh and walls, thus increasing friendly casualties. Like Burt shouldn't be using Shirley for anything other than killing Behemoths and Ink. His .357 revolver will work on everything else.
The 5.56 round isn't as hard to find and the rounds tend to shatter once they impact anything harder than bone.
It really comes down to which weapon you're trained and comfortable with.
Me.. I'm going with option 3 and 4.
Crowbar -which aren't that hard to hold on to despite what was said above and give you better standoff distance. They also will give you increased striking power due to the increased momentum. You also can use it to break into crap. I'd sharpen the teeth on the non business end to make it.. more business like. Now you basically have an stabbing edged weapon.
4- Shotgun.. nothing like it for stopping power in an urban setting.

Teethingbiscuit
Feb 28th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I'll hand it to you Bar you've got your ideal armory in order.
I've been able to take some very big Bull beef with a 22Mag mostly because I knew where to shoot em. The nice thing about a 22 is the scramble effect, not strong enough typically to go through two bones so it will bounce around in the skull. To that order, there was the odd beef that was rather resistant to my Mag and I needed a backup. I would like to reach for a .308 or a 7.62 DPMS, then to my shotgun and down to the .45 springfield XDM. Then to melee weapons.
Toothless grin

wooly
Feb 28th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Caliber debates are fine, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned sound suppression. If a primary attractor is noise, do you really want to make those big booms and bring the swarm?

I'll take a 22 semi-auto with a screw-on suppressor. Quiet, efficient, and lightweight even when carrying 500 rounds. Easily manageable recoil for faster follow-up shots.

Still would need something bigger for behemoths or vehicles, but this simple setup would get you through 99% of the zombie apocalypse.

Melee weapons are over-rated in the zombie context. Striking distance = splash distance, and you can't afford just one drop on you in these circumstances.

cycogod
Feb 28th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Lasky, Guard at Walleyworld: It's a BB gun!

--The automatic shotgun from the movie Expendables.--fun stuff there kids

ObamaCat
Feb 28th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I think under the circumstances conflict should be kept to a minimum and generally avoided. I am neither a ballistics nor a melee expert, but I think as for guns I would roll out with a Burt-like revolver, or, if I could get my hands on it, anything silenced. As for melee weapons I don't really have a side on the blunt/blade debate, but I think if I was forced to choose I would probably go with blunt, something like a hammer or a rubber mallet. I wouldn't really want to have to use a melee weapon at all because I would never want to be in that close proximity to a zomb. Gearwise I really dig j0be's wetsuit idea. And finally for the behemoths, I think unconventional weapons are definitely in order. I think rigging up some improvised explosives and crashing a building on top of them like Angel and Kahlani would probably be your best bet. But if behemoths can't swim, maybe drowning them is the best option?

Teethingbiscuit
Mar 1st, 2011, 06:05 PM
Lasky, Guard at Walleyworld: It's a BB gun!

--The automatic shotgun from the movie Expendables.--fun stuff there kids

AA-12 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c
Didn't get to see any frag-12 rounds in the Predators though don't know about the Expendables. imagine 175meters with a shotgun!
Teeth

ObamaCat
Mar 1st, 2011, 09:23 PM
Didn't get to see any frag-12 rounds in the Predators though don't know about the Expendables. imagine 175meters with a shotgun!
Teeth

I didn't know it was possible to be in love with a weapon. Wow, scratch my revolver idea, I'll roll out with the AA-12.

Teethingbiscuit
Mar 2nd, 2011, 07:47 AM
I didn't know it was possible to be in love with a weapon. Wow, scratch my revolver idea, I'll roll out with the AA-12.
Gonna take more than a pocket full of shells to feed that hungry beast. To hell with a tanker full of diesel, get me a truckload of ammo!
Teeth

manintrees
Mar 2nd, 2011, 08:23 AM
I'd definitely have the AA-12 on semi-auto. I watched a show that featured this weapon and you can get a crazy variety of shells. Without a doubt, the explosive round shell would be the zombie killer's round of choice.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-esAq-pbd4

Teethingbiscuit
Mar 2nd, 2011, 09:07 AM
link broke trees.

nikvoodoo
Mar 2nd, 2011, 09:50 AM
Going with the idea that a good offense is a good defense: Gimmie some chain mail! Can't be turned if they can't bite through! If it's good enough for divers with sharks, I can't imagine a zombie can bite through it.

But to go to where the topic intends:
Gun: I'd like to have a machine gun of some kind: M-16, Tommy Gun....something like that.

Best close quarters weapon for me would be samurai sword. I'll take as much distance as I can.

DIY: Baseball bat.

Worst weapon? Easy: Blow Gun. I feel like blowing a dart at a horde of zombies chasing you is probably the most ineffectual use of your breath at that time. You're better off screaming.

Ra1th
Mar 2nd, 2011, 09:09 PM
I'd prly go with the AK as well, it's prly one of the most durable rifles out there. The M16 is slightly more accurate, a bit fancier, but it cant compare to the kalishnakov when it comes to reliability

Downside to the chainmail, is it would way you down, a lot!, running with armor on, is it worth it? not to mention sweating like a pig. i heard someone say wetsuit earlier, and thats the worst idea ever, cause if you try running around in a wetsuit, you're gonna die from a stroke because ur body overheated, not to mentioni it'll turn into a sweat bag

silenced pistol would be nice... if you could find one. Silencers are illegal in the US. And hell if it's illegal HERE, then i doubt anyone else would allow it. There are ways you can make a homemade silencer involving a waterbottle. i dont really know how, but i'm sure it's possible

what's DIY stand for?
for a melee weapon, i'll go with a baseball bat as well, just cause my goal would be to get the zombie off of me, and put some distance between me and it ASAP cause i do not want to be anywhere near a zombie with melee combat. that's suicide, especially in the we're alive universe.

i like the idea of a crossbow too, that sounds nice, like the racist guy's brother in walking dead.

having a crossbow and a rifle would be perfect in w/a cause you can assassinate them wiht the cross bow and when things get heated whip out ur AK, and end it or maybe an smg, just cause carrying around two heavy weapons like that would be a pain (been playing too much cod/halo where everyone can carry two SAWs, and still jump 5 feet and sprint for minutes at a time)

nikvoodoo
Mar 2nd, 2011, 09:49 PM
Diy= do it yourself.

Chain mail would weigh you down, but it sounds like you were thinking I was talking about a full suit of armor. if I'm wrong, I apologize. Besides, what's a bit of discomfort if it saves your life?

I like the bat because the splatter vs a cutting or stabbing implement

Ra1th
Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:04 PM
I meant chainmail but it still puts like 10-20 pounds on you on top of ur weapons. There is the benefit of bite protection. Wizh there was something lightwr tho.

nikvoodoo
Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:21 PM
I meant chainmail but it still puts like 10-20 pounds on you on top of ur weapons. There is the benefit of bite protection. Wizh there was something lightwr tho.
Just makin' sure. Chain mail would be best, because the armor before that would have been lightly metal plated metal Placed on leather... I know that's probably not true, but its the closest thing I could think of in terms of military defensive development. I know romans had big metal chest plates, but those were traded for lighter less defensive armor....ok, I'm done trying to remember world history classes that I took over a decade ago...

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 3rd, 2011, 06:17 AM
check out my tactical list here: http://www.amazon.com/lm/RSDETWZR6U82R/ref=cm_pdp_lm_all_itms

You guys have a ton of good ideas, some bad, but all are YOUR suggestions so I'll respect them.
in my Zombieverse, I'm not going to carry any weapon that I'll have a hard time finding ammo for. 9mm is the most common and has enough variations and grains to do what you need them to do.
In the case of the Behemoths.. yes, a 7.62 or .50 cal would drop it. They're made to pass through stuff and get to the bad guys.
My ideal weapons set up would go like this:
1. Hide out. .308 Rifle for M16 for picking them off at a distance. Gives survivors a chance to get to you or gives your scavenger team less to worry about as they head out.
2. Scavenger. Shotgun with 15 inch barrel. Two bandalier. One of slugs and the other with buckshot. That way you can customize per situation. .40 Glock for any human pests (Maller type) that wanna get squirrly. My trusty crowbar or a Machette.

Here's the real skinny on weapons though. Any hunter, cop or military who's fired a gun will tell you that target shooting is WAY different that shooting a moving target. Theoretically, the only way to stop a zombie with with a head shot. The human head is only about 10 inches high. Add movement (yours or its), fatigue, fear and lack of training to that and you have a nigh impossible target to hit.
A shotgun with buckshot gives you a better chance to hit the head by just pointing in that direction. The next best thing is a blunt metalic object like.. ahem.. a crow bar or this beast here:
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-FatMax-Xtreme-55-120-FuBar/dp/B000VSSG3O/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_c

The thing about a long blunt object is that even zombies have to respect physics. Mass + Speed= Kenetic energy.
Lets just say all you had in your hands was a "Me". hehe. sorry.. a crowbar.. if you hit a zombie in the chest, it's going to fall. That's all you need it to do for you to get away. Bones will break if you hit them in their outstreatch arms. They can't grab you if their arms are busted.
A hammer is going to be too short, but again, if that's all you have, then it's all you have. it'll take multiple hits to damage the skull
An axe isn't a good idea because they tend to get stuck. The best thing to use is anything that equals the length of your forarm. It lengthens your reach.. or better yet, increases the distance it takes to get to your bits and pieces.
Ok.. I got long winded and I have 4 training modules to frigg'n do.. adios!

Destiny
Mar 3rd, 2011, 06:24 AM
Best Weapon:
http://www.mycity-military.com/imgs/113167_65512776_Triple%20MiniGun%20obavezno%20post aviti.jpg

Worst Weapon:
Chainsaw

nikvoodoo
Mar 3rd, 2011, 06:34 AM
Best Weapon:
http://www.mycity-military.com/imgs/113167_65512776_Triple%20MiniGun%20obavezno%20post aviti.jpg

*blink.....blink...*um...yeah that could be fun....like...a whole lot of fun....slightly over kill, but a metric sh** ton of fun...

If it weren't impossible to find ammunition for it once I demolished everything in a four block radius, I would have that mounted on my roof for any incoming waves of baddies.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 3rd, 2011, 07:43 AM
Nik,
I think that shoots 7.62 rounds.
Great Behemoth shredder. Set that puppy on the roof of the tower (entrance side).

wooly
Mar 3rd, 2011, 02:28 PM
silenced pistol would be nice... if you could find one. Silencers are illegal in the US. And hell if it's illegal HERE, then i doubt anyone else would allow it.

Actually they are perfectly legal, just controlled. Paperwork + $200 tax stamp to BATFE and you can pick one up at you local gun shop if you are otherwise legally eligible to own a firearm.

In a number of other countries they can be bought over-the-counter from a hardware store by anyone, as they could in the US up to 1968.

Good technology demonized by Hollywood.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 4th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Check these out.
Anti-Zombie bite protection..
http://www.amazon.com/Mechanix-Wear-MHS-05-500-Heat-Sleeve/dp/B000R7LZH8/ref=pd_sim_hi_1

manintrees
Mar 4th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Best Weapon:

That...is...awsome.

Gunner: "Oh yeah!! Take that you creepy son's o bitches!! Ha Ha, eat lead you bastards!!!"

Assistant: "Holy crap!! Did you see those things get ripped apart!?! Woooo hoooo!!"

Gunner: "What?"

Assistant: "Huh?"

fallenXstarX
Mar 4th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I didn't dig too deep so if this has been done to death I'll delete the post.
What do you think would be the best weapons in the following classes. Here's my wish list:

Gun: AK-47 - An M-16 is a very close runner up due to is greater accuracy but the incredible reliability and power of the 7.26mm round make the AK-47 my choice. I flip flopped on this decision several times.

DIY Melee: Large Hammer - I would never want to get close enough to use a melee weapon but a Large Hammer would be the best choice, IMO. The only way to put a zombie down is to hurt the brain and issuing enough blunt trauma would be difficult at best. A crowbar is a classic DIY weapon but they have a few limitations. 1. They are hard to hold onto when you swing hard. 2. If you use the nail-pulling end, the sharp part isn't angled well for inflicting damage and if you are able to get it to stick in a Z's head, it may be difficult to get out.

I think the worst weapon choice ever would be a chainsaw. They are heavy, loud, can be hard to start, and the greatest problem is that due to the rotation of the chain, they would spray the user with a ton of zombie blood.

I think a large hammer would be one of the worst weapons, due to it's speed and weight. Imagine running around all day carrying the AK47, spare ammo and a large hammer.
I think that if possible a real, properly balanced katana would work much better, because it will slice and not smash so you don't have to worry about it getting stuck. The katana would not weigh nearly as much as the hammer and if it is a properly made katana it will not break soon.

Ra1th
Mar 4th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I like the baseball bat like i dont want to kill wih melee weaPons d rather jst beat him off me and then take em down with a rifle.

Zombiehead
Mar 4th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Best Weapon:

Ooo.... can I play with that?

cycogod
Mar 5th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Teeth

thanks for the info about this gun. if this gun doesn't stop it , you're in trouble.

Hollomandious
Mar 6th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I just need my "Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses." They are specially designed to help people develop a relaxed attitude to danger. At the first hint of trouble, they turn totally black and thus prevent you from seeing anything that might alarm you.

Pair of those, and I wait.

JTCgolf
Mar 9th, 2011, 12:15 AM
The best gun would be one you know how to use and take care of. No use in having an AK, AA-12, or mini gun if you don't know how to use it or take care of it. The last thing you want is something that jams or something that has too much recoil for you so you end up spraying everything but the zombie.

manintrees
Mar 9th, 2011, 12:50 AM
The best gun would be one you know how to use and take care of. No use in having an AK, AA-12, or mini gun if you don't know how to use it or take care of it. The last thing you want is something that jams or something that has too much recoil for you so you end up spraying everything but the zombie.

