PDA

View Full Version : Season 2 Finale Streaming---

Kc
May 26th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Ok, so we're looking into releasing the season finale as one part. Now before you get all crazy, I'm looking to find a way to stream it LIVE and have some sort of live event attached to it. Like a listener party. Any suggestions of what would be a good way to do that technically? JustinTV wasn't great because it capped out and wasn't the best quality, but that is an option.

mascaria
May 26th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Now before you get all crazy, I'm looking to find a way to stream it LIVE

I just went crazy.

Also: http://www.ustream.tv/ ?

nikvoodoo
May 26th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I don't know what's involved in it nor do I know if you have the desire to have something that's visible available for this, but what about something like blogtalk radio? I know a few programs that have live radio shows over the airwaves who use blogtalk to do supplemental shows during the week. That might be something to look into.

MrScott101
May 26th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I haven't used it but it's worth a look http://www.upstream.tv

Otherwise I'd look into a flash application designed for the site to contain a live video stream and have the site host it right here.

Osiris
May 26th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Contact the good folks at S.I.R. (SModcast Internet Radio) and talk to them about the possibility of streaming it through them. I would think Kevin Smith would appreciate 'indie arts' enough to consider giving a slot up... since he's just rehashing the same old shit he's already done.

1. S.I.R.
2. Millions of Listeners.
3. ???
4. Profit.

Kc
May 26th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I don't know what's involved in it nor do I know if you have the desire to have something that's visible available for this, but what about something like blogtalk radio? I know a few programs that have live radio shows over the airwaves who use blogtalk to do supplemental shows during the week. That might be something to look into.
YES! Blogtalk Radio sounds great!!! Just what I was looking for. The premium service would be perfect AND it could be a call in show! We'll have to test it out prior to that to make sure it'll work, but I think it'd be great!

Kc
May 26th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Contact the good folks at S.I.R. (SModcast Internet Radio) and talk to them about the possibility of streaming it through them. I would think Kevin Smith would appreciate 'indie arts' enough to consider giving a slot up... since he's just rehashing the same old shit he's already done.

1. S.I.R.
2. Millions of Listeners.
3. ???
4. Profit.

That would be great! Should we form a letter here? Do they allow call-ins?

Osiris
May 26th, 2011, 09:04 AM
You can call into SIR. www.smodcast.com there's a boombox streaming some crap, probably Plus One Per Diem right now, and there's an 800 number I believe. There is also a link somewhere to send email to the programming director. I'd just call in and say 'Hey Kev... I have this idea...

Kc
May 26th, 2011, 09:07 AM
You can call into SIR. www.smodcast.com there's a boombox streaming some crap, probably Plus One Per Diem right now, and there's an 800 number I believe. There is also a link somewhere to send email to the programming director. I'd just call in and say 'Hey Kev... I have this idea...
Do any fans want to call in? The season finale will be an hour long... Might be better if a fan does it-

Osiris
May 26th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Do any fans want to call in? The season finale will be an hour long... Might be better if a fan does it-

Might be best if the creator calls in with the ability to give actual details other than 'hey it'd be great if yous guys streamed my favourite show ZOMG!' Would lend more credibility.

Just tell them 'Look, we've already broken the 4 million downloads mark and we're trying everything we can to get our art out there... you're a relatively new medium (Love Plus One by the way, the fishies have no eyes was awesome), we've been running our show since (insert date) and I think it would be beneficial for our cause and potentially expose your show to new listeners in the process. I thank you for your time and consideration in this matter and I'm hoping you might be able to help us... I have money if that helps.'

He's been all about 'indie 2.0... new mediums... art is art and I'm all about helping out the little guy.' He's stated that he's getting out of film and into 'radio'. This should be right up his alley... unless he's full of shit. Which is possible.

COsurvivor
May 26th, 2011, 09:13 AM
i would be interested, but now that i think about it... I want to listen to the finale and not talk about something previously... You understand how most people would hate having ppl talk over parts of such a powerful finale?

Osiris
May 26th, 2011, 09:15 AM
The best part about streaming it is that it becomes an event. Everyone is listening at the same time, we're all there, we're all hearing it together for the first time. It becomes meaningful. It becomes special. Something shared among the fans.

It's a bonding moment. 'Where were YOU when season two ended?'

COsurvivor
May 26th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Not sure i want to share anything with Satan...

Kc
May 26th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Might be best if the creator calls in with the ability to give actual details other than 'hey it'd be great if yous guys streamed my favourite show ZOMG!' Would lend more credibility.

Just tell them 'Look, we've already broken the 4 million downloads mark and we're trying everything we can to get our art out there... you're a relatively new medium (Love Plus One by the way, the fishies have no eyes was awesome), we've been running our show since (insert date) and I think it would be beneficial for our cause and potentially expose your show to new listeners in the process. I thank you for your time and consideration in this matter and I'm hoping you might be able to help us... I have money if that helps.'

