PDA

View Full Version : He said she said

Grognaurd
Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:06 AM
I have enjoyed it when the cast has to tell what happened from their point of view. But, another cast member was in the same incident but remembers it differently.

We got a touch of it in about last night. Datu's Journal says, Burt said now all of you, go back to your room or something. Then Datu writes Angel said OK and closed the door. Angel, said well it was not exactly like that...

An example is an episode in the X-files where Mulder and Scully have to tell what happened when they went to investigate some bites on the necks of some cows and Mulder thinks its vampires.

Mulder describes the local sheriff as a locoyocal with buck teeth and not very bright. But, Scully keeps hitting on him....

Scully describes the sherrif as a handsome stranger that is super bright and hitting on her.

Blah Blah Blah

Mulder swears it is all true. Well, except for the teeth he says.

Rock Daddy
Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:43 AM
I agree - I think perspective plays a big role in recounting an event/character, and think it would be interesting if they cross-referenced the journals a some point. The difference of opinion would make the truth difficult to interpret.

Osiris
Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:45 AM
I agree - I think perspective plays a big role in recounting an event/character, and think it would be interesting if they cross-referenced the journals a some point. The difference of opinion would make the truth difficult to interpret.

Considering that the events of a recent episode, it may end up being easier for them to do that, and potentially see something about in a future episode.

Hellbringer
Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:30 AM
There was an episode of Leverage where all the characters recounted the events of one night and how they perceived what happened. The funniest part was everyone's interpretation of the voice of the British grifter. Imagine everyone's version of Pippen talking.

But yeah, this is a spectacular suggestion.

Banvillin
Jun 6th, 2011, 07:30 PM
It exactly the kind of opportunity that the journal framing-device allows for, without resorting to flashbacks or other tacky narration novelties. I've noticed that often KC chooses to skip over whenever characters recount events that we already witnessed, such as in this latest chapter when Datu explains the Pippin situation to Burt and Saul. This would imply to me that there is no significant difference of perspective and if that is what we expect, the obvious inclusion of a character's recollection of events previously described to the listener would draw attention to it.

I particularly would have liked to have heard Kelly's perspective on the interrogation of Pippin but if she was the shooter and/or the rat, we might still get to hear it as a confession (I doubt she would write down anything incriminating in her journal). The subjective nature an interrogation sets it up as a really good opportunity for holes in a story to be discreetly hidden for the listener to find later. In fact, the fabrication of Louis as the shooter will likely begin to crumble under examination like this by skeptical members of the tower, even those with the best intentions like Burt: "smells fishy if you ask me".

To KC's credit, he did apply this multiple perspective to the explosion of the arena: we heard it from Lizzie/Tar/Bricks, the Tower and Saul mentioned to Burt that they should check out the explosion while they waited at LAX. An event like that gives the unique opportunity of setting a point of reference in time and an indication of scale when we know it was seen far and wide in concurrent storylines that are not always in chronological order.

Great post and suggestion, LaMarche. I hope KC gets to read this and considers using it in Season 3

Banvillin

Grognaurd
Sep 10th, 2013, 11:54 AM
I still have hopes that something like this will happen in the great reveal that we have to have in this season. There are so many lose ends and misconceptions that we need to get everyone in the same room and put all the bullshit aside like Saul did with CJ to get the Kalani info