As I was listening to this series I thought about what my list of things to scavenge would be. One of the things that would be high on my list would be some G-96 Gun Treatment. A jammed gun would equal death. I was really surprized to hear that Angel's gun was in poor condition.
As for spraying everything, I got a chance to shoot an UZI a couple years ago. I pretty much shot everything except the target. This is why M-16s only fire a three round burst. Long bursts only waste ammo if you are trying to target something specific (like a zombies brain). Automatic fire is used primarily for supression. This obviously would have little effect on a hoard of zombies.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 9th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Man in trees,

WD40 and some male type genital area protectors will keep your carbine or hand gun pretty dust free.
Hey, I'm plugging this like they're paying me, but I think you guys should all head over to Amazon's listmania and build your own Zombie survival list. It can be gear, equipment or weapons. Share your profile name and let's dismantle and demean each other's ideas. LOL! I'm Maddlion on there and my profile pic is of the Black Panther.

HomeGrown
Mar 9th, 2011, 03:55 PM
There's only one weapon on my wish list: A lawnmower (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkUdGkIwMFQ) (not for the squeamish)

Eviebae
Mar 20th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I vote TNT, Trebuchet filled with a variety of fill--concrete, shrapnel, acid, explosives and the like. A big hidden pit. Electricity. cliff. Wire a parking garage with explosives in the supports, lure them in and drop it on them.

Hoss
Mar 20th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Here's everything you need. Belt fed .22 caliber machine gun based on the Browning 30 caliber. High rate of fire, light weight ammo, instant zombie mist.. Available at Locked and Loaded and on sale through the rest of the month... I wish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTGAP7tG0Y&feature=related

Eviebae
Mar 21st, 2011, 07:55 PM
Flame gun!...just sayin'

Teethingbiscuit
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:18 PM
Flame gun!...just sayin'
As a worst weapon?
HSS (hypersonic sound) would likely take the cake for that award.
Teeth

Eviebae
Mar 23rd, 2011, 12:08 PM
As a worst weapon?
HSS (hypersonic sound) would likely take the cake for that award.
Teeth

Okay, I'm not a weapons person. I didn't know flame guns were bad. I just think they should try to take out the zombies in mass numbers as well as singly. Other than that, it would have to be something I could reasonably work with, I guess a gun?

There are defensive weapons and offensive weapons and defensive protections. Somebody suggested a shark bite suit and that sounded interesting.

j0be
Mar 23rd, 2011, 12:10 PM
Okay, I'm not a weapons person. I didn't know flame guns were bad. I just think they should try to take out the zombies in mass numbers as well as singly.

Except if you're indoors in your stronghold

Teethingbiscuit
Mar 23rd, 2011, 12:33 PM
Okay, I'm not a weapons person. I didn't know flame guns were bad.

Evi, Just trying to get you to justify a flame weapon. I know it has a devastating effect... on humans and your own building and the vehicles in the street. My argument is, at best tissue burns aren't going to stop the flesh biters and proximity dictates he who throws flame either dies by the flame or will fall to the enemy.
Teethingbiscuit

Eviebae
Mar 23rd, 2011, 04:22 PM
Evi, Just trying to get you to justify a flame weapon. I know it has a devastating effect... on humans and your own building and the vehicles in the street. My argument is, at best tissue burns aren't going to stop the flesh biters and proximity dictates he who throws flame either dies by the flame or will fall to the enemy.
Teethingbiscuit

Other than the satisfaction value, I just think flame will probably kill them once enough tissue damage has been done, especially if their brains boil (good grief that sounds blood thirsty on my part). I see now some problems, like flaming zombies starting fires as they go.

cycogod
Mar 31st, 2011, 04:23 PM
http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/crossbow-machete-slingshot-the-coolest-zombie-killing-weapon-ever

looks uhh-..handy?

timberwoof
Mar 31st, 2011, 06:36 PM
Best weapon I think would be a shotgun with buck shot more chance of a head shot. Not very good for long distance and the ammo is heavy and bulky. A carbine weapon would be second hopefully something bullpup and .223 caliber because the rounds are more readily available. Next would be a semi auto pistol 9mm would be good for ammo but the chance of penetration into the skull is low with a pistol. Check the stats. Good long knife for close hand to hand type situations. Ka-Bar or equivalent. Mostly as last resort. Hatchet or tomahawk is a good mallet weapon as well.

There are several weapons which will work. In a perfect world you can prepare. He'll look around your house right now and find what's good as a weapon. Broom stick if sharpened and used properly will work as a stabbing weapon. Knives in your drawers. You may not have quick access to a firearm so in an improvised situation you have to use what your given. Golf clubs, bats, tire iron, etc. The list can go on and on. Fight your ass off and search for some kind of firearm. Hell a 22 or 380 will get the job done if you hit the right spot. Survival situations mean you have to do just that survive. When you are in a fight for your life, stay away from the Lethal parts and go for the vulnerable.

I was once told by my dad. Your best weapon in your arsenal is your brain. Your next best are your feet, when it comes to a fight you know you are unable to win or can get out of. Dont start a fight if it can be avoided all together. Its best to walk or run away and use the grey matter between your ears to figure out a winning solution.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Apr 1st, 2011, 07:59 AM
Other than the satisfaction value, I just think flame will probably kill them once enough tissue damage has been done, especially if their brains boil (good grief that sounds blood thirsty on my part). I see now some problems, like flaming zombies starting fires as they go.

Several of us have been trying to figure out if Tommy actually died from the fall or the flames. Anyway, a flame thrower in THIS infected world would probably work because the creatures aren't the Undead. If they can be knocked out or show fear then it goes to reason that Greek Fire would also do some real damage.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Apr 1st, 2011, 08:03 AM
Best weapon I think would be a shotgun with buck shot more chance of a head shot. Not very good for long distance and the ammo is heavy and bulky. A carbine weapon would be second hopefully something bullpup and .223 caliber because the rounds are more readily available. Next would be a semi auto pistol 9mm would be good for ammo but the chance of penetration into the skull is low with a pistol. Check the stats. Good long knife for close hand to hand type situations. Ka-Bar or equivalent. Mostly as last resort. Hatchet or tomahawk is a good mallet weapon as well.

There are several weapons which will work. In a perfect world you can prepare. He'll look around your house right now and find what's good as a weapon. Broom stick if sharpened and used properly will work as a stabbing weapon. Knives in your drawers. You may not have quick access to a firearm so in an improvised situation you have to use what your given. Golf clubs, bats, tire iron, etc. The list can go on and on. Fight your ass off and search for some kind of firearm. Hell a 22 or 380 will get the job done if you hit the right spot. Survival situations mean you have to do just that survive. When you are in a fight for your life, stay away from the Lethal parts and go for the vulnerable.

I was once told by my dad. Your best weapon in your arsenal is your brain. Your next best are your feet, when it comes to a fight you know you are unable to win or can get out of. Dont start a fight if it can be avoided all together. Its best to walk or run away and use the grey matter between your ears to figure out a winning solution.

Wolf,

That's some good advice your dad gave you! I tell my daughters all the time.. panic will hurt or kill you before anything else will, so calm down. Run when you see other people running and ask "why are we running?" when they stop. LOL.

Pretty good breakdown of weapons as well.
check this out:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AZ9CN7PJCEC5E?ie=UTF8&ref_=ya_56

mem
Apr 1st, 2011, 08:17 AM
Being the superior in close quarters combat is what keeps you alive. Distance weapons are needed as well but toe to toe is when you need the real advantage.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Apr 5th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I guess this is what Burt's bedroom looks like.

http://www.tasteofawesome.com/images/content/37382.jpg

'nuff said, Really.

Dyehardjr
Apr 5th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I guess this is what Burt's bedroom looks like.

http://www.tasteofawesome.com/images/content/37382.jpg

'nuff said, Really.

Haha, wow I really could use one of these. This would be the greatest grad present eva'!

Onslaught
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Ha! Love the spam can in the corner.

Luna Guardian
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:22 AM
If only Finnish gun laws were looser...

Then again, maybe it's a good thing they aren't...

Luna Guardian
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:48 PM
That's some pretty extensive thinking there bvg!

Personally, if I could freely choose a firearm, I'd pick a 7.62 carbine or assault rifle. Sure, they're loud, but most of those are AK copies (I know the Finnish military issue is an improved AK, basically) so they're easy to maintain and I know I can handle one. Also, the ammunition is reasonably easy to come by and it has enough stopping power to knock Zack on his rear end. Also good for hunting game. Problem is, I can't get one, due to Finnish gun laws. I could probably get a reservist rifle, but that's be stuck on semi-auto. Still not a bad choice, though.

A shotgun I'd never choose, due to the low amount of ammunition you can carry, the slow firing speed, the loud sound and short range. Also, it's difficult to penetrate a human skull with a shotgun from any greater distance.

An AA-12 on the other hand...

TKid
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:53 PM
not sure if this has come up yet or not but here goes:

I live in england specifically the south west, which mainly consists of beaches and moorland. in England there is a law against firearms and so it is almost impossible to get a firearm here. If THIS kind of outbreak occurred i believe we would be slaughtered unless we turned to melee weapons ( clubs, swords, axes, machetes, knives). My question to the forum is this; What would be your weapon of choice be in these conditions? for me it would be an axe (or sword when i turn 18 and can legally buy one) with plenty of knives for up-close and personal assaults or for when the axe fails or even for throwing, to try and get some range.

TKid
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:55 PM
i am a trained archer as well but don't have my own bow and have yet to try a compound box, which i believe is the kind Riley used.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Well, the situation in Alphen aan den Rijn (The Netherlands) this weekend has already proven that the laws don't make that much difference.
Some guy walked trough a shopping mall with a fully automatic rifle, shooting several civilians - some died, some got critically wounded - before committing suicide.

There's no way to get a permit for automatic weapons here, and the permits for other firearms are very strict (i.e. only valid on a certified shooting range, and so forth).

Leedo2502
May 13th, 2011, 08:34 AM
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_JyNo5rSBODE/S9SeUCgme0I/AAAAAAAAAG8/2liNTlyRBv0/s1024/0126082049.jpg

My M-4 with M203 that I carried in Iraq in the picture above (I had that zeroed to the point that I could shoot the pecker off a gnat and had to take off the 203 and give it to another unit). For the 203 I'd have the normal H/E rounds and buckshot rounds as well as some parachute flares.
On my thigh holster I'd have the Barretta M-9
Slung on my back I'd go with a Mossberg 590
On my belt a Kukri knife (really a small Machete).
At home I'd have the M-14 with an ACOG sight.

The worst realistic weapon I'd say would be a sword... I know I'm going to draw the ire of manya WWZ fanboy here but a sword takes years of training to master and just whips blood everywhere.

nikvoodoo
May 13th, 2011, 11:47 AM
The worst realistic weapon I'd say would be a sword... I know I'm going to draw the ire of manya WWZ fanboy here but a sword takes years of training to master and just whips blood everywhere.

No complaints from me. Swords, while awesome, would result in so much blood splattering. That's why I'm a fan of blunt instruments. Less blood, just as effective. Besides, if you were to stab something with your sword it becomes very difficult to get it back. The muscles around the stab site clench around the weapon and if you are in the midst of a horde of flesh biters it's better to be swinging a bat in mu opinion.

Creem_Filling
May 14th, 2011, 07:20 AM
I'm going to be more a melee guy, because I cannot exaggerate how little I know of guns. But I think a shot gun would be best, easy to aim, easy to fire. As for the melee, I have a machete I completely customized and named Charolette, she would be the best. And the worst melee weapoon would have to be a katana. Requires too much training and everyone seems to think they can pick one up and use it.

Ctatyk Frost
May 24th, 2011, 11:27 PM
I'm noticing that no one is mentioning the one weapon that we should all be using...our brains/judgement.
There are times when it is more prudent to stay quiet & let them pass you by.
Calico M100P/M110 .22cal pistol that holds 100 rounds per clip weighs 3.75lbs fully loaded and the clips can be kept loaded with the spring tension released. I've had exactly 2 rounds jam in the one that I own and it's had approx 5,000 rounds run through it. I blame those jams on inferior ammo from times when I wasn't exactly well off. I'd go with a screw on silencer for those times when I have to be quiet...though I'd probably have to modify something.
Long range, though I like the AK-47, ammo for it isn't as readily available as the M16. You can pick up 5.56 at any military base.
Actually, squash that. I'm thinking that a .308 or .30-06 is more the round that I want, but would deal with whatever is handy for starters.
Melee weapon, I don't know, I'm a fan of swords in general so I'd have a short sword, but I'd also go with either a battle axe or war hammer. I'm leaning towards a war hammer.
As for street/room sweeping, I love the AA-12, but doubt that I could lay my hands on one. So, pretty much any 12ga. shotgun would be fine after I cut down the barrel as short as possible.
Of course, the biggest problem is moving around enough ammo to make any of these guns besides the .22 useful.

In regards to the wet suit idea, they're not designed to be waterproof. I think that I'll stick with comfort and ease of movement.

Osiris
Jun 2nd, 2011, 01:10 PM
This is what you find when you go back a few pages... I like the spam.... but the grenades?

mascaria
Jun 2nd, 2011, 01:18 PM
Swiss army spoon!

What is the thing above the flashlight?

Magrat
Jun 5th, 2011, 04:19 AM
And then you put it in a house like this!