He's been all about 'indie 2.0... new mediums... art is art and I'm all about helping out the little guy.' He's stated that he's getting out of film and into 'radio'. This should be right up his alley... unless he's full of shit. Which is possible.
I'll give it a shot, I don't have high hopes. The more I listen to the station, the more I'm not sure if it'll be us, but we'll see.

Osiris
May 26th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I'll give it a shot, I don't have high hopes. The more I listen to the station, the more I'm not sure if it'll be us, but we'll see.

It's a new show, seems like they're still developing their format. It seems to be talk drive (it IS talk driven) but that said, the possibility is always there. The worst that could happen is they say no. Or you may get lucky and they give you a shout out. Perhaps Kevin may listen to the show. Which reminds me... perhaps The Nerdist may be interested in giving the show a listen. Ways to get advertising without advertising... the more podcasters that hear the show, the more likely they are to talk about it... let's face it... Kevin Smith will talk about ANYTHING.

Kc
May 26th, 2011, 09:32 AM
It's a new show, seems like they're still developing their format. It seems to be talk drive (it IS talk driven) but that said, the possibility is always there. The worst that could happen is they say no. Or you may get lucky and they give you a shout out. Perhaps Kevin may listen to the show. Which reminds me... perhaps The Nerdist may be interested in giving the show a listen. Ways to get advertising without advertising... the more podcasters that hear the show, the more likely they are to talk about it... let's face it... Kevin Smith will talk about ANYTHING.
Yeah, I've been in talks with Chris many times and he doesn't seem interested. He did help setup the meltdown live performance, which was great. Beyond that, not so much.

Nevermatter
May 26th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Calling into the show may get tough, but Kevin Smith is an avid Tweet reader. Even reading many tweets on the show. Any one have a twitter acct?
I am a big fan of the Smodcast network and totally agree that if you can get that guy into your product(and this product is right up his alley) then he will be talking about it a lot.

Osiris
May 26th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I've been in talks with Chris many times and he doesn't seem interested. He did help setup the meltdown live performance, which was great. Beyond that, not so much.

Well you've got my support, for what it's worth. I DID buy season 1 though! (waiting patiently at my door for the fedex woman.

Osiris
May 26th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Calling into the show may get tough, but Kevin Smith is an avid Tweet reader. Even reading many tweets on the show. Any one have a twitter acct?
I am a big fan of the Smodcast network and totally agree that if you can get that guy into your product(and this product is right up his alley) then he will be talking about it a lot.

True story. The guy talks A LOT.

Nevermatter
May 26th, 2011, 09:40 AM
True story. The guy talks A LOT.

Very true. Ever here of the Howard Stern Bump? Smith is basically a human megaphone for things he likes. And a LOT of people listen. Next stop is to get Oprah into it... Get to work KC! lol

j0be
May 26th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Very true. Ever here of the Howard Stern Bump? Smith is basically a human megaphone for things he likes. And a LOT of people listen. Next stop is to get Oprah into it... Get to work KC! lol

You kind of missed the Oprah train. :D

itsallgoodie
May 26th, 2011, 12:34 PM
I would call in...if i can think of anything to say.

WestonWisdom
May 26th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I think I speak for everyone when I say this is my reaction to this news.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhpu3rrOkp1qhxr17o1_250.gif

AdrianHD
May 26th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I suggest http://ustream.tv

If you get a program like CamTwist you can play whatever audio is playing on your computer monitor at the time. You can also make a Skype account and have listeners call in from there. I know a few people (and have participated in) some of these. For the most part, they work out well.

MrScott101
May 26th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I actually agree quite a bit with Satan, Calling Kevin Smith directly would have a way better result than a fan calling. Kevin is really into indie self produced stuff and if he listens to an episode or two I'm sure he'd dig it a lot!

Creem_Filling
May 28th, 2011, 12:13 AM

Dude, I love Oprah. I know it's weird a 17 year old boy loving Oprah, but I do. I watch (or rather watched) it with my mom all the time.

Don Man
May 28th, 2011, 01:22 PM
the live stream isnt fair for fans in other timezones. Id prefer it to be normal :)

cPT.cAPSLOCK
May 28th, 2011, 02:41 PM
the live stream isnt fair for fans in other timezones. Id prefer it to be normal :)

Think of it this way: It's a bonus for those who *are* able to attend.
Ofcourse it'll be released trough all regular channels also.

