PDA

View Full Version : More Advertising?

wh33t
May 30th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Well, this is a first. Never in my life have I ever encouraged someone to place advertisements anywhere but ...

KC, For all the hard work you and your crew pull off time and time again I certainly hope you guys are fairing well financially. I realize the forums are getting quite popular and I wanted to suggest embedding some google advertising into the forum system. When I visit the forums I probably click 50 different pages, that could quite easily be a few cents of revenue for you guys, not much up front, but over the long run it could certainly help with server costs and what ever else expenses you guys have.

Now if you kept the Adverts to something small and clean, I know I personally wouldn't mind clicking a few advert links here and there to help you guys out. I'm sure many would agree.

Thanks for all the hardwork you guys do!

MrScott101
May 31st, 2011, 07:53 PM
But the forum looks so much better without a ton of ads cluttering up the place even if they are facebook sized.

but those who can afford to spare some money can easily make a donation and get cool forum perks for doing so:

http://zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?1043-Wanna-help-donate-to-We-re-alive-Want-cool-perks

kafu288
May 31st, 2011, 08:00 PM
doesn't matter what the forum looks like I'd rather they have the money to keep doing what they are doing.

wh33t
May 31st, 2011, 08:00 PM
But the forum looks so much better without a ton of ads cluttering up the place even if they are facebook sized.

but those who can afford to spare some money can easily make a donation and get cool forum perks for doing so:

http://zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?1043-Wanna-help-donate-to-We-re-alive-Want-cool-perks

The forums aren't really all that clean, not so clean that a few extra lines of text somewhere would make it horribly unusable. Not in my opinion at least. Google Ads are very clean and that's why I suggested it, I'm not talking about the big image banners, just the text ones.

nikvoodoo
May 31st, 2011, 08:27 PM
The forums aren't really all that clean, not so clean that a few extra lines of text somewhere would make it horribly unusable. Not in my opinion at least. Google Ads are very clean and that's why I suggested it, I'm not talking about the big image banners, just the text ones.

He didn't say clean. He said it looks better. And it does because there aren't little boxes of advertisements all over the top and bottom of every page you load. That's the "problem" with advertising is it interrupts the theme and flow of your site. I've used google ads in the past on blogs that I've maintained. But I've always hated what they've done to the look of my sites and eventually removed them.

I totally understand why google ads are awesome. But they tend to be one of two things: a complete eye sore and stick out way too much, or blended into the background so far that you don't notice them and thus defeats the purpose. And personally, the more google ads I see on a page, the quicker I navigate away. Viewing the content is not worth weeding through a sea of ads to me.

wh33t
May 31st, 2011, 08:29 PM
doesn't matter what the forum looks like I'd rather they have the money to keep doing what they are doing.

Totally agree with you man. The real meat of We're Alive is the audio drama! Let's ensure they either continue We're Alive smoothly until the end and maybe they will create ANOTHER audio drama after :D:D:D:D:D:D

He didn't say clean. He said it looks better. And it does because there aren't little boxes of advertisements all over the top and bottom of every page you load. That's the "problem" with advertising is it interrupts the theme and flow of your site. I've used google ads in the past on blogs that I've maintained. But I've always hated what they've done to the look of my sites and eventually removed them.

I totally understand why google ads are awesome. But they tend to be one of two things: a complete eye sore and stick out way too much, or blended into the background so far that you don't notice them and thus defeats the purpose. And personally, the more google ads I see on a page, the quicker I navigate away. Viewing the content is not worth weeding through a sea of ads to me.

Well I can't speak for everyone, but if the We're Alive forums were littered in ads (and I highly doubt they would need/want to put up that many) it wouldn't prevent me from showing my support and continuing to use the Forums.