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/post/4956385434/the-first-zombie-proof-house

Grognaurd
Jun 5th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Maybe a compass with a magnifying glass to read small maps and a can opener?

shric debar
Jun 5th, 2011, 06:53 AM
And then you put it in a house like this!

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/post/4956385434/the-first-zombie-proof-house

oh look i've found my new home.

Grognaurd
Jun 5th, 2011, 07:07 AM
It is very nice, but has many flaws. I will not nitpik but primarily the defensive system is active not passive. Action must be taken for any real protection. It would be much easier to abandon the first floor entirely. Allow access via ladder. If ladder is too much of a pain in the ass transit to attic stairs that fold up when not in use.

Bravo Team Leader
Jun 11th, 2011, 05:50 PM
OK what is the favorite weapon? Anybody what would your doomsday weapon be?

smalls kenobi
Jun 11th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I know it won't last long but for me its a machete and a tomahawk. I'd do some damage :)

Bravo Team Leader
Jun 11th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I'm partial to shotguns they are a multipurpose weapon. Meaning you can shot different rounds through it which makes it a very useful thing.

Leedo2502
Jun 11th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Are we talking one single weapon? If that's the case a Mosberg 590.

If we are talking what is our arsenal here we go

On my person at all times my Sig P229 .40cal
With me when I'm moving about and whatnot M-4 (w/ Surefire and PAQ4 mounted on the rails) with at least 4-5 extra 30 round magazines and the Mosberg 590
At home an M-14 EBR with an ACOG sight
Other "tools of the trade" Cold Steel Kukri Machete, a Gerber Multi-tool, My Gerber Switchblade, and just to make my brother happy a flare gun

Bravo Team Leader
Jun 12th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Yea I like the 870 my self. The Cold Steel Kukri I have one It's a good piece of kit. M-4 M-16, what ever is laying around.I'm sure there will be plenty laying around.
Pistols? Glock21 my Savage 110 tactical 308. (Keep em at a distance). Wal mart sells flare guns now who would have ever thought.. couple of my pieces ak-47 Winchester 1300 shotgun with a extended tube magazine my bench gun(Savage). And of course the glock..

OsO
Jun 12th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Arsenal AK47 with Trijicon Tri power mounted on a ultimak gas tube rail as a primary good heavy hitting round. For a secondary either a SIG P220, Glock 19 or SIG P226. For when all else fails a khukri or a Tomahawk

Hellbringer
Jun 12th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I'll take whatever is lying on the floor and not jammed with zombie blood/body parts.

But if there's a choice in the matter, I'd carry an M60. Heck, ultimately, I'd bottle myself up in a Bradley and just move a bit then climb into the turret and shoot some 25mm around and go back to driving.

Pikepaw
Jun 12th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I like what I have and therefore know. I have a Parker-Hale 30-06 rifle for long range attack. My SKS and a Savage .22 for mid range (Head-shots with a .22 are nothing to laugh about). I guess I could grab my long shotgun. I also have my CZ-85 9mm as a back up.

As for melee, I have the cold steel kukri, but I prefer my Guyana Cutlass Machete. Good length but not so long as to be cumbersome indoors. Plus I have a variety of knives to cause mayhem in my final stand or to stealthily pull a Saul and stab one in the eye

ClearSights
Jun 15th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Yeah, With the Hague Convention, it pretty much made using hollow points a war crime to because of the fact that they expand or fragment within the human body.

Leedo2502
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:58 PM
BTW speaking of ballistics, a question for AK guys out there:

7.62 or 5.45?

(sorry, AR's will be a baaaad idea if SHTF where i live)

Since the 5.45 round is rare I'd go with the 7.62. And that said any problem you see with the 5.56 round or the M-16 family of weapons would be the same with that smaller 5.45 round.

I've never had a problem with the M-16 and later the M-4. I've carried them around the world in the Army and never had an issue or jam.
The best argument I've heard in the AK/M-16 debate:
The AK 47 is for a warrior, someone that will fight but has little training. The M-16 is for the disciplined soldier that controls his rate of fire and maintains his equipment.

shric debar
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:27 PM
See i'm more of a medieval sort of person so I would definateley have to go with a long sword. Or the swords that rayne has in blood rayne.

And Of course a bow and a ton of arrows. And preferably half or more of those arrows with explosive tips

gaijinpunk
Aug 31st, 2011, 08:02 PM
Primary: suppressed MP5 (for quick, quiet, accurate head-shots) 1095

Backup: silenced Beretta M9 (for stealth and stopping power) 1096

Melee: Crowbar (for when you just feel the need to reach out and crush someone) 1097

usmcludwig
Sep 1st, 2011, 10:21 PM
Imma keep it simple:

1- Trusty ol'Glock 22 (.40)- that fucker just refuses to jam and maintenance is not a constant need
2- KBAR combat knife (with sheath)
3- Ak-47 (Yugo) with a holographic sight (day/night adjustable) with a foldable stock, TAC-Light and forward hand grip
and 4- Mossberg 500 Tactical (retractable stock with shell holder on side)- its fairly light weight and I love it (I put a forward hand grip on mine- tho the former was just as good)

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Sep 6th, 2011, 11:10 AM
11221121I'm gonna advertise this once more since we have a ton of new troops. Go to Amazon's site and search for "listmania" then do your own Zombie Survival List from stuff you can buy from Amazon. You can also write a short intro and do item descriptions.

http://www.amazon.com/lm/RSDETWZR6U82R/ref=cm_pdp_lm_all_itms

Now, this Parang is pretty cool, but I'd probably stick with my 18 inch Machete since it has better stand off distance. Add that foot and a half to whatever your reach is and you have a pretty wide berth.

The Saiga auto loading shotty is a must because you can add drums and magazines.

Now, my namesake says what my next choice would be but the FuBar III is a damn good option. It looks like a better choice when you find yourself stuck in a room and you need a quick exit. Drywall wouldn't stand a chance

gaijinpunk
Sep 7th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I WANT ONE.:yay:

Cabbage Patch
Sep 7th, 2011, 11:17 PM
What is the thing above the flashlight?

It's an Explorer Whistle, Compass, Magnifying Glass! There's even a thermometer on the other side of it. They used to carry these things by the checkout registers at Eddie Bauer stores.

gaijinpunk
Sep 9th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I remember those...:cool:

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Sep 15th, 2011, 11:50 AM
In my truck yes, but there is no way I'll carry that in my standard load, (not even the 18" FatMax, I've handled them on the h/w store and they're too heavy), a standard hexagonal or a flat prybar in 15" - 18" strapped to my pack would do.

9 Pounds isn't much to me, but I can see what you're talking about. I think I'd carry it during foraging runs when you're in such places like apartment buildings.

reaper239
Sep 15th, 2011, 02:17 PM
i have an M1 carbine (love it) a mossberg maverick 88 (also love it) and a .45 1911 (my baby) that's all i need

smalls kenobi
Sep 27th, 2011, 06:17 PM
ah!! the Machete :D

usmcludwig
Sep 28th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I wish I could afford a Beneli :(

POOOOOW!

Devilish Pizza
Oct 18th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I just ask this, because I have no idea about guns (other than from video games), and I'd like to know how accurately they guns are portrayed......
In the show, do they sound the way they do in real life?
Do they really jam as often as real life? (because it seems ridiculously frequent)
Is it actually as easy to aim as the show makes out? (The survivors seem to be able to blow a hole through a zombie's head really easily)
And finally, is Burt's accuracy actually realistic for an expert marksman? (I mean seriously, he shot a shotgun out of Bill's hands, with a DE)

I understand that most of these are used to build tension, or progress the plot. I would just like t know how I would fare against a zombie horde if I managed to get hold of a gun.

reaper239
Oct 18th, 2011, 01:40 PM
it looks like... jam. rspberry, only one man would dare to give me the raspberry... LONESTAR!!! (BANG)

so in regards to jams, the only jams i remember hearing were on angels gun. here's the thing, the AR15 platform (M16, M4, Mk18, etc) has a horrendous reputation for jamming. this rep was forged in the vietnam war where the jungles dirtied the guns faster than anything else in the world. a dirty M16 will jam all the time, so cleanliness is imperative. they have gotten a lot better in recent years (the last 10 or so) and different recoil designs have different failure rates, but overall, angels M16 (most likely an A3 or A4) is portrayed fairly accurately. the later jams after it's thorough cleaning are indicative of some kind of catostrophic failure more related to a hardware fault than to poor cleaning.

regarding the sound, yes they do sound very similar in real life. in real life the 5.56 (M16 round) is a supersonic round, so if you are standing in front of it when fired you'll catch the sonic boom. it makes you feel funky. but that is really hard (if not impossible) to capture in audio.

soldiers are highly trained for rapid target acquisition and, depending on their job, they drill it alot (exceptions are jobs where they don't get exposed to combat a lot. in the army there are many such jobs, but i am not entirely sure how the nasty guard is structured (or was it reserves?) and i don't know how they run logistics) so the soldiers would be more than capable of acquireing targets rapidly under pressure. they drill that. burt was a marine so he would have had very similar training. on top of that, burt was a competition shooter, but i'll cover that later.

later: so burt was a competition shooter. if i understand his record right, burt was a champion pistol shooter, who could also do trick shooting. for him shooting targets rapidly and with great accuracy is second nature. regarding the shooting of the shotgun; something to remember is that the Desert Eagle fires a .50 calibur round. that's half an inch.that is a bullet that caries a lot of weight and a lot of force, so if it hit the shotgun, there'd be no way to keep hold of it. and people have pulled off harder shots.

there you go, i hope this helps. the show portrays things pretty realisticly (minus the zombies) it may take a bit of liberty in some area but it is the attention to detail and accuracy that keeps me listening (aside from, you know, the really good story)

nikvoodoo
Oct 18th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Jams might have happened in one other gun: Lizzy's when she gets kidnapped....but that could also be Angel's but we were never told whose gun it was.

Eitri
Oct 18th, 2011, 02:50 PM
The survivors had rildes to spare so its possible Lizzy got her hands on one.

And now for a gun Lesson!
there are a couple types of jams, but i will cover two of the major and well known ones.
One where the empty shell fails to eject from the chamber (common and easily fixed)
The second is where two bullets try to enter the chamber at once, creating a "double feed" these are hard to fix but not impossible.

Teethingbiscuit
Oct 24th, 2011, 05:56 PM
My two bits here Devilish Pizza.
There is no substitute to actually shooting. Shooting ranges will rent out guns and should be able to give you safety guidelines(even better would be to take a defensive shooting class). Safety is key when handling firearms. The jams I have not been part of my experiences, so I can't speak to that. I can however speak to the enjoyment that can come from shooting safely.
As to your ability to survive a Zombie vs gun fight will come to quite the variables even if you are fully trained. Avoidance and diligence is always the better option(in my opinion).
Teethingbiscuit

Pikepaw
Oct 24th, 2011, 07:34 PM
People have covered most of your points, but I will say something about the survivors' accuracy. Lizzie is a naturally good shot, some people just are. They pick up a rifle, get the training and are bullseyeing targets. I have heard of more women where this happens. As for the rest, they aren't always shooting the head. KC said during the live Season 2 finale that the zombies will die from torso damage as well. Like when Burt shot the Jumper in the chest. The survivors aren't always getting headshots, they are getting body hits too, larger target to hit.

Also for Burt's amazing accuracy, there are some people who can do such feats. Annie Oakley is one the most famous trick shot artists, Carlos Hathlock was an amazing sniper in Vietnam, Rob Furlong (shout out to fellow Canadian) can shoot amazing long distance with both left and right hands. Also go on Youtube and watch FPSRussia, your eyes will thank you. That guy once shot a balloon behind him with a pistol while only lining the shot up with a hand mirror.

reaper239
Oct 25th, 2011, 07:02 AM
pikepaw makes some very good points, center mass is always easier to hit, and tree to the chest should drop some mofo running around with a knife, but he always does some super leap that cover ten feet in less time than it takes an M4 to put out three rounds and kills me, despite the fact that i unloaded half a clip into his chest... whoa, sorry, videogame flashbacks.

in seriousness, he is right. my buddy barely has to aim and he can effectively put rounds on target. he is also one of the best point shooters i know, meanwhile, if i don't take the time to perfectly line up the shot and control my trigger squeeze, i'm just as likely to hit something behind me as i am to hit my tagret. i'm a really good shot, but he's a natural. regarding FPSRussia, there is not much better entertainment on youtube (annie's original shot was harder ;) )

Grognaurd
Nov 18th, 2011, 08:58 AM
A lot of good points. Most of what I have heard has been good. The history channel did a nice show called extreme marksman. Some nice shooting.

But, when they were at the fuel depot my stomach turned. Burt is good, but him just thinking about drawing a pistol, spin ~120 to 180 degrees, acquire the head of an elevated target for a snap shot over iron sights at 100 meters in the twilight? WTF?

Take a few of the difficulties and then I will say OK. Put them all together and even Carlos Hathlock would whistle and say that would be one hell of a shot just considering it. Or heaven, I think divine intervention is your best bet.

mem
Nov 18th, 2011, 09:51 AM
A lot of good points. Most of what I have heard has been good. The history channel did a nice show called extreme marksman. Some nice shooting.

But, when they were at the fuel depot my stomach turned. Burt is good, but him just thinking about drawing a pistol, spin ~120 to 180 degrees, acquire the head of an elevated target for a snap shot over iron sights at 100 meters in the twilight? WTF?

