PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who

Magrat
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:58 PM
So I've been a huge Doctor Who fan since I was little and watching the re-runs of Baker. Anyone else (especially with Season 5&6 getting big in the US) really into Doctor Who and Matt Smith?

To tie it in to We're Alive a little bit, was talking with some people about Doctor Who and Zombies. Just within the 'new' series we've been seeing some places where 'zombified' sorts appear:

Season 01, Episode 03 "The Unquiet Dead": Gas Ghosts are infecting corpses and are very 'old school' zombie.

Season 01, Episode 10 "The Doctor Dances": This episode ha the Gas Mask creatures which are very zombie like, and it spreads through touch witch is kinda zombie-esque.

Season 04.5, Episode 16 "The Waters of Mars": We get corpses reanimated by aliens, which isn't really a virus or anything, but hey they act like zombies and are creepy as hell!

Season 06, Episode 5&6 "The Rebel Flesh/Almost People": Not quite zombies, but reanimated flesh all the same.

Anywho, any other fans of the show out there? Thanks to mascaria for putting 99% of the zombie-who stuff together!

Also, am looking for an episode/fan-fic or what-have-you where The Doctor is himself a zombie. A regeneration-gone-wrong so he's only half alive sort of thing.
The latest series gave me the idea, with doctors dropping like flies. (flesh doctor in Season 6 episode 5 & 6) or the half-regenerated-dead doctor (episodes 1&2).

Cheers,
Magrat.

Tandem25
Jun 7th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Just watched the mid-season finale. It was awesome. As usual.

Magrat
Jun 15th, 2011, 11:47 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/Lyskitsune/Doctor%20Who/Motivator-Zombie.jpg

Really enjoyed the revelations of the season 6 cliffhanger. Can't wait to see what we get later in the year. Thank god I've got We're not Dead to tide me over the break!

Magrat
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Oh, and I've found more zombie doctor images. I won't fill up the thread with them, so check out the original place here (http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/11/05/the-sfx-art-challenge-1-zombie-doctor-who-2/).

My favorite of the lot is this one of all the doctors zombified:

http://media.sfx.co.uk/files/2010/11/stephen-byrne_610.jpg

abayarts
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:32 PM
This show is by far my favorite TV show of all time, next to LOST. Happy that more people in the states are watching it.

Chogidog
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Somewhat Dr. Who related...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0qcZIv_tHU&feature=player_embedded

yarri
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I really like the new Dr Who. Matt Smith brings some freshness to the character that I haven't seen since Baker. I wasn't a huge fan of Tennant

abayarts
Jul 7th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Wow. wasn't a huge fan of tennant?!!?!?! Matt Smith is like the extreme version of tennant. haha.

yarri
Jul 7th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Wow. wasn't a huge fan of tennant?!!?!?! Matt Smith is like the extreme version of tennant. haha.

Nope I wasn't a huge fan of him. I actually I preferred Tom Baker. Matt Smith is much closer to Tom Baker's Dr then Tennant.

Magrat
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:18 AM
One thing a lot of people have mentioned is that Eccleston was the 'young' angry doctor fresh out of the time war, tennant was more playful but with a very sorrowful side to him. Smith, although a younger actor, has this uncanny knack to play both a young man and the doctors full 900+ years at the same time. He has this brilliant way to seem SO old, to have all that time inside him, and yet keeps coming out with this youthful exuberance. I do enjoy smith more and more.

abayarts
Jul 12th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Is it me, or does the Doctor gets younger every time he regenerate?

Waldo Butters
Jul 31st, 2011, 10:44 PM
IT HAS BEEN REVIVED!!!!

So is it just me, or are the Angels more frightening than the Daleks ever really seemed to be? I've never had seen a Dalek or Cybermen episode that made me jump every time they apear on screen. The Daleks and Cybermen have always seemed a bit silly and easily beatable for the Doctor (or atleast moderately difficult), compared to the Angels who either have to be sucked into the void or trapped in their own defensive instincts.

Magrat
Aug 1st, 2011, 03:13 AM
IT HAS BEEN REVIVED!!!!

So is it just me, or are the Angels more frightening than the Daleks ever really seemed to be? I've never had seen a Dalek or Cybermen episode that made me jump every time they apear on screen. The Daleks and Cybermen have always seemed a bit silly and easily beatable for the Doctor (or atleast moderately difficult), compared to the Angels who either have to be sucked into the void or trapped in their own defensive instincts.

Some older episodes, for their day, were bloody scary. But as far as the modern enemies go, the Angels and the Silence are the biggest issues. Back in the day the Cybermen were bloody scary (thinking Tomb of the Cybermen from Trouton's era).
It's always hard talking about creatures like the angels, because they change based on which episodes you have or haven't seen.

Waldo Butters
Aug 1st, 2011, 10:09 PM
Some older episodes, for their day, were bloody scary. But as far as the modern enemies go, the Angels and the Silence are the biggest issues. Back in the day the Cybermen were bloody scary (thinking Tomb of the Cybermen from Trouton's era).
It's always hard talking about creatures like the angels, because they change based on which episodes you have or haven't seen.

They also seem to evolve as time goes on. Or they gain use of powers they couldn't use/we didn't know about such as what happened to Pond's eye.

Pteranodon
Aug 1st, 2011, 11:55 PM
Dr Who is my all-time favorite show EVER. I consider the Weeping Angels the scariest WHO monster- I could NOT have watched them as a kid...My fav new villain is The Dream Lord, hope he comes back...

