PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Bay Remnants (Mallers), The Colony, Slaves, and What do YOU Think?

HorrorHiro
May 16th, 2011, 02:12 PM
My original post concerning why I think the Mallers have "slaves" was

I feel like the Mallers have found many survivors wich would contribute to the theory about their territory, and possibly why they have slaves. Think about it 1 to many new Mallers not enough guns and ammo for everyone to have a weapon the people who don't have weapons are getting restless instead of just killing them or turning them away Durai decides to make them Forced Laborers and most likely sex slaves...I don't think every survivor they find instantly becomes a slave but I also think that the process of choosing which of the new survivors become slaves and who becomes a "Maller" is all that complicated. I wouldn't be surprised if they were going by the 'Eeny, meeny, miny, moe' system to be honest. My backup for this theory is that there is a female "Maller" other than Scratch, in part 2 of chapter 21 When the Scratch's convoy makes the last stop before the Arena Shes introduced talking about "Sam" being ripped out of his seat during the ambush. She remains nameless but his is still important.)

To clarify I haven't planted my flag in the sex slave theory yet, but it is entirely possible that the male survivors they find are the laborers and the females they find are used for pleasure...or both. My reason for bringing this up but not investing in it is simple, I think Durai has far to much respect for women to designate them sex slaves. I don't really have any support for this spin-off theory other than Scratch freeing him and being 2nd in command, the other female Maller, and possibly another female influence we/I don't know of as of yet. We don't know much about this guy but I doubt he would do something like that, for what ever reason.

On the other hand that entirely sounds like something Marcus or Gatekeeper would do at the Colony. From the small time frame we have had to get to know this "Gatekeeper" he sounds like a very strategic person. It wouldn't surprise me at all if ever since his hostile takeover and the loss of the Colony's armed personells ammo supply, if the moral of Gatekeepers men was significantly low and he authorised the raping of the civilians.

But enough about me what do YOU think?

mascaria
May 16th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I think that maybe you're thinking about this too much.

Allow me to expound on this so that I'm not just commenting uselessly.

You're right that we have no proof that Durai has any respect for women. Yes, Scratch obviously holds some sort of position under him but we don't know what the terms are or if there's other women involved. We have no idea what Durai's leadership is like.

The same can be said for Gatekeeper. We have no proof that he would be a horrible leader that allows for people to be slaves of any sort. Yes, Gatekeeper was made out to be the bad bad guy but Marcus was a bad guy too and Gatekeeper brought him down. We have no idea what Gatekeeper's leadership would have been like. Maybe he was tired of being kept like rats the way that Marcus was and that he was going to bring more freedoms to the Colony? We have no idea.

Also there's no proof what so ever that Marcus allowed for the rape of his workers. After all Kelly and Pegs weren't raped while they were in the colony. We would have heard about it if they were.

HorrorHiro
May 16th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I don't believe in thinking about something too much...and this is all speculation, the information we have up to this point, what we can assume, and generally how you/I react to what we know so far.

Also there's no proof what so ever that Marcus allowed for the rape of his workers. After all Kelly and Pegs weren't raped while they were in the colony. We would have heard about it if they were.

I never said it has, was, or ever will happen. Its just what I wouldn't be surprised to find out! Not what I think has happened. This also involves how you see characters, alone or in contrast to someone or something else.

From the small time frame we have had to get to know this "Gatekeeper" he sounds like a very strategic person. It wouldn't surprise me at all if ever since his hostile takeover and the loss of the Colony's armed personells ammo supply, if the moral of Gatekeepers men was significantly low and he authorised the raping of the civilians.

I don't think you can discount the strategic part of how I see Gatekeeper that easily. After all he did form a successful coup and takeover the colony, of course it wasn't just him but he was at the head of this coup, enough said. And I wasn't trying to make him be out to be a horrible leader or bad guy of any kind, I'm not trying to play down rape and slavery like they don't matter. I just think that after everything that happened after the escape from the Colony moral would be on Gatekeepers top priority.

Out of curiosity what makes you believe that Gatekeeper wouldn't just act as a place holder for the now (assumed to be) dead Marcus? Remember he did cover up the takeover and he even made Marcus's body look like it had been attacked by a zombie...maybe its just me but those don't sound like characteristics of someone who wants more freedoms and equalities for the Colony's residents. But hey I could be completely wrong and you could be completely right, this goes back to the whole how you view characters thing.

StickUpKid
Jun 21st, 2011, 09:06 PM
Maybe the mallers are lazy