Take a few of the difficulties and then I will say OK. Put them all together and even Carlos Hathlock would whistle and say that would be one hell of a shot just considering it. Or heaven, I think divine intervention is your best bet.

but don't we attribute some superhero qualities to those that we have grown to admire in this drama? there has been more than one super human feat performed in this podcast over the last few seasons.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Nov 18th, 2011, 10:19 AM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- <br />
Reaper was correct with his reply about the M16's jamming (malfunction). I can say that I...

res1cue
Dec 17th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Howdy all, new here, and I didn't see another thread like this, so I thought I'd kick one off

Here's just some things I would bring to the table:

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/5039/img4399c.jpg

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/7209/img4608e.jpg

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/6093/photofjj.jpg

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/4214/photo2ici.jpg

What do yall have or want to have by the time it happens?

GeneTwo
Dec 18th, 2011, 12:19 AM
whatever i find at costco.

jwaj2002
Dec 18th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I'll use one of these, and I know where to find one http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/Abrams_Pics/M1A1-Abrams-USMC-01.jpg

daredevil
Dec 18th, 2011, 04:01 AM
1452 I'm sure I've got a nuke or two lying around.

res1cue
Dec 18th, 2011, 07:03 AM
whatever i find at costco.

Id say walmart is better, at least they have guns

Wicked Sid
Dec 18th, 2011, 09:13 AM
http://www.stanleyworks.ae/CatalogImages/1442_prev.jpg

In any apocalypse, this should be your best friend.

Luna Guardian
Dec 19th, 2011, 01:02 AM
I'd bring a smile that been voted "Most likely to light up any room or situation"

daredevil
Dec 19th, 2011, 01:56 AM
I'd bring a smile that been voted "Most likely to light up any room or situation"
Don't go starting fires with that smile of yours...

HorrorHiro
Dec 19th, 2011, 01:42 PM
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/53277000/jpg/_53277794_jex_1068228_de27-1.jpg

A narco tank or 3, MG's w/ gunners of course mounted on them, and some anti-personnel explosives but not to kill the Tower residents just to push them towards the windows and walls for the MG'ers to mow them down and....oh wait you mean bring to the Tower as in living with the Tower residents don't you?

If you haven't been able to tell yet I'm doing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB6bk5S2_Zc

panzerfaust
Jan 1st, 2012, 07:55 PM
Another thing to add when a zombie is between 4 feet to right on top of u i would be splattering brains all day everyday

Grognaurd
Jan 4th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I hope I get this picture drop to work correctly. I pulled together some pictures of the ammo used. The little one is for the rifle that Victor and his partner have when they get the jump on Michael when he was taking a wizz on the way to the colony. The middle one is the standard M16 round. Those are the ones Angel and Michael carry from the base. The B I G one is the .50 cal Saul used in the season 3 opening to knock one of the big ones on his assay as he and Victor escape.

Cabbage Patch
Jan 4th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Nice illustration! It begs for a companion piece showing the comparative sizes of pistol rounds. And in any other zombie genre piece you should do one for shotgun shells too, but not We're Alive, since shotguns are amazingly rare here.

Grognaurd
Jan 5th, 2012, 07:25 AM

Burt has several other handguns besides Shirly. When ANgel and Saul find him in the Bathroom, he has a deathgrip on a pistol. Later, he asks if Saul got the Silver One from the Room Vault. Saul says the Desert Eagle, Hell ya... So that is atleast 2 and possibly more

At the standoff with Latch and Scrath with the tanker, Scratch says and what's to stop me from taking your bright shinny pistol? We hear Burt prepare the gun to fire and he says oh, about five .50 cal hollowpoint rounds

At the end of Season 1
Riley offers Burt some Ammo, he says something like, Ah, 9mm, you aint going to stop much with that. Most of the people are running around with 9mm. The 9mm is a nice comprimise between stopping power, weight and number of bullets carried. Burt is a serious handgun dude so he can handle the weight of the .50 and will not miss as often so does not require the extra rounds. It is a big gun, trust me. So big and heavy that it will not feel comfortable at all in hands of a smaller person, not to mention the damn recoil.

Warning Vulgarity and mild violence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRgYtp3HfvY

The 9mm is a pretty common and for simplicity just think that if it is not Burt, it is a 9mm.

The one exception perplexes me, but I have included it for reference and to draw attention to it. In the survey of the tower, I am pretty sure Riley says she found a colt .45. I have not heard it mentioned since. Any time afterwards Riley talks about her Berreta. Why am I nitpicking? Well the colt .45 is available as a revolver (classic cowboy 6 shooter) But, most working cowboys used a what is called as slang "cowboy loadout" Only five rounds not six

When the shots are fired from the window at the end of season 1 to start the war, I am pretty sure I heard 5 rounds of spray and pray.

If someone is going to fire off rounds just about as quickly as can be done, they typically empty the clip. Why would 3rd floor shooter fire five? YEs, Burt's ammo was stolen. But, their was not much gun play from the time our heroes leave for the water plant and the time stuff is stolen by people in the tower. When everybody gets back they are pretty much all out of ammo unless they are not telling the truth. In addition, I do not think the residents of the tower would be walking around the tower with half a mag or less. I would expect it to be full.

People recently who recently fired and need a reload...
Angel, Burt and Michael are in the CB room (Pretty sure)
Riley's location is undetermined as is Datu's.
Saul is drunk and probably with Lizzy
Kalani's location is not known. But, these events occur after Kalani was on the dance floor with Kelly where she said, Hey, Newbee put your hands here...

So at the end of season 1...
Partially loaded Magazine
Disciplin to "only" fire 5 rounds
Six-shooter with a cowboy load out.
I miss heard and should go directly to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 6th, 2012, 01:19 PM
The revolver Burt had a death grip on, was a .357 magnum. He used it to shoot Bill's shotgun too. Ammo is a really wide area to look at due to the different grains, rating and manufacturers. P+ or +P+, hollow point, full metal jacket, velocity...energy.. the list goes on and on.

Grognaurd
Jan 9th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Yea, crowbar is correct. If you want to learn more, you are on your own. There are people way more knowledgeable tha I am. The real purpose of this thread was to point ouit the huge difference in size between the M-16 round and the .50cal. The the difference between Shirley and 9mm

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 10th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Yea, crowbar is correct. If you want to learn more, you are on your own. There are people way more knowledgeable tha I am. The real purpose of this thread was to point ouit the huge difference in size between the M-16 round and the .50cal. The the difference between Shirley and 9mm

The size difference is SICK! Thing is, I'd save Shirley for the big stuff. The things that have to die and a 5.56 or .9 milly can't take out. You should throw up a pic of what a 7.62 looks like as well.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 10th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Actually there is a thread for weapons already. I have to find it and move it there. Sadly enough, there are hardly an new threads that haven't been thought of already.

mem
Jan 10th, 2012, 01:10 PM
is there a "new threads that haven't been thought of already" thread ?

mem
Jan 10th, 2012, 01:29 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/35hjxwj.jpg

HorrorHiro
Jan 10th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Nuclear missiles duh.

reaper239
Jan 11th, 2012, 05:44 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/35hjxwj.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is one of the greatest pictures i have recently seen.

mem
Jan 13th, 2012, 09:58 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is one of the greatest pictures i have recently seen.

that is smaller version of mem holding my birthday present equipped with it's Christmas gift scope : ) thanks for the accolades !!

Adventureless_Hero
Jan 25th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I was surprised to see there wasn't a thread about guns yet so I thought I'd create one. This should be a thread about all things guns. Feel free to post pictures of yours, discuss others, or ask questions about guns. If I weren't at work and weren't so damn lazy, I would dress this thread up all pretty and name it Locked 'n Loaded.

Adventureless_Hero
Jan 25th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I had a question for anyone with some pistol knowledge. I have been looking for fair priced Schofield Model 3 with a nickel plate finish and came across an Iver Johnson top break .38
I'm not too familiar with these Iver Johnson's and felt skeptical about the asking price of $150 (seems low to me) so I was wondering if anyone had any info on these puppies?
Does it shoot a special kind of .38 round that is hard to find? The seller claims he is going to throw in some rounds with the sale so I'm wondering about the ammo.

[EDIT]
Here is a link to the listing:
texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=14&b=176429

reaper239
Jan 25th, 2012, 01:00 PM
there have been several gun threads untill they wereparsed down. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!! i'm sure nik will combine the two shortly. anywho, it's either very common, or very crappy. but i'm not a huge fan of breaktops so... yeah.

this is my baby:

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_290765_552_01?hei=220&wid=380
simple, clean, 8+1, .45, real sweet piece. finnicky about her ammo though.

Adventureless_Hero
Jan 25th, 2012, 01:21 PM
there have been several gun threads untill they wereparsed down. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!! i'm sure nik will combine the two shortly. anywho, it's either very common, or very crappy. but i'm not a huge fan of breaktops so... yeah.

this is my baby:

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_290765_552_01?hei=220&wid=380
simple, clean, 8+1, .45, real sweet piece. finnicky about her ammo though.

I have a 1911 Springfield .45 that I'll post a photo of later. I love the look and feel of it but my one gripe is the safety feature that has to be depressed on the rear of the grip. When I am showing it to friends and they pull the slide back (after making certain it is empty of course) I like to release the hammer gently but with this gun it's a funner matter; keeping that safety feature depressed and placing a thumb on the hammer to let it forward gently. Other than that, this gun has always, always been my wet dream, and now I own one. ^w^

reaper239
Jan 25th, 2012, 01:33 PM
the easy solution is this:
1 hold in your firing hand
2 place thumb on hammer like you would decock any other gun
3 pull hammer back until it depressess the grip safety
4 pull trigger and slowly let the hammer fall forward, the grip safety will stay depressed the whole time

Adventureless_Hero
Jan 25th, 2012, 01:42 PM
the easy solution is this:
1 hold in your firing hand
2 place thumb on hammer like you would decock any other gun
3 pull hammer back until it depressess the grip safety
4 pull trigger and slowly let the hammer fall forward, the grip safety will stay depressed the whole time

so in step 3 is my palm depressing the grip safety? I'll fiddle with it more when I get home. I can kind of picture what you are describing to me but it's difficult without holding the gun. Won't the rear guard that keeps my skin from getting pinched by the action of the slide make it difficult to get my thumb on the hammer while depressing the grip safety?

nikvoodoo
Jan 25th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Uh yeah....there's like 4 or 5 threads already about guns and what you have and what you'd prefer to have. I'm closing this and will merge it elsewhere later.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 26th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Uh yeah....there's like 4 or 5 threads already about guns and what you have and what you'd prefer to have. I'm closing this and will merge it elsewhere later.

WTH really no threads dealing with weapons? Don't worry Nik I got this. Thread merged and adding flashing lights with classic Kiss playing in the background.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 26th, 2012, 06:24 AM
I was surprised to see there wasn't a thread about guns yet so I thought I'd create one. This should be a thread about all things guns. Feel free to post pictures of yours, discuss others, or ask questions about guns. If I weren't at work and weren't so damn lazy, I would dress this thread up all pretty and name it Locked 'n Loaded.

"Oh My Stars and Garters!" I don't see how you missed the thread labled exactly "Locked N Loaded." LOL!

Adventureless_Hero
Jan 26th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Yipes...not only that but I just sent Nik a PM saying, "hey...'bout my thread the other day, are you going to make good on your offer to merge and create?"

I don't know how I missed this either! I think my search terms only included "Guns" so a bazillion threads popped up. Can you tell I'm a search term wiz? :P

Anygay, Reaper, I went home, fiddled with my .45 (get your mind out of the gutter folks) and found that yes, you are correct. I can uncock the hammer in a more comfortable way. I even figured out a way to do it with one hand but it's a bit tricky. A couple of times the hammer slipped off my thumb and hit the firing pin too hard. That's a no-no. Can you imagine if it were loaded?!

I love my 1911 but my H&R .22 with the custom grips my father made are still my favorite! Pics to follow...one day.

nikvoodoo
Jan 26th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Hero....you have some fail on you....... ;)

And pardon the shortness in my PM reply. At work and can't really be checking the forum too much.

Adventureless_Hero
Jan 26th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Fail? Is that what that is? I thought it was some douchbaggery. :S

Thanks Nik! Thanks Crowbar! I should have known better than to believe there wasn't a thread dedicated to weapons.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 26th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Fail? Is that what that is? I thought it was some douchbaggery. :S

Thanks Nik! Thanks Crowbar! I should have known better than to believe there wasn't a thread dedicated to weapons.

Um.. yah, you sure should'a! ahhaha. I will say that I did the same search when I saw a couple new weapons threads pop up. I remembered that we'd went a few rounds on a couple, but couldn't find them either. I did the search thing and it burped too. I just broke out my electronic Kbar and started digging and found the older threads.

HorrorHiro
Jan 26th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Wow, I wonder many of you haven't even thought twice about the human threat?

reaper239
Jan 26th, 2012, 07:52 PM
check this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0GpEGDw8eo&amp;context=C3e58d0cADOEgsToPDskJi pWkIXZx9rx2uumynszu9

silly yes, but i figured it did the job

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 27th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Wow, I wonder many of you haven't even thought twice about the human threat?

