PDA

View Full Version : iPhone or Droid??

TCM Revolver
May 3rd, 2011, 02:36 PM
Here's the skinny, I am switching to Verizion from ATT. Decided to finally catch up to the rest of the world and get a smart phone. But I can't decided whether to get an iPhone or Droid. I've been reading reviews online and it kinda seems a toss up. I'd love to hear your pros v. cons of each phone along with your opinion. Thanks

--Revolver

nikvoodoo
May 3rd, 2011, 02:39 PM
Having the droid x, I can tell you I am starting to dislike it greatly. The Droid OS is clunky at best and sometimes gets barely usable. If you are a mac user, the iPhone is the way to go for integration to your life.

That being said, it's truly up to you. However I will say that If I could do it right now, I'd switch to the iphone in a heartbeat. But verizon continually screws up my account and I can't upgrade for another 17 months despite having owned this phone for nearly a year.

Traverser
May 3rd, 2011, 02:42 PM
iPhone has a lot more apps, and in my opinion higher quality ones at that. However either one, Apple or Android are great smart phones so it really comes down to what your looking for it. Internet works good on both, calls are about the same and both have Angry Birds lol. I myself have an iPhone and wouldnt own any other smart phone, but my friends swear by Android. Best advice, go play with them at the store

Kc
May 3rd, 2011, 02:53 PM
I've used and played with both, Android is a fractured OS and the developers can't seem to get the applications right on every single variant of phone. Developers really are the ones who have to suffer through all the different kinds of phones. People bag on the iPhone, but the operating system and applications make it what it is, which is a hell of a phone. Part of the reason we're making an App for iPhone first and not android.

Boomstick
May 3rd, 2011, 02:56 PM
I've got an easy answer. If you already have apple products then get an iphone, if you don't get a droid. Apple products don't play nice with non-apple products, for the most part. And Especially if you have a mac book, get an iphone. I would recommend the Droid X, that is what I have and I have no complaints. HTC EVO is another good Droid phone. But again to answer your question, if you already have apple products, especially a mac book, then I would go with Iphone. If not get a droid. But truthfully, either one is a good choice. You need to go to Verizon and play with both.

cycogod
May 3rd, 2011, 04:03 PM
Jitterbug...done!

WestonWisdom
May 3rd, 2011, 04:11 PM
I have an Iphone 4 and love it, occasionally it will freak out and grind to a halt, but that rarely happens, and like those above have already mentioned, the Apps really make it superior in my opinion.

nikvoodoo
May 3rd, 2011, 04:55 PM
Just to throw in my two cents as a user of both os's: the apps on android and iOS are for all intents and purposes are identical. Most major apps have a droid and iOS version and they function well over both platforms. The app store has been around longer so it has a leg up, but droid is catching up and some apps are better (or cost less) in the marketplace.

Sir Bob Cornelius Rifo
May 3rd, 2011, 05:06 PM
i have iphone and love it, my lil bro has an android phone and loves it but does complain a lot about it freezing and the os looks like a Malaysian knock off of the iphone's

one thing i am jealous about is that android has flash in the web browser

cycogod
May 3rd, 2011, 05:07 PM
but what about easy to use buttons and lifealert? Jitterbug it's a new sexyness

Ra1th
May 3rd, 2011, 06:26 PM
I have the iphone 4, and my dad has the droid x. I'm no apple fan boy. Usually their stuff is really pricey but you get really quality stuff, but with phones the droid and the iphone are the same price. The iphone 4 is outdated from a hardware perspective, the new phones coming out have dual cores, like the atrix and the thunderbolt, the industry standard is now 8 mega pixel cameras and the iphone only has 5, most of the new smart phones coming out have 4 inch screens or better, the iphone has a 3.5 inch one. But from a software point of view, the iphone is still unbeatable. The user interface is really nice, the camera is still better than the droid x,

Overall the iphone is really nice, but keep in mind, the iphone 5 is on its way. It might come out in june or it might come out in october, either way the iphone 4's time is coming to an end. The upside though, is that rumors say the iphone 5 is not going to be a total technical overhaul from the iphone 4. It'll be like what the 3gs did to the iphone 3g. It's supposed to get a bigger screen and a better camera, or so I hear.

