PDA

View Full Version : Zombies Using Guns?

Rock Daddy
May 3rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
Well, it's never been an issue in most zombie-based media because they've always had almost no intelligence, but W/A brings a scary thought to mind... What's stopping these zombies from using guns? Yes, most of them are just brutes, but there are SOME smart ones out there. If they're smart enough to hide, or drive a car into position to set a trap to catch humans, what's to stop them from using a gun to hunt their victims?

WestonWisdom
May 3rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
It took the one in the pinstripe suit several attempts to get the right combination to the tower, and he is one of the smarter ones and had been told the code, so I don't think it's a matter of intelligence, its a matter of cognitive skill, and even the smarter ones appear to lack it.

Kc
May 3rd, 2011, 02:07 PM
It took the one in the pinstripe suit several attempts to get the right combination to the tower, and he is one of the smarter ones and had been told the code, so I don't think it's a matter of intelligence, its a matter of cognitive skill, and even the smarter ones appear to lack it.
Maybe... maybe not. Maybe he just needs glasses...

Rock Daddy
May 3rd, 2011, 02:11 PM

Ahh! I would never think of something like that! Kc you have every possible equation of the W/A world, mapped out in your head don't you?! :)

WestonWisdom
May 3rd, 2011, 02:11 PM

If he needs glasses to type on a keypad a foot in front of him, he needs glasses to shoot at people.

Kc why must you tease....

Kc
May 3rd, 2011, 02:32 PM
All I'm doing is giving you a simple answer. Not saying it's the correct one, but it could be.

Teethingbiscuit
May 3rd, 2011, 05:46 PM
harha <br />
I'll venture my opinion as to cocked and loaded. The cars I would guess were all but running. by that I mean there was a charged battery, gas and key in the ignition. True it takes a bit to...

Rock Daddy
May 4th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Does everyone remember they are smart enough to make controlled fires in the arena??? How then can they... drive a car, comprehend a numeric code, mimic speech, and master the gift of fire... but operating a gun is beyond their grasp?! C'mon people! If they don't know how to use weapons now, they will soon either learn to use them or evolve to that point! dun DUN DUNNNN!

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
May 5th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Rock,

I'm gonna kinda agree wit'cha man! Any ability to set up an well thought out and complex ambush is going to have the ability to shoot a weapon.
On the flip side of that.. why would they want to? At some level, they're operating with their lizard brains. They're very primal and the cognitive process of "ah.. let me pick up this M16" isn't there. A caveman could set up traps just the same, but not be able to wrap their head around a firearm. Could they pick one up and pull the trigger? Sure.

Hell, I may be contradicting myself here.

"Suit" was/is intelligent enough to recognize and fear Saul's knife and had the sense enough to get the hell outta dodge even though he knew they were out of ammo.
So.. i guess I'll just go with the overwhelming desire to rend, tear and eat is the driving force.

We need an Antropologist and not someone who stayed at an Holiday Inn Extended, to really answer your question.

Rock Daddy
May 5th, 2011, 11:33 AM
LOL Thanks Crowbar

mascaria
May 5th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Maybe they don't use guns because they would rather eat live flesh?

Rock Daddy
May 5th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Maybe they don't use guns because they would rather eat live flesh?

I see the point. I guess the gun takes the fun out of the primal kill. They're zombies afterall; they like to bite. :) Most can only act on instinct. But I still feel that they are getting smarter, and it may be a cool twist in a later chapter.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
May 6th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I see the point. I guess the gun takes the fun out of the primal kill. They're zombies afterall; they like to bite. :) Most can only act on instinct. But I still feel that they are getting smarter, and it may be a cool twist in a later chapter.

Then they'd just end up being an offshoot of humanity. They'd basically be like the creatures on (one of my fav movies) "Ghosts of Mars."

Rock Daddy
May 9th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Then they'd just end up being an offshoot of humanity. They'd basically be like the creatures on (one of my fav movies) "Ghosts of Mars."

Good call Crowbar. Ya know, we have no clue how this thing can end. Michael might be reading his journel alone at the end of the story, in an "I Am Legend" fashion. (THE BOOK)
If you haven't read it, it's super good. I don't want to spoil for those who haven't read it, but it has parallels towards the end that follow these thoughts.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
May 9th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Rock,

I've seen the original Vincent Price movie from which this is derived. Does that count? LOL.

Rock Daddy
May 9th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Rock,

I've seen the original Vincent Price movie from which this is derived. Does that count? LOL.