What'cha talk'n bout Willis?

reaper239
Jan 30th, 2012, 01:30 PM
http://www.gunpics.net/bullets/bullets.JPG

Comparison of bullets, from left to right:
8mm Mauser, .303 British, 7.62x54R, 7.62x51 (nato), 7.63x39, 8mm Kurz, 7.62 nagant, 7.62x25, 9mm Parabellum and 9mm corto (.380 auto)

the 7.62x54r (third from the left) is for the mosin nagant i just got for $135. that's right, on the cheap. i also have a friend with a mauser. that is a fun gun. the next peice i want is a .380 (far right) it also makes me a little sad that they don't have a .45 or a 5.56 for comparison .

reaper239
Jan 30th, 2012, 01:45 PM
http://guntech.com/ammo/compare.jpg

here's a great pic for the rifle rounds. one thing important to note, the 5.56 is smaller than the 7.62, however because of the design of the 5.56 it does more damage to tissue. also the 7.62 has more bullet drop, but with the proper elevation, it will keep its velocity longer due to weight. that's why the iron sight on my mosin nagant goes out to 2000 meters, even though i prolly can't even see that far. it is my opinion that the 6.8 spc is a good personal defense round, good for close quarters, while the 6.5 grendel brings a little from both the 5.56 and the 7.62, and makes a good compromise of the two.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 1st, 2012, 08:13 AM
http://guntech.com/ammo/compare.jpg

here's a great pic for the rifle rounds. one thing important to note, the 5.56 is smaller than the 7.62, however because of the design of the 5.56 it does more damage to tissue. also the 7.62 has more bullet drop, but with the proper elevation, it will keep its velocity longer due to weight. that's why the iron sight on my mosin nagant goes out to 2000 meters, even though i prolly can't even see that far. it is my opinion that the 6.8 spc is a good personal defense round, good for close quarters, while the 6.5 grendel brings a little from both the 5.56 and the 7.62, and makes a good compromise of the two.

If I had my druthers, 7.62 is what I'm throwing at a behemoth. Give me an old fashioned belt fed M60.. wait, what I'm I talking about. Those are HAF to carry! hhahha.
Anyway, I'd still pick a weapons system that allowed me to use the 7.62.

Grognaurd
Feb 1st, 2012, 09:30 AM
ME, I want a .22 like Victor! Not! A starter's Pistol has almost the same amount of powder. On the other hand it is a really nice starter rifle. BB to pelet to 22 worked for me and my extended family. Shit, Dad has an ol .22 that has an octagonal barrel, single shot amd more than 100 years old.

Here is my 2x 1894 Winchester. Lever Action with a sadle ring to boot!

reaper239
Feb 1st, 2012, 10:04 AM
If I had my druthers, 7.62 is what I'm throwing at a behemoth. Give me an old fashioned belt fed M60.. wait, what I'm I talking about. Those are HAF to carry! hhahha.
Anyway, I'd still pick a weapons system that allowed me to use the 7.62.

against a behemoth? i'd go 120 mm smooth bore, that's right, i'm talkin' 'bout the Abrams. the M60 is heavy, but it is a beast. one of the best support weapons the military ever deployed. against regular zed though, it's a toss up: if i had an M60, i'd take it, but knowing how the 5.56 acts if i had to choose between an M4 and say a SCAR-L, i'd go M4 simply because i can carry more ammo and the 5.56 is just as effective against flesh, if not more so, than the 7.62.

check this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZPGSiDs5_k

Jordan531
Mar 7th, 2012, 10:41 AM
First of all, don't knock .22 cal. It may seem like a small round but if it's cranial shots that count ya can't beat it. I have a Ruger 10/22 (one of my zombie go-to guns) with a few 30 round mags and the whole package is MUCH lighter and handier than my AR-15 with a similar loadout. Lighter recoil, quicker followups and you can carry thousands of rounds before it would get too heavy. Granted, it would do very little with body shots. Main use would be hunting small game.

Second, in a survival situation I'd steer clear of "exotic" weapons like the SCAR mentioned earlier. AR-15 parts are easy to come by and are interchangeable between most models. Not so much with guns like the SCAR. Also, think about chambering. Is it going to be easier to find American spec ammo like 5.56, .308, 9mm etc or foreign ammo like 7.62x39 (AK)?

Jordan531
Mar 7th, 2012, 10:51 AM
As a firearms enthusiast who owns and customizes several personal guns I think the Firearms are depicted very well. I only ask, how are people besides Michael, Angel and Saul carrying their sidearms...

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 13th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Ok Troops,

More gun goodness to be had by all. Peep the following

1. Zombie Gears and Guns for 2012

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2012/01/20/zombie-guns-and-gear-from-shot-show-2012/

2. 5 types of Zombies.. know em

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2011/11/03/know-your-undead-5-need-to-know-zombie-types/

3. An Inside Look at Hornady Zombie Max Ammo

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2011/10/14/hornady-zombie-max-ammo/

4. What are the Best Calibers for the Zombie Apocalypse?

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2011/12/20/calibers-for-zombies/

Cabbage Patch
Mar 13th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Somewhere, in one of these many threads, I remember someone saying that their ideal anti-Zombie loadout would include "two 45 Automatics". That person's in luck, because now it's possible to have that in one hand. Here's a link to the new Arsenal Double-Barrel 45: http://www.arsenalfirearms.com/products/af-2011-a1-double-barrel-pistol

Hellbringer
Mar 13th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Somewhere, in one of these many threads, I remember someone saying that their ideal anti-Zombie loadout would include "two 45 Automatics". That person's in luck, because now it's possible to have that in one hand. Here's a link to the new Arsenal Double-Barrel 45: http://www.arsenalfirearms.com/products/af-2011-a1-double-barrel-pistol

Holy Cats! How does that thing fire more than one round without heat messing with the other barrel? It looks cool as hell, and I'd love to have one.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 22nd, 2012, 11:41 AM
Since we're discussion equipment, I think it only fair to also address garb. I believe a maskless wetsuit would be very helpful in the We're Alive universe. All your perspiration would be retained inside the suit, masking your scent. Keeping the mask off helps your peripheral vision, which is absolutely crucial. Also, a wetsuit doesn't encumber your movement like many other clothing choices would with the same benefits.

As for weaponry: ranged weaponry, I might choose a .22 with CB caps. Basically it causes you firing to sound more like a thud than a bang.
For melee, I know you chose a hammer, but I would lean more towards an ice pick. The kind that climbers use.

J0be,

The problem with a wetsuit is that you'll overheat and die.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 22nd, 2012, 11:46 AM
Again everyone, go to Amazon to create your survival or weapons list then share it with us.

Kin
Mar 23rd, 2012, 06:24 PM
The answer for best melee weapon has to be a morning star. You may have issues finding one however.

Wicked Sid
Mar 23rd, 2012, 06:43 PM
Weight is an issue with a morning star and if you miss there's a helluva lot of weight that's going to drag you in its wake, making it difficult to regain your composure for strike #2.

It's meant for a stun (which is a non-issue to zombies) or a one-shot kill. Accuracy and tremendous arm strength are both necessities for this weapon. Groups are also going to be a problem, see reasons above.

Kin
Mar 24th, 2012, 04:59 PM
True. Aluminum baseball bat with spikes welded to it?

Eviebae
Mar 24th, 2012, 06:07 PM

Fill it with shot and it becomes a dead-blow hammer writ large.

daredevil
Mar 24th, 2012, 08:39 PM

Welding stuff to a curve aluminium bat wouldn't be the strongest connection... They may break off.

Eviebae
Apr 1st, 2012, 06:59 PM
I stand by my original idea; you'd be better off doing mass kills from a distance. It's not a personally satisfying approach, but sooner or later you run out of bullets, your weapon jams or gets too hot. Swords and bats etc are last resort because the zombies are stronger and faster than you, not to mention contagious. Use the sweat to lure them into a building and blow it up or burn it down. I wonder if they can be electrocuted?

I wonder if ACME makes zombie weaponry...

reaper239
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:16 AM
since the WAZ are still technically alive, you should be able to execute them anyway you could a regular human. i would think that electricity would make a particularly effective weapon since runners...

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Apr 4th, 2012, 08:22 AM
If I can't have my crowbar, give me an Axe handle. Hopefully one from a fire axe. taint ...yeah, I said "taint"-no way that thing is breaking!

Ok. here's a chance to have a bit of fun. Name and (if possible) paste a picture of the wierdest or most exotic weapon you'd use.

Eviebae
Apr 4th, 2012, 10:59 AM
:D
on an unrelated note, eviebae, i love your sig.

:D

Hellbringer
Apr 4th, 2012, 04:12 PM
If I can't have my crowbar, give me an Axe handle. Hopefully one from a fire axe. taint ...yeah, I said "taint"-no way that thing is breaking!

Ok. here's a chance to have a bit of fun. Name and (if possible) paste a picture of the wierdest or most exotic weapon you'd use.

ok, here's what I'd take with me on hand-to-sword combat

http://www.nepalkhukurihouse.com/picture/about-gurkhas6.jpg

http://www.swordsofmight.com/images/products/detail/Kukri_Set.1.jpg

http://eriksedge.com/pics/PH493%20-%20Moro%20Kris%201/PH493A.jpg

Cabbage Patch
Apr 4th, 2012, 05:41 PM

If you've been watching The Walking Dead you might recognize this collection of edged weapons. It's the Gerber Knives "Apocalypse Kit", consisting of 3 large, machete-like blades, 3 folding knives and a hatchet. All of the knives used on the TV series come from this kit. You can find details at http://www.gerbergear.com/Apocalypse/Gear/Apocalypse-Kit_30-000601

Condor
Apr 9th, 2012, 10:32 PM
For body armor: Leather, lots of leather. Another option denim reinforced with duct tape. Doubtful zombies can bite harder than humans so either would stop bites.

Pistols: pair of Glock 17 with 33rd mags. 2 Glocks in case one breaks or malfunctions I'll have a backup and 9mm so ammo should be easy to find.

Rifle: AR-15 I actually like the AK better because of the reliability and larger rounds but I went with the AR because of easier mag changes.

Last chance weapon: aluminum baseball bat

I'll also have a 1911 .45 loaded with Hornady Zombie-max loads and Hogue Zombie-X grips (kinda like this): http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/327480_306197146083550_110599962309937_765762_1269 254513_o.jpg

daredevil
Apr 10th, 2012, 12:37 AM
For body armor: Leather, lots of leather. Another option denim reinforced with duct tape. Doubtful zombies can bite harder than humans so either would stop bites.

Pistols: pair of Glock 17 with 33rd mags. 2 Glocks in case one breaks or malfunctions I'll have a backup and 9mm so ammo should be easy to find.

Rifle: AR-15 I actually like the AK better because of the reliability and larger rounds but I went with the AR because of easier mag changes.

Last chance weapon: aluminum baseball bat

I'll also have a 1911 .45 loaded with Hornady Zombie-max loads and Hogue Zombie-X grips (kinda like this): http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/327480_306197146083550_110599962309937_765762_1269 254513_o.jpg

My eyes just orgasmed.

Cabbage Patch
Apr 10th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Let's not forget to pack a bayonet with those assault rifles! An M-4/M-16 or an AK is much more effective as a spear with the bayonet than as a club without one. That could make all the difference when you need to avoid gunfire or the weapon won't fire.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Apr 11th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Hellbringer... I think I just divorced my crowbar. WTF is that sword that cat is sitting with? F'n HUGE! I think I'm suffering from P..s envy. They must use that thing for decapitating elephants!!

Hellbringer
Apr 11th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Hellbringer... I think I just divorced my crowbar. WTF is that sword that cat is sitting with? F'n HUGE! I think I'm suffering from P..s envy. They must use that thing for decapitating elephants!!

It's a Gurkha sword. Just a bigger version of the Gurkha knife. I really want one, too. I can't have guns in the house yet, but I think having this mounted on the wall will definitely get some people thinking twice about what they'll do in my house.

reaper239
Apr 11th, 2012, 11:42 AM
It's a Gurkha sword. Just a bigger version of the Gurkha knife. I really want one, too. I can't have guns in the house yet, but I think having this mounted on the wall will definitely get some people thinking twice about what they'll do in my house.

so, what, the mrs won't let you? if that's the case, may i suggest that you make some hidey holes. simply put: these are places where you can hide something to have it hidden but still somewhat accessable. some for instances: if you want something to be well hidden, and aren't worried that you will need to access it with any ease or regularity, you could seal it in the wall. granted, dry wall isn't a very sturdy material, but any one looking for anything probably won't go around smashing all the walls in your home. conversely if you hide something in a false drawer bottom, you can access it easily, but anyone who does a half decent job searching your home would find it. my suggestion is any place you have wood paneling you can hide something behind that won't be easily seen, but will still be accessible. perfect for stashing handguns throughout your house... so you'll be ready :tinfoil:

crazy aside, this technique works well with small things like passports, identification papers, emergency credit cards, emergency cash (better than emergency credit cards), etc. a great place for a hidey hole is the middle hinge attached to the wall on an interior door. you begin by removeing the door and cutting a hole of the size required to hold your valuables. be careful here to leave the screw holes in tact. it may be neccesarry, depending on how much you need to store, to pick two interior doors in close proximity (ie across from each other, next to each other, etc). make the hole as deep as you need it, but be careful not ot make it too deep so that it's not hard to get your stash out. it may be wise to use a plastic baggy so everything will come out in one smooth motion. next, place your valuables in the hidey hole, then, reinstall the door. it would be wise to use very short screws so that they just barely screw into the door jamb. this is a good idea because in an absolute shtf gtfo NOW scenario, you can just kick the door off it's hinges and the screw in the door jamb will be more likely to rip out.

so there you have it, a simple and helpful tip to ensure that any valubale documents are easily accessible, but secure enough that if by chance a burglar, or you arch enemy, should happen to break in to your home, they will have a sgnificantly lower chance of finding these high value pieces of information.

Adventureless_Hero
Apr 11th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I'm taking my father's Charles Daily .45 in to the gunsmith. He says that around the 3rd or 4th round the pistol continues to stove pipe. He put in a new extractor but has the same issue still. I hope it isn't something as simple as the magazine. I'm fairly certain he would have tried different clips.

That and the slide has a little bit of play to it after you put a pipe in the round. I'm hoping the estimate will come out to under $200. I'll attach a photo of the pistol later today.