Don Man
May 28th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Think of it this way: It's a bonus for those who *are* able to attend.
Ofcourse it'll be released trough all regular channels also.

well your right and depending on the date I could watch the live stream

COsurvivor
May 28th, 2011, 04:07 PM
This idea has PROs and CONs... We all do or did love the live reading the first go around, (albeit with some glitches)

Creem_Filling
May 28th, 2011, 04:18 PM

Then I would suggest staying up as late as it takes. I trust that your enough a fan that it would be worth it. I've lost sleep on school nights to play new video games on release nights, and I've never regretted it.

cupcakezombie
May 28th, 2011, 04:26 PM

If it can be moved to the moved to the weekend rather then Monday, that gives more chances for everyone to listen (not that it has to because this is an awesome idea KC, I will do my best to be able to listen).

ilanagl
May 28th, 2011, 08:09 PM
you cant announce big news like that and not expect us to freak out. Also will it be on a week end?

vattenflaska
May 30th, 2011, 05:29 PM

Heck yes, I have to agree here

Creem_Filling
May 31st, 2011, 07:35 AM
KC, don't let them discourage this fantastic idea! I didn't whine that it's unfair that Portal 2 came out at midnight on a school night and that I would have to stay up all night playing. And that was an awesome idea because it was worth it in the end. If you people are truly fans you'll just try to enjoy this experience that he is offering. Or at least not be asshats and try to take it away from the rest of his who are willing to attend.

Kc
May 31st, 2011, 08:24 AM
If we stream it at 10 AM on a saturday, more people would be able to listen. We would still release the finale on the podcast stream most likely at the same time too, if not RIGHT after.

Don Man
May 31st, 2011, 12:36 PM
If we stream it at 10 AM on a saturday, more people would be able to listen. We would still release the finale on the podcast stream most likely at the same time too, if not RIGHT after.

thats sounds good that makes it 6pm in the UK and 7pm in other European countries but making it later is ok. Creem_filling is right im a die hard fan i Stayed up till 2am to watch the live reading

Creem_Filling
May 31st, 2011, 12:43 PM
thats sounds good that makes it 6pm in the UK and 7pm in other European countries but making it later is ok. Creem_filling is right im a die hard fan i Stayed up till 2am to watch the live reading

I wasn't a fan at the time of the Live Reading. I wish I was though. But I'm glad I can make this thing, I don't really care when it its.

StepLaugh
May 31st, 2011, 02:41 PM

That sounds like a GREAT plan to me.

kafu288
Jun 1st, 2011, 02:10 AM

Awesome it will be 3am Sunday here! FMTZ (Fuck My Time Zone)

mascaria
Jun 1st, 2011, 04:54 AM
The upside of 3am Sunday morning is that you've got the rest of Sunday to make up for lost sleep!!

kafu288
Jun 3rd, 2011, 04:12 AM
no I have to work Sundays

cupcakezombie
Jun 3rd, 2011, 04:28 AM
KC, don't let them discourage this fantastic idea! I didn't whine that it's unfair that Portal 2 came out at midnight on a school night and that I would have to stay up all night playing. And that was an awesome idea because it was worth it in the end. If you people are truly fans you'll just try to enjoy this experience that he is offering. Or at least not be asshats and try to take it away from the rest of his who are willing to attend.

It wasn't having to get up late that was worrying me, it was if it was going to stream while I was at work. Then I really couldn't be there. It is that we want to be there and share it with you all. :)
But the time from KC makes it 5 am Sun for me. I will be there.

kafu288
Jun 3rd, 2011, 04:40 AM

People expressing concerns because they might miss out on something awesome doesn't make them asshats. There are things like work (you really think its reasonable to expect me to stay up till 3am when I have to work on Sundays?) and such that might mean those people can't. No need to get worked up people aren't being "asshats". There's really no need to start calling people that. Just chill.

smalls kenobi
Jun 4th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I vote ustream, that way if I can't make it to a computer I can still watch it on my phone. :)

Survivor
Jun 5th, 2011, 06:44 PM
youtube or skype.
youtube has live option.
Radio using the channels you mentioned in the "WA"?
anyway what's good for international?

beesting
Jun 20th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I know I'm super spoiled because we live in the next town over from Kc, but a weekend release would be awesome. I think my husband might tear up if it was during a work day, as there's no way for him to listen to a live stream from work. Plus, our 8 year old would be super sad if he missed it. That way I can make sure he's at home and we stream it to the TV and have a nice family zombie moment!

ClearSights
Jun 20th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Will the hour long chapter then be put up on like itunes or some place for download short after? Or is it like we have to listen to the stream or not be able to hear the chapter for a bit afterwards?

Laura
Jun 20th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I don't care what Kc decides to do or how or when it happens. I just can't wait for the finale in general, and I think that's how most of us feel.

StepLaugh
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I agree, especially after this episode, I'm pretty excited!

GD_Elite
Jul 27th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Okay, I'm confused. The ... countdown is going to noon on friday here in the UK, which i believe is 4AM PST on friday. I assumed that was meant to be counting down to the season finale. Is it counting down to something else, or has the time of the finale changed?

ClearSights
Jul 27th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Grrrr. I just accepted working this weekend at 5am on saturday and sunday......