I guess the question is do you want to customize your phone? cause if you do the droid is unbeatable, you can do whatever you want with that phone and no one will care. If you go iphone you have to play apple's game, which kinda sucks, but then again, I don't really do anything that apple doesnt let me do so I guess it works for me.

also if you get the iphone you get a dope 40 dollar pair of headphones for free (pretty much the only reason i took the iphone over the droid x)

j0be
May 3rd, 2011, 06:34 PM
Plain and simple
If you feel like being a power user, get android. If you feel like it working great without you having to tweak it a lot, keep it simple and smooth, get iPhone.

I love my android, but that's because I tweaked the hell out of it. Seriously, I've even modified my boot loader.

TCM Revolver
May 3rd, 2011, 07:07 PM
I have the iphone 4, and my dad has the droid x. I'm no apple fan boy. Usually their stuff is really pricey but you get really quality stuff, but with phones the droid and the iphone are the same price. The iphone 4 is outdated from a hardware perspective, the new phones coming out have dual cores, like the atrix and the thunderbolt, the industry standard is now 8 mega pixel cameras and the iphone only has 5, most of the new smart phones coming out have 4 inch screens or better, the iphone has a 3.5 inch one. But from a software point of view, the iphone is still unbeatable. The user interface is really nice, the camera is still better than the droid x,

Overall the iphone is really nice, but keep in mind, the iphone 5 is on its way. It might come out in june or it might come out in october, either way the iphone 4's time is coming to an end. The upside though, is that rumors say the iphone 5 is not going to be a total technical overhaul from the iphone 4. It'll be like what the 3gs did to the iphone 3g. It's supposed to get a bigger screen and a better camera, or so I hear.

I guess the question is do you want to customize your phone? cause if you do the droid is unbeatable, you can do whatever you want with that phone and no one will care. If you go iphone you have to play apple's game, which kinda sucks, but then again, I don't really do anything that apple doesnt let me do so I guess it works for me.

also if you get the iphone you get a dope 40 dollar pair of headphones for free (pretty much the only reason i took the iphone over the droid x)

What do you mean by customize?? Like I can't change my background picture? or what?

fraggot
May 3rd, 2011, 07:09 PM
I'd recommend the iPhone, I've owned one since the original iPhone with metal backing. I now own a Black iPhone 4 32GB model and love it, to me it's great in all areas. Some people say "It's good for the apps" but I find that statement to be false. The apps are good because of the great hardware and OS running on it. Don't buy a phone simply cause it has 5098982349823498 applications to put on it, 20,000 fart apps are still just a fart app.

Buy it for it's quality, only for that reason. It has a great camera for a phone and many applications that can do amazing things because of it. It's very fast, and I can really say that cause I upgraded it from the 3g(I owned the 3GS for maybe a month before trading it in for the iPhone 4).

I recommend it, but I also probably am bias towards it because I've owned one since day 1. I also used to have a Mac Mini and I work on an iMac everyday at work. But from all of this I've come to learn, Apple makes quality products that last. Just remember one thing though so you don't become an uninformed moron screaming over something not working. Apple has and will phase out there products as far as support goes after a couple of years, the 3G is no longer updated and the 3Gs is soon to follow based on rumors of the iOS 5 only running on the iPhone 4 and recent iPads/iPods.

So in short, buy an iPhone, you won't regret it.

Ra1th
May 3rd, 2011, 07:15 PM
What do you mean by customize?? Like I can't change my background picture? or what?

By customization I mean widgets. The iphone backgrounds are set, you can put in different pictures as your background, but you cant change widgets size, and stuff like that.

here this is a much better explanation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yexYJDzUKng

more than everything you may ever need to know hahaha

fraggot
May 3rd, 2011, 07:22 PM
An iPhone can always be jailbroken to add all those goofy widgets and things. Mine is but I still keep it simple and just use it to add things that are practical.

cycogod
May 3rd, 2011, 07:53 PM
Plain and simple
If you feel like being a power user, get android. If you feel like it working great without you having to tweak it a lot, keep it simple and smooth, get iPhone.

I love my android, but that's because I tweaked the hell out of it. Seriously, I've even modified my boot loader.