Hellbringer
Apr 11th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Reaper, it's more about our kids than anything else. Most will be out of the house in a couple of years, and by then, I'll probably be more inclined to get something. Although, I really want an Enfield 303 knock-off made in Peshawar. However, I want to buy one there. Long story. If I do end up with a gun, it'll be a long barrel rifle. Not much of a pistol fan myself.

One of the local pawn shops had a British rifle (can't remember the model) from WWII for less than 100 bucks. Should've bought it right then, because the place burned down several months later.

Cabbage Patch
Apr 11th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Hellbringer,

I remember there being lots of great places to buy guns in Texas. If you're anywhere near Austin or Killeen I'd be happy to forward recommendations.

I would re-consider getting a new Peshawar Enfield. Importing something like that will probably be slow and expensive. You can get a World War 2 vintage Enfield in excellent condition for $150 to $300. And they qualify under the Curio & Relics (C&R) rules, which means they're not subject to a waiting period or a number of other restrictions that apply to new guns.

reaper239
Apr 11th, 2012, 02:18 PM
an enfield is semi auto right? and a long rifle? there shouldn't be a wait period on that. unless texas got goofy since i've been gone.

Hellbringer
Apr 11th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Hellbringer,

I remember there being lots of great places to buy guns in Texas. If you're anywhere near Austin or Killeen I'd be happy to forward recommendations.

I would re-consider getting a new Peshawar Enfield. Importing something like that will probably be slow and expensive. You can get a World War 2 vintage Enfield in excellent condition for $150 to $300. And they qualify under the Curio & Relics (C&R) rules, which means they're not subject to a waiting period or a number of other restrictions that apply to new guns.

Cabbage Patch, the Peshawar gun wouldn't be for shooting, and I wouldn't be importing it. Life goal is to buy one there. I had to do a project for class and studied Peshawar for quite a bit along with a lot of other stuff along the Durand Line. If I ever got one, I would mount it in a case and hang it up in my library/computer room/man cave.

I'm familiar with some of the stores in the Killeen area. I'm pretty sure half the nation has heard of Guns Galore by now... that was a joke. Is this thing on? Hello, crickets, you there? Anyway, I'd love for the place to have an indoor shooting range to take the wife. There's some ranges along the way to Austin, but they're outside ranges and I haven't heard too much on them. Maybe I SHOULD stop in Guns Galore and ask around... but like I know what I'm talking about, of course.

reaper239
Apr 11th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Cabbage Patch, the Peshawar gun wouldn't be for shooting, and I wouldn't be importing it. Life goal is to buy one there. I had to do a project for class and studied Peshawar for quite a bit along with a lot of other stuff along the Durand Line. If I ever got one, I would mount it in a case and hang it up in my library/computer room/man cave.

I'm familiar with some of the stores in the Killeen area. I'm pretty sure half the nation has heard of Guns Galore by now... that was a joke. Is this thing on? Hello, crickets, you there? Anyway, I'd love for the place to have an indoor shooting range to take the wife. There's some ranges along the way to Austin, but they're outside ranges and I haven't heard too much on them. Maybe I SHOULD stop in Guns Galore and ask around... but like I know what I'm talking about, of course.

woah woah woah, that's just not cool man. it's like an insult to the gun to not be shot. i mean, how do you think your eyes would feel if you mounted them on a wall and didn't use them for looking at stuff? it's what they were made for.

Cabbage Patch
Apr 11th, 2012, 02:49 PM
If you opt for an Enfield shooter I recommend that you contact your local chapter of the National Rifle Association. When I was at Fort Hood they sponsored regular weekend shooting ranges for people firing long-guns. The company was good, with a lot of experienced shooters and gunsmiths on hand, all of whom were willing to offer loads of advice. And it was a great place to schmooze with senior NCOs and officers from the base in a friendly, non-work environment.

Here's a link to information about about shooting ranges in Texas for you http://www.texasgunrange.com/

Hellbringer
Apr 11th, 2012, 03:01 PM
woah woah woah, that's just not cool man. it's like an insult to the gun to not be shot. i mean, how do you think your eyes would feel if you mounted them on a wall and didn't use them for looking at stuff? it's what they were made for.

hahaha, I wouldn't feel too bad, but the Peshawar guns aren't the real deal. To me, it'd be like owning a lithograph and not the real thing. Don't worry, I want a REAL Enfield as well, but the Peshawar one is higher goal for me for now. Once I'm retired and most of the kids have gone off to college, I'll probably start collecting, but until then, it's all dreams for me.

Cabbage Patch, thanks for the link. I'll have to check out Red's during the summer when I'm back in town.

Condor
Apr 11th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Shotgun: Kel-Tec KSG (I really want one of those if they'll ever get enough on the market)

sub-machine gun: FN P90 (so the 5.7X28 round isn't very popular yet, but almost no recoil and fun to shoot)

Let's not forget to pack a bayonet with those assault rifles! An M-4/M-16 or an AK is much more effective as a spear with the bayonet than as a club without one. That could make all the difference when you need to avoid gunfire or the weapon won't fire.
Forget the bayonet, if you're close enough to stick-em, you're close enough to shoot-em. lol

a great place for a hidey hole is the middle hinge attached to the wall on an interior door. you begin by removeing the door and cutting a hole of the size required to hold your valuables. be careful here to leave the screw holes in tact. it may be neccesarry, depending on how much you need to store, to pick two interior doors in close proximity (ie across from each other, next to each other, etc). make the hole as deep as you need it, but be careful not ot make it too deep so that it's not hard to get your stash out. it may be wise to use a plastic baggy so everything will come out in one smooth motion. next, place your valuables in the hidey hole, then, reinstall the door. it would be wise to use very short screws so that they just barely screw into the door jamb. this is a good idea because in an absolute shtf gtfo NOW scenario, you can just kick the door off it's hinges and the screw in the door jamb will be more likely to rip out.

so there you have it, a simple and helpful tip to ensure that any valubale documents are easily accessible, but secure enough that if by chance a burglar, or you arch enemy, should happen to break in to your home, they will have a sgnificantly lower chance of finding these high value pieces of information.
Did you see that on Burn Notice?

an enfield is semi auto right? and a long rifle? there shouldn't be a wait period on that. unless texas got goofy since i've been gone.Bolt action rifle.

reaper239
Apr 12th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Shotgun: Kel-Tec KSG (I really want one of those if they'll ever get enough on the market)

sub-machine gun: FN P90 (so the 5.7X28 round isn't very popular yet, but almost no recoil and fun to shoot)

Forget the bayonet, if you're close enough to stick-em, you're close enough to shoot-em. lol

Did you see that on Burn Notice?

Bolt action rifle.

yes on the KSG, and a bayonet is a good utility tool, not just a good knife. yes i watch burn notice, but those tricks were out there long before that show. besides, he did it wrong, granted he had no interior doors, but he also used the top hinge, which is bad because that's a weight supporting hinge.

Hellbringer
Apr 12th, 2012, 04:06 AM
yes on the KSG, and a bayonet is a good utility tool, no just a good knife. yes i watch burn notice, but those tricks were out there long before that show. besides, he did it wrong, granted he had no interior doors, but he also used the top hinge, which is bad because that's a weight supporting hinge.

Dang, I have to get back into Burn Notice. I liked watching it, but when I started working a crazy schedule, the TV shows took a hiatus in my book. Now that I'm back on a more normal routine, I should have time to catch up.

reaper239
Apr 12th, 2012, 05:29 AM
netflix homie, all but the latest season.

reaper239
Apr 12th, 2012, 06:44 AM
bump fire. get one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6BFarrICWs&amp;feature=bf_next&amp;list=UUEPTp5WM Azjh9mOrKUwRLmQ&amp;lf=plpp_play_all

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Apr 12th, 2012, 08:12 AM
HB..
Buy a Mossin Nagant. Kentucky Gun Co has them going for 80 bucks!! 7.62 bolt action for dat A..!
Most def safer for you with kids around due to the training involved to simply rack a round. Much easier to secure and harder for a knuckle headed kid to hid in their coat and take to school or sit on the bed trying to peer down the barrel.

So, what's exactly are the safety issues or restrictions you have?
Are the kids old enough to attend classes or hit the range with you?

Cabbage Patch
Apr 12th, 2012, 12:08 PM
A Mosin Nagant rifle would be a great weapon to have in the zombie apocalypse, inexpensive, reliable, effective out to fairly long range. And with the 18 inch bayonet it becomes a 5½ foot long spear. The ammo could be hard to find, so stock up in advance.

reaper239
Apr 12th, 2012, 12:17 PM
plus, even without a bayonet it makes one heck of a club.

Adventureless_Hero
Apr 12th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Here's one of my father's many .45's before I left it with the gun smith. It's a Charles Daley suffering from a wonky extractor. Actually, I'm not sure what the problem is. The third round stovepipes and he put a brand new extractor in there and it still does the same thing. Also the slide has a bit of play to it after you have cocked it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/adventureless_hero/DadsCharlesDaley45.jpg

Cabbage Patch
Apr 12th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I had a similar problem with a Colt Series 80 Combat Government 45 Auto. It worked perfectly with Colt brand magazines, but had constant problems with stovepipes with any other brand of magazine. A trip to the gunsmith, some modifications to the magazine well and the feed ramp and it has worked fine ever since.

Adventureless_Hero
Apr 12th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I had a similar problem with a Colt Series 80 Combat Government 45 Auto. It worked perfectly with Colt brand magazines, but had constant problems with stovepipes with any other brand of magazine. A trip to the gunsmith, some modifications to the magazine well and the feed ramp and it has worked fine ever since.

Interesting. I was hoping it wasn't something as simple as the wrong type of my magazine. The gunsmith is a good and trusted one. Hopefully he notices that he needs to file down the little bump near the hammer left by the new extractor my father installed. I hope to post photos of the pistols I own later this weekend.

Hellbringer
Apr 12th, 2012, 02:56 PM
HB..
Buy a Mossin Nagant. Kentucky Gun Co has them going for 80 bucks!! 7.62 bolt action for dat A..!
Most def safer for you with kids around due to the training involved to simply rack a round. Much easier to secure and harder for a knuckle headed kid to hid in their coat and take to school or sit on the bed trying to peer down the barrel.

So, what's exactly are the safety issues or restrictions you have?
Are the kids old enough to attend classes or hit the range with you?

Crowbar,

Two of my kids are old enough to go to the range and/or attend classes. The problem comes in with one being autistic. That coupled with she sometimes gets picked on, we're hedging our bets on keeping a gun out of the house for now. And the pellet gun (rifle, whatever) I have stashed in the garage doesn't count; that's a snake/vermit killer.

I know about gun cabinets and gun locks, but between the above and having to move every couple of years, I'd rather wait until I'm finally settled down in one place, permanently, before I get something. In the meantime, I have several knives (a Pakistani SSG survival knife or 4, some WWII British bayonets, and a Navy survival knife somewhere) and if all Hades breaks loose right in front of my computer room, a West Point sword mounted on a wall, but within easy reach of an above average height adult to grab.

I had my hands on 7 Russian AK bayonets while I was overseas, but at the time, they were not allowed back into the states with me. Really bites, because when the restriction on those finally lifted, I found I had to barter a lot more to try and get one. By that point, though, it was moot to me.

I'll probably ask the wife about the Mossin, though.

Condor
Apr 16th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Update: I saw in a catalog today, they now have 100rd drum mags for 9mm Glocks, so instead of the 33rd mags I'm going with the 100rd drums. :yay:

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Apr 18th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Update: I saw in a catalog today, they now have 100rd drum mags for 9mm Glocks, so instead of the 33rd mags I'm going with the 100rd drums. :yay:

100 round drum for a handgun?? Defeats the purpose doesn't it? How much would 100 rounds of .9 mm weigh? would you be able to hold it up long enough to do any good?

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Apr 18th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Crowbar,

Two of my kids are old enough to go to the range and/or attend classes. The problem comes in with one being autistic. That coupled with she sometimes gets picked on, we're hedging our bets on keeping a gun out of the house for now. And the pellet gun (rifle, whatever) I have stashed in the garage doesn't count; that's a snake/vermit killer.

I know about gun cabinets and gun locks, but between the above and having to move every couple of years, I'd rather wait until I'm finally settled down in one place, permanently, before I get something. In the meantime, I have several knives (a Pakistani SSG survival knife or 4, some WWII British bayonets, and a Navy survival knife somewhere) and if all Hades breaks loose right in front of my computer room, a West Point sword mounted on a wall, but within easy reach of an above average height adult to grab.

I had my hands on 7 Russian AK bayonets while I was overseas, but at the time, they were not allowed back into the states with me. Really bites, because when the restriction on those finally lifted, I found I had to barter a lot more to try and get one. By that point, though, it was moot to me.

I'll probably ask the wife about the Mossin, though.

Hey bro,
thanks from explaining your situation. Fully understand now. Do what's right for your fam.

reaper239
Apr 18th, 2012, 10:45 AM
100 round drum for a handgun?? Defeats the purpose doesn't it? How much would 100 rounds of .9 mm weigh? would you be able to hold it up long enough to do any good?

get a bipod for it.

Cabbage Patch
Apr 18th, 2012, 12:05 PM

get a bipod for it.

While you're add it, how about a shoulder stock, an extended barrel for those long shots, a vehicle mount, maybe some sort of stabilization system for firing on the move...

You end up with something a little like this: 1761

Hellbringer
Apr 18th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Hey bro,
thanks from explaining your situation. Fully understand now. Do what's right for your fam.

I appreciate all the points you guys brought out. And for understanding where I'm coming from. Having guns in the house is a subject not to be taken lightly, ever. I will definitely keep your discussions in my mind when we finally find the right time to have one in the home.

