PDA

View Full Version : Help with Facebook App! [FIXED]

Kc
May 12th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Hey I added a Facebook app on our WA page for the forum. Coool huh? Well I think I need some help.
Check it out:
http://www.facebook.com/zombiepodcast?sk=app_191682980878510

The PHP it goes to is here:
http://zombiepodcast.com/myapp/testapp.php

Anyone want to help program this thing to make it work better? Also, I noticed the Wiki button no longer goes to the wiki. Can we fix that? We might even be able to develop a Wiki App for the facebook page? What do you say? What a way to commemorate the Facebook day?!

Creem_Filling
May 12th, 2011, 04:55 PM
This is cool! I spend my nights going back and forth between Facebook and these forums, now I don't have to!

nikvoodoo
May 12th, 2011, 04:58 PM
one thing I noticed right away is I went to the app and came back to the forum it trumped my preferred style and switched the forum to the mobile version.

I would love to help other than be a critic, but I think we've all learned the hard way that I can't program my way out of a paper bag. I think it's a kick ass addition to the facebook page though!

Zombiehead
May 12th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Yes, I just discovered voodoo's problems. I clicked the mobile app links on my PC and now it's taken over!

Kc
May 12th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Yes, I just discovered voodoo's problems. I clicked the mobile app links on my PC and now it's taken over!
There's a button at the bottom of the page that you can click to go back to default.

MrScott101
May 12th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I'll try and take a look tomorrow after running errands. I have a half day at work but it's date night with the wife and then I gotta work on some more recording this weekend.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
May 13th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Do you mean the wiki button at the bottom of the mobile style, in the embedded php?
If so, it behaves exactly as it always has. It brings you to the 'forum part' of the wiki, showing each article as a separate thread basically.

It's the same as on the full site, in fact. Below all other categories, click on Wiki. Tad-dah, it shows you the same (though in a the full style).
The button bringing you to the Wiki's mainpage (the button at the top of the full site) is not included on the mobile version.

Also, the problem with the style switching to default probably has to do with the automatic detection of mobile devices and full computers. Because you force it into mobile for the app, it will save that setting in a cookie which in turn will be read by your browser when on the full site.

Kc
May 13th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Do you mean the wiki button at the bottom of the mobile style, in the embedded php?
If so, it behaves exactly as it always has. It brings you to the 'forum part' of the wiki, showing each article as a separate thread basically.

It's the same as on the full site, in fact. Below all other categories, click on Wiki. Tad-dah, it shows you the same (though in a the full style).
The button bringing you to the Wiki's mainpage (the button at the top of the full site) is not included on the mobile version.

Also, the problem with the style switching to default probably has to do with the automatic detection of mobile devices and full computers. Because you force it into mobile for the app, it will save that setting in a cookie which in turn will be read by your browser when on the full site.

Any idea how to make it not save a cookie style choice for that PHP iframe?

j0be
May 13th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Whelp. I'll help out, especially since PHP is my favorite language. However, the problem you're going to run into is actually the forum. Basically, the real work isn't going to be the PHP, but actually modifying the primary stylesheet to support that tiny of a window so we don't have to set their forum style.

j0be
May 13th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Any idea how to make it not save a cookie style choice for that PHP iframe?

The problem with that is that if you don't set the cookie, it will redirect to the normal style EACH page transition... I think right course of action is to make the primary style more accessible.

Kc
May 16th, 2011, 11:14 AM
The problem with that is that if you don't set the cookie, it will redirect to the normal style EACH page transition... I think right course of action is to make the primary style more accessible.
Do you want to download the PHP file and try it out? Or I can make you an admin for the app on facebook!

j0be
May 16th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Well, your Php script looks to be just a simple iframe. And both would work. Just email the .php file. I won't mess with anything. Just look first.

j0be
May 16th, 2011, 08:02 PM
We are all updated and ready to go. All that we're waiting on is for KC to update the backend. Here's what it will look like (http://www.ronaldtroyer.com/misc/testapp.html). And it won't reset your forum style.

Here is where the application will be on facebook (http://www.facebook.com/zombiepodcast?sk=app_191682980878510) (Will reset your stylesheet, until it is updated. To return click 'return to default style' at the bottom of the page).

For any techies who want a greater explanation, I have a javascript check that is checking whether the forum is running inside an iframe, and if so, it adds a bunch of style revisions to the main style sheet

Kc
May 17th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Awesome! It's in place and rocking and rolling-