PDA

View Full Version : We're Not Dead Episode 16

j0be
May 27th, 2011, 11:46 AM
This is that thread! (The episode is posted)

j0be
May 27th, 2011, 12:08 PM
I'm going to use this post to clarify some details for you:
Saul could NOT have been using the 3DS as the zombie apocalypse in We're Alive starts in May 2009. 3DS wasn't possible then.

Burt was using blasting caps (http://www.pebblecreekskiarea.com/Blog%20Images/caps.jpg). I'm not quite sure what method they would have used, because we hear the speaker when they turn on the walkie talkie. And he didn't wire it to the button of the target walkie, because then it wouldn't have worked remotely. I would love for Kc to chime in how he wired this up.

I might jump back in to clarify further.

Dameon1213
May 27th, 2011, 12:11 PM
greg was funny this episode, Ra1th: Mp5's are only considered SMG's but have the 3 shot setting of assault rifles. they are basically low caliber AR's

Adventureless_Hero
May 27th, 2011, 01:34 PM
"Disposable income"...asshole. (i'm sad now)

I totally agree with the theories mentioned by smallskenobi. I have been saying that Kelly had a change of heart over time and became a Tower member at heart. But with Pippin's arrival, her past would come to light. Unfortunately for my brain, I also agree with Dinodoeszombies (sorry if I misspelled your sn), I never really paid much attention to how kind Kelly has been with new people she's meeting. This is a stark contrast to the Kelly we knew in the beginning. Is she mind f-ing people now? Dude, she either had a change of heart or is ridiculously good at manipulating minds. I mean for all we know, maybe she wasn't drunk the night of the party.

I still back Britt on the notion that Bert is going to be the next major character to die.
Gregg...that "bread sticks coming out my mutha fuckin ears!" made me laugh so hard my coworkers were wondering why I was crying at my desk. I just repeated your line to them and they had no context to put it in. Good job sir.

All in all, this episode made say "awww" when it ended and I did a mental count of all the blind jokes I laughed at.

j0be
May 27th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Btw. I just want to make note that ComradeNarf has an awesome voice for radio/podcasting

Britt
May 27th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Btw. I just want to make note that ComradeNarf has an awesome voice for radio/podcasting

RIGHT?! I totally thought the same thing!

Pikepaw
May 27th, 2011, 03:13 PM
So I want to say for Greg's fanfic challenge...CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! I shall create this Riley/Scratch fic, but it shall not go the way anyone can predict, even me. MWHAHAHAHAHA!

Also Britt, if 24/26 of my plans fail, can I be cordially invited to your Cosco?

ComradeNarf
May 27th, 2011, 03:54 PM
RIGHT?! I totally thought the same thing!

Aw, thanks for the compliments j0be and Britt! And thank you Britt for playing my ad!
BTW, if you ever need an emergency guest on the podcast, lemme know. ;)

ilanagl
May 27th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I was cracking up this whole episode, blind jokes always make me laugh.

Creem_Filling
May 27th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I was mentioned! This is truly exciting for me. I showed my friends that celebrities said my internet name. I'm glad it made Greg laugh though.

riskbreaker23
May 28th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Great episode Brit and Greg! Cool having Raith on for some Angel lovin'. I am an Angel fan as well (and a Shane Salk fan). I'm not as crazy as Raith is... I prefer michael in charge. Angel is...

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jun 3rd, 2011, 11:25 AM
Ra1th is 19! woah!

Coolluck
Jun 3rd, 2011, 11:44 PM
I would just like to note my disappointment with the silencer, suppressor, whatever you want to call it. It was the typical silencer used in movies and stuff. While this is all well and good, apparently, it is not accurate. Silencers aren't as effective as we have been led to believe. Breaking Bad actually got the correct sound right from what I've read.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMUN5KqFHSo

nikvoodoo
Jun 4th, 2011, 12:22 AM
I would just like to note my disappointment with the silencer, suppressor, whatever you want to call it. It was the typical silencer used in movies and stuff. While this is all well and good, apparently, it is not accurate. Silencers aren't as effective as we have been led to believe. Breaking Bad actually got the correct sound right from what I've read.

You are correct. That suppressor SFX heard in in 22-1 is not accurate to real life. Mythbusters recently covered the difference between Movie Suppressor SFX vs. the Real Sound. They discovered that while not exactly similar, the suppressor cuts the decibel level of a .45 caliber pistol from 161 db down to 126 db. Their conclusion was the typical movie sound effect is "Plausible" to real life in terms of its ability to suppress the sound of a shot fired from a gun, but it wasn't spot on which is why they didn't confirm it. (http://mythbustersresults.com/blow-your-own-sail)

The video you posted sounds similar to the shots Adam and Jamie fired in the episode, though they were in a firing range so it's hard to tell because the sound heard on TV was so echo-y. But it certainly doesn't sound like the familiar high pitched woosh sound we're all accustomed to hearing. Depending on the stat set you want to look at, the suppressed shot's decibel level (126db) is either just at, or just below the threshold where permanent damage is done to your hearing even with brief exposure. That is most certainly not represented by the "woosh" movie sound.

I won't speak for Kc or any of his editors/sound designers, however the main reason to use the familiar sound is just that: it's familiar. Especially not being able to see the weapon in question, it behooves creators and designers of audio dramas to use the sound most closely associated to it in popular culture. You strive to tell a clear story and sometimes you need to cheat reality. Breaking Bad has the advantage of visuals to support their sound track. We in the audience can see the suppressor on the end of the gun and will excuse the lack of typical SFX because we can see the gun in action and there's not a question as to what's happening on screen.