Condor
Apr 18th, 2012, 06:56 PM
100 round drum for a handgun?? Defeats the purpose doesn't it? How much would 100 rounds of .9 mm weigh? would you be able to hold it up long enough to do any good?That's a good question. I will admit that the coolness factor of a 100rd drum overrode the thought of practicality.
Some quick online window shopping shows the shipping weight of 100rd 9mm (Hornady Zombie-Max) as 3.124 lbs. A Glock 17 (unloaded) weight is 22.22 oz. Not counting the mag, which I couldn't find the weight for, we're at just over 4.5 lbs. So, fully loaded with 100rds would probably be around 5 lbs vs 2 lbs for a loaded Glock with 17rds. Heavy, but not really unbearable.

While you're add it, how about a shoulder stock, an extended barrel for those long shots, a vehicle mount, maybe some sort of stabilization system for firing on the move...

You end up with something a little like this: 1761
I'll just keep it simple with this: 1769 Although I wouldn't buy that now since I don't want to go through all the ATF red-tape to legally use one of those.

reaper239
Apr 19th, 2012, 07:03 AM
That's a good question. I will admit that the coolness factor of a 100rd drum overrode the thought of practicality.
Some quick online window shopping shows the shipping weight of 100rd 9mm (Hornady Zombie-Max) as 3.124 lbs. A Glock 17 (unloaded) weight is 22.22 oz. Not counting the mag, which I couldn't find the weight for, we're at just over 4.5 lbs. So, fully loaded with 100rds would probably be around 5 lbs vs 2 lbs for a loaded Glock with 17rds. Heavy, but not really unbearable.

I'll just keep it simple with this: 1769 Although I wouldn't buy that now since I don't want to go through all the ATF red-tape to legally use one of those.

with out the stock and foregrip there is no batfe involvment. with the stock and foregrip though it becomes an AOW unless you switch the barrel with an 18" in which case it becomes a full sived carbine. looking at it more though, you may not have to switch out anything since you're not actually modding the gun itself. worth looking into, but that shouldn't classify as a class 3. i'll do more research and repost.

reaper239
Apr 19th, 2012, 07:14 AM
ok, check this out.

http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-nfa-talk/143798-good-atf-ruling-pistols-rifles-sbrs.html

so, what it says is that if you switch the barrel to 16" (not 18, my bad) with the kit it is now a rifle, and you can switch it back to a straight up pistol (no carbine parts) without having to reclassify it because it started life as a pistol. in other words, you put the kit on it has to be the whole kit, you take the kit off it must be the whole kit. keep in mind that this is my interpretation. the fed is fucked up and would have no problems dragging you in front of a firing line for violation of laws layed down by one of their fascist alphabet soup agencies, so i would suggest you have someone qualified in law (like a lawyer) look over that reg and help you out. i also cannot speak for the state you live in, but unless it's new jeresy, new york, or california you should (again, consult someone) be good.

Condor
Apr 24th, 2012, 08:17 PM
with out the stock and foregrip there is no batfe involvment. with the stock and foregrip though it becomes an AOW unless you switch the barrel with an 18" in which case it becomes a full sived carbine. looking at it more though, you may not have to switch out anything since you're not actually modding the gun itself. worth looking into, but that shouldn't classify as a class 3. i'll do more research and repost.
The kit I mentioned doesn't come with a replacement barrel, so installing it would indeed convert the Glock to class 3 SBR and would require ATF approval. I've never seen or heard of a 16" barrel for a Glock, but there may be one I'm not aware of.
16" is minimum for rifle barrel and 18" for shotguns.
Yes, some gun regulations are crazy and arbitrary. I really have never understood why putting a stock on a pistol is illegal, you already have more restrictions on handguns than long guns. I only recently found out that if you add a vertical foregrip to a pistol it becomes AOW and that really makes no sense to me either.

I read in the NRA magazine about that rifle-to-pistol/pistol-to-rifle conversion ruling that was made last year. Their interpretation of the ruling was it still wasn't very clear on the legality of temporary conversions. So I guess you still have to be careful. Best advice, don't get caught. My personal opinion is if someone thinks an illegal/gray area legal conversion would be useful in a SHTF situation, they should have the parts on hand. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be illegal to possess the conversion parts as long as you don't put them on. Then, if the SHTF, most laws can be thrown out the window, so do what you gotta do.

Cabbage Patch
Apr 24th, 2012, 09:48 PM
I really have never understood why putting a stock on a pistol is illegal, you already have more restrictions on handguns than long guns. I only recently found out that if you add a vertical foregrip to a pistol it becomes AOW and that really makes no sense to me either.

I used to own a beautiful Thompson Center Contender, which is a modular weapon system. You get a single receiver group, to which you can attach a pistol grip or a rifle stock, and either long or short barrels in different calibers. I had parts to turn it into either a .22 LR or a 45 ACP pistol, or either a .22 LR or a .223 rifle. I'm in California, and I was more than a little worried that I had something that was illegal for me to own, so I checked on it. The bottom line was that yes, it was technically illegal to have both the pistol and rifle kits, but that for practical purposes I was okay as long as I never mixed the parts (long barrel with pistol grip, short barrel with rifle stock).

reaper239
Apr 25th, 2012, 06:08 AM
The kit I mentioned doesn't come with a replacement barrel, so installing it would indeed convert the Glock to class 3 SBR and would require ATF approval. I've never seen or heard of a 16" barrel for a Glock, but there may be one I'm not aware of.
16" is minimum for rifle barrel and 18" for shotguns.
Yes, some gun regulations are crazy and arbitrary. I really have never understood why putting a stock on a pistol is illegal, you already have more restrictions on handguns than long guns. I only recently found out that if you add a vertical foregrip to a pistol it becomes AOW and that really makes no sense to me either.

I read in the NRA magazine about that rifle-to-pistol/pistol-to-rifle conversion ruling that was made last year. Their interpretation of the ruling was it still wasn't very clear on the legality of temporary conversions. So I guess you still have to be careful. Best advice, don't get caught. My personal opinion is if someone thinks an illegal/gray area legal conversion would be useful in a SHTF situation, they should have the parts on hand. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be illegal to possess the conversion parts as long as you don't put them on. Then, if the SHTF, most laws can be thrown out the window, so do what you gotta do.

check this out. not sure where to find these 16" barrels, but they are out there. somewhere.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1301817

Cabbage Patch
Apr 25th, 2012, 07:05 AM
I haven't seen any sources for extended barrels for Glocks, but there is a conversion kit available for the Glock 21 line so that they can fire the same 50 caliber rounds that Burt uses for his Desert Eagle: http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Weapons/Articles/2009/11/Guncrafter-Industries-Glock-21-50-Caliber-Conversion.aspx

phobiarg
Apr 29th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Here's my EDC, I think this should suffice to get me home to my big stuff.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/phobiarg/edc.jpg

Glock 27 with Federal 165gr HSTs
Benchmade 710BKD2
Spyderco Native4
Leatherman Skeletool CX
4Sevens Quark AA2 Tactical
Oakley Sun Glasses
My bad habit
My enabler to my my bad habit
Cheap o wallet that is falling apart
Verizon Motorola DroidX
Car Keys, Work Keys, Apartment Keys

reaper239
Apr 30th, 2012, 05:58 AM
good stuff, i carry an Emerson roadhouse. i love that knife, and then i have an emergency kit in my trunk.

Cabbage Patch
Apr 30th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Here's my EDC, I think this should suffice to get me home to my big stuff.

Cool. Have you should submit this to the Every Day Carry web site: http://everyday-carry.com/

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
May 2nd, 2012, 08:26 AM
Ok troops,
look at what I just picked up..

Taurus 1911. 125 rounds, holster and 5 mags. $400.00
I couldn't pass it up!

reaper239
May 3rd, 2012, 04:19 AM
Ok troops,

I couldn't pass it up!

DAMN SONN!!!! please tell me that is a .45. i have a high standard 1911 that i love oh so much and will be getting back from the gun smith tomorrow :D:excited::omgomg::nyan::hammer:

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
May 3rd, 2012, 05:26 AM
DAMN SONN!!!! please tell me that is a .45. i have a high standard 1911 that i love oh so much and will be getting back from the gun smith tomorrow :D:excited::omgomg::nyan::hammer:

.45 ACP baby! Gonna take her on a date this weekend to see how she performs. Can't wait to see how she puts lead on target.

reaper239
May 3rd, 2012, 05:51 AM
.45 ACP baby! Gonna take her on a date this weekend to see how she performs. Can't wait to see how she puts lead on target.

taurus makes some pimpin revolvers but i haven't had the chance to check out their autos. you'll have to let me know how it performs. the 1911 is a classic, i love mine.

VEE
May 3rd, 2012, 05:52 AM
We aren't allowed weapons of any kind. I have my fists.

reaper239
May 3rd, 2012, 06:27 AM
there are some politicians stateside (who shall not be named) who are trying to take us the same direction. i have a bumper sticker on my car, "guns save lives, guns stop crime, guns are why america is free" it's very true, but for some reason, some people refuse to see the evidence.

VEE
May 3rd, 2012, 06:36 AM
there are some politicians stateside (who shall not be named) who are trying to take us the same direction. i have a bumper sticker on my car, "guns save lives, guns stop crime, guns are why america is free" it's very true, but for some reason, some people refuse to see the evidence.

It’s a difficult concept for me to be honest. We don’t have guns without a license, and those licensed weapons must not be carried but kept in locked gun cabinet which is periodically inspected by the Police, mainly shotguns. We are used to not having guns so we are comfortable with that, I do think that if we had been legally allowed them then we should always be legally allowed them, it isn’t the sort of situation that can be reversed.

reaper239
May 3rd, 2012, 07:15 AM
well, correct me if i'm wrong, but at one point weren't you allowed to own firearms? i thought the complete ban of handguns didn't take place until hte dunblane shootings in 96. regardless, disarming the people is wrong and only leads to oppression. the main reason the second ammendment is enshrined in the US bill of rights is to effect regime change if the current government becomes too overbearing and oppressive. and random police searches? that's just wrong. if you really want to make a change, i'm sure there are rights advocacy groups in the UK but i can't find any myself. it's not impossible to come back, just really hard.

VEE
May 3rd, 2012, 07:35 AM
Firearms have not routinely been carried during my lifetime, by the public or by the Police. The laws were tightened following a number of atrocities relating to licensed firearms, many of which it is now illegal to own. I seem to remember that the firearms that were allowed prior to this were for shooting clubs and suchlike and were not allowed to be taken out of those clubs, not sure though. Either way, we have no guns and have a very low homicide rate where guns are involved, according to wiki:

"In the United Kingdom in 2009 there were 0.07 recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm per 100,000 inhabitants; for comparison, the figure for the United States was 3.0, about 40 times higher"

To be honest, it would scare the crap out of me to see certain people in the UK being legally allowed to carry firearms, with our current binge drinking culture Friday and Saturday nights would become very dangerous indeed!

reaper239
May 3rd, 2012, 10:59 AM
i'd be careful with that wiki. check this (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1223193/Culture-violence-Gun-crime-goes-89-decade.html) out, and this (http://reason.com/archives/2002/11/01/gun-controls-twisted-outcome/singlepage). robert heinlin said, "an armed society is a polite society," and it holds true today. just look at US crime rates for proof: alaska, arizona, and texas, three of the most heavily armed states in the union also have some of the lowest crime rates, while states like new york, new jeresy, and california (in my best ah-nold voice) have some of the worst. do you think that the handgun ban stops criminals from carrying guns? i don't, and here in maryland, i'm not allowed to carry my gun either (currently under contention in woollard v sheridan). i'm treated like a criminal when i have done nothing wrong. that means that criminals can walk around armed (because they don't follow the law which is why they're criminals) and i must remain defenseless. how does that seem right? i'd rather have the power to defend myself against violent criminals, than have all law abiding citizens (because they are the only ones the laws affect) stripped of their rights and thrown to the wolves.

yarri
May 3rd, 2012, 11:24 AM
Firearms have not routinely been carried during my lifetime, by the public or by the Police. The laws were tightened following a number of atrocities relating to licensed firearms, many of which it is now illegal to own. I seem to remember that the firearms that were allowed prior to this were for shooting clubs and suchlike and were not allowed to be taken out of those clubs, not sure though. Either way, we have no guns and have a very low homicide rate where guns are involved, according to wiki:

"In the United Kingdom in 2009 there were 0.07 recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm per 100,000 inhabitants; for comparison, the figure for the United States was 3.0, about 40 times higher"

To be honest, it would scare the crap out of me to see certain people in the UK being legally allowed to carry firearms, with our current binge drinking culture Friday and Saturday nights would become very dangerous indeed!

Do remember the difference between the UK and the United states is the UK is an island and there is a better chance of controlling the influx of hand guns. The United States at this time does not currently secure their borders.

Unsecured borders mean the criminal element which is most likely 40 x greater then the UK's criminal element are armed to the teeth. Frankly, I'd rather take my chances with a firearm in my home during a break in then pray the Cops get to me and mine before the armed criminal rapes and shoots us.

yarri
May 3rd, 2012, 11:25 AM

They will take my gun when they pry it out of my cold dead fingers (when I get a gun :) )

reaper239
May 3rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
They will take my gun when they pry it out of my cold dead fingers (when I get a gun :) )

lol, i have five, AND GETTING MORE!!! :mad::omgomg::mad::omgomg::mad:

yarri
May 3rd, 2012, 11:50 AM

I'm jealous..

reaper239
May 3rd, 2012, 11:54 AM
M1 Carbine with lots of treats attached to make you jelly, mosin nagant with a scope, mossberg maverick 88 also making you jelly, highpower 9mm, 1911 .45 acp (my fav) once i get my babies back from the shop, i'll post pics.

yarri
May 3rd, 2012, 11:56 AM
M1 Carbine with lots of treats attached to make you jelly, mosin nagant with a scope, mossberg maverick 88 also making you jelly, highpower 9mm, 1911 .45 acp (my fav) once i get my babies back from the shop, i'll post pics.

tease..:meh:

Condor
May 4th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Ok troops,
u t
I couldn't pass it up!
Nice deal. I'm working a gun show this weekend, hopefully I'll find a few deals like that. At the last show, I almost bought a PT92, but the guy wouldn't come down on his price.