Modded boot loader? that is serious. What did u mod it with. I'm running cyanogenmod 7 on droid 1. Gonna update soon.

fraggot
May 4th, 2011, 01:09 AM
I've modded my iPhones bootloader and been able to run Android on it, although it runs like shit.

Walrusgus
May 4th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Pretty much I find Android easier to run and use as a phone, and it has some cool features available my favourite being Swype for texting. The downside with it though is while it runs well as a phone, phones are also MUST have good, usable apps. There are good ones like google maps and youtube, but they're all available on iPhone as well.

That's what makes the iPhone so good. While people bag it all the time, there are amazing apps you can download to pretty much make your own phone. While Android has apps that are really good and add to the overall package, the iPhone app marketplace has MANY more apps, and that also means many better apps. I've had both (currently on Android) and while I love my phone, I miss the apps that are on iPhone that aren't on it. As far as I know there are no great apps that aren't on iPhone that are Android.

So that's pretty much all about applications... however the reason I currently have an Android personally is because I find it easier to run and find it more accesible to use. iPhone I found a bit clunky, but that could be me. Pretty much I have made no definitive discussion and this will be disregarded. If you want a phone that can double as almost anything else through the myriad of downloadable apps get an iPhone. If you are using a phone just as that and not much more I would say go for the Android, simply for its easy access and built in tools. Seriously Swype is great.

j0be
May 4th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Let me make two more plain and simple points.

Do you pirate? Go with Android, the app drm is basically non-existent.
Do you want to play games on your phone? Get iPhone. The quality of games on the Android pales in comparison

j0be
May 4th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Modded boot loader? that is serious. What did u mod it with. I'm running cyanogenmod 7 on droid 1. Gonna update soon.

Several nice tweaks, but I really do love the animation I stocked it with. (I know you get to see my phone number with this, but it won't be picked up by bots).

Here's the animation (http://ronaldtroyer.com/misc/bootanimation.swf)

cPT.cAPSLOCK
May 4th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Android ...
... offers you power, 'tweakability', and all the downsides that come with it. Because of all the different models (both very slow and very fast phones running the same apps), the user experience varies a LOT - and is far from optimal, except on the high-end phones, where it's decent. If you're willing to spend the time, you can get Android Exactly the way you want it, but especially to non-powerusers that can be hard.

Pros
-Lot's of (both paid and free) apps,
-Full control over your phone (customization, UI, etc. Though will require quite a few hours if you have specific wishes).

Cons:
-User experience
-Quality of apps, games

The iPhone
I myself am no fan of the iPhone, but "it just works". Don't expect to have a lot to choose though: for example, the homescreen is rather useless. Just a grid with icons, some displaying a counter for new items. That's it. Still, the app store simply is the largest one available. Pretty much everything is available.

Pros:
-Higher quality of apps than android
-"Just Works"

Cons:
-No widgets and the likes on homescreen (things like weather, traffic info, agenda, and so forth - all require opening their respective apps first).

The Alternative
I know you asked for a comparison of those two, but still I'd like to toss in an alternative: Microsoft has completely reset their mobile platform.
None of the complaints about the old (and crappy) Windows Mobile have ANYTHING to do with the new Windows Phone 7. WP7 has been built from the ground-up as replacement (instead of an update) of the old.
I've been using Windows Phone 7 for a few months now, and it's almost the perfect mix between Android and the iPhone.

The quality of apps is very high on WP7, and the marketplace is growing quickly. Pretty much all the big names are there already. Microsoft has set strict hardware requirements, so WP7 does not suffer from fragmentation like android does. In the meantime, developers get a much better SDK than those on the iPhone (leading to faster and better app and game development in WP7's favor). Also, WP7 gives you more customizability than the iPhone: WP7 has widgets (called 'live tiles'), and you can make some more changes like having a light or dark theme, and choosing a so-called 'accent color'.

Also, things get done much quicker on WP7 because the use of hubs:
For example, on the iPhone, you could open the camera app and take a picture. Then, you head for the home screen, and then look for the app to add some nice effects. Then, you visit the homescreen again to open facebook and upload the picture.

On WP7, you can take the picture, choose 'extras' in the menu and - tada - it instantly shows all apps you've got to edit pictures with. Once saved, you open the menu again and click upload to Facebook. Done.
There are many more examples where the hubs work great.

