PDA

View Full Version : Fox Fall Lineup - and why I'm disappointed

j0be
May 17th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Fox announced its fall lineup yesterday (see trailers here (http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/16/fox-fall-schedule/)). My biggest disappointment? Locke & Key didn't make it. Grr... It wouldn't be so bad if there weren't such bad choices in the accepted lineup. EG: Napoleon Dynamite. I don't know if you like Napoleon Dynamite, but I was in the camp that thought the movie was awful. And seriously? Alan Gregory? One season before it gets canceled. Bleh. </rant>

mem
May 17th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Fox announced its fall lineup yesterday (see trailers here (http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/16/fox-fall-schedule/)). My biggest disappointment? Locke & Key didn't make it. Grr... It wouldn't be so bad if there weren't such bad choices in the accepted lineup. EG: Napoleon Dynamite. I don't know if you like Napoleon Dynamite, but I was in the camp that thought the movie was awful. And seriously? Alan Gregory? One season before it gets canceled. Bleh. </rant>

after they cancelled the good guys, i lost all my love for fox and their television intellect.

Boomstick
May 17th, 2011, 08:40 AM
they need to bring back 24. that is my 2 cents. that was pretty much the only show i watched on fox.

Meeks
May 17th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I guess I'll lay out my 2cents on each:

Alcatraz - Looks promising. Story seems a bit too Fringe for me, but only time will tell.
Allen Gregory - Eh.. the guy who does the main character's voice sounds familiar.. but eh..I smell a flop.
I Hate My Teenage Daughter - Pass
Napoleon Dynamite - Way past its prime, no thanks.
New Girl - No thanks, generic subject.
Terra Nova - DO WANT
The Finder - Meh.

nikvoodoo
May 17th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Remember that Family Guy joke that preceded them coming back on the air? (http://video.adultswim.com/family-guy/weve-been-cancelled.html)

There were some half way decent shows that Fox has cancelled in the past that I got pissed about (see: Titus) and I am really really pissed off about Lie to Me. But you could see the writing on the wall. Fox has proven over and over again they would rather experiment and hope to find a hit vs. sticking with a show that has a fan base. It's the reason they've always been at or near the bottom of the heap out of the four networks.

Remember as pointed out above: this is the network that cancelled Family Guy and were forced to admit their mistake when Cartoon Network made a boat load of money by airing old episodes. I always got the impression that when it came to cancelling and green lighting their projects it involved knives, a blindfold, and a wheel with a lady tied to it.

Nevermatter
May 17th, 2011, 10:39 AM
As long as they keep Raising Hope on its all good.

Tandem25
May 17th, 2011, 11:14 AM
All of the Networks still rely WAY too much on Nielsen ratings and don't take into account the numbers from sites like Hulu or views of episodes on their own sites. It's an antiquated system and because of it good shows are cancelled. As to what makes them air a show like Napoleon Dynamite, well I'm with Nik on the knife wielding blindfolded network exec.
There are a few instances of internet campaigns to save shows that worked (see: Chuck) but for the most part, if they think they can take the Nielsen numbers to the ad execs and get the most green then that is what is going to happen.
BTW, Does anyone here know a Nielen family? I don't.

Nevermatter
May 17th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I totally agree. The neilson rating system is way past its usefulness in dictating viewership, if it ever was useful to begin with. I also do not know anyone using the system but I have more friends than I can count that use Netflix and Hulu as there main source of TV entertainment, myself included. I cannot wait for the day when Television shows no longer have an "air date" but rather just a release date in which they are released across Netflix, Hulu, Apple store, On demand, etc.

smalls kenobi
May 17th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Ever since FOX got rid of Terminator:TSCC I've stopped getting into Primetime Shows. but THANK ALAH for TNT bringing Back Southland, that's an awesome show.
but yeah, because The 4400 and T:TSCC were canceled i wont be watching Terra Nova Religiously. i cant stand the heart break, haha :P

Luna Guardian
May 17th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I always got the impression that when it came to cancelling and green lighting their projects it involved knives, a blindfold, and a wheel with a lady tied to it.
That suddenly makes the cancelling of Firefly make a lot more sense...

nikvoodoo
May 17th, 2011, 01:49 PM

I know, doesn't it??!! Bastards.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
May 17th, 2011, 01:56 PM
All of the Networks still rely WAY too much on Nielsen ratings and don't take into account the numbers from sites like Hulu or views of episodes on their own sites. It's an antiquated system and because of it good shows are cancelled. As to what makes them air a show like Napoleon Dynamite, well I'm with Nik on the knife wielding blindfolded network exec.
There are a few instances of internet campaigns to save shows that worked (see: Chuck) but for the most part, if they think they can take the Nielsen numbers to the ad execs and get the most green then that is what is going to happen.
BTW, Does anyone here know a Nielen family? I don't.

I've lived in a good number of states and countries and i've meet a ton of people in my career and I have yet to meet a "Neilsen" family. I think they're fake. While i'm ranting.. NBC bring back "The Event" dammit!!

janet963
Jun 1st, 2011, 02:48 AM
FOX is really a great tv channel, It always used to give me the best series, which I love to see all the times.

mascaria
Jun 1st, 2011, 04:04 AM
I'm kind of disappointed by a lot of the new shows coming on in the fall, in fact some of them are really shocking that they'd get put on.

j0be
Jun 1st, 2011, 06:51 AM

That, and the fact that the episodes were aired OUT OF ORDER.
What the hell, fox? What the hell?

mascaria
Jun 1st, 2011, 11:57 AM
Fox has a terrible track record with Sci-Fi. It's like they don't really understand how to handle the shows.

fraggot
Jun 1st, 2011, 06:22 PM
They cancelled Lie To Me, I'm done with FOX.

j0be
Jun 1st, 2011, 07:21 PM
I know. I was pissed because it was a show that didn't treat it's viewers like idiots

mem
Jun 4th, 2011, 07:58 AM
New on Fox
Sitcom - 2 guys hitting each other with sticks
Reality - Catch it on fire and stick it _____
Drama - I am like sad and feel bad
News - Oh F*** something bad happened and we will tell you about it over and over because you are too dumb too retain anything
Sports - Run for the Commodoties