PDA

View Full Version : New chatbox features

cPT.cAPSLOCK
May 26th, 2011, 05:17 PM
So I've been hanging out in the chatbox for a while today, and I've noticed something we might be able to improve.
I'm mostly looking at J0be for the implementation, but obviously everyone gets a vote on whether that'll be necessary in the first place.

Right now there are often several topics being discussed at the same time, and people use @<nickname> to adress messages to someone specific.

On DeviantART's chatboxes, there is a feature that highlights messages that contain with "<yourname>".

For example, "Hey there, cPT.cAPSLOCK" and "cPT.cAPSLOCK: Hey there" would both be highlighted.

Also, when typing the first few characters of someone's nickname, followed by a press on the 'TAB' key, it automatically adds the rest of the nickname followed by the ':' (if there are multiple hits, pressing tab cycles trough them).
After that you can add another name using the same shortcut ("<nameA>: <nameB>:") or type your message.

Maybe we could leverage a similar system?
Especially the automatic highlighting of messages directed at you, make the chatbox much easier to use when there are several ongoing conversations at the same time.

We could use @<nameA> @<nameB> <@name...> instead to stick with current habits.

Check out any of the chat rooms on http://chat.deviantart.com/ for an example (for those of you with an account - otherwise, registering is free, but don't feel obliged).

Thoughts?

TCM Revolver
May 26th, 2011, 05:43 PM
If it's possible, I love it!!

MrScott101
May 26th, 2011, 06:00 PM
that's a fantastic idea!!

j0be
May 26th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Looking at highlighting right now
Might be able to do the lookup, but that might require some work.

Also, I stopped use dA after getting banned 3 times for various reasons.

j0be
May 26th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Chatbox highlighting has been **sortof** implemented. Still doesn't look like what I want, but it's functional

cPT.cAPSLOCK
May 27th, 2011, 02:21 AM
My first guess would be hooking the lookup up with the currently active users box, below the full chatbox.
Depending on how that's built you might be able to tap into that.

I agree with you on the highlighting. Its visuals could use some work maybe, but it's a great improvement already.

Edit:
Just noted one glitch, which I'm listing just so that you're aware of it:
Gatekeeper's messages aren't readable anymore, if they're about the viewer.

For example, I just posted this message,
GateKeeper says "cPT.cAPSLOCK has just replied to 'New chatbox features', it detects my name and sets the background black behind that line.
Because of that, "Gatekeeper" seems to dissapear.

j0be
May 27th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Eesh. Didn't think about gatekeeper. I can detect who is posting and ignore gatekeeper.
Edit: gatekeeper has been fixed.

And I was actually looking at tapping into the function that is used when you private message.

j0be
May 27th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Frak. Doing this caused it to think there is a new message every time it checks if there are any messages that are highlighted. Grrr. Working on the fix.

Edit: Lot's of little quirks in that one. First, it did it all the time, then none of the time. Background notifications are now back to working properly.

j0be
May 27th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Added some awesome things this morning. Rock Daddy suggested an awesome way to get around the suggest that I really was dreading implementing. You can now click on a user in the chatbox and it will autofill their name into your text input after anything you have typed in there with an @ preceding it, and a space following. I retained the link to their profile so you can still visit it by right clicking their name and saying open in new tab / window, etc.

Also the style updated with arrows to help indicate yourself and others.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
May 28th, 2011, 04:19 AM
Great work as usual, code monkey!
Have a banana.