LOL not sure. I'll have to see that. The book has them as zombie-like vampires, due to a pandemic. But there are 2 kinds. The undead ones are more primitive. But the living ones are like smart humans and use guns and traps in the end. They even develop the ability to withstand sunlight for short times. dun-dunnn-DUNNN. ;)

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
May 9th, 2011, 10:03 AM
The original movie was called "The Last Man on Earth" then a remake of that with Charleton Heston "The Omega Man" was made.
"I Am Legend" is a blend of "Omega Man" down to the Character's name but follows Prices' movie in theme. I never liked "Omega Man." The characters were pretty damn stupid!

cupcakezombie
May 10th, 2011, 01:29 AM
A few questions, what advantage over how they are now will they gain from using guns? Is there any drive for them to want to use guns?
We don't know if they have eaten the bodies that they took to the arena, only that they took them there (I think). This was a big pile, but they still went out looking for more. Maybe they prefer fresh meat, and using guns makes their food less tasty, so that might only become something they move to when food becomes harder to get.
So therefore, with the stockpile at the arena potentially gone there might be more pressure on them to ensure kills and they could start to learn to use guns. (Providing they have some guns and ammo)

rottenash
May 10th, 2011, 01:41 AM
saw this thread immediately thought of "day of the dead" when bub was learning to use the telephone...classic

Banvillin
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I think an important factor to the development of the zombies using guns will be WHO is the first to pick one up and make a kill. For that reason, my money is on Burt becoming the first gun-toting zombie because Shirley doesn't leave his side; he'd be holding onto her tight even as his skin gets bitten off.
As discussed in the "Who won't survive the Finale" thread, Burt's time is up. He's bound to go out in a heroic blaze of glory, sacrificing himself to save his friends but his actual death will be unwitnessed. Then in the next season, a shot is fired at Michael & Co from a pack of zombies, they turn to open fire and see... Burt.
He will definitely be the first. Mark My Words.

ToxicTofu
Jul 4th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I think an important factor to the development of the zombies using guns will be WHO is the first to pick one up and make a kill. For that reason, my money is on Burt becoming the first gun-toting zombie because Shirley doesn't leave his side; he'd be holding onto her tight even as his skin gets bitten off.
As discussed in the "Who won't survive the Finale" thread, Burt's time is up. He's bound to go out in a heroic blaze of glory, sacrificing himself to save his friends but his actual death will be unwitnessed. Then in the next season, a shot is fired at Michael & Co from a pack of zombies, they turn to open fire and see... Burt.
He will definitely be the first. Mark My Words.
I think ban, you and i... can get along ;P i would love to see burt be smart and come back as a villain

Luna Guardian
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:19 AM
I don't think WA zombies will ever use guns. If this were the case, I'd personally be very disappointed, as it would cause the creatures to be less of a "zombie" and more of a Resistance-esque Chimaera monster. Now, I love Resistance and I think Falling Skies is awesome, but zombies should never carry guns. I had a hard enough time adapting to them running.

On a more scientific note, as WestonWisdom pointed out right away, the likelyhood of zombies being capable of handling the mechanics of a gun are very slim. Pinstripe could only barely open the combination lock and the biters at the base couldn't open a door that had the keys in the lock.

Then again, we think we know that a zombie drove the truck that was used to ambush the other Tower's convoy, so it's not impossible. I just really hope it won't come to that.

ToxicTofu
Jul 5th, 2011, 08:27 AM
But these zombies are not the same slow walkers you saw in earlier times because they cause more stress. Sure if you get 300 slow zombies thats pretty bad but in this world even 2 biters could kill you easily, and faster than those 300 slow movers. Frankly they are actually a challenge. BUT they are not so much of a challenge that the tower (and other survivors) cant survive. This would be an extremely boring show if the zombies were slow, i mean think of all the characters that have died (named or not) that would still be here if all the zombies were slow. I understand the whole "back in my day" stuff but like i said you have to admit this story would not be the thing we all love if they were slow... (Lots of rambling :D) but the point is at any point Kc could throw a new type of zombie at us. Think about it, we don't know much about these special zombies as it is.. for all we know there could be 20 different kinds all over the world that just haven't gotten to dodge yet... it makes the story more interesting imo, that said i would love to see a slow zombie species that is like a tank (i mean damn hard to kill but not like the brutes they would be normal sized)

Luna Guardian
Jul 5th, 2011, 10:55 PM
But these zombies are not the same slow walkers you saw in earlier times because they cause more stress. Sure if you get 300 slow zombies thats pretty bad but in this world even 2 biters could kill you easily, and faster than those 300 slow movers. Frankly they are actually a challenge. BUT they are not so much of a challenge that the tower (and other survivors) cant survive.
Exactly, and I agree. However, if the zombies would suddenly learn how to use weapons, they'd become such a challenge that there'd be no way for the survivors to survive and still make it plausible, at least to me.