In my experience WP7 is smooth, fast, the apps are great, and this fall the OS is getting a literally massive update already.

Quoted from Gizmodo's review of the platform, When the platform had just released:

Windows Phone 7 is really great. A solid foundation, it's elegant and joyful. True, a lot of that greatness is potential. But if anybody can follow through on their platform, it's Microsoft. Should you buy this instead of an iPhone or Android phone though? In six months, after the ecosystem has filled out, the answer will be more clear. But right now, Window Phone is definitely an option. Considering where Microsoft was just a year ago, that's saying a hell of a lot.

Well, those six months are over, and the platform has proven to be excellent.

I really hope you can give WP7 some thought, because I made the jump and and I'm really really happy I did.
On AT&T, I'd recommend the Samsung Focus (the SAMOLED screen is just gorgeous) or whatever HTC they got. The LG phones have kind of shabby build quality.

If you're planning on doing some more research, there are good reviews on Engadget, Pocketnow, and Gizmodo (two techblogs and one smarthphone-oriented one). When reading those, keep in mind that the platform already had the 'NoDo' update adding features like copy & paste, performance improvements and bug fixes. In case you want more information about the update this fall, search for 'Mango'.

Pros
-User experience,
-Customizability
-Intergration (hubs, but also with facebook, skydrive, etc.),
-High quality apps
-Gorgeous UI
-It just works
-Almost every app has a free trial available, (often fully-functional with an advertisement).

Cons
-Relatively new, thus smaller marketplace (currently over 15,000, big names like Bank of America, iMDB, netflix, ... all available).
-No multitasking yet (will become available trough the Mango update this fall).

Conclusion
If you think you'll be a Power-user, go Android.
If you're more of a 'casual' user, go Windows Phone 7
Otherwise (if you're an Apple fanboy? ;) Really can't think of anything else to choose it over wp7 ) go iPhone.

Ra1th
May 4th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Several nice tweaks, but I really do love the animation I stocked it with. (I know you get to see my phone number with this, but it won't be picked up by bots).

Here's the animation (http://ronaldtroyer.com/misc/bootanimation.swf)

LOL this is so full of win! I like how your head just kinda pops up

Ra1th
May 4th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Conclusion

Otherwise (if you're an Apple fanboy? ;) Really can't think of anything else to choose it over wp7 ) go iPhone.

Or if you want a really kickass pair of headphones for FREE!

j0be
May 4th, 2011, 02:04 PM
As far as I know there are no great apps that aren't on iPhone that are Android.

Here's an awesome app in the Android Market that isn't in the Apple Store.
Dildroid (http://market.android.com/details?id=com.tracedeweb.core)

TCM Revolver
May 7th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Well the jury is in...I bought the iPhone 4 16gb and LOVE IT! Thanks guys for your input.

...sent from my iphone

smalls kenobi
May 10th, 2011, 05:35 PM
but what about easy to use buttons and lifealert? Jitterbug it's a new sexyness

i agree, the Jitterbug is revolutionary.

but if you're going to go android i suggest going the HTC route. I'm in love with how they attack the Android OS and HTC Sence is very user friendly. Although HTC is notorious for poor batterey life, they know how to make a damn good phone. the main thing i love about Android is the marketplace, it isnt as strict as the Apple App Store, there are plenty of apps to costumize your phone in many was that doesn't void your warranty. you can download launchers that almost completely change the way your phone works and looks one launcher i use is called LiveHome you can find videos on youtube about that and other launchers. if you love music then there are also apps to download free music dirrectly from your phone. android also has widgets, which is cool. but yeah, the Android Marketplace has manny apps that are free, have more options(mainly because developers have more freedom with adding more features that apple just straight up doesnt allow), and are just more convenient. That said, Apple does have some pretty cool games. but really, the only games i need on my phone are Robot Unicorn Attack(already on my Droid) and Techno Kitten Adventre(Coming Next Month) and i'm a happy camper :)

Drache
Aug 29th, 2022, 05:37 AM
Only Android. It's much simpler to use and it has more flexibility

I do agree with you. Droids forever!

Drache
Aug 29th, 2022, 05:37 AM
I'll never use anything but android phones. I got used to them very much