Born n raised in the USA (NJ specifically) yet somehow I grew up on Doctor Who, starting with Tom Baker in the late 70s.... I'm looking at my Matt Smith action figure right now, proudly displayed in the wrong control room alongside an Ood, Brannigan (cat guy in a bomber jacket from season 3) 6th Dr Who Colin Baker, Lars Umlaut (from Guitar Hero) and a 2nd Matt Smith figure (a flesh avatar perhaps?)...oh, and also Rosie the Robot (from the Jetsons)

Ok....so my childhood hero is now 12 years YOUNGER than me- I say "Screw continuity!"

BTW- would Marcus Scarman (from the old show, Pyramids of Mars) count as a zombie? The Dr described him as an 'animated cadaver'.....

Waldo Butters
Aug 1st, 2011, 11:58 PM
The Doctor probably doesn't believe in zombies, so they are most likely just people who are 'death challenged'.

Lieoften
Aug 1st, 2011, 11:59 PM
OMG! DOCTOR WHO! i <3 Doctor Who... not a big fan of the 11th though... he's good and all but, meh.. i miss tennant.

Magrat
Aug 4th, 2011, 04:50 AM
OMG! DOCTOR WHO! i <3 Doctor Who... not a big fan of the 11th though... he's good and all but, meh.. i miss tennant.

Tennant was amazing and of the new doctors he's done it the longest, but I feel like there was a lot of worry over the swap from eccleston to tennant and it took tennant a few episodes to ease into the role of the doctor before people truly committed to him. Smith (while a lot of tennant fans are still bucking, and they are welcome to) pulled us in within one episode and has been truly amazing ever since.

I find it interesting that people will always pick 'a' doctor to be theirs, but shall continue to watch the newer ones because at the end of the day they are all The Doctor, and they are all different, and we can connect in certain different ways with all of them.

Basically, awesome show! Can't wait for the end of the month when part 2 of season 6 starts up!

Brevard A. Smith
Aug 4th, 2011, 07:53 AM
This is cool, I was thinking about the same thing. Happy to see I am not the only one. I would like to see some fan fiction on this topic.

badhead
Aug 10th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I have been a fan since i was a kid, and Peter Davison was the doctor (i strongly recomend his last story the caves of androzani). Like the new series, apart from the dire love and monsters. But i think matt smaith is the best of the new doctors.

_Blaine_
Oct 3rd, 2011, 05:43 PM
Been a fan of the show for about a year now and I love it to death, the season finale was while not everything I wanted was VERY VERY good and I enjoyed it quite alot. River is my favorite character from the last 3 seasons (The Master being my favorite overall) and it really tied a few things with her up. Matt Smith is awesome all doctors are perfect the way they are I have no issues between them but since he was my first and you NEVER forget your first doctor Eccleston is MY doctor. but I think the last 3 doctors are just dealing with the last great time war Eccleston was Anger and Denial, Tennant was depression and bargaining, and now Smith has the 5th stage of acceptance and I LOVE that dynamic (thats just my theory though)

CaseyJones
Oct 4th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Absolutely great show! Changed a hell of a lot over the years. My first Doctor was John Pertwee, (feeling sooo old right about now!) although Tom Baker remains my favourite. One major change though, between the old 'wobbly set' episodes, and the 'regenerated' ones, would be character flaws. The Doctor always used to be totally in control. But it seems we now like our hero's to have character flaws. A dark side. They can let you down, which they never used to. Nowadays if the Doctor promises you that things will be fine, you're as likely to be dead in a few minutes. This has allowed storylines to get much darker. (Not necessarily a bad thing.)
Shame about the loss of Sarah-Jane though. Very sad when Elizabeth Sladen passed on. Mind you, Sarah-Jane spent more time in the Tardis than any other companion. If the producers wanted to carry on her childrens spin-off series, and if there was enough demand, do you suppose she might regenerate?

Pteranodon
Nov 3rd, 2011, 10:20 PM
(WARNING- longtime fan's long-winded ramblings ahead!)

The Doctor had character flaws in the old days- Jon Pertwee's incarnation admitted his "greed" for knowledge led him astray (Planet of the Spiders) and we found out from Tom Baker's Dr that he'd been a poor student on Gallifrey. And don't get me started on Colin Baker who actually exulted in his personality flaws- though I've really come to appreciate him in the Big Finish audio adventures...

But he never had baggage like he does in the new show- he's always been surrponded by death and bloodshed but now he blames himself for it (and he did cause the destruction of his own race) I really like Matt Smith's portrayal- the Doctor's a devious schemer like never before. He has to be cause this time he's up against enemies with a REALLY unfair advantage (the Silents)

This latest season finale was kind-of a letdown; they talked it up so much, that the Doctor would face his "darkest hours" and all this soul-wrenching stuff that really didn't happen. Plus the whole season started with the most intense, shocking scene I've EVER seen on Dr Who and there's really no way you can top that. Looking back from the finale it all makes sense- why he couldn't take his companions into his confidence etc. I really DON'T like this "secret" the Doctor knows cause that's how the old show ended, with some 'secret' they fabricated for Sylvester McCoy's Dr and then suddenly the show was cancelled....Until the 1996 TV Movie which was a huge disappointment. (I re-watched it yesterday and it was MUCH better than I remembered....)

So.....do the Headless Monks qualify as "zombies"?