I do think that if we had been legally allowed them then we should always be legally allowed them, it isn’t the sort of situation that can be reversed.
You're exactly right, that's why many of us in the US are fighting hard to keep our gun rights.
From what I've heard, UK crime rates have greatly gone up since the gun bans, whereas in the US crime has gone down in gun friendly areas.
If we don't elect a new president in November, we're screwed!

Only 5?, lol
I think I've bought more than that in the last year, might buy that many this weekend if the prices are right. :)
That's actually one of the drawbacks to having a concealed carry permit, I'm spending too much money on guns. lol

HorrorHiro
May 5th, 2012, 01:01 PM
[To Moderators *please don't move this to the ongoing thread about guns*]

Since there is already a thread for sharing what weapons people on the forum have/would have, I thought there should be a thread for pictures of weapons that either you own or would want for a zombie outbreak type scenario.

Posts should consist of a brief summary and the picture(s). Examples below...

Captured stolen military-grade weapons belonging the Los Zetas and Sinalo Cartel's
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/6777/granadas.jpg

Gold/Silver plated and Diamond encrusted weapons of the Sinaloa Cartel
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01629/sinaloa-guns-wide_1629003i.jpg

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
May 5th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Horror
sorry but all things dealing with weapons go into the weapons thread. We already have pictures of what we own or would like to own...fantasy about having, military weapons..blah, blah, blah.
Sorry, but i'm moving with the others.

Crowbar Out.

reaper239
May 7th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Nice deal. I'm working a gun show this weekend, hopefully I'll find a few deals like that. At the last show, I almost bought a PT92, but the guy wouldn't come down on his price.

You're exactly right, that's why many of us in the US are fighting hard to keep our gun rights.
From what I've heard, UK crime rates have greatly gone up since the gun bans, whereas in the US crime has gone down in gun friendly areas.
If we don't elect a new president in November, we're screwed!

Only 5?, lol
I think I've bought more than that in the last year, might buy that many this weekend if the prices are right. :)
That's actually one of the drawbacks to having a concealed carry permit, I'm spending too much money on guns. lol

i will have you know that i am still young, and only get paid a moderate amount. something like 15 dollars an hour, and i live in one of the highest cost of living states in the US. it's hard out there for a pimp

Condor
May 7th, 2012, 05:23 PM
i will have you know that i am still young, and only get paid a moderate amount. something like 15 dollars an hour, and i live in one of the highest cost of living states in the US. it's hard out there for a pimp
Alright, I'll cut you some slack. Just keep pimpin' so you can add to the collection.

I didn't get to add to anything to my collection this weekend, but I did find a new item for my wishlist: https://www.masterpiecearms.com/proddetail.php?prod=MPA57sst&cat=23

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01629/sinaloa-guns-wide_1629003i.jpg
That picture just gave me a boner. That even looks like a gold plated suppressor, that's super pimp.

VEE
May 8th, 2012, 08:39 AM
I believe I am allowed to carry one of these bad boys

reaper239
May 8th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I believe I am allowed to carry one of these bad boys

yeah, mine's better.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6068/6077498063_dec20e926d_b.jpg

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
May 8th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I dig how every time a Dem is running or elected the "They're gonna take your guns" stuff starts up. Ain't happened yet and isn't going to happen. My rights as a black man voting will go before that ever happens. Congress passes laws, the president doesn't. Anyway..
I'll buy as many weapons as I need to protect my family (which will be a Saiga12, AR15 and a .380 for the wife.. and that's it).

Yarri,
how come you haven't purchased a weapon yet? Bersa makes some pretty inexpensive .380's. The Beretta Nano will run you about 450. Just make up your mind that you're gonna do it and set aside the money each check. I know how hard it is to get going, but you need to have some form of a firearm.
That knucklehead walking down Hollywood blvd a couple months ago made up my mind to get serious about buying one. Random crap like that is what we're dealing with these days instead of gov trying to take away our .50 cal duck hunting guns.

VEE
May 8th, 2012, 01:32 PM
yeah, mine's better.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6068/6077498063_dec20e926d_b.jpg

It is, my post was heavily laden with irony though.

reaper239
May 8th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I dig how every time a Dem is running or elected the "They're gonna take your guns" stuff starts up. Ain't happened yet and isn't going to happen. My rights as a black man voting will go before that ever happens. Congress passes laws, the president doesn't. Anyway..
I'll buy as many weapons as I need to protect my family (which will be a Saiga12, AR15 and a .380 for the wife.. and that's it).

Yarri,
how come you haven't purchased a weapon yet? Bersa makes some pretty inexpensive .380's. The Beretta Nano will run you about 450. Just make up your mind that you're gonna do it and set aside the money each check. I know how hard it is to get going, but you need to have some form of a firearm.
That knucklehead walking down Hollywood blvd a couple months ago made up my mind to get serious about buying one. Random crap like that is what we're dealing with these days instead of gov trying to take away our .50 cal duck hunting guns.

what incident was this?

i disagree on one point: the fed is trying to disarm the people, but it's not dems or reps, it's "progressives" which can be found in both parties. the problem is not one huge sweeping gun ban, it's little things. peice by peice they chip away at our freedoms until they can remove them wholesale from the constitution. like the assault weapons ban. anything can be used to assault someone, and therefore that would make it an assault weapon right? so the title is ambiguous, so let's go to content: it banned semi-automatic rifles. not assault rifles, which is a clissification of rifle defined by the inclusion of a select fire feature, but semi-automatic rifles like the AR-15, and it banned things based on aesthetics, not function. thank goodness that silly piece of legislation was not renewed, but that's how it starts. look at britain, they didn't start with the wholesale ban of firearms, they started with little restrictions here and there until not even the police are allowed to carry guns. sorry for the rant, i just see the threat to our freedoms as very real.

reaper239
May 8th, 2012, 01:41 PM
It is, my post was heavily laden with irony though.

are you actually allowed to carry a swiss army knife?

HorrorHiro
May 8th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Horror
sorry but all things dealing with weapons go into the weapons thread. We already have pictures of what we own or would like to own...fantasy about having, military weapons..blah, blah, blah.
Sorry, but i'm moving with the others.

Crowbar Out.

It is what is. For some reason i just assumed that this thread would degrade into an argument along the lines of "AK-47 Vs. M-16" sorry.

VEE
May 8th, 2012, 02:37 PM
are you actually allowed to carry a swiss army knife?

Yes. But that's about it really, and a leatherman maybe, I think we're allowed air rifles as well, we were when I was a kid but the laws may have changed. Definitely allowed a SAK though.

Hellbringer
May 8th, 2012, 07:51 PM
I dig how every time a Dem is running or elected the "They're gonna take your guns" stuff starts up. Ain't happened yet and isn't going to happen. My rights as a black man voting will go before that ever happens.

That made me laugh so hard!!!

reaper239
May 9th, 2012, 04:31 AM
It is what is. For some reason i just assumed that this thread would degrade into an argument along the lines of "AK-47 Vs. M-16" sorry.

both are great, just in different ways. the AK47 is like the workhorse of war, no matter what you do to it, it will keep on shooting. the AR platform is like a precision instrument, it requires love and care, but it is great at what it does. also, it's like a barbie doll for men. based on how the rounds are designed, i would go with the AR platform, but that's just a personal thing. plus i love accessories.

reaper239
May 9th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Yes. But that's about it really, and a leatherman maybe, I think we're allowed air rifles as well, we were when I was a kid but the laws may have changed. Definitely allowed a SAK though.

well at least it's something you could use to defend yourself. granted, i'd rather have a bazooka (no one's gonna mess with the man carrying a bazooka) or at least a handgun, but i'll settle for knife. (i live in maryland, and while woollard v sheridan is currently challenging the carry laws, citizens still can't carry here in maryland.)

Condor
May 9th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Admittedly, some of it may be "They're gonna take your guns" hype, but I've been reading several articles in the NRA's magazine about the back room plans and secret dealings that our "president" is working on currently and for a 2nd term. Also, the president selects Supreme Court Justices (with approval) and they interpret the laws. In the next 4 years there will be one or two new judges to be appointed. Considering how close the rulings on some recent major cases have been, the wrong people could be disaster for gun rights.

We may be getting a bit too political and this supposed to be a fun thread. Bottom line, whatever your political views are, just vote.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MHpvTj86f0

what incident was this?

i disagree on one point: the fed is trying to disarm the people, but it's not dems or reps, it's "progressives" which can be found in both parties. the problem is not one huge sweeping gun ban, it's little things. peice by peice they chip away at our freedoms until they can remove them wholesale from the constitution. like the assault weapons ban. anything can be used to assault someone, and therefore that would make it an assault weapon right? so the title is ambiguous, so let's go to content: it banned semi-automatic rifles. not assault rifles, which is a clissification of rifle defined by the inclusion of a select fire feature, but semi-automatic rifles like the AR-15, and it banned things based on aesthetics, not function. thank goodness that silly piece of legislation was not renewed, but that's how it starts. look at britain, they didn't start with the wholesale ban of firearms, they started with little restrictions here and there until not even the police are allowed to carry guns. sorry for the rant, i just see the threat to our freedoms as very real.
So true. Also, the ridiculous 10rd magazine limit. I can dump (3) 10rd mags about as quick as I could (2) 15rd or (1) 30rd.

both are great, just in different ways. the AK47 is like the workhorse of war, no matter what you do to it, it will keep on shooting. the AR platform is like a precision instrument, it requires love and care, but it is great at what it does. also, it's like a barbie doll for men. based on how the rounds are designed, i would go with the AR platform, but that's just a personal thing. plus i love accessories.I like the AKs durability and larger 7.62X39 round but, in a SHTF situation I'd probably go with the AR because I can reload it faster. There are a lot of companies now that are making cool accessories to trick out an AK.

GeneTwo
May 9th, 2012, 10:26 PM
"Their going to take your guns!" slogan has sold more guns than any tv, movie, or sexy model with a gun put together. I'm sure as soon as someone says "Their going to take your SPAM!" There's going to be a run of SPAM.

GeneTwo
May 9th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Actually I think they are going to ban SPAM, I'm going to buy some right now.

Condor
May 9th, 2012, 11:05 PM
"Their going to take your guns!" slogan has sold more guns than any tv, movie, or sexy model with a gun put together. I'm sure as soon as someone says "Their going to take your SPAM!" There's going to be a run of SPAM.

Red Shirt
May 20th, 2012, 01:59 PM
The main reason the second ammendment is enshrined in the US bill of rights is to effect regime change if the current government becomes too overbearing and oppressive.

Indeed. It is the hidden "fourth" of the Checks and Balances of our political system.

and random police searches? that's just wrong.

and our Fourth Amendment protects us from that.

That said and now that I have caught myself up on the some odd 26 pages in this thread, allow me to jump in with my gun pr0n:

The Barrett XM-109 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_XM109).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/jasmith101/M109.jpg
That's right. It is a 25mm x 59mm "sniper rifle." Look out Behemoths.

The Remington 1740. A double barrel pump action 12 gauge shotgun. 'Nuff said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/jasmith101/rem1470motiv.jpg

Chainsaw bayonet? Yes please:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/jasmith101/ChainsawBayonet.jpg

HK SL9SD (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_SL8#SL9SD)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/jasmith101/SL9SD.jpg
Shoots the .300 Whisper Cartridge. With a silencer, ANY rifle shooting the 300 whisper is scary quiet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H1-pd-tphQ).

And my personal favorite melee weapon, the ditch bank blade:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/jasmith101/ditchbank.jpg
No fancy ninja nonsense here, this thing's meant to take abuse.

Red Shirt
May 24th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Wasn't sure where to put this, as it is a magazine... but I wanted to share and have as many eyes see it as possible.

From the publishers of Guns & Ammo comes the premier issue of Zombie Nation (http://www.gunsandammo.com/shooting/blogs/zombie-nation/).

Here is a review of it on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f6PteN4E7Q).

Simply put, it is in the magazine review format for guns, ammo, knives, gear, even vehicles... for the zombie apocalypse.

Found it the other night at my local Wally World and had to pick it up. So far it is great. No BS in here, it's all seemingly good, effective advice for shooting and surviving in the apocalypse.

Osiris
May 24th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I picked up a copy a week or so ago. It's basically a 60 page ad for M16s. I was really hoping it would be more... I guess my mistake was that I didn't realize it was a G&A mag, or I would have kept walking.

Was disappoint.

But the target is on my bathroom wall now. :o

7oddisdead
May 24th, 2012, 08:32 PM
yup..gotta agree with osi. kinda a disappointing effort...but what should we have expected? this is a fine example of something latching hold of the genre for the sake of making a buck(im my opinion)..

i do kinda want that 1911 though ;)

Condor
May 24th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Cool looking magazine, but $9 seems a bit pricey.
That 1911 is not bad, but I REALLY want the Kel-Tec KSG. My local dealer has been trying to get one for over a year.
Also that "face stab" muzzle break would look awesome on my Rock River AR.